ADVERTISEMENT

Four Lisbon wrestlers charged

What big event concluded recently? Hmmmmmm, let's just all lawyer up and prove to our kids that it's not about taking responsibility for our actions but rather how we can get what we want if we can stall the process long enough. This case like many others paints people in a pretty bad light. In my opinion it shows that priorities in this situation are misguided. And please save me the "these kids worked hard for that opportunity and it shouldn't be taken away because of a harmless prank"

What is interesting is that only three of the four wrestlers involved were suspended, but one of the unamed minors in this case ended up competing (see the 152-pound 1A) because of a "legal technicality. This came, of course, after his parents shopped him out to several neighboring districts as an escape hatch, and could not find a district dirty enough to accept him. This did get stonewalled until after the State meet, and there is no question about it.

When one of the wrestlers took the stand at sectionals as a "champion" someone from a school that this wrestler was shopped too(and declined, proud of their decision) called out "why don't you go p*** on your self" the wrestler laughed. Comment and response were uncalled for but provided how out of sorts our priorities are not just at Lisbon but in general. The community that allowed this to happen out of fear of a lawsuit needs to look in the mirror and decide what they stand for.

The comment probably was uncalled for, but hardly unexpected. I was half expecting to hear about stories of tea-bags hanging in Lisbon's locker room at away meets.
I'm not saying it's right, just not unexpected.

The wrestler competing for Lisbon at 152 was not charged by the Linn
County attorney with anything.

Originally posted by 69camaro:
The wrestler competing for Lisbon at 152 was not charged by the Linn
County attorney with anything.

Doesn't matter. Dadthencoach already has all of the facts & he's guilty.

Originally posted by cidhawkeye:
So your saying the 152 guy wasn't involved?

No, I am not saying that at all. I don't know who was involved & who wasn't, nor to what degree people were involved. Do you? Does dadthencoach? Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. Maybe his level of involvement only warranted a suspension from school or the wrestling team vs. expulsion or criminal charges. Since I don't have all the facts, it is hard for me to say the school, the coach, the police, the DA, etc., didn't handle this appropriately.

The 152 pounder was suspended and would have stayed suspended if not for a legal technicality. If he was not charged, I did have that information and stand corrected.

Fairly certain he was involved, fairly certain he was involved in a leadership role. Allowed to continue to compete, disgraceful. Let anyone who knows the story tell us he wasn't involved and provide the facts to back it up.

I had sources within the Lisbon community who told me that the 152 was suspended and would have ended up suspended longer, but that something the administration did incorrectly in the process gave his attorney an opening to get the young man a lesser punishment. He was indeed involved. It has to give one pause to ask how that happened; especially in light of his attempts to transfer elsewhere.

dadthencoach- you are a disgrace to the sport. who are you to bad mouth when you have never had any facts of who was involved and what actually happened? just because you have a "source" in the community of Lisbon doesn't mean anything. I have heard a lot of different stories from people from Lisbon and most of them aren't true.

IAHAWK: My sources factual and reliable. I believe the statements they gave me to be fact and have no reason not to believe them. I believe the the accounts I gave to be accurate. As for your insults of me, the acts of these attackers are what give the sport a bad name. And if you have heard stories that were untrue, that's your problem; my facts are accurate.

Dad is a supporter and promoter of the sport. The incidents at Lisbon and the other schools are the issues at hand. The question to be asked is would you have wanted your son to be subjected to those actions?

IF your "facts" or so accurate... and lisbons 152 pounder was involved.. why isn't he getting charges pressed on him? And if youre such a great promoter of the sport, why are you the one always talking about all these incidents going on around the state with wrestling teams. seems to me that youre doing nothing but stirring the pot. One more thing, you make it seem bad that the 152 pounder was looking to go to another school when they suspended him.. why shouldnt he when they skipped how many steps? Shouldn't kids get a fair chance to tell their side of the story? He and the "victim" both had a meeting with the school and both said it never happened. School tried booting him for antagonizing.

IAHAWK: I'm not even sure where to start.
1. I simply was passing along the news as it was reported in the media. Would you prefer it was swept under the rug? "Stirring the pot?" Ok.
2. As for the transfer, what steps were skipped if the 152-pounder was never in trouble. And, all things considered, what coach with a half of a brain was going to take a kid who was that radioactive? None.
3. You seem to know a great deal of incriminating information about this case that you're willing to give the kid a pass on because he's good. Are you saying assault and abuse are OK? Are you saying bullying is OK? Are you saying it's OK for tougher kids to pick on weaker kids? Just curious; wanted to know where you fall on this matter.
Wow.

Dadthencoach,

You are posting comments which attack the character of high school students anonymously on an internet message board with a great deal of traffic. Your remarks are based on heresay and the credibility of your unnamed "sources."

I'm guessing based on your screen name that you're an adult. You are an adult attacking the character of children. You're not revealing your name...you're not revealing your source's name. You admit in this thread that you may have posted factually inaccruate information.

How would you, as a dad, feel if I made up an anonymous screen name and started ripping the character of your children without first hand knowledge of what actually happened? I seldom post on this board...I'm a resident of Lisbon so I had followed this story from a distance and I recall all of your comments on the initial thread about this from months ago.

There are two independent problems here. One is that some kids got hazed/bullied. The other is that kids are having their character derrided by an anonymous adult who doesn't have facts. Commenting further to express your distain for hazing/bullying does not absolve you of what you're doing. You are assasinating the character of kids and you aren't certain you even have the facts straight. Look in the mirror.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT