ADVERTISEMENT

Rules Changes 2019. Email I got today

Herdcyclones

Varsity
Jul 29, 2006
Direct copy from an email from Todd Tharp at the Association. The press released LINKED HERE has all the rule changes for 2019, including about jerseys, and tripping among other things.

Please find attached the press release from the NFHS regarding the national rules change for the sport of football for the 2019 season.

I want to draw your attention to three of seven rules changes.

1. 40 Second Play Clock. Let me begin by saying I appreciate all the feedback received from you regarding your thoughts on this potential rule change. I recorded all the results and found that slightly over half of you were not in favor of making the change. I voted "NO" for this proposal, but the sentiment of the country was pretty strong in favor and the rule proposal was adopted by a vote of 45 states in favor and 5 against. I want to emphasize that this rule proposal IS NOT REQUIRING SCHOOLS TO PURCHASE PLAY CLOCKS. If you currently have a play clock, some minor adjustments will need to be made to your scoreboard counsel. In addition, the purchase of a $100 toggle switch may be needed depending on the brand of scoreboard that you have purchased. This will result in the ability have both 40 second counts and 25 second counts. If you currently do not have a play clock, the officials will continue to use their own devices to time and use their mechanics to indicate when the play clock is close to running down. In addition, the IHSAA will schedule training sessions in all five representative districts during the summer to work with schools, their clock operators and officials regarding the mechanics of when the play clock is to be set for 40 seconds and when it is to be set for 25 seconds.

2. State Adoption of Instant Replay During the Postseason. Rule 1-7 allows for states to adopt reasonable accommodations for the sport of football. Currently, there are 16 different adoptions that states can use. These adoptions vary from the size of the football to be used for players below the 9th grade level, to the permission to shorten quarters, to establishing a point differential for a running clock, to the use of supplementary equipment to aid in game administration. The 17th adoption deals with the use of instant replay during the post season. In order for this adoption to be approved in Iowa, the IHSAA Board of Control would need to approve this for use. If it was to be approved, my recommendation would be to use it only during the semi-finals and finals where we have 4 different cameras already in use for broadcasting purposes. The scope of what would be reviewed would be determined by the IHSAA. Again, in order to use instant replay, the IHSAA Board of Control would need to vote to allow it. There would be costs involved in this operation as additional personnel and other elements would need to be included.

3. Legal Scrimmage Formation. A legal scrimmage formation now requires only 5 offensive players on their line of scrimmage. All 5 of these players need to be numbered 50-79 and they are not eligible pass receivers. Even though only 5 are now required on the line of scrimmage, only four backs are allowed. In 8 player, you will need to only have 3 on the line of scrimmage, but still only 3 backs are eligible receivers.

This formation change will make it easier for officials to identify legal and illegal formations.

Not sure about the 40 sec play clock vs 25 or legal scrimmage formation. But the IR proposal is overdue...as in it would have sure been welcome in 2018's Bett/DHS 4A semifinal game/debacle!

Not sure about the 40 sec play clock vs 25 or legal scrimmage formation. But the IR proposal is overdue...as in it would have sure been welcome in 2018's Bett/DHS 4A semifinal game/debacle!
Rule about 5 on the line is extrememly confusing or seems unnecessary? you still cannot go 5 wide with only the lineman on the line?

Rule about 5 on the line is extrememly confusing or seems unnecessary? you still cannot go 5 wide with only the lineman on the line?

The rule about 5 men on the LOS is basically just so the offense isn't penalized should it have less than 11 players on the field and so the officials really only have to count players in the backfield...which would be a maximum of 4.

An offense can still only have a maximum of 4 players in the backfield. So if an offensive team has 11 players in the field, then it must have at least 7 players on the LOS. If there are less than 10 players on the field for the offense, then again a maximum of 4 can be in the backfield but then only 5 are required to be on the LOS.

So a team could line up with 5 offensive linemen, a QB and 3 RB off the LOS, and it would still be a legal formation even though the offense only has 9 players on the field. In years past, this would be a penalty because the offense didn't have 7 players on the LOS. A team could actually have a legal formation with as few as 6 players on the field...5 OL and 1 QB = Legal Formation.

Just remember, there really is no change to how an offense can line up in a formation, so it is again just really about allowing the officials to pretty much only have to count the players off the LOS which can be a maximum of 4. Hope that helps!

Reactions: Herdcyclones
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT