ADVERTISEMENT

Class 2A Midseason Breakdown and Playoff Predictions

Sep 13, 2019
Since we are about to begin week 6 this week, I figured I would give my thoughts on class 2A moving forward as we approach the playoffs.

My current top 10 teams:
1.) Waukon
2.) CLGLR
3.) West Lyon
4.) PCM Monroe
5.) Williamsburg
6.) Solon
7.) Mount Vernon
8.) Spirit Lake
9.) Camanche
10.) Unity Christian

Other teams to consider:
Independence
Sioux Center
Monticello
West Marshall
Esterville Lincoln Central
Algona

Predicted district champions: (teams with byes for playoffs)
D1: CLGLR
D2: Spirit Lake
D3: West Marshall
D4: Waukon
D5: Camanche
D6: Solon
D7: Williamsburg
D8: PCM Monroe
D9: Atlantic
At large: West Lyon

True Contenders:
CLGLR
- dominating teams in NWIA, including a 42-0 win over previous unbeaten Sioux Center. Sophomore QB Zach Lutmer does it all for this team, but their defense that takes them over the top.
Waukon - This team is loaded on both sides of the ball after losing in the championship game last year. Creed Welch leads this offense as one of the best QBs in the state. Expect them to dominate NEIA on their way to the UNI dome.
West Lyon - The matchup with CLGLR will be the best 2A game played in the regular season this year. This run-heavy offense, led by Tanner Severson, will be very tough for opposing teams to slow down.
PCM Monroe - Another team that has consistently made deep playoff runs over the past decade. Offense is led by RB Aiden Anderson while the defense has posted 3 consecutive shutouts.

Darkhorses:
Solon - After an 0-2 start, Solon appears to be back on track. A matchup with Mt. Vernon will really test this team.
Independence - A lot of young talent on this team. Could make a run in the playoffs if can avoid Waukon.
Spirit Lake - Another team that has been known to win in Class 2A.
West Marshall - Another team that has been rolling lately, led by 2A leading rusher Preston Pope.

Playoff Projections: (bold = winner)
Quarterfinals:

CLGLR vs West Lyon
Williamsburg
vs West Marshall
Waukon vs Mt. Vernon
Solon vs PCM Monroe

Semifinals
:
Waukon vs Williamsburg
PCM Monroe vs West Lyon

Finals: