ADVERTISEMENT

2A Top Ten 2018-19

Hawk2015

Freshman
Jan 8, 2015
Any thoughts on teams to look out for next year?

Here are some of my contenders in no particular order.

Treynor
South Hamilton
Western Christian
AP
North Linn
DMC
Kuemper Catholic
Woodward Granger
West Marshall
PCM

Who am I missing?

Solid list Hawk2015.

I don't have a ton of knowledge on East Marshall & what they have coming back. I've seen some of their 8th-9th AAU teams which were quite good.

Also not sure what PC looks like next year?

Solid list Hawk2015.

I don't have a ton of knowledge on East Marshall & what they have coming back. I've seen some of their 8th-9th AAU teams which were quite good.

Also not sure what PC looks like next year?
East Marshall loses their top 8 guys to graduation.

PC will be stronger again but the record will be misleading competing in the 3A/4A Little Hawkeye Conference.

Eddyville-Blakesburg went 20-4 and has quite a bit of their team back (around 65% of their scoring).

Thanks for the info on EM.

Eddyville's 4 losses: GVC, Osky, Lynnville Sully, Van Meter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Deeds
Eddyville-Blakesburg went 20-4 and has quite a bit of their team back (around 65% of their scoring).

Thanks for the info on EM.

Eddyville's 4 losses: GVC, Osky, Lynnville Sully, Van Meter.
Yes, I forgot about EB. Very good team, and has good athletes. They should make a deep run and I would not be surprised to see them make state next year.

Any list should have Iowa City Regina listed. They lose a few seniors, but they also have some underclassman returning to fill the void.

One could argue they were the #2 team in Class 2A this year.

I wouldn't argue it but jackwagon responses like that forces people to point out that they played them closer than anyone at state did. So cue up the 'but Cascade shot out of their mind' schtick. Your objectivity is impressive.
Hmm...Cascade shot 36% from 3 for the season. 33% from 3 in conference games. 27% from 3 against Regina in their close substate win. 43% from 3 against Regina in their 19 point blowout win. 50% from 3 for the state tournament. I know it is weird but it is almost like shooting better helped them win by more points.

Unlike you I have no dog in this fight. I have nothing against Regina and I wasn't rooting for any of the other teams at state. Just a neutral observe who hates the annoyingly disingenuous argument Regina fans are throwing out to make themselves feel better about losing. Cascade got incredibly hot shooting at the right time and combined that with their outstanding defense to win a very deserved state title. But don't act like they would not have had some closer games if it wasn't for their shooting way above their averages all week.

I wouldn't argue it but jackwagon responses like that forces people to point out that they played them closer than anyone at state did. So cue up the 'but Cascade shot out of their mind' schtick. Your objectivity is impressive.

I couldn't care less about how Cascade won. Not every team at state played them either. I'm not against Cascade or for Cacade. I'm just against people posting the most ridiculous things imaginable.

You Regina fans act like nobody could touch them all year. They lost to another opponent. Sometimes the best team doesn't always win. There are many variables. Comparing one win or loss to others that have nothing to do with your team make you look foolish.

I am not from your part of the state either. Good luck to your team next year. There's a good chance you don't make it again.

I think Regina is still a year away. Their best players were sophomores and two freshmen got real minutes.

But, they lost to exactly one 2A team this year. The team that won it all. And, nobody played Cascade closer in the post season.

So, was Regina a real contender this year? Yeah, they were. Not ridiculous at all.

Reactions: UnionFootballFan
I couldn't care less about how Cascade won. Not every team at state played them either. I'm not against Cascade or for Cacade. I'm just against people posting the most ridiculous things imaginable.

You Regina fans act like nobody could touch them all year. They lost to another opponent. Sometimes the best team doesn't always win. There are many variables. Comparing one win or loss to others that have nothing to do with your team make you look foolish.

I am not from your part of the state either. Good luck to your team next year. There's a good chance you don't make it again.

I have yet to see someone say that Regina was untouchable all year. Perhaps the Regina defense was better. Making stuff up seems to be good for you. Feel free to share the 'untouchable' posts, I missed them. Keep up with the fair and balanced approach. No bias shown at all.

Reactions: Pinehawk
I have yet to see someone say that Regina was untouchable all year. Perhaps the Regina defense was better. Making stuff up seems to be good for you. Feel free to share the 'untouchable' posts, I missed them. Keep up with the fair and balanced approach. No bias shown at all.

Your whole argument has been about how they played them closer than anybody. I know you're not very intelligent but that would imply they were untouchable by everyone else.

What bias? I know reading requires intelligence as well, so I'll repeat that I don't care about either of your teams. Just pointing out how stupid a couple of Regina's fans are.

I think Regina is still a year away. Their best players were sophomores and two freshmen got real minutes.

But, they lost to exactly one 2A team this year. The team that won it all. And, nobody played Cascade closer in the post season.

So, was Regina a real contender this year? Yeah, they were. Not ridiculous at all.

Your whole argument has been about how they played them closer than anybody. I know you're not very intelligent but that would imply they were untouchable by everyone else.

What bias? I know reading requires intelligence as well, so I'll repeat that I don't care about either of your teams. Just pointing out how stupid a couple of Regina's fans are.

You may want to retrace the thread, re read what has been typed by those of us involved and then get back to me on intelligence levels, reading comprehension and whether you 'care' or not. Feel free to continue the personal insults, it contributes greatly to the support of your perspective. Since you may need some assistance on things that last part was sarcasm.

Relax people. Give Pinehawk and Mtdew_fever a break. They are just pointing out that Regina was a solid team. Rightfully so. And will be better next year. Sure they both know how one team did against another on any given night is too subjective. If that was the case Northeast would be the best 2A team in the state (only team to beat Cascade) and Camanche would be #3 ( lost at Cascade by 1 in OT ) Don’t think that’s the case. Lol.
Do agree there will be a changing of the guard coming in 2A in eastern Iowa though. Cascade’s days are numbered. As well as NE. ( nothing coming from lower levels )
Regina (started 2 Sophs) and Camanche (started 2 sophs and freshman) should only get better.

You may want to retrace the thread, re read what has been typed by those of us involved and then get back to me on intelligence levels, reading comprehension and whether you 'care' or not. Feel free to continue the personal insults, it contributes greatly to the support of your perspective. Since you may need some assistance on things that last part was sarcasm.
Honestly it is just weird how tightly Regina fans are clinging to Cascade's coat tails. I have never seen a fanbase so proud of a loss before. I'm sure Regina had a nice team this year and it sounds like they will again in the next few years as well. But this continued bragging about a loss is a little pathetic.

No one is bragging about a loss. Simply pointing out they had a solid year and only lost to one 2A team who happened to be the eventual state champ. It was a really good season. Better than most teams had.
And, I don't think they will be a top 10 team next year. I think they are two years away, but we'll see.

No one is bragging about a loss. Simply pointing out they had a solid year and only lost to one 2A team who happened to be the eventual state champ. It was a really good season. Better than most teams had.
And, I don't think they will be a top 10 team next year. I think they are two years away, but we'll see.

Saying that one could argue they were the 2nd best team in the state isn't bragging?

I never said that.

The person who did can speak for themselves, but it wouldn't consider it bragging so much as an opinion based on comparative results. Which we all do at times when trying to evaluate teams and match ups.

Haha. One could take it either way as there appears to be people on both sides of that argument. I am not a Regina fan, so I don't care either way.

[QUOTE="mtdew_fever, post: 162634, member:

One could argue they were the #2 team in Class 2A this year.

Maybe my meter is off, but I thought/took that last line as sarcasm.[/QUOTE]

Everything I’ve heard about Regina has drama and is political. Sounds like there are a select few pulling the strings so there will always be suprises, turnover, additions, odd coaching changes, transfers, etc. A very odd dynamic is how it has been described to me. They have a tendency of eating their own

Everything I’ve heard about Regina has drama and is political. Sounds like there are a select few pulling the strings so there will always be suprises, turnover, additions, odd coaching changes, transfers, etc. A very odd dynamic is how it has been described to me. They have a tendency of eating their own

Wouldn't agree with that at all.

I wouldn't say 'everything', similar to most schools there are people who get things done. Whether they 'pull the strings' I don't know. My kids enjoyed their time there and were talented enough not to have their strings pulled.

To the op 'one could argue' isn't really bragging, proud of or hanging on to. Just pointing out how the season played out. Keep looking for things to offend, they are always available.

Notably missing from next years 2A cream of the crop will be the Siouxland Conference. Sioux Center, Rock Valley, Sheldon, West Lyon will be down next year. GLR in 1A will be the team to beat, after that it is wide open but doubt any 2A teams will challenge.

Notably missing from next years 2A cream of the crop will be the Siouxland Conference. Sioux Center, Rock Valley, Sheldon, West Lyon will be down next year. GLR in 1A will be the team to beat, after that it is wide open but doubt any 2A teams will challenge.
How do you think GLR will do in 1A state?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT