ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Season

I was surprised by the west liberty/ west branch score last night. I thought WL would put more than 3 on the board. Anyone watch that game?

I was surprised by the west liberty/ west branch score last night. I thought WL would put more than 3 on the board. Anyone watch that game?
Any insight on WL? We hopefully will be playing them for a shot at state as long as we beat Columbus for a third time. Was a pretty physical game (one way) last night with 3-4 yellow cards.

WL plays it through the middle and over the top. Their backline is probably their weakness. How their games are officiated really influences the game. Almost better for an opponent to come out and set the tone with physical play to force the refs to get the game in check early. One of their midfielders is legitimately probably the dirtiest soccer players I've seen in iowa soccer.

Reactions: rc1963 and Pinehawk
Mepo defeats Notre Dame 1-0 to win conference tournament. First time beating ND in school history. Next first on the agenda, qualifying for the state tournament.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Thanks. The program has improved pretty much every year since it started. Drew’s enjoying playing again this year after taking last year off and playing goalkeeper which he hasn’t done since 7th grade in club and he split time his two years there, one with Matthew Hudson at FC United who is now at Sporting KC U19 team and his last year at Sporting Iowa East. Looking forward to seeing what they can do this year and definitely next year as their relatively young.

I haven't seen him play this year but I have to image his goal kicks are bombs. Best of luck in the playoffs.

The computer system did not do its job and need some tweeking. It was too volatile at the end of the season, with too many teams propped up by weak schedules. The first round at state may see some lopsided games.

The computer system did not do its job and need some tweeking. It was too volatile at the end of the season, with too many teams propped up by weak schedules. The first round at state may see some lopsided games.
They told us this was going to happen. Specifically said it wouldn't be accurate until week 6 or 7. The bigger thing is did they really do what they said they'd do? I didn't capture the power rankings on Sunday after cutoff. Did they award the number 1 seeds to 1-8 and the 2 seeds to 9-15? Based on the current ranking, it seems like some exceptions were made, unless they really moved that much this week.

I guess, as long as nobody who should be at state gets left out and nobody with a legit shot at the championship gets deprived of that shot, then the rest really doesn't matter. It just doesn't feel very accurate and transparent.

I did capture the rankings that Sunday and the only top 8 team not to get a 1 seed in substate was Unity Christian which got a 2 seed, I am guessing just based off of geography. PC was the 9th ranked team and moved up to a 1 seed in substate 6. They do have a losing record but are 4-1 vs 1A teams and 2-1 vs 2A teams. The two losses came last week after substates were released and they were without 2 starters all week. It is not a perfect system by any means.

I also think you can not read too much into regular season games played after the playoff brackets are released. I know several coaches resting some players or trying different things during those games because it does not affect the playoffs.

If the State is going to give a #9 ranked team a #1 seed, then you don't double down on it by giving them the weakest #2 seed in their bracket as well. You give them the #10, 11, or 12 ranked team. I would guess there will be a team that doesn't reach State that could have beaten both of those teams.

If the State is going to give a #9 ranked team a #1 seed, then you don't double down on it by giving them the weakest #2 seed in their bracket as well. You give them the #10, 11, or 12 ranked team. I would guess there will be a team that doesn't reach State that could have beaten both of those teams.
Very true - but let's also remember, this is an issue for most sports - how many years do you have the situation where the AL East is strong an someone gets eliminated in the playoffs that could have been a world series team?

I understand it happens, and geography plays a role. But, they showed some flexibility, and the ability to work outside the ELO rankings, when they made Unity a #2 seed.
So, they could have evened things up better.
I also always prefer fewer rematches. And, there are quite a few rematches. Part of the fun of the post season is playing new teams. Not playing the same teams two or three times.

I agree if you are going to use the ELO for seeding, use it to fill out the first 2 seeds of all substates. I think teams would be willing to travel to keep the seeding consistent.

State really did GR zero favors for being the overall number 1...On top of getting NFV, just noticed they have to play a double header at waterloo columbus instead of hosting.

Does it have anything to do with facilities? Granted I know nothing about most outside of SE Iowa 1A/2A schools.
I dont recall a post season where GCGR didnt host at least their first game. Unless something has changed, i dont think its a facilities issue.

There are some interesting assignments next round. The state sends Regina to host at CR Prairie while West Branch hosts at IC West. Also, Western Christian has to host at Bishop Heelan while Unity Christian hosts at Dordt University.

Reactions: DCAHawk
How do the #1, #2 and #4 ranked teams not get to host home games in the 2nd round?
Did they not earn that during the season? That makes no sense.

Reactions: DCAHawk
Someone please explain to me how GCGR gets NFV in their bracket as a 4 seed, now ranked 7th and 12-6 and they don't even get to host. They hosted all three games last year without issue but now have to go to Columbus Catholic to play? The initial bracket that came out at least had NFV as a 3 seed which would have made more sense but then changed it. I'm sorry but that is a slap in the face to those kids.

Think about it from the NFV perspective. If they set the brackets at the end of the season, they are a #1 seed.
Instead, they are a #4 seed, and have to play the #1 ranked team in the 2nd round (having already beaten the #2 and #3 seeds in their bracket this season).

Think about it from the NFV perspective. If they set the brackets at the end of the season, they are a #1 seed.
Instead, they are a #4 seed, and have to play the #1 ranked team in the 2nd round (having already beaten the #2 and #3 seeds in their bracket this season).
I don't disagree at all, I think the system is broken and needs to be fixed and I don't think that the best 8 teams in the state are matched up correctly.

Why can't they treat it like football? All games could have been completed by 5/11 and bracket come out the next day. You would still have enough time to get ready for the playoffs. It's really is not that hard, just take some work. Soccer is treated like a second class sport in this regard.

Reactions: ponydude08
If its facilities is that the same issue for Regina and WC who also have to play at neutral sites? Why not put all the games at a neutral? With the way things shake out the regular season means little.

Last edited:
Hear me out, I don't understand why Denver gets to host as a 2 seed but GCGR doesn't. Why not just have GCGR host a double header and Columbus host a double header if refs are the issue?

Location GCGR
5:30pm GCGR vs NFV (bracket 2)
7:30pm Hudson vs Marquette Catholic (bracket 3)

Location Columbus Catholic
5:30pm Columbus vs Cascade (bracket 3)
7:30pm Denver vs Postville (bracket 2)

Is the GR field too small? The game I watched, they were doing throw ins directly into the box in front of the goal, which made me think their field was too small.

I can see that being the reason for a different location in some cases (i.e. West Branch).
But, Regina while doesn't host the 2nd round game, they would host the Sub State Final if they advance, which tells me it isn't a facility issue in that case. So, maybe it is a ref shortage issue. Although I'd think the #2 team, which happens to be located in a bigger city, could have been a priority for the assignor.

GCGR hosted all three games last year and has hosted in years past. The same thing happened at Denver a few weeks back, throw when into the box right in front of the keeper. I don't think the field at Columbus is much larger if any.

If its facilities is that the same issue for Regina and WC who also have to play at neutral sites? Why not put all the games at a neutral? With the way things shake out the regular season means little.
I'd be in favor of moving games to neutral sites, decided in advance. You know where games are going to be and where to have refs, just not who'd playing yet. Then you can wait until reg season is done. Friday night scores reported, Saturday assignments and seedings and you find out where you're going on Monday. At least then you can let the ELO be at it's best based on a full season. Still think there's room to improve the ELO calculation.

Reactions: privateer13
I think this is would be the best system, but how do you account for grass vs turf? GCGR whooped us on their grass field last year. I think that was only the 2nd time we played on grass and it showed. It might show the other way taking away a huge home field advantage.

I think this is would be the best system, but how do you account for grass vs turf? GCGR whooped us on their grass field last year. I think that was only the 2nd time we played on grass and it showed. It might show the other way taking away a huge home field advantage.
Mepo practices/plays home games on turf yet I’d argue we’re a better team on natural grass. Granted we only had 3 home games this year.

Mepo practices/plays home games on turf yet I’d argue we’re a better team on natural grass. Granted we only had 3 home games this year.
My personal opinion is that turf sucks for soccer (but my opinion doesn't count for much). The issue here has to be refs given some of the teams like regina that play on a regulation field not getting the second round games. However, I am not opposed to fields like west branch and the GR field (assuming GR still plays on that tiny field that creates set pieces on 40 percent of throw ins) not getting home games. Those fields are a travesty to the game.

Reactions: Pinehawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT