ADVERTISEMENT

North Central Conference 2012

soyo4321

Freshman
Dec 9, 2009
Basketball's over. It's track time, boys! After a highly successful NCC basketball thread, lets try to do the same with a NCC track thread. Not to sure on who is strong in the conference this year, except, of course, FDSE. They will hopefully defend their 2A state title from last year, with seniors Neil "400" Flattery, Nate "I like to run" Kolacia, and Ryan "Watch yo self" Yung. NCC wise, not sure how Algona or Webster City is, but should be good as usual. Lets get it going!

Is Yung a state participant type track athlete? I follow SE, but am not aware of him being a key contributor in the past.

Originally posted by bdrube:
Is Yung a state participant type track athlete? I follow SE, but am not aware of him being a key contributor in the past.
To tell you the truth, not at all. But, I still have faith in the kid!

Originally posted by RoosterWarrior:
I heard that Clarion ran a very solid time in the medley at ISU indoor.
Maybe Clarion will have one good relay team this year then!

I believe I saw a 3:36 out of them, which is darn good at this time of year. Especially for a smaller class team.

Also, if Neil runs the mile this year SE has a very good shot at going 1-2 in the 1600 at state. I don't know what seth reel's speed is like, but he has definitely done well in the 3200/xc. Between those 3 they should be able to score 40+ points in individual events alone.

Neil won't run the 1600 at state. There is no need for Neil Flattery or Nate Kolacia getting a 2nd place at the state meet in the 1600. Instead of getting 18 points in the 1600 alone, they could easily score 20 points putting Neil in a different open event.

Neil could potentially win the 400-800-1600. Are they going to have the 3-4 guys to justify putting Neil in 2 relays? To say this early that he "won't" is silly. I know SE lost some firepower, so if it makes more sense to put Neil in the mile to get 8-10 more points, instead of getting a 4th-5th in a relay, that should be an option. Clearly there is plenty of time for Neil, Nate, and Seth to drop some times and see who should be doing what and see what the 3-4 guys on the 4x4,4x8, and medley are able to do. Maybe Seth develops into a 4:28-4:30 miler and is a top 3-4 type candidate. Just throwing out some talking points.

Neil will be in the open 200 before he is in the 1600. However, I look for Neil to be in the 400, 800, 4x8, and probably the 4x4. FDSE has strong roots in the 4x4, so I expect them to put together a team. FDSE was on its way to its 6th 4x4 state victory, until it was broken last year... As far as the 4x8 goes, Neil, Nate, Seth, and David Flattery would be a tough team to beat. You heard it here first from soyo!

You know more than I would about some of the current guys. I just know that if Neil runs in college his best event would be the mile. I think he has the tools to be a 4 minute type runner. That's just my professional opinion.

FDSE places second at CYO meet. Bishop Heelan wins it all. Neil Flattery placed 1st in the 200, 800 and 4 by 4. He was also in the 4 by 2, however, that got DQed due to a dropped hand off between Neil and David Flattery. Kolacia was 1st in the 3200 and 2nd in the 1600. Hank Lentsch was first in high jump, and the shuttle hurdle received 1st. Next meet is at Eagle Grove, Tuesday. There will be more NCC teams there, so we should get a good feel on how the NCC will be this year. Good first meet for FDSE.

bdrube, I hate to doubt your "professional opinion" but I have heard through the grape vine that Neil will most likely focus on 800's in college. I also agree with soyo in the fact that I don't see him running the 1600 at state. I think by the time its all said and done Reel will be a medal winner in the mile and I don't think one can justify making him sit and give up those 4-6 points just so you can gain four more from a runner that could potentially get 8-10 more points in another event. Flattery could be the 1600 champ this year but if SE is going for another team title, which I imagine they are, they will not run him in the 1600 at state.

Does anyone know who has the fastest record time for the 4x4 for schools in the NCC? I know FDSE has to be one of the top times, but not exactly sure on what their record time is either. Any other schools have good record times?

SE ran a 3:18 & change in the semi's or at Drake, I know it was not in a "finals" race, a couple years ago. I would bet Cody's life on it that no NCC team has ran faster than that. I would bet your life on it, but I don't know your name.

I'm sure he will focus on 800s. He'll run some great 800s once he focuses on track for more than 8 weeks at a time. Being a 4 sport athlete that excels at every sport, he obviously doesn't focus on track outside of track season and he has run some great 800s off of minimal training (I'm assuming he's not out there doing 40 miles a week during basketball, baseball, etc...) But, he would be a better miler at the next level in my opinion. Obviously a guy that can run a very good mile can run a good 800 and vice versa, but if you're slightly better than one it can be the difference of not making the national meet and being an All-American, or national champion. Either way, I hope he does decide to do track at the collegiate level and has a ton of success whether it is the 400, 800, or mile.

If SE does have some solid role player type runners, I agree there is no need to run him in the 1600 when Seth should be able to snag some points. I just didn't know what they had besides those three guys for other relay members. Is there a 4th 800 guy? If they have like a 2:01 split id Imagine they can take a few seconds off their 4x8 record. And with as nice as this weather has been all winter/early spring I'd imagine we see faster times than we normally do.

Seth has ran a 2:08 indoor split, David Flattery ran a 2:09 split at CYO, with Nate and Neil I would think they have a shot at the title.

Is St Ed's going to get a stacked relay (4x8, 4x4 or medley) in time for Drake Relays qualifying?

If Reel and David Flattery are running 2:06 right now, there is a decent chance that by the State meet, St. Edmond might be looking at breaking the State meet record of 7:53.67 set in 2000 by Tipton.

That would be sweet. I think the biggest factor may be what other events those 4 are in. They may be wiped by the end of the state meet and records may not fall based on the amount of "leaning" they have to do on those four. I am referring more to school records. Soyo, I really have to find out who you are, you have a lot of inside info!!!

I dont think Nate should be able to run at state this year because last year he cut I think 4 people off. He is known cheater and should not be allowed to run at the state meet.

Can't have as much inside info as you sexc, with you working at the school and all! You are King Gossiper!

Are the St Ed's score track records posted anywhere?

Historically, as a team they won two State Track meet titles and been runner up at least one other time. It looks like they have a handful of individual titles and several relays with most happening around 1994 and then throughout the last 10 years. No doubt there are a few great records (especially the 4x4).

They are posted near the main entrance of the school. Ha, I don't think so online.

I don't believe they are on-line anywhere. However, the school website does have an athletic page with links to sports by season. Still, nothing there. I will look into it on Monday. All the sports should have their records and other info on there.

Saint Edmond Track Records

Long Jump: 23'4" Maury Heggen 1963
High Jump: 6'7" Josh Bradley 2006
Shot Put: 48'4.5" Andy Nagel 2008
Discus: 144'1" Leo Stucky 2006
4x8: 7:55.76 Arnold, Kolacia, Kesten, N. Flattery 2011
1600m: 4:24.0 Bill Stein 1987
4x1: 43.99 D. Stucky, Moench, Nelson, Bruening 1997
4x2: 1:29.57 Becker, Steinkamp, Fosbender, Kesten 2010
3200m: 9:35.0 Joe Hoft 1980
110m HH: 15.3 Pat Watkins 1982
400m hurdles: 54.69 Luke Becker 2010
800m: 1:55.33 Neil Flattery 2011
200m: 21.97 Brian Sandvig 2009
400m: 48.30 Brian Sandvig 2009
100m: 10.59 Mitch Knippel 2006
Shuttle: 1:00.1 Steinkamp, Yetmar, Fosbender, Derrig 2009
Medley: 3:32.81 P. Flattery, McCarville, Sandvig, Jo. Madsen 2008
4x4: 3:18.99 Becker, Fosbender, N. Flattery, Kesten 2010

el hombre, where did you get these? Some of them do not match up with the records at FDSE. But, I will say one thing, that 4x4 is fast! Along with Heggen's jump! Those two records may be set in stone.

RoosterWarrior who did Nate cut off in last year in the 1600 when he won it by a solid 40m?

Jako, no need to feed the trolls. This has already been hashed out on this board, no need to bring it up again.

Coming from "anybody," Kolacia definitely has got a bad wrap for this whole cutting off business. I've never seen it and he seems to be a pretty nice guy from what I've heard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT