ADVERTISEMENT

Just a random question.

GwinnettDawg

All Conference
Aug 7, 2001
Let’s say I was looking to settle in northern Aladamnbama. Where would you suggest? We aren’t going anywhere anytime soon that I know of. But the FIL passed in May and MIL is 82. She’s still with it so it may be a while but she might want to leave at some point.

Let’s say I was looking to settle in northern Aladamnbama. Where would you suggest? We aren’t going anywhere anytime soon that I know of. But the FIL passed in May and MIL is 82. She’s still with it so it may be a while but she might want to leave at some point.
Athens area is nice

Athens area is nice

How could it not be?

homer-simpson-doh.jpg

East of Huntsville is VERY nice.

It depends on what you are looking for though. You want something in the city? Small town? Or where the hoot owls fck the chickens?

Scottsboro, Cullman, Guntersville...all areas I've considered myself.

It depends on what you are looking for though. You want something in the city? Small town? Or where the hoot owls fck the chickens?

I have friends and kinfolk in Huntsville and Cullman areas. Can't go wrong. Cullman has a few inbreds but mostly its a mix of good country folk and suburbanites that don't want to live in Birmingham. I imagine the rise in remote work will make that more appealing for those who can get away with it.

Reactions: BamaFan1137
Lived in Huntsville for 7 years. Amazing city. Great demographic, more Ph.D’s per capita than anywhere in the US. Libs stick to themselves as they fckn should.

Water is close, mountains, Chattanooga, Nashville.. Atlanta and Athens are drivable but inconvenient. Huntsville airport is easy to get in and out of.

I’ll move back eventually, likely Mount Carmel area towards Scottsboro as 1137 said.

I think we just want our basic stuff. Good grocery like Publix (oh how I miss them), basically the typical suburban enclave. I grew up in a smallish city but honestly I want access to the big box places and the chains. Living here on the Cape where all these turds think it’s so quaint and unique is bullshit to me. Despite all the money that’s here it’s sort of a wasteland if you have to live here year round.

Don’t they always get some fonked up weather up there? Seems like I’m always hearing the are getting snow/ice in the winter and tornados in the summer

Don’t they always get some fonked up weather up there? Seems like I’m always hearing the are getting snow/ice in the winter and tornados in the summer
I seem to recall bad storms tearing AL up that would just fall apart once they hit the state line.

Reactions: ZosoDawg
I also considered just going back to my birth city of Dothan. Close to the beach, pretty good healthcare I think. Just hot AF much like Albany.

I also considered just going back to my birth city of Dothan. Close to the beach, pretty good healthcare I think. Just hot AF much like Albany.
You’ll never believe this, but the “outskirts” of Dothan have grown a ton residentially. Not so much commercially YET, but people are moving away from the “city”… Headland, Rehobeth, Wicksburg.

You’ll never believe this, but the “outskirts” of Dothan have grown a ton residentially. Not so much commercially YET, but people are moving away from the “city”… Headland, Rehobeth, Wicksburg.
Wicksburg? That’s where my fathers side settled in the 1800s. Mostly nothing but dirt farms out there. The cemetery at the church on 123 is full of Thomley folk.

I think we just want our basic stuff. Good grocery like Publix (oh how I miss them), basically the typical suburban enclave. I grew up in a smallish city but honestly I want access to the big box places and the chains. Living here on the Cape where all these turds think it’s so quaint and unique is bullshit to me. Despite all the money that’s here it’s sort of a wasteland if you have to live here year round.

Mount Carmel, Scottsboro has all of that. Scottsboro is a little more remote.

West of Huntsville is a little more built up but not as nice when you approach Decatur and Muscle Shoals imo. There are nice areas out that way though like west Madison.

You red states just keep growing….at the expense of blue states like ILLinois (Chicago specifically), just watch out, those aren’t your run of the mill Yankees!

Got to say as I ponder retirement living, heading down south has crossed my mind, perhaps TN or SC or maybe out west to CO…just seems to be getting more liberal.

Last edited:
You red states just keep growing….at the expense of blue states like ILLinois (Chicago specifically), just watch out, those aren’t your run of the mill Yankees!

Got to say as I ponder retirement living, heading down south has crossed my mind, perhaps TN or SC or maybe out west to CO…just seems to be getting more liberal.

If it's SC, stay the hell out of Columbia and Greenville.

At one point I would have recommended Greenville ftr. The hottest girl I ever dated was from Greenville...save my bride, of course. 😂

She clearly had eyesight issues because she was out of my league. She made up for that by being a shallow bitch and general white trash.

Well I’ll be shit. I know lots of em. I actually owned some land that’s now been developed in a neighborhood called Thomley Ridge.
Just looked it up. That might be the site of the homestead that my grandmothers family settled on. Had several houses all
On an acre or so each. I used to go down there as a small child and there were relatives all along 123 near the HS.

The we’d head straight down 123 to Bonifay,FL where my mother was from.

Just looked it up. That might be the site of the homestead that my grandmothers family settled on. Had several houses all
On an acre or so each. I used to go down there as a small child and there were relatives all along 123 near the HS.

The we’d head straight down 123 to Bonifay,FL where my mother was from.
Got family on Dad’s side in Chipley and Malone but not Bonifay.

are-we-brothers-for-real-john.gif

The commies have outright said that's their plan. Migrate to the red states and turn them purple/blue.

Same strategy the muslims are using in Europe. Migratory takeover.

If it's SC, stay the hell out of Columbia and Greenville.

At one point I would have recommended Greenville ftr. The hottest girl I ever dated was from Greenville...save my bride, of course. 😂

She clearly had eyesight issues because she was out of my league. She made up for that by being a shallow bitch and general white trash.
What about Charleston, I always seem to enjoy the low country.

Reactions: BamaFan1137
The stretch from Spanish Fort down to Fairhope, including Daphne and Montrose, is very good.
Back in the '60's you couldn't buy a loaf of bread along that stretch... from Daphne to Gulf Shores was nothing but soybean fields. We used to call Fairhope 'No Hope'... dinky little town with maybe 3 buildings and one stop light. It's crazy seeing how much it has been developed.

Back in the '60's you couldn't buy a loaf of bread along that stretch... from Daphne to Gulf Shores was nothing but soybean fields. We used to call Fairhope 'No Hope'... dinky little town with maybe 3 buildings and one stop light. It's crazy seeing how much it has been developed.
That looks a little too close to Moby for me.

That looks a little too close to Moby for me.
As a KID 🖕... we took Hwy 98 most of the time going to 'the Gulf' (we never said the 'shores' part)... Hwy 59 was straighter but not much better. Dauphin Island and/or the Gulf was our vacation every summer as well as one weekend a month.

There were actual sand dunes 20' tall back then too... Hurricane Frederick took care of those... doesn't look at all like it did.

Not having been down to Mobile in about 50 years (touring USS Alabama), don’t remember much about the area but remember how my father used to talk about the hospitality of “the south”. Come to think of it, just like the battleship AL belongs in AL, perhaps I can convince feeble Joe he should move the USS Iowa (from crap hole LA) up the Mississippi to IA…..Bet she’ll fit just fine in the lock and dam system. 🙄

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT