ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Season

There are some interesting assignments next round. The state sends Regina to host at CR Prairie while West Branch hosts at IC West. Also, Western Christian has to host at Bishop Heelan while Unity Christian hosts at Dordt University.
Not enough refs in NWIA. The state/teams wanted ref crews of 3 and only way to make that work was to host double headers with 2a games at Heelan and Sioux Centers field. WC should host us on Wednesday.

Yes, 3 refs. Letting it be physical though. Heading to OT.
They let them play pretty physical in the Regina/Tipton match as well. Got a little chippy at one point but settled down after that. Not sure, maybe there was warning given.

Congrats on your win!

They let them play pretty physical in the Regina/Tipton match as well. Got a little chippy at one point but settled down after that. Not sure, maybe there was warning given.

Congrats on your win!
Thanks. Tall task ahead vs. West Liberty. Watched the first part of their game. Very good on the front half. Defense and GK will need to be on point.

Thanks. Tall task ahead vs. West Liberty. Watched the first part of their game. Very good on the front half. Defense and GK will need to be on point.
Their forwards are quick, can really accelerate if they get a ball through and they strike really solid balls. It's tough for defense. You can't let anything get behind or they will capitalize on it but the real danger is falling into a defense only stance and not attacking. If you do that, it's only a matter of time.

Not sure if they really showed how physical they can play in what you saw, but the tone an tempo of the game can be impacted if the refs take control early or let them play.

It took us awhile to get things going in our game. 10 days off helped us recover from injuries but we were a bit rusty. Anybody know much about West Branch? I see they have a player with 24 goals which is impressive.

It took us awhile to get things going in our game. 10 days off helped us recover from injuries but we were a bit rusty. Anybody know much about West Branch? I see they have a player with 24 goals which is impressive.
They rarely string more than 3-4 passes together. Both their defense and midfield are just looking to send long balls through to their forwards, who are always right on the back line ready to take off when they see a ball about to be launched. It's ugly soccer, but it has worked against poor defenses.
Close them down quickly so they don't have time to get off the long kicks and they'll turn it over. They can all strike it pretty hard, so much of the game is just them clearing the ball away and hoping one bounces through the opposing back line for a counter.

Here's my prediction for the seeded 1A State Tournament

1. GCGR
2. Western Christian
3. Regina
4. West Liberty
5. West Branch
6. DSM Christian
7. Treynor
8. Columbus Cath.

(only have lingering doubts about a couple of those)

Here's my prediction for the seeded 1A State Tournament

1. GCGR
2. Western Christian
3. Regina
4. West Liberty
5. West Branch
6. DSM Christian
7. Treynor
8. Columbus Cath.

(only have lingering doubts about a couple of those)
So for seeding they move back to the weighted point system for wins vs class size, correct?

So for seeding they move back to the weighted point system for wins vs class size, correct?
Yes, and by my count Regina and west liberty tie at 22 points Regina would get the first tie-breaker with the head to head

Yes, and by my count Regina and west liberty tie at 22 points Regina would get the first tie-breaker with the head to head
Isn't it the weighted points divided by the number of games played? Also, I think it is all regular season games, so substate games don't count. If that is the case, West Liberty would be the higher seed on points per game.

Last edited:
This is what I have for regular season games. I very well could be wrong, it happens from time to time. :)

PointsPoint AvgName
311.938 Gladbrook-Reinbeck
201.667 Western Christian
211.400 West Liberty
181.385 Des Moines Christian
201.333 Unity Christian
181.200 Underwood
181.200 West Branch
151.154 Mediapolis
211.105 Regina Catholic
161.067 Hudson
161.000 Beckman Catholic
150.938 Treynor
150.882 Denver
110.688 Van Meter
100.667 Columbus Catholic
80.571 Pella Christian

Reactions: privateer13
Isn't it the weighted points divided by the number of games played? Also, I think it is all regular season games, so substate games don't count. If that is the case, West Liberty would be the higher seed on points per game.
Good catch - I skipped the divide by number of games.

and I didn't count substate games either - I was doing lots of toggling back and forth with the classification list with teams I wasn't sure were 2 or 3 A.

Thanks for the tally

Reactions: ponydude08
Lol, no worries. I'm kind of a nut when it comes to this stuff. For some stupid reason I like looking at numbers. :) I've got a big spreadsheet that calculates it all so all I have to do is copy the table from Bound and paste it in, had to make a few tweaks to remove the substate games though. Anyway, good luck tonight to everyone's teams!

Reactions: rc1963
Regina up 4-0 at half. Beckman has only really had 2 or 3 semi-decent opportunities. Nothing put on frame.

Well my knights lost to Western Christian tonight. I hadn’t posted much on here lately because my son said they did better when I didn’t post, which they did. Still a little disappointed in the state for pairing the 7th ranked in the same district as the 4th ranked, but what are you going to do when there’s only 2 other 1a schools within 100 miles of us. Anyways congrats to WC on their 3rd straight state appearance.

3-0 WL at half. Way too many chances for them. We’ve had a couple decent ones. Did get a yellow for sliding knees first into Drew (GK) after the ball was gone. Got some flops as well.

3-0 WL at half. Way too many chances for them. We’ve had a couple decent ones. Did get a yellow for sliding knees first into Drew (GK) after the ball was gone. Got some flops as well.
They broke the Beckman keeper‘s jaw doing that.

They shockingly only have 5 YC all year. I think 3 of those were against regina.
That’s not accurate-at all .

There are games in Bound they had cards in that don’t show any and the game by game total doesn’t match the industrial/team total. 5 is an unde report of at least 8. So it should be 13, probably more.

Reactions: DCAHawk
Someone is going to have to explain to me how Regina was ranked #2 in 1A for most of the season, and has beaten West Liberty and West Branch, yet is seeded at #6 behind them both.

Someone is going to have to explain to me how Regina was ranked #2 in 1A for most of the season, and has beaten West Liberty and West Branch, yet is seeded at #6 behind them both.
State rankings are decided on a points per game system like they have been for years. That system never seems to favor Regina’s schedule.

Reactions: DCAHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT