ADVERTISEMENT

Raccoon River Conference

sarcastico

Freshman
Oct 6, 2003
With the season getting underway how are people thinking the Raccoon River Conference will shake out this year?

Perry is the defending champ, and while they have lost some valuable players, still bring back a very good core of guys. Shammond Ivory is in my opinion the best player in the conference and has proven to be very difficult to slow down on the offensive end. They will need a couple guys to step up into bigger roles this season, but I would still take Perry as my favorite to repeat as the top team in conference. I think they will have tough competition for it though.

Ballard was playing some very good basketball at the end of last year and also return some very good players in Moody and Jensen. If they can build on that late season momentum and take another step forward this year I would not be at all surprised to see them competing for the conference title.

Bondurant-Farrar has Dylan Storey coming back which should make them a tough out on any night. They also bring back a couple other good scorers to help share the load. They seemed to be a little inconsistent last year though and really stumbled down the stretch. They definitely have the talent to compete though.

Carroll looses it's top two players from last year and will need to reload. They do have a couple good players coming back though, they just need others to step up and join them. I am thinking it will be a bit of a down year for them, but would not be shocked to be proven wrong on that.

Boone could be dark horse this year. Boone was playing some decent ball at the end of the year and had some really young guys spurring them on. I would not be at all shocked to see a huge improvement from them this season. I don't think they are ready to consistently beat the top teams, but they will not just be an easy win either.

I am not expecting much from ADM, Carlisle, and Winterset. I have heard ADM brought in some new players so maybe they can be better, but they have a long way to go to catch up to the top teams.

It will be interesting to see how Ivory performs without Will and defenses being able to now focus on him.

With the season getting underway how are people thinking the Raccoon River Conference will shake out this year?

Perry is the defending champ, and while they have lost some valuable players, still bring back a very good core of guys. Shammond Ivory is in my opinion the best player in the conference and has proven to be very difficult to slow down on the offensive end. They will need a couple guys to step up into bigger roles this season, but I would still take Perry as my favorite to repeat as the top team in conference. I think they will have tough competition for it though.

Ballard was playing some very good basketball at the end of last year and also return some very good players in Moody and Jensen. If they can build on that late season momentum and take another step forward this year I would not be at all surprised to see them competing for the conference title.

Bondurant-Farrar has Dylan Storey coming back which should make them a tough out on any night. They also bring back a couple other good scorers to help share the load. They seemed to be a little inconsistent last year though and really stumbled down the stretch. They definitely have the talent to compete though.

Carroll looses it's top two players from last year and will need to reload. They do have a couple good players coming back though, they just need others to step up and join them. I am thinking it will be a bit of a down year for them, but would not be shocked to be proven wrong on that.

Boone could be dark horse this year. Boone was playing some decent ball at the end of the year and had some really young guys spurring them on. I would not be at all shocked to see a huge improvement from them this season. I don't think they are ready to consistently beat the top teams, but they will not just be an easy win either.

I am not expecting much from ADM, Carlisle, and Winterset. I have heard ADM brought in some new players so maybe they can be better, but they have a long way to go to catch up to the top teams.

This is the 3rd or 4th time I've heard about ADM having some transfers for hoops. Anyone know any details ( where and since Quickstats is down whom)?

I think Perry is the favorite. Ballard will probably be 2nd and always hard to count Carroll out.
Don't sleep on Carlisle though--I think they will battle for 4th place. Not impressed with B-F/ADM/Boone/Wint...but who knows? I think the RRC will be down again this year--we'll know for sure after all the non-conf games against the LHC. Begins tonight with ADM vs. Pella Christian and Boone vs. Newton. I predict PC by 15 or more and Newton in a close one...

Perry was good because of last year's Senior class and they are sure to drop off a little. They still have Ivory and he's near the top of the conference.

Here's my predicted finish
1 - Carroll
2 - Perry
3 - Ballard
4 - Bondurant-Farrar
5 - Carlisle
6 - Boone
7 - Winterset
8 - ADM

Odd enough, that's about where the schools finished last year.

I am interested on ADM getting a transfer or two. I recall one of their most successful seasons included a transfer from Johnston.

This is the 3rd or 4th time I've heard about ADM having some transfers for hoops. Anyone know any details ( where and since Quickstats is down whom)?

Apparently they have two Juniors coming from Waukee, Tajen Ross and Jared Sapp. I have no idea how good they are. I guess we will find out tonight how big of an impact they will make. Larson is a quality player but needs help, maybe the new guys will be just that and ADM will make more noise this year then people expect. I guess we will just wait and see.

ADM makes free throws they more than likely win that game, ADM has three starters (Conrad, Ross, Knoll) that are new to the school so will take this team some time but they have some talent. Lack real size in the paint but the Hardy kid may provide something for them there.

Tajen Ross - Jr. Transfer from Waukee (starts)
Jared Sapp - Jr. Transfer from Waukee (sub)
Cole Knoll - So. Move in from Stuart(?)
Payton Conrad - Move in from Lakeville, MN

That is a lot of new guys for a team to bring in, pretty much makes for a whole new team. It must have made them better as they played with a good Pella Christian team. Could very well make ADM a player in the conference this year, especially seeing how poorly much of the conference looked last night. 2-6 is a rough opening night.

I thought Perry looked pretty good last night, especially on offense. They put up 67 points with Shammond Ivory not even playing due to illness. His little brother looked really good though starting at the point. They should be scoring a lot this year. They do need to shore up some things on defense, gave up too many open looks.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
I think the two early surprises are ADM and Carroll. Looks like ADM is going to be much better than many expected with their new players. Carroll is off to a rough start and might be worse than expected. Everything else seems to be going about how I figured it would. B-F looks to have a solid squad this year and should be competing in every game. Ballard and Perry also look like contenders for the top spot, with Ballard getting the early advantage after a close win at home.

Perry had two tough losses last week. Both were on the road and both had the same officiating crew, which I think played a factor. Not that the officials were out to get Perry or were even making bad calls, just that they let the games be physical which is not how Perry likes to play. This Perry team will need to toughen up both physically and mentally if they want to duplicate what they did last year. I am interested to see how they bounce back this week.

Has anyone seen B-F play? Is their early success helped by schedule or will the contend for a title. Agree with your assessment that Ballard appears to be the early team to beat, then Perry. B-F and ADM still have things to prove in my opinion.

I haven't seen B-F play but just looking at their schedule I would say it has been on the easier end. I would agree that they still have something to prove. I too would probably put both B-F and ADM behind Perry and Ballard at this point.

Another rough night for the conference against Little Hawkeye competition going 0-3. I think that gives the Little Hawkeye an 11-1 advantage on the year. Right now I don't see anyone going to state out of the Raccoon River.

ADM @ DCG this Saturday. Great rivalry and another LH/RR matchup.

Looking forward to seeing ADMs "new" team. I wonder if our students will have any interesting "new" cheers.

Last edited:
So at the Christmas break here is how things stand;

ADM ----- 5-2, 3-0 Already matched their conference win total from last year. Looks to be a legit good team this year. Amazing what a handful of transfers can do.
B-F ------- 5-2, 2-1 Probably playing about as expected, good not great. Still not sure if they are a true contender or not.
Perry----- 4-3, 2-1 Close losses as they are figuring stuff out with some of the new guys and others adjusting to new roles. Still my pick to win the conference.
Boone ---- 3-4, 2-1 A little inconsistent which is expected with a younger team. I can see them pulling off another upset or two this year.
Ballard --- 2-5, 2-1 Tough start for what I expected to be a good team. I'm not sure what is going on with them as they looked good the game I saw.
Carlisle --- 1-4, 1-2 Have a couple nice players but not enough to really compete. Some good young guys coming up though from the looks of it.
Carroll --- 3-5, 0-3 Definitely not as bad a team as their record shows. I expect they will rattle off some wins after the break. Still will be a down year for them though.
Winterset 0-6, 0-3 Yeah, just not a very good team.

We'll find some things out right out of the break when ADM travels to Perry Jan 5th. Very simillar teams on paper.

Conference is in need of some signature wins outside the Raccoon (not that it matters but would be nice) - Appears ADM and Carroll are the teams with some teams scheduled, Harlan/Pella for ADM and Harlan/Atlantic for Carroll. Challenges for sure.

Perry has owned ADM over the past year or two. I fully expect that to continue this season.

We'll find some things out right out of the break when ADM travels to Perry Jan 5th. Very simillar teams on paper.

Conference is in need of some signature wins outside the Raccoon (not that it matters but would be nice) - Appears ADM and Carroll are the teams with some teams scheduled, Harlan/Pella for ADM and Harlan/Atlantic for Carroll. Challenges for sure.

Carroll is better than they have played and are likely not as good as I expected.

ADM - I didn't realize they pulled in a few transfers. Without them and ADM would pretty bad.

Have you seen either team play? Your conf standing predictions have left me with very little confidence your statements.

On paper Perry and ADM look a lot alike. Shooting % slight edge to ADM, FT % edge to ADM, PPG slight edge ADM.

Best Player on the court - Perry

Common opponents:
DCG: both lost by 5 @ DCG
Carroll: Perry won by 6, ADM won by 19 both had Carroll at home
Ballard: Perry lost by 3 on the road and ADM won by 7 at home

So at the Christmas break here is how things stand;

ADM ----- 5-2, 3-0 Already matched their conference win total from last year. Looks to be a legit good team this year. Amazing what a handful of transfers can do.
B-F ------- 5-2, 2-1 Probably playing about as expected, good not great. Still not sure if they are a true contender or not.
Perry----- 4-3, 2-1 Close losses as they are figuring stuff out with some of the new guys and others adjusting to new roles. Still my pick to win the conference.
Boone ---- 3-4, 2-1 A little inconsistent which is expected with a younger team. I can see them pulling off another upset or two this year.
Ballard --- 2-5, 2-1 Tough start for what I expected to be a good team. I'm not sure what is going on with them as they looked good the game I saw.
Carlisle --- 1-4, 1-2 Have a couple nice players but not enough to really compete. Some good young guys coming up though from the looks of it.
Carroll --- 3-5, 0-3 Definitely not as bad a team as their record shows. I expect they will rattle off some wins after the break. Still will be a down year for them though.
Winterset 0-6, 0-3 Yeah, just not a very good team.
LAST TO FIRST...WOW...didn't see that coming...

Boone, Carlisle, Carroll and Winterest seem to be going nowhere this year. ADM, B-F, Ballard and Perry have excelled or held serve.

Any of these teams going to make noise AFTER the conference season ends?

I think there are a couple teams with enough talent to make some postseason noise, although I don't know if any would be considered the favorite to win their substates at this point. Really just depends on how the assignments pan out. I would not at all be shocked to see a Raccoon River team down at state. I wouldn't say any of these teams would be listed among the favorites in 3A though. Of course there is a lot of basketball left to play so we will see how teams improve over the course of the year.

Last edited:
They will probably have a team make it to state.... There is only like 68 3a schools, so odds are pretty good.

ADM wins by 12 in one of the ugliest and just weirdest games of basketball I have ever seen. It honestly played more like a scrimmage than a regular season game. Both teams showed some rust after the break, but ADM was able to shake it off well before Perry. ADM has some good shooters and showed a lot of patience against Perry's zone to get off some good shots. Perry really struggled shooting and had a hard time getting to the rim against the ADM defense.

The officiating was really strange all game as well. I am one that typically likes to gives refs the benefit of the doubt and have never thought a game is won or loss by officiating, but this game may be the rare exception to that. I have never seen a crew so clearly have it out for one player as this one did for Shammond Ivory. The kid never had a chance to be involved in this game as he picked up 4 first half fouls and a quick 5th in the second half. The one extremely young official, who gave him a very bizarre technical, actually has a history against Shammond as a player for Dallas Center-Grimes. It was obvious to anyone watching that they wanted to send him a message this game. Granted Shammond can have a bit of a cocky demeanor, but refs need to be above that and any personal grudges they may have. They even gave him a second T after he fouled out for untucking and lifting up his jersey when he was like a foot away from the bench as he was walking to sit down. Just some of the most biased and strange officiating I have ever seen

With Shammond unable to play for much of the game and Perry missing two other key players to injury they really didn't have much of a chance. Perry does not have a deep enough bench to handle those losses, not to mention the two other kids who fouled out and had to deal with foul trouble most of the game. ADM was the better team tonight and deserved to win, no question about that. But in my opinion I would say Perry is the better team. Under more normal circumstances I would honestly expect them to win by double digits. Of course there is still another game to be played to determine that for sure.

I went to the game to see Shammond play. I have seen him on the AAU circuit a few times. I could not believe how poor his composure was though. They were definitely were at a little disadvantage due to little Ivory being injured.

The first technical was because he said something to the ADM kid. After that, he seemed to get a little chippy. It will be interesting to see their rematch at ADM's place.

Perry's team as a whole needs to learn how to keep their composure when calls don't go their way. They let the refs have way to large of an effect on the way they play. The first tech seemed strange to me as Shammond and the ADM kid were both talking on their way down the court and it didn't even seem heated or anything then all of a sudden there was the T. I guess I can't say for sure what was said, it just seemed like an odd technical to call especially that early in a game when there hadn't really been any chippiness yet. Like I said it just seemed like the refs were determined to send Shammond a message that they didn't like his attitude. The lack of composure that came after is definitely on the kids though.

How long has the coach at Perry been there? Thought he could have settled things down with Ivory. Putting him in the game with 13.6 left in the half was a huge mistake as he picked up his 4th foul. seemed as though he encouraged Ivory's frustration. ADM turned over and missed free throws to keep Perry in the game. ALl teams end up on that side of calls throughout the season, Perry lacked composure and it appeared to start at the top.

Wasn't at last nights game but I have seen Ivory playing out of control in the past which often lands him into foul trouble.

I would hope the coaches error in the first half was losing track of how many fouls he had because if he knew he had 3 he should have protected him. Especially the way the game was going.

Anyone know if the 2 Ts will impact his playing status for the next game?

Wow.....so much for me guaranteeing Perry to win. It sounds like ADM (aka - Waukee Intramural Transfer Squad) was able to pull it together.

I didn't get to see the game, but I am looking forward to their rematch in Adel!!

Reactions: basketball777
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT