ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Openings 23-24

PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
This always seems to be the most popular thread during the off season especially when it isn't a district realignment year. Teach Iowa is no more, so I guess I will have to use Iowa Works to find the jobs?

Why is teach Iowa gone?
Great Question. It is my understanding that the State wanted all jobs under 1 umbrella and platform.

TeachIowa was a tremendous asset for the State, as it was the best place to find education jobs. Maybe I don't know IowaWorks well enough, but it is not very user friendly for me personally.

Great Question. It is my understanding that the State wanted all jobs under 1 umbrella and platform.

TeachIowa was a tremendous asset for the State, as it was the best place to find education jobs. Maybe I don't know IowaWorks well enough, but it is not very user friendly for me personally.
From what I understand, it has to do with the legal requirements after they started the school voucher system. Needed one place for all agencies (public and private) to post openings. Don't know why they didn't just expand TEACH Iowa, but yes, IowaWorks sucks.

Sounds like the Aplington Parkersburg coach was asked to resign.
I think he was put basically in a no win situation being the next coach to step in for the legendary ED Thomas. You want to make the team your own with still keeping the great traditions of the past but I think to many people there wanted him to be like the old days and do things the way they used to be with to many people always looking over your shoulder.

I think he was put basically in a no win situation being the next coach to step in for the legendary ED Thomas. You want to make the team your own with still keeping the great traditions of the past but I think to many people there wanted him to be like the old days and do things the way they used to be with to many people always looking over your shoulder.
I think 14 years gave him enough time to win or lose with his system.

8-2 last year, 9/14 seasons with a winning record (I think). Top 3 TE's injured this year; its tough to run Wing-T without a TE. They were in the toughest 1A district in the state (without a doubt). Be careful what you wish for AP fans and administration, things could definitely be worse than a 3-5 season and a winning record 9/14 seasons.

Maybe their boosters can find a seasoned coach and pay him an extra $50k a year on top of the $5,000 most coaches get as a HS Head Coach (sarcasm intended), otherwise they'll likely get a young coach that has little to no experience, and that probably won't fare well against Grundy, Dike, MFL, Denver and Sum-Fred...(what coach is going to want to take on that schedule next year???)

Good luck AP, grass is always greener on the other side......

Last edited:
Reactions: IAROY
This was never his own program especially with the Thomas family still very much apart of the football program and the school. As some said be careful what you wish for but the next head coach better ask allot of questions before they apply for this job.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Nobody runs the Wing-T like MFL. Maybe AP can recruit the MFL head coach and/or his staff to come to AP for a 6-figure salary??... if that's what they really want to run at a high level. (Again sarcasm)

There are very few Wing-T coaches out there, and even fewer that run it really well like MFL, and like Ed Thomas used to.

Last edited:
This was never his own program especially with the Thomas family still very much apart of the football program and the school. As some said be careful what you wish for but the next head coach better ask allot of questions before they apply for this job.
I am an AP guy and couldn’t agree more. The Thomas family still has their fingerprints all over the program and everyone in the area knows that. Very upsetting decision by the administration. Asking someone to resign when there are zero character issues and more success over his tenure than over half the state in the same time frame is a pretty poor look.

It appears that the “hot seat” is becoming a real thing in high school sports. If the A-P coach is out, there must be other coaches in that same situation with much poorer performance patterns over the past few years than he had. Might be an interesting offseason.

I am an AP guy and couldn’t agree more. The Thomas family still has their fingerprints all over the program and everyone in the area knows that. Very upsetting decision by the administration. Asking someone to resign when there are zero character issues and more success over his tenure than over half the state in the same time frame is a pretty poor look.
Isn't Aaron Thomas the Principal?

Nobody runs the Wing-T like MFL. Maybe AP can recruit the MFL head coach and/or his staff to come to AP for a 6-figure salary??... if that's what they really want to run at a high level. (Again sarcasm)

There are very few Wing-T coaches out there, and even fewer that run it really well like MFL, and like Ed Thomas used to.
Make a call to class A West Hancock, I would say they are the premier Wing T team and they are making their 8th consecutive trip in the state quarter finals. Yes MFL runs a great wing T but West Hancock is even better.

Isn't Aaron Thomas the Principal?
Yes. His son has been the starting QB the last three years and Aaron was always in the ear of the coaching staff on what the offense should be doing. Which isn’t totally abnormal from a parent, but walking up to the staff at halftime of every game isn’t normal. Who is gonna tell him no though…

• Wow
Reactions: NashvilleCy
Make a call to class A West Hancock, I would say they are the premier Wing T team and they are making their 8th consecutive trip in the state quarter finals. Yes MFL runs a great wing T but West Hancock is even better.
Ah yes, you are correct Sir! How could I forget about West Hancock, they are the premier Wing-T school in Iowa, I stand corrected.

I also don't think Coach Sanger is going to leave West Hancock.

I do not know nor have met Aaron Thomas personally, but I have heard a ton of negative things about him, but he's kind of untouchable because of who his father was and he knows that and uses it.

West Branch ran the Wing T from 1988-2007.

From Game 1 of 1990 through to 1996 they didn't lose a single regular season football game. Won 3 state titles, and were within a freckle of 4 in a row.

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk and IGo42
and, on the topic of COACHING OPENINGS:

WEST BRANCH is open as well.
Good luck replacing a 40 year legend. That would be very difficult.

• Wow
Reactions: IGo42
Do you think West Branch is truly open or is there a clear favorite for the position?

Do you think West Branch is truly open or is there a clear favorite for the position?
I don't think there is a favorite.
Personally, i have someone would be great and carry on what has worked.

change can be a good thing, also.

It hasn't been officially posted yet. A few names have been batted about, but I think there will be 10-15 applicants.

I personally think there is a favorite if they want it. I’m not as connected to the program as Blame, but I have my insiders. I think there is 5 clear candidates with 1 or 2 as the favorites if they want it

They already brought Benning over from WH to AP. That has been a while tho since that happened.

I also don't think Coach Sanger is going to leave West Hancock.

I do not know nor have met Aaron Thomas personally, but I have heard a ton of negative things about him, but he's kind of untouchable because of who his father was and he knows that and uses it.
Correct. West Hancock has a great wrestling tradition and Sanger is the head man of that. Aplington Parkersburg doesn't give 2 chains about wrestling. Which is sad, they love their hoops over there. Again, another thing pushed by Thomas.

• Haha
Yes. His son has been the starting QB the last three years and Aaron was always in the ear of the coaching staff on what the offense should be doing. Which isn’t totally abnormal from a parent, but walking up to the staff at halftime of every game isn’t normal. Who is gonna tell him no though…
I wonder if his father would have stood for that from an administrator.

I'm not sure he actually wants it. Perhaps it goes to Ellsbury. The kids seem to really respect and enjoy him.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT