ADVERTISEMENT

2A?

This is not the 2A forum, this the general Soccer forum.

I can however provide some 2A analysis if you would like. Norwalk looks to the be the slight preseason favorite in 2A. They would be the overwhelming favorite but the loss of Cummins (moved to Tulsa) leaves Eric May as Norwalk's only returning scoring threat.

Wahlert loses a lot this year, but will be a contender with Brautigan (sp?) back as a junior. I heard Glenwood returns a lot of players and they played Norwalk tough in the state quarterfinals last year before losing 2-1, so they would be another top contender.

Granted, but I gave you my list of my Top 3 Contenders? Who are your's?

CRX anyone?

not an expert, my son is on the team. Lost Konchar and Wynne, but have 4 players from State Cup winners EIU this fall. whaddya think?

Re: CRX anyone?

Xavier gave Regina a tough battle in substates last year, so they should be tough. I wouldn't put much credence in the State Cup experience because that doesn't always translate into success.

Re: CRX anyone?

ok then I'll back off of the state cup and say that they have 7 starters back including the keeper and 3 solid defenders. scoring will be off with konchar gone but solid defense

My top five is:
1- Norwalk
2- Spencer
3- Wahlert
4- Decorah
5- Glenwood

Norwalk and Glenwood have a tough season schedule and always perform.Enough said about them. Consistent through out high school soccer in Iowa.
Spencer doesn't have a tough schedule at all. They only lost 3 starters from last year. Play really well together. Strong center back.
Wahlert I am not too sure about how they will do.
Decorah is a very well organized team. Only lost one starter from last year. Good at knocking the ball around.
Glenwood. I have no idea at what they will be like, who they are returning. They were just one of the best teams last year, final standings just didn't show.

I predict this to be one of the most "down" seasons in high school soccer in 2A. Lot's of good players leaving the division due to graduation. Seems like a few teams will have some very dominant goal scorers. Solid goal keepers are also going to be next to none in 2A.

Not sure about Wahlert since they lost Louie from last year.

Xaiver needs to be in the top 5 though but worried about Kenny Bader if he is going to be healthy or not for the season.

This is going to be a tough year. I agree with 4_1a_2_Nv, hard to to predict since lost a number of seniors. I would not but much stock into EIU results since that was a combined club team of 4 clubs and they were exepcted to win State Cup.

Spencer should be in consideration for a shot at the state champ if they can get on track and stay out of trouble..They currently have quite a few players out for the first 2-5 games and even some out longer, including a stud defender out for approx 18 games. Beyond that they also lost their left midfielder all season in a basketball collision. With all the injuries and stupid decisions, Spencer will still be a force in 2A this year..

Hudson returns every player from last year's 13-3 squad. They lost all 3 games to G-R who eventually lost to a tough Decorah team in substate. I believe they have around 10-14 seniors. They have solid players throughout the field along with a goalie who is only a junior but has been solid through his first two seasons. This will be a team to reckon with throughout the year. It's too bad Decorah and them will meet in substate, only one survives.

Originally posted by raptors#1:
It's too bad Decorah and them will meet in substate, only one survives.
Where did you see this? I didn't think substate pairings had been released yet.

I understand that Kenny Bader is practicing with CRX right now, but that Chuck Bales is delayed for a couple of weeks. Both are expected to be full strength for the regular season.

That is good to hear per Kenny and Charley Bales. CRX will need Kenny in the back and Charley up front to be a force in 2A.

Substate geographic groupings are on the www.iahsaa.org site as of this week, pairings won't be set until mid May when they are seeded.

Looking at the substate grouping... not much has changed in trying to get the top 8 teams to State. Boone would have been better off picking the site and then waiting to fill out the Substate teams and then seed.

By announcing the substate teams now, Boone can seed all they want to but still does not get them closer to getting the eight best teams to State other than possibly two top teams would meet at the Substate final.

I wish Boone would give more thought to this process and better yet, more thought to soccer as a whole. Still not keen on getting x amount of red cards (which I think is still the rule) and then you cannot participate in State Playoffs.. if that is the case, let's implement for Basketball per Technical Fouls, Wrestling per Flagrant Misconduct, etc.

Just plain disappointed in Boone's attempt to get this right. Yes, realize that to be the best, you need to beat the best.

Boone meets with a group of coaches every year, and this year accepted the coaches recommendations to move to 3 classes, give first priority on substate games to fields that meet minimum size recommendations, and also to seed substates. They are paying attention to soccer. All sports are grouped geographically, this is high school athletics, schools don't have unlimited budgets and games are on weeknights so travel needs to be limited.
As for red card accumulation, only one team has ever accumulated the four in a season. They don't count all reds (such as double yellow for something like hand ball, etc). And part of the reason of having sports in schools is to teach lessons. Be respectful and play the game right and in general you won't get a red. Of course there are exceptions to the rule on occasion, but for the most part it has worked and been a non-issue.

Any action going on this weekend in 2A? The Hudson tournament has Independence, Cono Christian, and Gladbrook-Reinbeck. Hudson won 3-0 tonight in one 40 minute half of play vs. Independence. Started off rusty but picked up their play about 15 minutes in. Were without a key player who got to be a sideline ballboy instead. A-P also beat one of last year's state qualifiers, South Tama, 2-1. South Tama seemed to have one star and that was it. Any other tournaments?

Norwalk invitational

not sure who exactly, but Norwalk obviously, and CRX. Glenwood was last year, but don't know this year

hudson took the tourney beating indee in the championship game. hudson definitely is returning some good players, they have a very solid defense with a decent sweeper. it'll be interesting to see the team at full power, i heard from the crowd that a couple of top players that played on the CV hurricanes are out for misconduct.

indee is looking solid, no real standout players

G-R seems to have lost a lot of players and is having problems

cono has a couple kids who can dribble but not enough size

-indeesoccer, alumni

Hudson came out strong against G-R. G-R was a much weaker opponent than expected. The final of that one was 9-0. Against Cono Christian, Hudson looked like a completely different team. They only won 3-0 and played really flat in the first half. They finished strong by beating a good Indee team 3-0.

Norwalk beat ranked Cedar Rapids Xavier a couple weeks back in the Norwalk Early Bird Tournament. Norwalk handled the game but had a defensive lapse and Xavier scored. Eventually went into PK's. Norwalk beat Davenport Assumption in the same tournament.

Norwalk also beat ADM.

Norwalk 4
Pella Christian 0

Big Waterloo West tournament this Saturday. Bettendorf, Waterloo West, Columbus, Hudson, West Liberty, Marshalltown, Cedar Falls, and NU High are the teams in the field. Should be an exciting tournament with WW, Bettendorf, Hudson, and Marshalltown leading the way.

The pools:
Bettendorf
West Liberty
Cedar Falls
Hudson

I see Bettendorf winning the pool with Hudson going for the 3rd place game.

Marshalltown
NU High
Waterloo West
Columbus

I see Marshalltown meeting up with Bettendorf in the championship while Waterloo West meets with Hudson.

Should be a good one!

Week 1 Rankings

1. Dubuque Wahlert
2. Norwalk
3. Spencer
4. Decorah
5. Cedar Rapids Xavier
6. Keokuk
7. ADM, Adel
8. Glenwood
9. Bishop Heelan Catholic, Sioux City
10. Denison-Schleswig
11. Hudson
12. South Tama
13. Harlan
14. Dallas Center-Grimes
15. Mount Vernon

Week 2 Rankings

1. Norwalk
2. Spencer
3. Decorah
4. Dubuque Wahlert
5. Cedar Rapids Xavier
6. ADM, Adel
7. Keokuk
8. Hudson
9. Glenwood
10. Denison-Schleswig
11. Harlan
12. Bishop Heelan Catholic, Sioux City
13. South Tama
14. Dallas Center-Grimes
15. Waverly-Shell Rock

My predictions were extremely off from the West High tournament. Cedar Falls and Hudson both beat Bettendorf by scores of 1-0. Are they really down this year? CF and Hudson played to a 0-0 tie with Hudson winning the tiebreaker on goal differential (They beat West Liberty 3-0, CF beat WL 2-0). For 3rd and 4th it was CF vs. Marshalltown with M-town winning 2-1 (5-4 pks). In the finals it was West High with an early goal in the 1st half to beat Hudson 1-0. I am still astonished at Bettendorf's play. I don't see them making it to the state tournament this season.

West Des Moines Tournament:

West Des Moines Valley 5
Norwalk 0

Norwalk over Ames in PK's.

DM Hoover 4
Norwalk 0

indee packed it in. didnt have any offense. rasmussen brothers were pretty tough.
hudson is good. they need some respect.
Decorah-2
Davenport Central-1
great game

great game between decorah and central?! that was an awful game controlled by the refs. if the game was played over two 40 min halfs i know the outcome would have been different

Don't sleep on Keokuk. They lost this past weekend to #2 Decorah 1-0. If they can get through their sub-state, they could be tough. I believe they have Ft. Madison in their sub-state, who is tough year in and year out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT