ADVERTISEMENT

Rich get richer....

No one will touch this team in 1A. What a talented front court!

Rumor is Mach Nyaw and Sam Glenn aren't returning. With Demeulenare graduated, they'll have very little guard experience or production. They will be good, but how good remains to be seen.

Rumor is Mach Nyaw and Sam Glenn aren't returning. With Demeulenare graduated, they'll have very little guard experience or production. They will be good, but how good remains to be seen.

There's another Glenn on varsity, I'm assuming he would be leaving in addition to his bother? How about Samake? Pretty sure he's living with the Glenn family.

Not trying to call you out as I don't know the ins/outs of the GVC community, just think there's some things missing.

Nyaw is going back to Storm Lake and the Glenn boys will be at Southeast Polk. Only returning guard is Bryce Crabb.

Nyaw is going back to Storm Lake and the Glenn boys will be at Southeast Polk.

That is what I heard as well.

My guess at a starting lineup:
Crabb, Montes and Samake will be back, so I'd guess they'd be the front court. Probably Kong Neyail and maybe Andrew Gatto or Gage Fry at guard? Or they could go tall and put Crabb or Andrew Long at off guard?

SSGT - I get where you're coming from.

There's another Glenn on varsity, I'm assuming he would be leaving in addition to his bother? How about Samake? Pretty sure he's living with the Glenn family.

Not trying to call you out as I don't know the ins/outs of the GVC community, just think there's some things missing.
Ya, Samake is going to SEP with the Glenns and I believe Neyail went to Storm Lake with Nyaw. GV is really going to struggle next year. How was their JV last year, cause I bet some of those guys will have to step up and play big minutes.

Also, Gatto and Long are going to ACA next year and Crabb is quitting basketball to concentrate on his baseball career.

Wow!!! Back to back titles with 108 kids. Must have some damn good coaching. Surely can't be any recruiting!! This is what gives the private schools a bad rap.
Technically, the BED numbers are only 3 grades, something around 75% of the HS student body, so they have more than 108 kids....just saying
Serious question....Is AAU more important today than HS ball?
Also, saw a report their transfer from East could take over the point next season...he also is playing AAU...I heard the coach want the players to play summer ball somewhere...Oh and as far as the coaching, he has won where every he has coached, definitely a great coach, great game time coaching, great scheme guy

Last edited:
Reactions: iowalongs230
I suppose it really shouldn't surprise us that when kids watch stars like Lebron and Durant join loaded teams to make Title runs, that we will see that same attitude trickle down to even high school teams.

Their role models do it. It works. We'll continue to see more of it.

Technically, the BED numbers are only 3 grades, something around 75% of the HS student body, so they have more than 108 kids....just saying
Serious question....Is AAU more important today than HS ball?
Also, saw a report their transfer from East could take over the point next season...he also is playing AAU...I heard the coach want the players to play summer ball somewhere...Oh and as far as the coaching, he has won where every he has coached, definitely a great coach, great game time coaching, great scheme guy

Has Coach Stubbs coached anywhere besides a private school? I know he has been at Des Moines Christian and now Grandview Christian. His high success rate could correlate to where he has coached.

As for AAU it has definitely grown but to overtake high school hoops? I highly doubt it. Will be interesting to see what happens if the NCAA gets their way and eliminates the July evaluation period and creates regional camps instead for the top tier players where invites are handed out to get to those camps. I don't think it kills AAU by any means but makes the summer part of AAU different and interesting to see what teams would be like.

I believe Stubbs coached at Central College in addition to DMC and GVC.

Apparently, he was let go from Central because of a lack of recruiting.

[Sarcasm]

How many "students" does Grand View have?
The school has grown from 260 K-12 when it reorganized in the fall of 2014 to over 400 at the end of last year. As of June 12, the school Facebook page reported that over 400 students had already been registered for the 2018-2019 school year (at that same point the previous year, registrations had numbered 348).

It has grown to the point where they have outgrown their current K-12 facility and the high school is moving to a different facility (actually where the former school used to be on E. 33rd in Des Moines).

Why do kids find it so appealing to transfer to a 1A Christian school? Could you imagine Samake at Dowling playing in the CIML night in and night out? That would be a lot of fun to watch. Surprised he doesn't want to face better competition night in and night out.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, and I can't say for sure in that specific case because I don't know everything about his situation personally, but here are some possibilities:

1) GVCS is independent and have increased the level of their schedule last year and this year, facing a lot of non-1A schools. For example this year I believe they face Iowa City West (will take a beating but it will be a good experience).

2) Others who are more knowledgeable than I am have said that AAU is where you get noticed, not necessarily high school ball.

3) Maybe it's about more than basketball?

Reactions: SSG T and Pinehawk
Wow!!! Back to back titles with 108 kids. Must have some damn good coaching. Surely can't be any recruiting!! This is what gives the private schools a bad rap.

2018-19 BEDS of last season's 1A State tournament teams...

GVC - 108
North Linn - 166 (I think they'll move to 2A this year)
Edgewood-Colesburg - 116
Don Bosco - 84
George-Little Rock - 103
St Albert - 136
St Mary's - 48
Lynnville-Sully - 117

Two of the other private schools have significantly less enrollment than GVC.

To be honest, I'd look for GVC to be 2A in not too long (maybe 3-4 years). They could compete at the 2A level in basketball right now, maybe even 3A.

Why do kids find it so appealing to transfer to a 1A Christian school? Could you imagine Samake at Dowling playing in the CIML night in and night out? That would be a lot of fun to watch. Surprised he doesn't want to face better competition night in and night out.

Not necessarily a private school, but I much prefer having my kids in a 1A school compared to a 4A. We live not that far from a 3A/4A sized school, we get a lot of open-enrollments from them (around 25-30 this year). I went to a smaller 3A school, around 420 HS students, that would be about the biggest I'd want my kids in.

Now, being a stud in one particular sports might change the thought process a bit, but we have one of the best lineman in the state, who is getting recruited by D1 schools, and we play 8 man. If they are good, they'll get recognized and recruited.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, and I can't say for sure in that specific case because I don't know everything about his situation personally, but here are some possibilities:

1) GVCS is independent and have increased the level of their schedule last year and this year, facing a lot of non-1A schools. For example this year I believe they face Iowa City West (will take a beating but it will be a good experience).

2) Others who are more knowledgeable than I am have said that AAU is where you get noticed, not necessarily high school ball.

3) Maybe it's about more than basketball?

1. Good luck vs ICW!
2. Yes, exposure on the AAU circuit is important.
3. It’s not, and you know it, but feel free to keep spinning it that way. For Coach Stubbs and his family, it’s always been about basketball. You don’t move your kids from school to school because your craving better Christian curriculum.

1. Good luck vs ICW!
3. It’s not, and you know it, but feel free to keep spinning it that way. For Coach Stubbs and his family, it’s always been about basketball. You don’t move your kids from school to school because your craving better Christian curriculum.

Do you know the coach and his family personally? Been part of their family discussions on the subject? I would assume there are a myriad of factors that influence the decision. Can you share some of those?

1. Good luck vs ICW!
We weren't talking about the coach, we were talking about the player but somehow for you it always comes back to this family. You obviously have something against them, we get it.

Yeah...I've sat at their kitchen table and talked to them about it....lol... And, how can you have a discussion about GVC without a discussion about the coaches? Sorry, but they are intertwined.

Yes, I do know Coach Stubbs and his family. Do I have anything against them personally? Nothing major, but they are out in the public, and by proxy, open to some criticism. What I do have problem with is the phoniness that they exhibit. Now, you can sit there and tell me that it is all about the education, but c'mon...it isn't. You don't transfer your two youngest children out of their prior school almost 90 days to the day if you aren't just looking for somewhere else to play basketball. Do other families do it too? Yep, all the time, but lets call it what it is. At GVC they have found a home that will let them recruit top talent, and apparently, catch little or no grief from regular families who want to attend a Christian school and also play sports. Obviously iowalongs is a school parent, and must be ok with the status quo, especially as long as championships are being won. Great, good for you! But just don't try to spin the situation for something it isn't....

Reactions: Bulldog198240
Yeah...I've sat at their kitchen table and talked to them about it....lol... And, how can you have a discussion about GVC without a discussion about the coaches? Sorry, but they are intertwined.

Yes, I do know Coach Stubbs and his family. Do I have anything against them personally? Nothing major, but they are out in the public, and by proxy, open to some criticism. What I do have problem with is the phoniness that they exhibit. Now, you can sit there and tell me that it is all about the education, but c'mon...it isn't. You don't transfer your two youngest children out of their prior school almost 90 days to the day if you aren't just looking for somewhere else to play basketball. Do other families do it too? Yep, all the time, but lets call it what it is. At GVC they have found a home that will let them recruit top talent, and apparently, catch little or no grief from regular families who want to attend a Christian school and also play sports. Obviously iowalongs is a school parent, and must be ok with the status quo, especially as long as championships are being won. Great, good for you! But just don't try to spin the situation for something it isn't....

I certainly hope you hold all coaches and kids to the same standard. Have you posted similar opinions about other similar situations? What is your connection to the coach or the school?

Oh, so his kids left your school and you're still upset...
Well, it happens at every school, so you should try to get over it.

I certainly hope you hold all coaches and kids to the same standard. Have you posted similar opinions about other similar situations? What is your connection to the coach or the school?

Do ya hope? Nope, I haven’t...isn’t the internet wonderful?

My connection? None! Again...wonderful!

Not necessarily a private school, but I much prefer having my kids in a 1A school compared to a 4A. We live not that far from a 3A/4A sized school, we get a lot of open-enrollments from them (around 25-30 this year). I went to a smaller 3A school, around 420 HS students, that would be about the biggest I'd want my kids in.

Now, being a stud in one particular sports might change the thought process a bit, but we have one of the best lineman in the state, who is getting recruited by D1 schools, and we play 8 man. If they are good, they'll get recognized and recruited.
I agree in terms of college recruiting, if you are good enough you will be discovered regardless of what level you play at(AAU Club ball allows that). I just think that someone with elite talent like Samake would probably rather play at a large school Christian school to play against the best competition possible. Could you imagine a DJ Carton or Patrick McCaffery transferring to a 1A school? Normally, the best want to be challenged and play the best night in and night out. These two benefit from playing in two of the top basketball conferences in the state for example...the competition makes them better.

I agree in terms of college recruiting, if you are good enough you will be discovered regardless of what level you play at(AAU Club ball allows that). I just think that someone with elite talent like Samake would probably rather play at a large school Christian school to play against the best competition possible. Could you imagine a DJ Carton or Patrick McCaffery transferring to a 1A school? Normally, the best want to be challenged and play the best night in and night out. These two benefit from playing in two of the top basketball conferences in the state for example...the competition makes them better.

It won’t be long before everything is “club or AAU” athletics. Family’s spend thousands of dollars on this stuff. You think they are going to let their kid play high school athletics if they aren’t getting the playing time the parents think they should be getting? Not getting exposure? Look around at other states. High school athletics will eventually be for those kids who can’t make the “ elite” travel teams. All about the money in AAU

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT