ADVERTISEMENT

Mount Pleasant #1 in 3A ???

I am one of those private school "shills", but no reasonable person can deny that 3A/4A schools from large metro areas have a significant, inherent competitive advantage over similar sized schools from smaller towns/cities. I've said that for over 10 years, as Heelan started playing 3A football. Every 3A person with an opinion and a computer was saying that Heelan "was in for a big surprise", and should prepare for a "comeuppance". Of course, it turned out to be a the other way around. I'm one of the silent majority of Heelan alums & parents who opposed the move to 3A.

That sounds awfully reasonable... careful now Cru.

It happens everywhere. As many times as SC East has gone to state in basketball in the last 10 years, I think this would be the first team to do it without a transfer in the starting line-up in that time span if they manage to win their next 2 games.

The movie that coined the iconic phrase "If you build it, they will come" is from our state, why do we live in denial that this is extremely applicable to high school athletics? Coaching/academics/culture/friends/etc/etc all act as building blocks that bring in those athletes time and again. Whether it's educated parents of 1st graders or the whims of a persuasive 8th grader or the demands of a high schooler, if the foundation is there, people will gravitate towards it.

Reactions: Kraftwerk
LOL Never ever heard of a private school keeping their bed count down, (maybe it has happened on 8man vs 11man) - they need the funds to operate! Out of all of the arguments - bordering on ridiculous if you have ever been part of a private school. Oh well, with all that being said - going back to the thread, I'm picking Mt. P to win it all this year.

I have never heard of it happening, it however has been alleged to occur.

I am one of those private school "shills", but no reasonable person can deny that 3A/4A schools from large metro areas have a significant, inherent competitive advantage over similar sized schools from smaller towns/cities. I've said that for over 10 years, as Heelan started playing 3A football. Every 3A person with an opinion and a computer was saying that Heelan "was in for a big surprise", and should prepare for a "comeuppance". Of course, it turned out to be a the other way around. I'm one of the silent majority of Heelan alums & parents who opposed the move to 3A.

People thought that would happen going from 4A to 3A?

Mt P won it in 12 with all locals and then they've had transfers every year till this year it will be interesting to see if they can pull it off. I'll be surprise if they do just because 2 guys take a big majority of the teams shots and I can't believe that some team doesn't have a couple shut down defenders.JMO
Good luck to all Tournament teams it should be fun

Mt P won it in 12 with all locals and then they've had transfers every year till this year it will be interesting to see if they can pull it off. I'll be surprise if they do just because 2 guys take a big majority of the teams shots and I can't believe that some team doesn't have a couple shut down defenders.JMO
They had Faith Pope for one year in 2013 when his family moved to Mount Pleasant while his dad was being treated at the University of Iowa… Mount Pleasant had a foreign exchange student for one year… So don’t make it sound like they had transfers every year state the facts correctly

As far as two guys taking the majority of the shots!? That’s exactly how Xavier has won their last two titles and is built this year

People thought they were in for a surprise moving down to 3A? Maybe surprised at how much they can dominate the small town teams.

I honestly have 0 bias in this. I didn't even go to school in Iowa (have lived here for most of my adulthood), so I have no major loyalties to any schools. But as someone who lives on the eastern side of the state, the private schools here absolutely have more new players than the publics. As far as Mount Pleasant, I think the Australian kid (who I believe played just one year) is the only transfer in they have gotten in recent years (major ones anyway). I think this year Xavier only has one star who is from one of the area's 4A schools, but the past two championships were absolutely because of them. Again, I don't like to name names because they are minors, but anyone over on this side of the state knows (the school didn't deny it - there was a story in their school newspaper about those players coming to the school for basketball).

The underlying problem is that the big city schools just have so many kids to choose from, weather they are "recruiting" or the kids are just deciding to go there. I don't even think I was complaining about this when you all jumped down my throat. I was just saying I thought (because of these advantages), I'd still bet on the private schools in the near future, even though right now it looks like Oskaloosa should have the most talent next year and the year after.

It's not just the private school that do this. When i was in school at SC East, we poached kids from SBL and other SC schools that were good athletes. Some kids would move out of SC district but still attend East. I have no problem with a kid wanting to attend a private school for education, sports, religion, ect. It comes down to the integrity of the coaches and athletic departments of private schools. Let the parents and kids make the choice without being approached by coaches

Reactions: iowalongs230
They had Faith Pope for one year in 2013 when his family moved to Mount Pleasant while his dad was being treated at the University of Iowa… Mount Pleasant had a foreign exchange student for one year… So don’t make it sound like they had transfers every year state the facts correctly

As far as two guys taking the majority of the shots!? That’s exactly how Xavier has won their last two titles and is built this year
Relax fella I just said Mtp won State without transfers and the last 2 times to State they had transfers.
But since you want to be a fool I believe the Danville kid and Sherman kid might of landed in there somewhere.
I hope Mtp wins it this year I'll be pulling for them because it's all local kids.

Reactions: Bulldog198240
Relax fella I just said Mtp won State without transfers and the last 2 times to State they had transfers.
But since you want to be a fool I believe the Danville kid and Sherman kid might of landed in there somewhere.
I hope Mtp wins it this year I'll be pulling for them because it's all local kids.
I’ve been a fool more than once ...Not aware of any Danville kid going to MP or Sherman kid....do you have those confused with kids that went to New London ?....was that Pre 2012?...

Public vs. Private is a simplistic way of framing the issue. It's much more complicated than that. It's economic advantages, involved parents, a winning culture, high expectations, availability of additional training/club sports and coaching among other things.
Things which are often found at many successful public and private schools that consistently win...
Complaining about the type of school is missing the bigger picture.

Gotcha… I forgot about those guys I think it was Shelman?..I believe they both role players not exceptional basketball players

No issue with bulldog but I am going to use your answer, some of the loudest protesters eventually get to the same point, 'oh I forgot about those 3 starters that joined my school' pine hits pretty close. I have seen good and bad at all kinds of schools. If #'s are the key component than DSM wins every year.

Reactions: iowalongs230
No issue with bulldog but I am going to use your answer, some of the loudest protesters eventually get to the same point, 'oh I forgot about those 3 starters that joined my school' pine hits pretty close. I have seen good and bad at all kinds of schools. If #'s are the key component than DSM wins every year.
True, no harm done...but those kids that came to MP were not game changers...came to try to play with “big boys” and it didn’t work out

Again my only complaint is big city advantages and playing smaller class...other than that transfer all you want!...Hahahah

Same with Xavier. Joens and Mims take the vast majority of the shots for Xavier just like Sartorius and Magnani do for MP. Barring upset, I think those will be the top two teams. The problem with the shut down defender thing is, those are four of the best back-court players in the class. I would really like to see one of those teams play Norwalk with their guards.

I think the seeding will go 1. Xavier 2. MP 3. Osky 4. Norwalk, if all four make it. The rest of the field is going to be tough to seed IMO, and even these four teams may jumble around a bit.

Reactions: Bulldog198240
Same with Xavier. Joens and Mims take the vast majority of the shots for Xavier just like Sartorius and Magnani do for MP. Barring upset, I think those will be the top two teams. The problem with the shut down defender thing is, those are four of the best back-court players in the class. I would really like to see one of those teams play Norwalk with their guards.

I think the seeding will go 1. Xavier 2. MP 3. Osky 4. Norwalk, if all four make it. The rest of the field is going to be tough to seed IMO, and even these four teams may jumble around a bit.
Wow you are correct on CRX having 2 guys taking most of there shots. I didn't realize that so I guess whatever team that has there 3,4,5 guys hitting will be in drivers sit.
Should be fun

People thought that would happen going from 4A to 3A?

You'd have been surprised at what was being said just before the 2006 season. Heelan having a (very) off year only added fuel to the nonsense. Of course, the following years took care of that.

Heelan was really good vs Lemars. Maybe after underachieving in close games all year they are hitting their potential. Hazekamp was a beast, going for 29 pts and 21 rebounds.
Teams split two close during season and SB-L slow down game and three point shooting should keep it close. If SB-L isn’t allowed to play thug ball on Hazekamp like they were allowed last year, he will be the difference. No one on the court has his ability.

Heelan was really good vs Lemars. Maybe after underachieving in close games all year they are hitting their potential. Hazekamp was a beast, going for 29 pts and 21 rebounds.
Teams split two close during season and SB-L slow down game and three point shooting should keep it close. If SB-L isn’t allowed to play thug ball on Hazekamp like they were allowed last year, he will be the difference. No one on the court has his ability.

The only time ive seen Hazekamp was against Omaha Central. They had a very talented post player who gave Hazekamp fits. I dont know if anyone in 3A is that good because it seems like Heelan needs to play through Hazekamp.

The transfer that saved SB-L from a five win season, thought only private schools cheated, is pretty good he will have the assignment to foul Hazekamp all game long, whoops I mean guard.

Reactions: Kraftwerk
where did he transfer from? anyway, tomorrow nights game should be intense. As an East fan, im honestly pulling Heelan

Transferred from Siouxland Christian, their basketball team turned into a complete dumpster fire after last year and the coach leaving.

I'm sure he probably grew up in the Siouxland Christian school district his whole life and this isn't a situation where he's just transfering back now that the basketball team isn't as good ;).

(JK, I'm just talking crap and have no clue what the actual story is btw)

I'm sure he probably grew up in the Siouxland Christian school district his whole life and this isn't a situation where he's just transfering back now that the basketball team isn't as good ;).

(JK, I'm just talking crap and have no clue what the actual story is btw)

Christian schools have no district, they have people lining up to drive hundreds of miles uphill both ways and write big checks to do so. All in the name of athletic dynasties. o_O

BHcrusader2010 how'd you like the game last night. Heelan squad was down 17 in the third quarter. I can't wait to hear your excuses or complaints about the transfer.

Saw Heelan and SBL last night and i have no idea who the transfer even was but they had 4 players in double figures and a were a much deeper team than Heelan and had more size. I dont see how one player saved them from a 5 win season.

Saw Heelan and SBL last night and i have no idea who the transfer even was but they had 4 players in double figures and a were a much deeper team than Heelan and had more size. I dont see how one player saved them from a 5 win season.
What kind of style does SBL play? Teams have tried to slow tempo against Osky, but it looks like SBL puts up some points.

What kind of style does SBL play? Teams have tried to slow tempo against Osky, but it looks like SBL puts up some points.

They had some long possesions in the half court but overall they played aggressively and their guards were looking to score/drive even up by 15. Heelan did break them down pretty good with the press and a sped up game. SBL had a 20 pt lead and Heelan got it down to four by pressing them. I dont think theyre great but discplined

Reactions: FarmFam

I don't know if Jeremiah Khat (the SCC transfer) was the difference between SBL going to state and them winning five games, but he was most definitely the difference in the game the other night. Heelan took a few steps back compared to their first two post season games but, ultimately, that's not surprising. They've been doing that since the first of the year.

Heelan and Assumption go down to these poor public schools...LOL!
Xavier was on the ropes to South Tama...
Looks like the private schools are going to have to do a better job of recruiting!
For some reason their coaches just haven't been able to convince enough athletes to spend the money on tuition. :)
Meanwhile no one is talking about all of the kids that have transferred/open enrolled to public in the name of athletic dynasties.

Are you comparing 500 kids from Cedar Rapids who were accepted into a private school to 500 kids who were placed in the public school system? You can't see that the big city private schools basically have the entire city to pluck from? I'm not saying every public school kid in C.R. would go to Xavier if they got a good enough scholarship, but if they want to play at the state basketball tournament there is plenty of extra incentive. That's what the difference is.

Since you guys all seem to disagree with me, could someone explain to me why these 4 private schools have fared better than the 60 public schools in the class?
Good enough scholarship? I wasn't aware that private schools can give out athletic scholarships. I think your off there.

Good enough scholarship? I wasn't aware that private schools can give out athletic scholarships. I think your off there.

They give out academic scholarships. I didn't say they gave out athletic scholarships but nice try.

And yeah, I guess I was wrong all along. Out of the 4 private schools in the whole class, one is the #1 seed and two of them got knocked out in the game before state. Guess that disproves everything from the past 25 years.

*And for the record, if you read up, I said this could be the year where publics have the best shot.

They give out academic scholarships. I didn't say they gave out athletic scholarships but nice try.

And yeah, I guess I was wrong all along. Out of the 4 private schools in the whole class, one is the #1 seed and two of them got knocked out in the game before state. Guess that disproves everything from the past 25 years.

*And for the record, if you read up, I said this could be the year where publics have the best shot.
They don't give out academic scholarships. They give out financial assistance which families have to apply for and show financial need in paying tuition. If your family is an active member of a Catholic church, the church will also help with tuition. But there are no scholarships for academics or athletics. The financial assistance is open to anyone regardless of G.P.A., or athletic talent.

Reactions: Pinehawk and HawkPT
They don't give out academic scholarships. They give out financial assistance which families have to apply for and show financial need in paying tuition. If your family is an active member of a Catholic church, the church will also help with tuition. But there are no scholarships for academics or athletics. The financial assistance is open to anyone regardless of G.P.A., or athletic talent.

Ok, my bad. They give out financial assistance. You can also get grants and all that other stuff. The church does a good job of making it easier to afford to go to these schools. My underlying point was that not everyone is forking up a bunch of money to go there, so it's not like the athletic side of things are just some secondary reason for going to one of those schools. Often a key reason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT