ADVERTISEMENT

The most impressive win of week two was.....

Don Bosco steam rolling Springville...should send a message to the doubters! This is a very solid football team.

He asked about the most impressive win. I don't think Don Bosco beating Springville is impressive. The "doubters" don't think Don Bosco isn't capable of beating teams. They just don't think they are capable of beating the best teams.

They didn't think they could last year either...you know what I said then? Time will tell...time will tell...it did last year... ;-)

Just checked the stats on this game and noticed DB's roster. Do they really have 45 guys out? How do they manage to get guys playing time? Grand View and Meskwaki, their next 2 opponents, don't even have that many out combined.

I think if you can get 30 plus out in 8 man you need to think about 11 man. Eight man was made for schools getting 20 or less kids out .

How many of those kids though are really ready and capable of playing varsity ball? Most of the schools you see with 30 or so kids out may only have 12-13 kids...maybe 14...that should really be on a varsity football field on Friday nights. And most of the time those schools with that many kids have a rich history or have done well lately and its expected for them to go out. They may never see the playing field but just being part of the team is what they are out for. To just be a part of the successful program they have at their school.

Originally posted by mtrain4854:
Just checked the stats on this game and noticed DB's roster. Do they really have 45 guys out? How do they manage to get guys playing time? Grand View and Meskwaki, their next 2 opponents, don't even have that many out combined.
Sounds like they are doing a great job of getting students involved in their program. They have a beds of 105. With 45 on their roster they probably have close to 95 % of the male population out for football. Can any 4A program boast of that kind of participation. Don Bosco fits within the footprint for 8 man. That's where they should be.

When you start punishing programs for being successful in promoting participation. You'll start seeing the decline in the sport among all programs thru out the state.

This post was edited on 9/9 7:54 AM by Voicefromthestands

I went to the game, and while Springville looks to be an average or slightly above average team, DB definitely looked good. I think losing as many seniors as Springville did, not in the least Nissen, they will improve as the year goes on. McDowell will do well on offense, but I think on defense is where they certainly miss the leadership of Nissen and Stewart. Just my opinion.

Check the rule boys. The classes are not based on how many kids you can get out. Why do you want to punish teams who can get kids involved? And why are you always trying to change the topic? My hat goes off to Don Bosco for being able to build a program that everyone (kids and the community) buy into.

I agree that Don Bosco looked good on Friday, but that does not mean much considering the quality of Springville's defense. It will be interesting to see how they stack up to a team that is willing to punch back!

I don't think it's a discussion of punishing a program for promoting participation. But, it does energize the fact that it is much more difficult for public schools to get players out vs. private schools.

I don't think it's a discussion of punishing a program for promoting participation. But, it does energize the fact that it is much more difficult for public schools to get players out vs. private schools.
Yeah, that's not a completely baseless opinion, or anything like that.

What does that have to do with anything? If anything, it speaks to the type of kids that go to private schools and their parents vs. Public kids/parents.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT