ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Season

Data in, data out. When the data isn't good it becomes subjective.... see Fort Madison and West Branch. I'll eat crow if either of these teams do well at state.

Random thought: I think Columbus catholic is a sleeping giant. Been trying to figure them out all year. They were good last year and I thought the pranger kid returned. Haven't watched film but I don't think their record represents them well enough

I'm interested in how an algorithm can be subjective. I mean it's straight forward math. Doesn't it remove subjectivity? I agree that it's not indicative of quality for the reasons you stated, but I don't get how it's subjective.
It’s still set up by a human(s). Also, when everyone doesn’t play everyone and as I pointed out previously the transitive property doesn’t work in sports. It can always be improved, but yes it’s may be better than previous years still.

Reactions: DCAHawk
It’s still set up by a human(s). Also, when everyone doesn’t play everyone and as I pointed out previously the transitive property doesn’t work in sports. It can always be improved, but yes it’s may be better than previous years still.
I don’t disagree, I just didn’t understand your subjective comment.

I’d much rather have a bunch of coaches argue why this should count more than that. Calculated rankings try to give answers without all the data. It’s how we ended up with an ncaa wrestling tournament where two number one ranked (by coaches) returning champions ended up with 2 seeds. The tournament guys will argue 1 or 2 doesn’t matter, a three seed is at adistinct disadvantage if they should have been a 2.

I wish we could go back to a coaches poll.

Hopefully regina loses all the tournament games in a bad bad way this weekend and is a 2 with west branch or west lib? My goodness, west branch AD needs a raise

Mepo sneaking up the rankings with a decent going team. Not sure they deserve a 1 seed in Substate with the other area teams, but I haven't seen all the teams play and don’t believe all of them are as good as their record shows including Mepo. Definitely a tiered group but mixed in the rankings.

Random thought: I think Columbus catholic is a sleeping giant. Been trying to figure them out all year. They were good last year and I thought the pranger kid returned. Haven't watched film but I don't think their record represents them well enough
We played them the first game of the season. They definitely didn't look as impressive as they were last year. Get them again next week. Hopefully they continue to underwhelm me.

Mepo sneaking up the rankings with a decent going team. Not sure they deserve a 1 seed in Substate with the other area teams, but I haven't seen all the teams play and don’t believe all of them are as good as their record shows including Mepo. Definitely a tiered group but mixed in the rankings.
Mepo will play Burlington Notre Dame tonight. BND is not as good as they have been, but are a solid team.
If Mepo is in the top 8, then they should win tonight convincingly. Beckman beat them 5-0 a week ago. St. Albert beat them 2-1 a week ago.
West Branch plays at Beckman tonight. That game will probably look like a tennis match.

I don't know if I see much movement in the top 16. I don't know if West Branch would move much with one loss. Regina having a difficult tourney this weekend probably doesn't move the much. WColumbus may move into 8th but I don't see anyone else falling out.

They should be firmly into at least a 2 seed, which, aside from home field considerations is just as good. Especially in a 6 team bracket.

I don't know if I see much movement in the top 16. I don't know if West Branch would move much with one loss. Regina having a difficult tourney this weekend probably doesn't move the much. WColumbus may move into 8th but I don't see anyone else falling out.
It's going to take someone falling out to the top 8 tonight or tomorrow to make that happen.

It will be very interesting to see how they fare against GR next Tuesday. It comes too late for rankings/pairings, but it could answer a lot about who either of those two teams are. Then again, with substates established, it becomes a "doesn't matter" game except for potentially impacting State tourney seedings (and obviously pride and keeping the foot on the gas going into substates.

They should be firmly into at least a 2 seed, which, aside from home field considerations is just as good. Especially in a 6 team bracket.
I think they end up a 2. Schedule is too weak especially our conference. We should score more than we do with how many shots we put up just don’t have the great finisher. Defense is solid.

The computer ranking was not kind with West Branch’s loss. From 3rd down to 14th.

Hopefully regina loses all the tournament games in a bad bad way this weekend and is a 2 with west branch or west lib? My goodness, west branch AD needs a raise
So much for WB being a 1. They tanked against Beckman 3-1 last night. Dropped to 14th…. Looks like they get to be someone’s 2 seed. Guess they need to put that raise on hold

Even if West Branch had earned a home game in the postseason, they couldn’t host one on that field. It’s extremely small, it has bare dirt patches in front of the goals, and it’s so bumpy that a ball can’t even roll without bouncing.
Move the WB games to the actual football field, instead of that practice field.

• Haha
Even if West Branch had earned a home game in the postseason, they couldn’t host one on that field. It’s extremely small, it has bare dirt patches in front of the goals, and it’s so bumpy that a ball can’t even roll without bouncing.
Move the WB games to the actual football field, instead of that practice field.
There are some very poor fields throughout the state that are non-football fields. Not sure why they don’t use the football fields other than not wanting to tear it up at all.

There are some very poor fields throughout the state that are non-football fields. Not sure why they don’t use the football fields other than not wanting to tear it up at all.
They’d have the entire summer to grow it back into top notch shape, if that’s the concern.

I’m guessing it’s sacred Ground, for football only.

It’s also a little tight, not sure they could get 60 wide out of it.

But agree, that field was close to unplayable, a couple balls took crazy hops on it.

Maybe they could play down at &Mepo…;)

I’m guessing it’s sacred Ground, for football only.

It’s also a little tight, not sure they could get 60 wide out of it.

But agree, that field was close to unplayable, a couple balls took crazy hops on it.

Maybe they could play down at &Mepo…;)
A regular football field almost meets the minimum for a soccer field so if some can’t get the extra 2 yards out of it then they have a bad/dangerous football field, too. Also, I don’t like soccer on turf especially on the windy, spring days. I’d much rather watch them play on a nice, lush natural grass field the way it’s supposed to be. Mepo if they wanted could use their old football field.

Reactions: rc1963
The association is going to drag this out until 12:00 or longer aren’t they? Are they using last nights results to help?

The association is going to drag this out until 12:00 or longer aren’t they? Are they using last nights results to help?
I haven’t seen anything disclosed by them. I got the noon projection from you, so on the one hand, they said it was on scores through Saturday, but if they can move the release without any announcement, I guess they can do anything they want… I wish they’d just communicate what they are doing. Any doubt why there is near zero trust in anything they do?

I haven’t seen anything disclosed by them. I got the noon projection from you, so on the one hand, they said it was on scores through Saturday, but if they can move the release without any announcement, I guess they can do anything they want… I wish they’d just communicate what they are doing. Any doubt why there is near zero trust in anything they do?
Coaches received an email yesterday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT