ADVERTISEMENT

2A Cross Country will be tough this year!

mfp mmiv

Freshman
Jan 27, 2008
Anyone care to venture a guess as to top 5 2A boys and Girls XC this year. Appears to be a strong class. Boys: Monticello, Spirit Lake and Northeast Goose Lake are all tough. Girls Northeast Goose Lake, Unity Christian, and Regina all appear to be front runners. Who will be the surprise teams of 2012! Missouri Valley appears to have strong teams in both girls and boys. St. Edmonds can be a 2A contender this year.

I would say (barring massive injury/illness problems) no team will be "contending" with the Monticello boys. They return as good a team as 2A has seen since the 4 class system came into effect, and no one else is even remotely close based on returning state runners. Basically, they return a #5 that is 20-30 seconds better than everyone else's 2/3 runner. Their #6 is as good as anyone's 2/3 and they also had some excellent JV runners that would have scored for almost any 2A team at state last year.

Although, I do agree with the quality of many of the teams you highlighted, and they will be potential top 4 teams.

Agree - Monticello boys could be awesome if all return healthy! Seems like the XC quality for top teams in Iowa has imnproved significantly in past 5 years - each year gets better. Also translates into some outstanding spring track performances. I believe the summer XC running programs have really expanded in recent years.

Don't think they will be top 5, but South Central Calhoun boys team I think will make some noise. Had a very strong boys team last year with mostly freshman and sophomores led by Ryan Daisy and Coach Knapp does a great job over there!

Northeast Goose Lake looked pretty good last night. St Edmond ran better as well. Gilbert didn't look very good but I don't think they were 100% after looking at results.

Second place should be up for grabs. Monticello if they stay healthy really are in a class all by themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT