ADVERTISEMENT

Raccoon River Conference

Well ADM got the help it needed and gets a tie for first as Carlisle gets a big upset win last night against Ballard. Apparently they just have Ballard's number giving them 2 of their 3 conference losses. So here is how things finished in conference;

ADM 11-3
Ballard 11-3
Perry 8-6
B-F 7-7
Winterset 6-8
Boone 5-9
Carroll 4-10
Carlisle 4-10

ADM is the biggest surprise as they really benefited from an influx of new talent. Also surprised with Perry under performing a bit and Winterset doing better than many expected. Overall it was a very competitive and fun year in the Raccoon River. Now let's see if anyone can make some postseason noise.

While I haven't been able to see all of the teams play, here is my stab at a 5 man team regardless of position and no particular order.

Shammond Ivory - Perry
Jaden Moody - Ballard
Matt Larsen - ADM
Max Evans - Carlisle
Payton Conrad - ADM

I hesitate letting Evans on the team as he's on last place Carlisle, but he's playing well on a bad team.

You can call Carlisle bad I guess... But look at quikstats. They lost 6 straight by a total of 24 points. Combine that with a new coach/system and 4 of their top 8 players being sophomores or freshmen (and all from the Carlisle district ;-) ) and it's really a different story. I went to the game Friday night vs Ballard because I thought it would be good, they had that little old gym packed/loud and nearly ran Ballard out of the gym until some foul trouble with Evans and Schmitt in the 4th. They beat the conference champs twice and honestly just looked like a good young team trying to figure out how to win. I was impressed. But yes I agree on paper in the W/L column they look like a bad team.

Fun season. There is some good, young talent at most schools I saw.The two bottom teams had some really good young players and as the above poster stated, Carlisle in particular lost some games by small margins.

Who votes on the conference teams and when do they normally come out? I am assuming that it is just the coaches.

Who of the RR teams are primed for a "run"? Some teams are hot and some have under-performed.

I dont think there is a team that is primed for a run.
Carroll will likely lose to Harlan
Carlisle plays Bondurant and who ever wins that is lucky enough to get thumped by Pella next round.
Ballard will also lose to Pella if they make it out of their bracket.
ADM plays Boone, Perry plays DCG all in the same bracket. It's really stupid to have that many conference teams playing each other. Why make someone play someone for a 3rd time?
Either way, I'd bet on DCG coming out of that.
Then Winterset has to play Atlantic.
The winner of ADM, Boone, Perry, DCG will have to play Atlantic or Glenwood.
It's not a good post season for the RRC on paper.

If someone makes a run, It will because something stupid happens, like Carlisle sneaking past Pella because Pella tripped getting off the bus.
I dont mean any disrespect, but I've seen Pella recently. I don't know if anyone in the state can beat them.

Let's be realistic, there just aren't that many Class 3A schools to try to split up the conference schools from each other in the different substates. One could argue that in any class and any part of the state.

I do agree with you. The odds of a RRC school advancing past their substate isn't likely.

Why make someone play someone for a 3rd time?

Well ADM got the help it needed and gets a tie for first as Carlisle gets a big upset win last night against Ballard. Apparently they just have Ballard's number giving them 2 of their 3 conference losses. So here is how things finished in conference;

ADM 11-3
Ballard 11-3
Perry 8-6
B-F 7-7
Winterset 6-8
Boone 5-9
Carroll 4-10
Carlisle 4-10

ADM is the biggest surprise as they really benefited from an influx of new talent. Also surprised with Perry under performing a bit and Winterset doing better than many expected. Overall it was a very competitive and fun year in the Raccoon River. Now let's see if anyone can make some postseason noise.

ADM appears to be graduating little except for their big guy. With their coaching staff showing their willingness to accept and play transfers this year I would not be surprised if that attracts a quality big man to their program for next year.

ADM will be the school to beat in the RRC next year and with a year of team playtime for all these transfers that came together this year they may even make some noise outside of the RRC.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
I think if anyone will make a run it could be ADM or Perry, mainly because they have the best matchups in the postseason. I wouldn't be shocked to see either get hot and win three games, but I am not counting on it happening either.

In other news Perry's coach, Ned Menke, was named the Character Counts Coach of the Year by the IAHSAA. Pretty cool honor to a coach who definitely deserves it. A real class act all around.

Well I guess the RRC had a little postseason noise in them after all with two big wins by Perry and Ballard last night beating teams many had predicted them to lose to. Perry is playing by far the best they have all season, if they can keep up this defensive intensity I could see them playing at the Well.

The upset of the night has to go to Boone though as they take down ADM. Boone had played ADM tough their first two matchups and it is always very hard to beat a team three times in one year. Boone really just seemed to play with more energy all night and ADM had a rough go of it shooting the ball. Tough way to end what has been a great season for ADM.

I could see Perry and Ballard both going on the substate final, but it would take big upsets to get to state.

Perry will get past Boone, but would then have to face the winner of Glenwood and Atlantic. Both teams are really good. Glenwood has tough guards and Atlantic has some height.

Ballard should win vs Nevada, but they will get drilled by a talented Pella team. Pella is one of the top 3 Class 3A teams in the state.

I don't see Ballard keeping it within 15 vs Pella. If S. Ivory can stay out of foul trouble and Perry's bigs play with the energy they did the other night they can play with both Glenwood and Atlantic. Was impressed what I saw from Puente (Perry) they other night, some really patient nice moves in the paint. Although Perry could be doomed by there poor FT shooting - I'd like to see the Atlantic/Perry matchup. Of course they have to beat Boone..smh.

Well the RRC gets three district champs. Kind of a surprise actually. Especially for Carroll to knock off Harlan. I guess all those tough conference games got these teams prepared for the postseason. That said it would still take a pretty big upset to see one of these three at state. Perry probably has the best shot. They have been playing their best basketball these last few games and are peaking at the right time. I think they can give Glenwood a good fight. Ballard would have to have a perfect game to beat Pella, and even then Pella could still take it. I can't see Carroll getting another huge upset, but crazy things happen in the postseason.

Glenwood is really good and should beat Perry. However, Perry does have some serious matchup problems for Glenwood so it should be a good game.
I'd say Glenwood should beat Perry based off of being the better team. But I will not be the slightest bit surprised if Perry knocks them off.

Perry pulls it off and the RRC will be represented at state. Perry has been playing at a whole different level this postseason. It was a great win vs Glenwood, especially great to see kids step up when Shammond fouled out. Now to see if they could pull off the huge upset and beat Pella. Either way a great way to end the year after what had been a bit of a disapointing regular season for the Bluejays.

Like I said yesterday, I'm not surprised at all that Perry beat Glenwood. That being said, they absolutely will not beat Pella.
Shammond cant play at that pace for 4 quarters.
But I'm the same guy that says no one will beat Pella.
... and I despise all things Pella.

IowaPride must be a DCG guy.

Football: Pella 37 DCG 7 (2015) Pella 45 DCG 14 (2014)

Basketball: Pella 72 DCG 71, Pella 67 DCG 34 (2015-2016) Pella 47 DCG 54, Pella 89 DCG 48

Track & Field: Dutch Little Hawkeye Champs (Last few years)

Soccer: Pella 1 DCG 0 (2015) Pella 1 DCG 0 (2014)

Baseball: Even series but Pella won at State

Going to be an interesting year in the Raccoon - hard to argue with Luke's predictions but anyone in the top 4 could win the conf. title. I think Carlisle finishes higher than predicted..

Predicted Conference Standings:

A-D-M, Adel

Perry

Carroll

Ballard

Boone

Bondurant-Farrar

Carlisle

Winterset

The RRC looks like it will be highly competitive again this year. I don't see an elite team in the group but lots of very solid squads from top to bottom. Should make for some great games as the year goes on. Whoever wins the conference may very well do it with 3 or 4 losses. I think the top 5 or even 6 teams could all be right there with each other at the end. Right now ADM has to be the favorite but Carroll, Ballard, Perry and Boone are all right there and I don't think Carlisle is too far behind them. It will be fun to see how it all shakes out.

Reactions: lmontag6
ADM is the favorite? No way they end up with 3-4 losses....I wonder if they pick up 3-4 wins in the conference! Boom!

As a whole, the RRC is down, but Carroll is definitely the favorite.

The RRC looks like it will be highly competitive again this year. I don't see an elite team in the group but lots of very solid squads from top to bottom. Should make for some great games as the year goes on. Whoever wins the conference may very well do it with 3 or 4 losses. I think the top 5 or even 6 teams could all be right there with each other at the end. Right now ADM has to be the favorite but Carroll, Ballard, Perry and Boone are all right there and I don't think Carlisle is too far behind them. It will be fun to see how it all shakes out.

Uh oh mtdew, a day later and ADM goes and beats Carroll by 14. I think that is just going to be the nature of the conference this year. Everyone can beat everyone and nobody really stands out as the clear best team. At the break Boone, Carroll and Carlisle sit up top at 3-1 in conference with Perry and ADM a game behind at 2-2. Right now any of those teams have a realistic shot at winning the conference. There is a lot of basketball left to play that is for sure.

Reactions: lmontag6
Ha ha. Wow.

Uh oh mtdew, a day later and ADM goes and beats Carroll by 14. I think that is just going to be the nature of the conference this year. Everyone can beat everyone and nobody really stands out as the clear best team. At the break Boone, Carroll and Carlisle sit up top at 3-1 in conference with Perry and ADM a game behind at 2-2. Right now any of those teams have a realistic shot at winning the conference. There is a lot of basketball left to play that is for sure.

Carroll easily beats Perry and Winterset who both beat ADM (Perry by a large margin) and then Carroll turns around and gets beat by double digits by ADM.

What does that really tell us? I'm a firm believer that "good" teams really are consistent and right now there is no one team being consistent in the RRC.

Easy to see why DCG left.

Interesting......this is coming from a DCG homer.

Carroll easily beats Perry and Winterset who both beat ADM (Perry by a large margin) and then Carroll turns around and gets beat by double digits by ADM.

What does that really tell us? I'm a firm believer that "good" teams really are consistent and right now there is no one team being consistent in the RRC.

DCG left 4 years ago...yawn. + They had 1conference title the 6 years prior to leaving.

DCG left 4 years ago...yawn. + They had 1conference title the 6 years prior to leaving.

Thank you. My point exactly. There was nothing in the RRC to push the DCG program. (Yawn is correct). They had to suck it up or get eaten when they moved.

DCG is a better program with higher expectations for leaving the RRC. No knock on the RRC or its members, it's just that the time was right for DCG to move up especially if someday they find themselves in 4A.

DCG - thanks for playing.....don't let the door kick you in the rear.

Thank you. My point exactly. There was nothing in the RRC to push the DCG program. (Yawn is correct). They had to suck it up or get eaten when they moved.

DCG is a better program with higher expectations for leaving the RRC. No knock on the RRC or its members, it's just that the time was right for DCG to move up especially if someday they find themselves in 4A.

DCG - thanks for playing.....don't let the door kick you in the rear.

All I am saying is how many times has DCG gone to state in basketball since leaving the RRC? Something pushed the program to get better.

One only has to look back to last year at state when a RRC member got smoked by 40 in the first round by a Little Hawkeye member.

I'm not from this area and just moved here a couple years ago so I don't know much about the history. I am guessing though that the growth of population and wealth in Grimes these past few years has as much or more to do with DCG's success than switching conferences. The rapid expansion in that area certainly can't hurt. Whatever the cause DCG has built themselves a fine program and are competing at a high level year in and year out.

I have to say though from an outsider's perspective I have noticed a lot of animosity from DCG fans toward their old RRC competitors. More so than the other way around. The fact that DCG fans have to come into this thread to tear down the conference while building themselves up sort of proves that. I find it kind of weird. But again I don't know the full history there.

I also wouldn't go so far as to say there are no good team in the RRC. I guess it depends on your definition of "good". There are certainly no elites teams. Nobody in conference is going to be pushing for a state title. I'm not even sure if there is a top 10 team in there. But I also don't think there are any just horrible teams either. I would say most teams fall in that 15-30 range. For me a team just outside the top ten would still be considered good. Like Perry last year. A team that could compete and win against a lot of 3A teams but was still far behind the elite teams like Pella. It was still a good team but no where near a state championship level squad. I think the RRC has a lot of teams similar to that again this year.

I'd agree. Let's be honest here.....not many teams are as consistently good as Pella is every year.

A few teams in the RRC have had some good runs in the past 10 years. ADM was in the State Tourney semi-finals a few times and Carroll was too.

This year, the RRC is just down.

I'd agree. Let's be honest here.....not many teams are as consistently good as Pella is every year.

A few teams in the RRC have had some good runs in the past 10 years. ADM was in the State Tourney semi-finals a few times and Carroll was too.

This year, the RRC is just down.

Looks like the RRC got a nice win over the Little Hawkeye Tuesday night.

Boone goes down to ADM last night giving the conference a three way tie at the top with Boon, Carroll, and Perry all at 4-2. ADM, Carlisle, and Winterset are all just a game behind. Everything is still very much up for grabs. Big game next week with Perry going to Boone. Perry has been playing very well after a bit of a rough start but Boone will be tough to beat at home especially coming off a loss.

Crazy finish to the ADM v Winterset game last night. Boone and ADM seem to be playing the best right now with Carlisle right there with them. A lot of games left though and Perry or Carroll could still get hot and roll off a bunch of wins. Winterset is playing really well right now as well. I think it may come down to the last game of the year. I will give Boone the edge right now though to win the conference. Hit the link to see ADM's crazy buzzer beater.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/vi...5/adm-(adel)-beats-winterset-buzzer/97031192/

Reactions: ustabe
Looks like Boone is the conference champ this year. They have a two game lead on 2nd place Perry and even if they lose their last two conference games would be looking at worst a tie for first. Sets up a big game tonight as they go to Perry with Perry hoping to win out and get some help from ADM in Boone's last conference game to get a tie for the title. I am thinking Boone will win at least one if not both these last couple conference games though and win it outright.

Boone earned the title this year as they have been the most consistent team in the conference all season. They have good guards and some bigs down low to give them a post presence. ADM, Carroll, Carlisle, and Perry have all just been too streaking. They will look real good one game then play bad the next. It will be interesting to see if any of them can get hot now going into the postseason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT