ADVERTISEMENT

2A state track

DarkThunder#61

All State
Sep 28, 2005
Suppose an official thread is necessary...

Post any results standings you want on here.

Currently there's a three-way tie atop the leaderboard:

1. Monticello 16
1. St. Edmond 16
1. Durant 16

Nate Kolacia came in 4th for SE in the 3200 while Ben Ahlrichs of Monticello picked up 2nd to help Monticello gain an early lead. SE was helped, however, by Seth Reel who picked up a point for the Gaels with an 8th place finish.

St. Edmond and Monticello went 1 and 2 in the 4x8 with the Gaels picking up the win in a shade under 4 seconds faster than the Panthers, and just 2 seconds off the state record.

At the end of day 1 for Class 2A here's how the leaderboard looks:

1. Monticello 29
2. St. Edmond 26
3. Durant 16
4. Gilbert 10
4. Mediapolis 10

Neil Flattery won the 400 in a time of 49.47. George Sehl picked up 6th place points for Monticello.

What separates Monticello from the field after day 1 was a 1st place finish from Ben Stutt in the shot put with a throw of 56'6.25".

Friday is the big day for the contenders to earn points with the relays starting up.

I didn't get a chance to see the 4x800 but heard SE's last two runners were phenomenal. I heard they announced Flattery's anchor leg at 1:53, can anyone confirm this?

I was kind of disappointed with Loveless from Solon today. I thought he would look quicker.

I've just been reading the updates on the state website.

SE ran a 7:55.76 in the 4x8. It was faster than their state title-winning time in 2009 (7:57.59), and fastest in 2A since the state record was set by Tipton in 2000.

Looks to me like it will come down to the 4 X 400 between SE and Monty. Except for the weather, this has been a good 2A meet-some disappointments and some surprises.

Agreed, its a 2 team race now. The 4x4 will be nuts!! IF SE wins the 4x4 they will set a state record for most consecutive relay events won in a row. Pretty impressive track dynasty SE has going

I've been looking at the scoring possibilities and it really could come right down to the wire.

West Marshall may be a bit behind right now, but they will probably pick up a lot of point tomorrow to make a late push.

Monticello continued to get some good points out of Stutt in the field events as he got 3rd in the discus. He's the reason Monticello leads again after day 2.

The 4x4 is going to be very interesting. 4 teams ran a 3:24 in the prelims with all 4 separated by mere tenths of a second.

1. South Central Calhoun 3:24.23
2. West Marshall 3:24.45
3. St. Edmond 3:24.64
4. Dyersville Beckman 3:24.99

SE and Beckman ran in the same heat while the other 2 ran in separate heats.

Here's the current standings after 10 events:

1. Monticello 41
2. St. Edmond 38
3. Durant 24
3. Mount Ayr 24
5. Mediapolis 16
6. West Marshall 15

Monticello - 41
St. Edmond - 38
West Marshall - 15

Saturday:
Monticello:
Noah Williams - 800, defending 2A 800 champ, 10th time this season
Ben Alrichs - 1600 - 6th qualfying time, 9th time this season
4x400 - 7th prelims time, 1st qualifying time, 11th time this season
Predicted points: 8 (800), 7 (1600), 6 (4x400). Total: 62

St. Edmond:
Neil Flattery - 800, 4th time this season, smoked Williams in 4x8
Nate Kolacia - 1600, qualifying time, 3rd time this season
4x400 - 3rd Prelims time, 4th district fastest qualifying time, fastest 2A time this season
Predicted points: 10 (800), 5 (1600), 10 (4x400). Total: 63

West Marshall:
Aaron Arment - 100, 200, great chance to win both
Eli Streeter - 800, 20th qualfying time
4x100 - 2nd last year, 2nd qualifying time (districts and prelims), 2nd time this year
4x400 - 2nd qualifying and prelims time, 2nd time this year
Predicted points: 10 (100), 8 (200), 10 (4x100), 8 (4x400). Total: 51

I think SE and Monticello have a big advantage in the 4x400 compared to West Marshall and South Central Calhoun because they don't have a lot of races today like the Open 100, 200, and 4x100. The only runner in the SE 4x400 who won't be fresh is Neil Flattery, who will have several hours of rest, and Noah Williams the only one of Monticello. This hurt West Marshall last year a lot. After seeing the 4x800 on Thursday, I don't think there's any way Neil Flattery lets anyone beat him in any race. These are just my guesses, but either way it will be down to the wire.
This post was edited on 5/20 8:24 PM by tigercat9

I predict the final score will be FDSE with low to mid 60's in points, WM will be in the low 50's and Monticello will be in the high 40's.

On a "what if" side note, West Marshall had the misfortune of having Ferch and Bunn injured late in the season and unable to enter in the LJ and open 400 respectively at districts.

Ferch was runner up in LJ last year (21' 11" 3/4) with a career best of like 22 4 last year I believe. He hardly jumped this year due to injury. Bunn has been under 50 in most of his 4x4 splits this season when healthy.

10-18 possible points between them would have at least made this more interesting.

Obviously there are always a ton of what if's but an intersting side note.

Nate Kolacia won the mile today with a time of 4:26.31 nearly 6 seconds ahead of runner-up Nathan Davis of Clarion-Goldfield.

Neil Flattery continued his impressive run at state with a 1st place finish in the 800 with a time of 1:55.33.

West Marshall took the 4x100 title narrowly edging Iowa Falls-Alden (43.03-43.15).

Current team standings heading into the 4x400:

1. St. Edmond 58
2. Monticello 47
3. West Marshall 45

South Central Calhoun dethroned the Gaels in the 4x400 winning in a time of 4:21.35 with SE finishing 2nd in 4:22.98. West Marshall DQ'd. Monticello finished 5th.

Despite their runner-up finish, the Gaels have wrapped up their 2nd Class 2A team title in 3 years.

Team standings:

1. St. Edmond 66
2. Monticello 51
3. West Marshall 45

How did West Marshall get DQ in the 4x4 man there was a lot of that this year it seemed like. Congrats PCM on a great track season, brought home a state title in the lows!

Apparantly, they were told that West Marshall's first runner (freshman) in the 4x4 stepped on the line on the curve and after the race was over they were told they were DQ'd.

They finished a close 2nd to SCC with a time of 3:21:98, a full 2nd ahead of the next closest.

Their DQ bumped everyone else up a spot, including SE up to 2nd place in the 4x4.

The DQ results in WM finishing 3rd overall in the team standings instead of 2nd. Too bad, I feel bad for the kid but luckily all 4 of them return next year.
This post was edited on 5/22 12:55 PM by terrehawk

Originally posted by terrehawk:
I predict the final score will be FDSE with low to mid 60's in points, WM will be in the low 50's and Monticello will be in the high 40's.

I wasn't too far off. If WM hadn't been DQ'd in 4x4 the final score would have been

SE 64
WM 55
Monti 50

I had:

Arnold: 51.4
Fosbender: 53.2
Kesten: 48.8
Flattery: 49.4

Too bad they couldn't get a 5th straight, I know the guys were really hoping for that.

Funny thing is, if Nick Tarbox never transferred to South Central Calhoun after his sophomore year, the Gaels could've set a new scoring record for points in class 2A, along with easily running away with the 4x400 and possibly setting new records (Tarbox was 3rd in the 400).

"Easily running away with the 4x4"???

Please explain.

Sounds like they finished 3rd.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

How many steps on the line are allowed? Is one step allowed, but consecutive steps not?
Originally posted by terrehawk:
Apparantly, they were told that West Marshall's first runner (freshman) in the 4x4 stepped on the line on the curve and after the race was over they were told they were DQ'd.

They finished a close 2nd to SCC with a time of 4:21:98, a full 2nd ahead of the next closest.

Their DQ bumped everyone else up a spot, including SE up to 2nd place in the 4x4.

The DQ results in WM finishing 3rd overall in the team standings instead of 2nd. Too bad, I feel bad for the kid but luckily all 4 of them return next year.

You didn't read correctly. I simply stated that had Tarbox stayed at SE, they could've shaved a good 4 seconds off their time in the 4x400, not to mention other races. He transferred to Rockwell City his junior year which combined with Southern Cal in sports this year to South Central Calhoun.

Rule 5.12.1A - without being fouled and while running around a curve, steps on or over the inside lane line or curb for three or more consecutive steps with either or both feet.

Does anybody know why Fosbender from St. Edmond stopped with about 10 meters to go in his leg of the 4 X 400? He looked like he was going to walk off of the track.
This post was edited on 5/22 9:35 PM by Spoon3251

Finished 2nd, exactly like the results say. If you're DQed, essentially you had an unfair advantage to get to the line before someone. So, say I cut across the infield and knock of 85 meters of a race, you'd say I still finished in front of someone but they were awarded my position? Extreme example, but sometimes that's what you have to do to get the point across.

Originally posted by Spoon3251:
Does anybody know why Fosbender from St. Edmond stopped with about 10 meters to go in his leg of the 4 X 400? He looked like he was going to walk off of the track.

This post was edited on 5/22 9:35 PM by Spoon3251
Heart. You have to have lots and lots of heart. He didn't have heart.

Originally posted by Thegipper:
Fosbender stopping may have been the difference for St. Eds.
Not Fosbender stopping, just Fosbender's 2nd leg in general took them out of the race.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT