ADVERTISEMENT

Raccoon River Conference

Perry's coach has been there a few years, not sure what the exact number is. Obviously not a whole long time as he is a young guy. In hindsight putting Shammond in with three fouls was a big mistake but at the time I could understand why he did it. Perry had the ball with 13 seconds left, he was put in just to take the final shot. If everything goes to plan there should be very little risk of picking up a foul in 13 seconds with the ball, things didn't go according to plan though and he picked up his 4th with literally no time left on the clock. It was a calculated risk that backfired in a big way.

He is a good coach who has worked very hard to take Perry, a school with a historically bad basketball program, and make them legitimate. Himself, he is one of the most composed coaches I have ever seen on the sideline, just seems to never get upset. Unfortunately that has not rubbed off on the players. Last night he was put at a big disadvantage with the two guys out and was forced to decide to play a clearly frustrated Shammond in foul trouble or kids who have very little to no varsity playing time. I think a lot of coaches would have made the same decision he did. Perry has a good group of kids but they wear their emotions on their sleeves at all times. When things are going good their demeanor shows it and when things are going bad it shows as well. They need to learn to keep their emotions in check during the course of a game and not let bad calls make them play bad.

And cid, I cannot verify that personally but was told as much by a very reputable source who would know. I don't want to harp on the officiating too much though. I was clearly fired up about it last night enough as it was. Like I said, ADM was the better team last night and deserved to win. There is still a whole lot of basketball to be played though and a whole lot of ways the conference can shake out.

Ballard and Carlisle both squeaked out close wins. I am especially surprised to see Carlisle knock off B-F, I guess B-F is still that inconsistent team from last year. And Winterset gets it's first win against Boone, can't say I saw that one coming either. It was a night of strange games in the Raccoon River, that is for sure.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Wow.....so much for me guaranteeing Perry to win. It sounds like ADM (aka - Waukee Intramural Transfer Squad) was able to pull it together.

I didn't get to see the game, but I am looking forward to their rematch in Adel!!

The rematch might be more of the same. Perry is 4-4. If you look at current records the 4 wins are against teams with losing records while the 4 loses are against teams with winning records. ADMs 2 losses are non conference and they definitely appear to have scheduled the tougher non conference foes than Perry.

Wasn't at last nights game but I have seen Ivory playing out of control in the past which often lands him into foul trouble.

I would hope the coaches error in the first half was losing track of how many fouls he had because if he knew he had 3 he should have protected him. Especially the way the game was going.

Anyone know if the 2 Ts will impact his playing status for the next game?
Has to sit out Fridays game against Winterset.

Tajen Ross - Jr. Transfer from Waukee (starts)
Jared Sapp - Jr. Transfer from Waukee (sub)
Cole Knoll - So. Move in from Stuart(?)
Payton Conrad - Move in from Lakeville, MN

According to QS from Perry's game it looks like:

Ross: Started.
Sapp: Played but didn't start.
Knoll : Started.
Conrad: Started.

Regardless of who came from where and why it's clear to see that ADM's sudden success this season is happening with players that didn't attend ADM last year. Matter of fact if Imontag6 is correct it appears 3 of the 4 kids have come from bordering school districts.

Doubt ADM solicited anybody but with their proximity to larger schools in the DM area this could be the start of a trend for their basketball program. Probably a lot of good kids in the western burbs who aren't in the top 5 or 7 at their current school and not happy with their situation who are noticing the play time and success these kids are getting.

Could be possible even some of these kids could find themselves out spots next year due to more transfers. Might be a risky move for kids to jump from one school to another for sports and suddenly find out that someone better had the same idea.

Last edited:
According to QS from Perry's game it looks like:

Ross: Started.
Sapp: Played but didn't start.
Knoll : Started.
Conrad: Started.

Regardless of who came from where and why it's clear to see that ADM's sudden success this season is happening with players that didn't attend ADM last year. Matter of fact if Imontag6 is correct it appears 3 of the 4 kids have come from bordering school districts.

Doubt ADM solicited anybody but with their proximity to larger schools in the DM area this could be the start of a trend for their basketball program. Probably a lot of good kids in the western burbs who aren't in the top 5 or 7 at their current school and not happy with their situation who are noticing the play time and success these kids are getting.

Could be possible even some of these kids could find themselves out spots next year due to more transfers. Might be a risky move for kids to jump from one school to another for sports and suddenly find out that someone better had the same idea.

Does this happen quite a bit in the metro area?

ADM has definitely benefited from their transfers, there is no denying that. I too am interested to see if this is a trend that will continue into the future. Schools like Waukee and Urbandale have very competitive basketball programs for kids to try and make a name for themselves, it is much easier to move over to a close by 3A school and get to have an immediate impact with little competition for your spot. One thing is for sure, it really didn't help them against Harlan on Saturday.

Perry finally got some composure there last two games, even though one resulted in a loss to a solid Roland-Story team. They still have some work to do as a team but it was good to see them control their emotions and just play basketball for a change. Hopefully now they can get healthy and still make a run in the postseason. It will be an interesting game tonight against B-F who seems to be struggling a bit as of late in their own right. Perry probably can't afford any more conference losses if they want to repeat as champs.

Does this happen quite a bit in the metro area?

Not sure how much this is happening CID. It seems to be just the opposite of the way things work usually. In the past it typically has been a strong program that kids will rush to and try to become a part of. In this instance you have a program that is down and kids are coming to it because they feel they have a greater chance of playing. As far as ADM themselves they have probably been hit by this situation both ways. The lineman at Iowa who graduated from Waukee actually attended ADM through middle school before he decided to attend high school a few miles down the road.

Not surprised Harlan blew ADM out. I've only seen the new kids at ADM once and while they have got some basketball skills they lack size and didn't seem to possess an overabundance of athleticism to compensate for that. Harlan is a legit top 5 3A team with plenty of skill and athletic ability.

With ADM being on top of the RRC their outcome with Harlan once again illustrates just how ineffective the RRC has become in the 3A big picture.

Crazy night of upsets last night! B-F gives ADM their first conference loss, a big bounce back after getting trounced by Perry earlier in the week. Then Perry after playing great on Tuesday has probably their worst game of the season and looses at Boone. Boone has been playing well as of late, the certainly couldn't miss the first half of last night while Perry was ice cold. Carlisle knocking off Ballard was also a huge surprise, especially being at Ballard. ADM is still probably the favorite at this point, but everyone still has to play each other another time so anything can happen. Something tells me they will not finish the year with just that 1 loss.

I have to agree with you stickman. The RRC has a bunch of decent teams which will make for some highly competitive conference play but as a whole is behind the rest of the 3A field. They just don't have that one or two really good teams to stand out from the pack and make real noise amongst the top teams in the rest of the state.

Big non-conference game tonight. Pella heads to ADM. I think ADM has some great athletes but will need to handle the ball really well to keep turnovers down and attack the strong Pella D. Could really boost their confidence if played a good game tonight.

Big non-conference game tonight. Pella heads to ADM. I think ADM has some great athletes but will need to handle the ball really well to keep turnovers down and attack the strong Pella D. Could really boost their confidence if played a good game tonight.

One of many good non-conference games tonight. Ballard - Pella Christian, Boone - DCG, B-F - Newton, and Carlisle - Norwalk could all be interesting games as well. Realistically, I am not envisioning any RRC wins. I would probably give Ballard the best shot as they are a better team then their record shows, but even then I am not really expecting a win. I would be surprised if any of the other games stayed within 10 points.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can't figure it out either. I don't follow the ADM rotation - playing 10,11 and some times 12 guys every night. Early in the season I have no concerns wtih this type of substitutions but thought it would be shortened heading into January.

ADM does seem to be having a rough spell lately which means the conference race is wide open again. It will really come down to who between ADM, Ballard, and Perry can win out going forward with all three having to play each other a second time. The way things are going this year I wouldn't be surprised to see one if not all of them drop another game along the way to another conference foe as well. The conference may not be great comparatively to others, as we saw again with last weeks out of conference slate, but it sure is competitive in itself and has made for an interesting season.

Big game tonight as Ballard and Perry have their rematch. The first game was close throughout with Ballard pulling away at the end we will see if Perry can reverse that tonight at home.

I'd agree. There appears to be quite a bit of parity this year.

Heck, even Carroll who is near the bottom of the conference has played a number of really close games and could knock off any of them.

ADM does seem to be having a rough spell lately which means the conference race is wide open again. It will really come down to who between ADM, Ballard, and Perry can win out going forward with all three having to play each other a second time. The way things are going this year I wouldn't be surprised to see one if not all of them drop another game along the way to another conference foe as well. The conference may not be great comparatively to others, as we saw again with last weeks out of conference slate, but it sure is competitive in itself and has made for an interesting season.

Big game tonight as Ballard and Perry have their rematch. The first game was close throughout with Ballard pulling away at the end we will see if Perry can reverse that tonight at home.

ADM @ Ballard for sole possession of 1st place in the Raccoon. I would say a must win for ADM as they appear to have a tougher road ahead of them than does Ballard but then again - its tough to say who will win on any give night in this conference.

Code:
Conference Standings

First set of numbers are the number of wins the team had against the rank of opponents in conference.
Second set of numbers are the number of losses the team had against the rank of opponents in conference.

Wins to the left of the diagonal are upset wins.
Losses to the right of the diagonal are upset losses.

Raccoon River

Rnk Team                  ( All ) ( Conf)   Mod    12345678 | 12345678
  1 Adel ADM              ( 9- 6) ( 7- 3)   86.43  \1 12111 | \11    1
  2 Huxley Ballard        ( 8- 7) ( 8- 2)   85.73  1\1212 1 | 1\    1 
  3 Bondurant-Farrar      ( 9- 7) ( 5- 5)   84.88  1 \ 11 2 |  1\1111 
  4 Perry                 ( 9- 7) ( 6- 4)   84.61    1\2 21 | 12 \ 1  
  5 Carroll               ( 5-10) ( 2- 8)   82.38    1 \ 1  | 2112\1 1
  6 Boone                 ( 6- 9) ( 5- 5)   80.72    111\2  | 121  \ 1
  7 Carlisle              ( 3-11) ( 3- 7)   79.60   11   \1 | 1  212\1
  8 Winterset             ( 5-10) ( 4- 6)   73.50  1   111\ | 1121  1\

Just noting the incredible amount of parity in this conference.

Top team is #29 in 3A
Bottom team is #53 in 3A

Top 4 teams separated by 2 points -- that is simply coin-flip territory.
Top 7 teams separated by 7 points.

I would think this is a fan's dream -- wonderfully competitive games every night. thoughts?

Just noting the incredible amount of parity in this conference.

Top team is #29 in 3A
Bottom team is #53 in 3A

Top 4 teams separated by 2 points -- that is simply coin-flip territory.
Top 7 teams separated by 7 points.

I would think this is a fan's dream -- wonderfully competitive games every night. thoughts?

It is kinda a toss up I guess. On the one hand it is nice to have such competitive games night in and night out. There is really very little separating the teams from first to last. Carroll is last in conference and just played ADM and Perry close. It really isn't much fun sitting through 30 point blowouts, even if you are on the winning end. So in that way it is a great conference as every game has the potential to be exciting.

At the same time though one has to realize they are watching average to a little above average basketball. You don't get to have any showdowns between two top teams. I have watched a lot of RRV conference games, but the best game I have seen this year didn't involve any of them. It was two top 10 teams from another conference battling it out against each other. You just don't get those premier matchups in a conference where the top teams are a little over .500.

Was at the Pella-ADM game last Saturday and it was very ugly. While Pella does have a good ball club, I was disappointed in ADM. Pella completely dominated that game and it was at ADM. I watched B-F play Pella earlier this year and they played Pella much better and lead a fair amount of the game. Just based on those games was more impressed with B-F, but that is a very small sample size!

Being in the area, I've seen each team play like garbage and like they can beat anyone. The truth is, it's a bunch of the same exact team playing each other every single night. Anyone can beat anyone. You get to see decent games but then they go play Pella and get thumped.

Was at the Pella-ADM game last Saturday and it was very ugly. While Pella does have a good ball club, I was disappointed in ADM. Pella completely dominated that game and it was at ADM. I watched B-F play Pella earlier this year and they played Pella much better and lead a fair amount of the game. Just based on those games was more impressed with B-F, but that is a very small sample size!

Not surprised in the least that Pella destroyed ADM. With Pella you have a very athletic team and as I've voiced before with this group of ADM athletes there isn't a lot of athleticism.

ADM was able to bounce back from the Pella game and get a sweep over Perry last night.

I believe the parity in the league is due to the lack of size throughout. No one in the league as a player that can control the boards or present any scoring threat in the paint. With that it comes down to guard play - turnovers/outside shooting. + haven't seen a team this year really get into you on defense for an extended period of time.

Yep, congrats to ADM. They won their Super Bowl over Perry.

Not surprised in the least that Pella destroyed ADM. With Pella you have a very athletic team and as I've voiced before with this group of ADM athletes there isn't a lot of athleticism.

ADM was able to bounce back from the Pella game and get a sweep over Perry last night.

I don't know that beating Perry has ever been anyones super bowl... Perry is typically an afterthought for everyone and will be again once Ivory and gang leave.

I don't know...the PA announcer did have to instruct the crowd not to storm the court twice last night.:) Perry should have a couple more good years in them as they have a good group of sophomores. After that it could get rough though, that is unless they are able to snag a few transfers. We have all seen the impact that can have on a team.

Last's night was a good basketball game that was really decided by free throws. Perry left too many points at the line and ADM was clutch with theirs down the stretch. I also thought ADM showed a little more hustle all night. It is small things like that which can make the difference between an L and a W.

With the win ADM stays within striking distance of Ballard for first, but will need help from someone along the way. It could come tonight as Ballard travels to B-F, should be a good game.

Ha ha.....Super Bowl is a little extreme, but with ADM losing their neighbor in DCG moving out of the conference, the rivalry between ADM and Perry has been pretty good the past few years.

I don't know that beating Perry has ever been anyones super bowl... Perry is typically an afterthought for everyone and will be again once Ivory and gang leave.

Ha ha.....Super Bowl is a little extreme, but with ADM losing their neighbor in DCG moving out of the conference, the rivalry between ADM and Perry has been pretty good the past few years.

Speaking of DCG, I'm curious. Are you folks glad that they left the RRC or do you wish they were still a part of it? Was it an amicable parting of the ways or were there hard feelings amongst the conference members? Not trying to start a war, just curious about the view of DCG now.

It was amicable. No offense to the remaining members of the RRC but due largely to the growth of the district we really had outgrown the RRC.

It was good for DCG, RRC, and LHC.

There are still some very good non conference matchups between DCG and their former conference foes.

With a few games remaining, who are and how do they select the all-conference kids? Do the head coaches select positions or whom they feel has the best in-conference performances (not out of conference). There are quite a few kids that have played some meaningful ball from top to bottom.

While I haven't been able to see all of the teams play, here is my stab at a 5 man team regardless of position and no particular order.

Shammond Ivory - Perry
Jaden Moody - Ballard
Matt Larsen - ADM
Max Evans - Carlisle
Payton Conrad - ADM

I hesitate letting Evans on the team as he's on last place Carlisle, but he's playing well on a bad team.

With a few games remaining, who are and how do they select the all-conference kids? Do the head coaches select positions or whom they feel has the best in-conference performances (not out of conference). There are quite a few kids that have played some meaningful ball from top to bottom.

Hmm..do they have 5 spots (which I asusme) but someone mentioned that there could be 8? It might be interesting as like anything subjective, you could make arguments for another group as well (Molinsky (sp?) at Carroll, Ross at ADM and Storey at B-F).

I don't think you can take position into account as there really are not any true post players worthy of being first team all-conference. Looks like last year their was 7 players on first team and 8 on second. So with 7 guys I would go;

Shammond Ivory - Perry
Jaden Moody - Ballard
Dylon Storey - B-F
Max Evans - Carlisle
Tajen Ross - ADM
Kolby Molinsky - Carroll
Payton Conrad - ADM

I agree with those selections. With Larsen (ADM), Schmitt (Carlisle), Stoltz (Ballard), Nevitt (Perry), D. Ross (Carroll) all having nice years leading the 2nd team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT