ADVERTISEMENT

Mount Pleasant #1 in 3A ???

I don't know if Jeremiah Khat (the SCC transfer) was the difference between SBL going to state and them winning five games, but he was most definitely the difference in the game the other night. Heelan took a few steps back compared to their first two post season games but, ultimately, that's not surprising. They've been doing that since the first of the year.

Khat played well, but the real difference maker in the game was Hazekamp (the Hinton transfer) whose 24 points and 16 boards kept Heelan from getting beat by 30.

Boever (the other Hinton transfer) and Roder (the Lawton transfer) had solid games as well with 13 points and 10 points respectively for Heelan.

Khat played well, but the real difference maker in the game was Hazekamp (the Hinton transfer) whose 24 points and 16 boards kept Heelan from getting beat by 30.

Boever (the other Hinton transfer) and Roder (the Lawton transfer) had solid games as well with 13 points and 10 points respectively for Heelan.
You realize Hazekamp enrolled at Heelan as a Freshman? Does that mean everyone in that class is a transfer since they all started at Heelan as freshman too? And you realize Boever was in the Heelan system before he went to Hinton and always had the intent of going back to Heelan right? And he transferred back in the 8th grade so I guess he was a transfer when he was in middle school. Lol

Last edited:
You realize Hazekamp enrolled at Heelan as a Freshman? Does that mean everyone in that class is a transfer since they all started at Heelan as freshman too? And you realize Boever was in the Heelan system before he went to Hinton and always had the intent of going back to Heelan right? And he transferred back in the 8th grade so I guess he was a transfer when he was in middle school. Lol

I don't know the details at all, but I 100% consider someone who goes from one school district to another right before high school a transfer. You're transferring school districts, right?

I don't know the details at all, but I 100% consider someone who goes from one school district to another right before high school a transfer. You're transferring school districts, right?
This conversations has already been had on this thread plenty times, but I guess if you want to think so, you can think they’re transfers even if they’ve been in the program since freshman year or before.

You really don't do facts, do you....?

If a kid leaves after he/she has entered high school (ie, they are there for at least part of their freshman year before leaving), they would be considered a transfer. Khat, of course, didn't go to SBL until his senior year. If they change systems at a point earlier than that, that's not really a transfer. Unless you draw the line somewhere, you could conceivably consider a kid who changes between kindergarten & first grade a transfer. The truth is that Hazekamp (I know his folks pretty well) went from Hinton to Heelan before he entered the ninth grade, and the family planned it well before that. Not a "transfer". Boever, as was mentioned in an earlier post, had been in the Heelan system throughout most of his school years. And Roder's family has a significant Heelan history as well.

Ok, my bad. They give out financial assistance. You can also get grants and all that other stuff. The church does a good job of making it easier to afford to go to these schools. My underlying point was that not everyone is forking up a bunch of money to go there, so it's not like the athletic side of things are just some secondary reason for going to one of those schools. Often a key reason.

You toss in some throw away lines that indicate that you don't really know what you are talking about. 'Grants and all that other stuff' if you don't know than it's okay to admit it. If someone would qualify for 'grants and all that other stuff' it would be my children. Legacy family moving into a city before the oldest enters 7th grade, one was a multiple 1st team all state player, state qualifiers, 2 other all state players, state champions prior to starting school there and there was no 'grants and other stuff' for them. Do you know who did contact me when we moved to town? 3 public schools, including 2 whose district we didn't live in. They were open on how the open enrollment process went and how we could make it work that fall since we missed the deadline. Persuasive recruiters, guess who contacted me each of the years my kids were in school, a public school. The church? Didn't help until we became more active members. So you can dismiss everything as unfair, transfers, recruiting etc. but please don't project that you know what you are talking about.

Reactions: Pinehawk
I've only attended, worked at, and coached at public high schools and I will say that to consider anyone who enrolls in a school as a freshmen a "transfer" is honestly one of the most asinine things I've ever heard in a public/private debate...

Well said.

DeMosses singular (read "only") talent seems to be to mockingly & sarcastically "like" Heelan posters. Newsflash here, Egbert: a blind dog could see you coming from a mile away.

Enjoy your little "run"....you don't believe it, but it will have a short half-life.

This conversations has already been had on this thread plenty times, but I guess if you want to think so, you can think they’re transfers even if they’ve been in the program since freshman year or before.

If they were in the program before freshman year, then they didn't enroll as a Freshman. I said I consider someone who transfers school districts before freshman year a "transfer."

If a kid leaves after he/she has entered high school (ie, they are there for at least part of their freshman year before leaving), they would be considered a transfer. Khat, of course, didn't go to SBL until his senior year. If they change systems at a point earlier than that, that's not really a transfer. Unless you draw the line somewhere, you could conceivably consider a kid who changes between kindergarten & first grade a transfer. The truth is that Hazekamp (I know his folks pretty well) went from Hinton to Heelan before he entered the ninth grade, and the family planned it well before that. Not a "transfer". Boever, as was mentioned in an earlier post, had been in the Heelan system throughout most of his school years. And Roder's family has a significant Heelan history as well.

"Right before high school" is what I said. That implies transferring school districts from your eighth grade year to your ninth grade year. So I specifically drew a line somewhere and you can not consider a kid who changes between kindergarten and first grade a transfer. We're talking about kids who are transferring for basketball purposes, I think everyone knows we're not talking about kindergartners.

I've only attended, worked at, and coached at public high schools and I will say that to consider anyone who enrolls in a school as a freshmen a "transfer" is honestly one of the most asinine things I've ever heard in a public/private debate...

How? How is transferring school districts from 8th to 9th grade that much different than transferring school districts from 9th to 10th? You know you're a good basketball player by 8th grade, right
So just using one city as an example...If you spend your whole life in the West Liberty school district and you're a star basketball player in middle school. West Liberty isn't a great basketball school, so you enroll in Iowa City Regina before 9th grade because you want to be at a better athletic school. You don't count that kid as someone who "transferred" to a better school?*

*Note for all you message board folk that love to freak out over every word, I don't know anyone who did that. Just using it as an example.

You toss in some throw away lines that indicate that you don't really know what you are talking about. 'Grants and all that other stuff' if you don't know than it's okay to admit it. If someone would qualify for 'grants and all that other stuff' it would be my children. Legacy family moving into a city before the oldest enters 7th grade, one was a multiple 1st team all state player, state qualifiers, 2 other all state players, state champions prior to starting school there and there was no 'grants and other stuff' for them. Do you know who did contact me when we moved to town? 3 public schools, including 2 whose district we didn't live in. They were open on how the open enrollment process went and how we could make it work that fall since we missed the deadline. Persuasive recruiters, guess who contacted me each of the years my kids were in school, a public school. The church? Didn't help until we became more active members. So you can dismiss everything as unfair, transfers, recruiting etc. but please don't project that you know what you are talking about.

1. That's anecdotal evidence. Just because your experience is like that doesn't mean that's normal.
2. How are we supposed to know any of that is true? You're obviously extremely bias and emotional over the situation, you could just be fabricating that three public schools contacted you, unless you have proof, in which case, why didn't you turn them in for recruiting?
3. I wouldn't expect the church to help you if you weren't active members. But it sounds like you didn't pay the entire price for your kids to go to the school, right? So again, not every kid's family is forking up all the tuition money.

"Right before high school" is what I said. That implies transferring school districts from your eighth grade year to your ninth grade year. So I specifically drew a line somewhere and you can not consider a kid who changes between kindergarten and first grade a transfer. We're talking about kids who are transferring for basketball purposes, I think everyone knows we're not talking about kindergartners.

Right before high school isn't considered a transfer. During high school certainly is. In reading four years worth of sports articles on Hazekamp's games, and listening to radio broadcasts, I've never once heard of him referred to as "Hazekamp, the transfer from Hinton". In more in-depth articles telling his story (such as Siouxland Athlete of the Week), they may have mentioned that he originally came from Hinton, but that's it. On the other hand, kids that switched while they were in high school are routinely referred to as "so and so, the transfer from wherever".

Right before high school isn't considered a transfer. During high school certainly is. In reading four years worth of sports articles on Hazekamp's games, and listening to radio broadcasts, I've never once heard of him referred to as "Hazekamp, the transfer from Hinton". In more in-depth articles telling his story (such as Siouxland Athlete of the Week), they may have mentioned that he originally came from Hinton, but that's it. On the other hand, kids that switched while they were in high school are routinely referred to as "so and so, the transfer from wherever".

I know they aren't commonly known as transfers (not that radio stations call players "the transfer from..." very often anyway). I was just saying, for all intents and purposes, it's the same deal. It's a kid open enrolling into a different school district to play for their athletic team. (Again, I don't know any specifics on this one kid, I'm just saying in general).

I know they aren't commonly known as transfers (not that radio stations call players "the transfer from..." very often anyway). I was just saying, for all intents and purposes, it's the same deal. It's a kid open enrolling into a different school district to play for their athletic team. (Again, I don't know any specifics on this one kid, I'm just saying in general).

So we are to accept your definition of transfer why? As far as your West Liberty analogy the kid played for West Liberty against Regina one week then two weeks later played for West Branch against Regina without his parents moving, I am sure you were outraged at that as well. Wait, probably not it's just evening the field against the evil private schools.

So we are to accept your definition of transfer why? As far as your West Liberty analogy the kid played for West Liberty against Regina one week then two weeks later played for West Branch against Regina without his parents moving, I am sure you were outraged at that as well. Wait, probably not it's just evening the field against the evil private schools.

Hey, you can't change my made up person's back story!

You can not do that. Even with the weak transfer rules right now, you aren't allowed to open enroll at another school and then play right away. There is a sit out period.

Hey, you can't change my made up person's back story!

You can not do that. Even with the weak transfer rules right now, you aren't allowed to open enroll at another school and then play right away. There is a sit out period.

You would be wrong on this one. Played varsity for West Liberty on January 17, 2015 against Bellevue, January 13 against Regina. Then played for West Brach February 16, 2015 against Durant(he had played some JV games for West Branch as well) then February 19, 2015 without his parents moving at that time. As they say 'you can look it up' Makes this debating thing easier when you have actual situations and facts to put out there. Your tenacity and belief in your opinion are appreciated, I will stick to real things and facts thank you. Keep going with your crusade.

You would be wrong on this one. Played varsity for West Liberty on January 17, 2015 against Bellevue, January 13 against Regina. Then played for West Brach February 16, 2015 against Durant(he had played some JV games for West Branch as well) then February 19, 2015 without his parents moving at that time. As they say 'you can look it up' Makes this debating thing easier when you have actual situations and facts to put out there. Your tenacity and belief in your opinion are appreciated, I will stick to real things and facts thank you. Keep going with your crusade.

You're literally trying to transform my fake player into something real. I said in the example that I was just using the schools as an example. This isn't a real person. So you kind of played yourself there.

You seem to be obsessive towards knowing personal details of underaged kids to know this case that you brought up off the top of your head. I researched the dates and see there was a kid who did play two games for west branch (scoring seven total points) at the end of a season when he had played games for West Liberty earlier (and then must have had to sit out a few games because he's not on the box scores of either team for a while).

My guess is there was a personal situation or something that made to where he could no longer attend his old school. Either way, super creepy that you would know that and bring it up, and it couldn't be anymore irrelevant to the subject at hand, which was kids transferring from 8th to 9th grade for athletic purposes.

You're literally trying to transform my fake player into something real. I said in the example that I was just using the schools as an example. This isn't a real person. So you kind of played yourself there.

You seem to be obsessive towards knowing personal details of underaged kids to know this case that you brought up off the top of your head. I researched the dates and see there was a kid who did play two games for west branch (scoring seven total points) at the end of a season when he had played games for West Liberty earlier (and then must have had to sit out a few games because he's not on the box scores of either team for a while).

My guess is there was a personal situation or something that made to where he could no longer attend his old school. Either way, super creepy that you would know that and bring it up, and it couldn't be anymore irrelevant to the subject at hand, which was kids transferring from 8th to 9th grade for athletic purposes.

Of course you have just kept to your definition of 'transfer' you may want to see if that is what this has been limited. This was pretty easy to know about. It originated from a fan base that has pretty similar viewpoints to your opinion and then has had a string of talented players who 'moved' into their district and 'transferred' according to your definition. It was pretty entertaining to point out their hypocrisy. Public schools participate pretty frequently in the 'transfer' game. It is just denied by some.

Of course you have just kept to your definition of 'transfer' you may want to see if that is what this has been limited. This was pretty easy to know about. It originated from a fan base that has pretty similar viewpoints to your opinion and then has had a string of talented players who 'moved' into their district and 'transferred' according to your definition. It was pretty entertaining to point out their hypocrisy. Public schools participate pretty frequently in the 'transfer' game. It is just denied by some.

I don't know if it is just being tired at this point, but I literally can't figure out what you are saying anymore. So West Liberty has a bunch of transfers in? Maybe I touched a nerve with the team I brought up, but I was just choosing a public school near a big city private school at random for my example.

I don't know if it is just being tired at this point, but I literally can't figure out what you are saying anymore. So West Liberty has a bunch of transfers in? Maybe I touched a nerve with the team I brought up, but I was just choosing a public school near a big city private school at random for my example.

Not a nerve, you must be tired the transfer was from West Liberty to West Branch. The big city private school didn't get the transfer. It was public to public in season transfer with no sitting out or parents moving. Something private schools can't pull off

Let's be honest in the whole public vs private school debate. Transfers and recruits isn't where private schools have a big advantage if any. It's in the makeup of their student body. The high majority of private school kids are from well off families that are invested in their kids. They don't have a lot of kids walking around their school not participating in school activities compared to public schools. It's a huge advantage for all private schools., especially those in the smaller classes. 3 of the 4 semi-finalist are private schools in 1A again this year.

Let's be honest in the whole public vs private school debate. Transfers and recruits isn't where private schools have a big advantage if any. It's in the makeup of their student body. The high majority of private school kids are from well off families that are invested in their kids. They don't have a lot of kids walking around their school not participating in school activities compared to public schools. It's a huge advantage for all private schools., especially those in the smaller classes. 3 of the 4 semi-finalist are private schools in 1A again this year.

Agreed 100%. That has always been where the big advantage lies. Their numbers aren't run up with students who can't play sports, like the public school nu mbers are.

How? How is transferring school districts from 8th to 9th grade that much different than transferring school districts from 9th to 10th? You know you're a good basketball player by 8th grade, right
So just using one city as an example...If you spend your whole life in the West Liberty school district and you're a star basketball player in middle school. West Liberty isn't a great basketball school, so you enroll in Iowa City Regina before 9th grade because you want to be at a better athletic school. You don't count that kid as someone who "transferred" to a better school?*

*Note for all you message board folk that love to freak out over every word, I don't know anyone who did that. Just using it as an example.
Most private school families that do this are just trying to save money. It is expensive to have a kid and very expensive to have multiple kids educated at private schools.

Reactions: Fatwall
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT