ADVERTISEMENT

3A-1A: Preseason Predictions!

4_1A_2_Nv

Varsity
May 6, 2004
This might be difficult being that the whole class structure is a little under exposed. Anyone have some favorites for each class? Any new schools formed that might have a decent squad in 1A? Could be grounds for some good inter-class matchups. Might be some decent 1A schools woopin up on some 2A schools in their regions.

3A - Of course, Dowling, West, Bettendorf, Valley, but most of all...DM Hoover. Will be interesting to see how Johnston plays under a new coach. I like Hoover this year. They will probably lose some big games throughout the regular season, but they will come together and do well.

2A - I'll start off with my alma mater. Norwalk looks to be the biggest school in the 2A class. One spot away from being the smallest 3A school. Norwalk suffers big losses from a tremendous senior class last year: Gabe Crall, Nate Van Horn, Brian Michelson. Not to mention Kyle Cummings leaving at semester to go play at Tulsa at the next level. Keep an eye on Eric May who will be playing at Valparaiso after high school. Very solid player at all positions. Big Ben Smiley the goalkeeper will be back and Garrett Crall will also be a dominant figure on the field.

Should fair well in the Little Hawkeye Conference and make a run to state.

1A - Haven't looked into 1A schools much.

---------------------------
Just some thoughts now that teams will be practicing and gearing up for soccer to start. Cheers.

3A Outlook:

Bettendorf - Will be solid as usual. They do not play a tough enough schedule though to adequately prepare them for the state tournament.

Pleasant Valley - Will this be the year they finally get past Bett? They have talent but do they have enough to finally make the tourney?

Davenport Central - Lots of hype. Only time will tell if all the hype is accurate. Don't know a whole lot about them, but traditionally I believe they fall behind Bett and PV in the MAC.

Iowa City West - They'll be back at the tourney and if history is any indication, they'll likely be in the finals AGAIN!

CR Washington - Do they have the fire power to push IC West?

CR Kennedy - See above.

Dowling - The reigning state champs should be very good again. They lost Maxey and Waggoner, both DI players. I believe Waggoner scored close to 30 goals last year. How do they replace that production?

Valley - I actually think Valley will be down this year. At least by their standards. Don't get me wrong, they are Valley and will always be good. I just don't think they are as talented or as deep as your traditional Valley team.

DSM Hoover - Graduated 8 of 11 starters according to my source. Got past Valley in substate last year only to lose in the 1st round of the state tournament. They have arguably the best player in the state returning in Husref Jupic. Will he be enough to compensate for the loss of so many starters? How will all of their foreign born players gel?

Johnston - A handful of talented players but an inexperienced group as a whole. They play in what I think is the toughest conference in the state so expect some lumps along the way this year. Also, how will they adjust to a new coach?

Ankeny - This is my sleeper pick. State champions 2 years ago and then upset by Urbandale in substate this past year. I believe they return 9 of 11 starters from a 12-3 team last year. After exiting early last year, I expect that they will have a chip on their shoulder this year.

Urbandale - This is another team to not overlook. They are dangerous if only because they have Noel Medina playing up top. Medina is lightning quick and will score a lot of goals but do they have enough of a supporting cast?

Waukee - Always talented, always underachieves. At least since joining the large class that is.

Teams that could make noise that I know little about - Ames and DSM Roosevelt.

Norwalk will be the favorite in 2A as they should be considering they are the largest school in that class. I won't pretend to know anything about 1A.

Great analysis Goal Scorer except when it comes to Norwalk. The Warriors will be the favorites in 2A because they return a good nucleus of players from last year's state runner-up team that dominated Wahlert in the finals before having numerous breakdowns in the midfield and defense in the last 5 minutes that were brought on by fatigue and injuries. If Norwalk can stay healthy during the state tournament, they should win 2A.
This post was edited on 3/18 8:36 AM by eyecy

Eyecy:

By far the most difficult loss I've watched in all of high school soccer - and it was the state championship. My only concern with Norwalk this year is that their "big gun Senior class" of last year is all gone leaving the goal scoring primarily in Eric May's hands. Which is fine, because he is an incredible player as well. If they stay healthy, and stay smart throughout the season [i.e. no suspensions, etc.] they should be back!

You have to give credit where credit is due and Norwalk has been dominant for quite some time. No doubt about it, Eric May is legit. They have got to be the favorite heading into the season. Things are not nearly as clear in 3A and 1A.

Should be a good year to see how teams settle down in the new classes.
Iowa City West will be tough as usual and Xaiver will do some damage at State in 2A (even though they lost a couple of key seniors).

As for Hoover, Hues is a decent player but I would not be as bold to call him out as the best player in the State.

How are the new classifications determined.
I can't find it on iahsaa.org
It gives the 06-07 data.

Top 48 schools are 2A and the rest are 1A

What about 2009? Where can I find that.

Try this link. The information was down a tad and found under Prelim Soccer Classifications which are based on enrollment (taking in consideration with combined programs).

https://www.iahsaa.org/secure/teamspublic.php?sport=sc

Well, since Iowa City West has been in about EVERY Championship game, since they first won in it in 2000, with Nate Kaeding, I'm going to predict they might be in the mix.

cool.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT