ADVERTISEMENT

Any 5A Fans Out There?

Apr 6, 2007
Attended the Waukee "upset" of Dowling last night in Dowling's gym. Dowling played without Marin Daniel, who's probably their 4th most important player but an experienced one none the less. Jacobson girl from Waukee clearly the cream of the game last night, but Faber and Hittner obviously highly skilled players as well. If these two teams are the top 2 or 3 teams in the class this year, then the fight for the title in March is going to be open to a number of teams. Coach DeJong at Ankeny Centennial is going to earn his keep this year with the mid-season departure of Jaali Winters this week. Thoughts from the east side of the state or from CIML fans?

This post was edited on 12/17 9:29 PM by hawkod

This post was edited on 12/17 9:31 PM by hawkod

I was more surprised by Harlan beating Dowling. Harlan is tough but I didn't know they could get Dowling. Coming from a East side of the state guy.

There will be many "twists and turns" in the CIML this year as there are 5-6 top tier teams (and depending on the night, maybe 7-8). I would be really surprised if anyone goes through the regular season unbeaten, or even with one loss.

Dowling will be really good come tournament time - they are rotating in 2 freshman at the post to free Faber up from getting worn down/in foul trouble - growing pains early (like what Jacobson did to them on Tuesday) but they will be really good come February.

Waukee is tough, especially with Jacobson asserting herself in the paint, they will be tough for a lot of teams to handle with that post presence, (and outside shooting to compliment)

Valley's questions are the opposite - they have the perimeter presence with Vanderweide/Fuller(s) - who will step up so that they can stop/compete with the Waukee/Faber/Knuth presence inside.

Southeast Polk will rely heavily on their perimeter shooting and faces a lot of the same challenges as Valley as it relates to their interior presence. They will look great on some nights and have people scratching their head on others.

Johnston is a sleeper in my estimation, with Knuth/Hinders and Brown on the outside - if they can stay out of foul trouble and find a 4th, they will be tough come tournament time as well.

Centennial just got coal in their stocking with Winters leaving the program, they were young on the perimeter to begin with and now will have to grow up even more quickly with Winters gone. Never, ever count out a Scott Dejong coached team come tournament time however, and they will surprise some people as the season progresses.

On the East (and this is from someone from the West looking at a distance), Iowa City West is balanced and will be tough to guard/slow down. Linn-Mar just got a huge gift in the transfer of Amanda Ollinger and now becomes probably the favorite from the East side of the state. Iowa City High will go as far as the Joens' girls can take them.

Ollinger to Linn-Mar? I see she just scored 25 for Jefferson vs City on Friday night. What's the story there?

This post was edited on 12/18 1:01 PM by hawkod

No problem with this before or after season; smells bad middle of year. I drove 70 miles each way to work for a year; gotta be less than 10 miles from Jeff to Linn-Mar. You'd think she could make it work for 3 more months.

This post was edited on 12/18 1:58 PM by hawkod

On Winters: DM Register had paragraph in today's paper citing " personal reasons ".

This post was edited on 12/18 2:00 PM by hawkod

AN96 - like Hawk said, article cited "personal reasons". Lots of speculation, but very little in the form of solid answers.

She has a lot in front of her with volleyball at Creighton (and is an incredible volleyball player) so my guess is that basketball was probably not as much fun anymore and she decided to focus her time/talents on VB.

Wish her the best of luck - she is an incredible talent and will represent the CIML well at Creighton.

Originally posted by RamBling:

yep, Hawk, you're right, in her last game at Jeff.

http://thegazette.com/subject/sports/ollinger-leaving-jefferson-for-linn-mar-20141218
Looks like its time for the IGHAA to implement a new rule that supplements the current 90 day transfer rule for transfers who don't change their residency. For instance, residency changes during the season that are less than say 50 miles should result in either no play that year or at least a 30 day sit out.

Girls Union website section on tranfers seems to indicate residency must be established for student to be eligible. Gazette article quotes mom as saying they looked at a condo today and will be looking at a house tomorrow. How long does it take to close on a home...45 days? Doesn't look like Ollinger will be eligible until February unless they rent something.

You know the family wouldn't be making this move if it would jeopardize Amanda's chance at playing this season...whether it be at Jefferson or Linn-Mar. Plus, who likes to move in the winter? I can't find any valid reasons for this to be about anything other than getting on a team they feel has a good chance to be better than Jefferson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT