3. Heelan
4. Wahlert
5. Oskaloosa
6. Norwalk
7. CPU
8. Glenwood
9. Waverly-Shellrock
10. Spirit lake

I take XAVIER #1 until someone in 3-A takes them out..
Oskaloosa is a top 4 team as is Waverly and Glenwood. West Delaware should be here some place.

Reactions: Bulldog198240
I know its early but who are some top teams next year? I will take a stab at it

1. Mount Pleasant
2. Xavier
3. Heelan
4. Wahlert
5. Oskaloosa
6. Norwalk
7. CPU
8. Glenwood
9. Waverly-Shellrock
10. Spirit lake

If Oskaloosa can figure out what to do with their big men they will be dangerous....but as long as they think they are all guards, then they will not live up to their potential

Mount Pleasant is very good, the only real concern I see is where they will get their size from. They defend great. Coach Rundquist demands it. They can fast break and they are above average shooters, but size may be a factor.

1. Sioux City Heelan
2. CR Xavier
3. Waverly Shell Rock
4. Dbq Wahlert
5. Glenwood
6. Dav Assumption
7. Mount Pleasant
8. Forest City
9. Osklaoosa
10. Pella

1. Sioux City Heelan
2. CR Xavier
3. Waverly Shell Rock
4. Dbq Wahlert
5. Glenwood
6. Dav Assumption
7. Mount Pleasant
8. Forest City
9. Osklaoosa
10. Pella

Good work! I do think West Delaware should be in the mix. They are well coached and have a good nucleus returning. Interesting, 4 schools out of 64 in 3A are private and you have all 4 in the top 10.

Lot of good teams next year in 3A; I'd hate to rank them. Everyone on those lists will be better or at least pretty good, but Mt. Pleasant and Xavier stick out. I just like high school basketball and some of my favorite teams are not necessarily the highest ranked or most powerful. Just to watch some of the young players improve from one year to the next is most enjoyable. And some of the coaches seem to perform miracles each year with the pretty ordinary talent they somehow mold into a cohesive team.

I think Mt Pleasant is going to miss the Australian transfer a lot. He added a lot to their team this year. They will miss his presence down low.

1. Xaiver - 3 peat possible with Mims and Jones back
2. Heelan - top 6 players back including 6'5 swing Hazencamp
3. Wahlert - they are back ! Timmerman outstanding player
4. Glenwood - tough substate losses, Mohr leads returners
5. Dav Assumption - depends on district set up, who survives
6. Mount Pleasant - talented guards, no big men
7. Norwalk - chance to dethrone Pella
8. Osklaoosa - talented but will have to beat Mt. Pleasant
9. Harlan - been quietly lately, beat some good teams in 2016
10. tie Atlantic - again a tough district in southwest Iowa
West Delaware - weak season schedule hurts them

Top 5 teams will be tough! not much after that, some decent teams but too many weaknesses all around. Of course, district pairings will be interesting especially Xaiver, Assumption, Wahlert ( my guess one of three will be sent elsewhere, other 2 will have to battle it out ) and Glenwood , who is do after two tough sub state losses, with Harlan and Atlantic.
Heelan will dominate the northwest, they are loaded and probably very motivated after blowing substate game this year.
Mt. Pleasant and Osky may be sent away from each other.
Should be interesting as always.

1. Mt. Pleasant: Experienced group of shooters and excellent coach
2. Heelan: Top 6 scorers back and they are due for a tournament run
3. Xavier: Can they 3 peat?
4. Waverly Shell Rock: A regular fixture at state...will breeze through their conference yet again
5. West Delaware: Krogman and crew will be lights out again.
6. Assumption: Close last year...Peters and Fitzpatrick lead a solid group of players.
7. Wahlert: Talented young players to go with Timmerman...they could be back.
8. Oskaloosa: Henry and Foster as talented a front line as you will find.
9. Pella: New coach but same stud athletes they bring to the table every year.
10 Norwalk: Vaske and Born are a dynamic backcourt, great guard play usually wins out.

No big for Mt Pleasant is the biggest concern for me, that is why I have them at 7. If they get put in the same substate as Oskaloosa they might not even get to DM.

No big for Mt Pleasant is the biggest concern for me, that is why I have them at 7. If they get put in the same substate as Oskaloosa they might not even get to DM.

That's a very valid point and I agree although I think that can be said about any of the top 10 who do not have a big...Oskaloosa will be a tough out with those bigs...Mt. Pleasant has not lost a summer camp game yet and beat Ankeny Centennial by 30 and Xavier by 25......Sartorius and Magnani have been unstoppable

West Delaware has a solid big, with some role players coming back. They have to be on the list. Also, not going to put a ton of weight on summer ball as most of the time teams end up being a half strength with baseball and other activities.
1) Heelan- return a lot of points
2) Xavier- until someone beats them they are close to the top
3) Mt Plesant- two really talented guards and well coached.
4) Waverly- always talented weak conference. They will always be close to the top with the regular season record.
5) Oskaloosa- With their two bigs they could give Mt. Pleasant a run.
6) West Delaware- Krogmann is solid and have some role players returning.
7) Norwalk- 2 strong guards
8) Glenwood- really close last year and return a great scorer
9) Pella- ? will be interesting
10) Spirit Lake

West Delaware has a solid big, with some role players coming back. They have to be on the list. Also, not going to put a ton of weight on summer ball as most of the time teams end up being a half strength with baseball and other activities.
1) Heelan- return a lot of points
2) Xavier- until someone beats them they are close to the top
3) Mt Plesant- two really talented guards and well coached.
4) Waverly- always talented weak conference. They will always be close to the top with the regular season record.
5) Oskaloosa- With their two bigs they could give Mt. Pleasant a run.
6) West Delaware- Krogmann is solid and have some role players returning.
7) Norwalk- 2 strong guards
8) Glenwood- really close last year and return a great scorer
9) Pella- ? will be interesting
10) Spirit Lake

3A should be fun to watch this year!

Top 5
1. Mt Pleasant- Experienced group that has built for this year. Sartorious and Magnani is one of the best back courts in the state.
2. Xavier- Mims and Joens! Need Schulte to step up his scoring ability this year. Battle tested in the MVC
3. Heelan- return too 6. Hazekamp is a match up problem at 6'6 with the ability to score at all three levels.
4. Waverly Shell Rock- always a contender, return good size in Bahe and Newsome along with skilled guards. Good coach that will have them ready to compete.
5. Assumption- Fitzpatrick and Peeters is a good combo to work with. A couple skilled guards and bigs help round out a solid starting 5.

This is not to take anything away from Mt Pleasant, but they did beat Xavier without Mims and Joens playing this summer. It is very tough to get a read on teams during summer camps, so many kids gone on vacations, baseball, camps, etc. Should be a very entertaining year ahead in 3A and 4A.

Heelan- 5 of Top 6 return and they have height.
Xavier- Mims and Joens combo and likely Xavier recruited in someone to fill the post void.
Mt. Pleasant- Return a solid squad
Assumption- Top 7 are solid anything additional is a bonus
West Delaware- Krogmann and Kelley will carry the torch
Waverly Shell Rock- I don't expect them to drop off with Phyfe departure. They replace well.
Norwalk
Spirit Lake
Glenwood
LeMars

Reactions: drarratkass
I went to the Iowa city west shootout today… Mount Pleasant beat Iowa city west by 1 who had their full squad...Sartorius took McCaffrey to the hole to win it at the buzzer… They also beat Johnston by 10...And beat Dowling with Sam ingoli and John Wagner and their full squad…Sartorius put 20 on them... Their coach told me they went undefeated this summer...So you may say summer is unimportant but yet they just beat 3 4A schools who had their full squads and finished undefeated for the summer...they will be a force in 3A IMO

I went to the Iowa city west shootout today… Mount Pleasant beat Iowa city west by 1 who had their full squad...Sartorius took McCaffrey to the hole to win it at the buzzer… They also beat Johnston by 10...And beat Dowling with Sam ingoli and John Wagner and their full squad…Sartorius put 20 on them... Their coach told me they went undefeated this summer...So you may say summer is unimportant but yet they just beat 3 4A schools who had their full squads and finished undefeated for the summer...they will be a force in 3A IMO
Mt. Pleasant is legit. Sartorius is a gamer and has a great pull up game. Magnani can fill it up as well. The rest of their guys are all skilled and can make shots. They are ready to take another jump this year. I will take great guard play and coaching all day...no way Oskaloosa beats these guys if they took Dowling and IC West out this summer. Spirit Lake has Coburn...they are very intriguing to me as he is the best big in that 2019 class. Does Spirit Lake have anything to go around Coburn?

I would doubt the state allows MP and Oskaloosa to meet up until Des Moines...both teams will be ranked high and will both deserve to be in DM for state ....

I would doubt the state allows MP and Oskaloosa to meet up until Des Moines...both teams will be ranked high and will both deserve to be in DM for state ....
Didn't Mt. Pleasant beat Oskaloosa by 30+ last year? I know Osky has the big kids so that score was very surprising, do they have any guards to go with Henry and Foster?

Didn't Mt. Pleasant beat Oskaloosa by 30+ last year? I know Osky has the big kids so that score was very surprising, do they have any guards to go with Henry and Foster?

Yes they did ...couldn't handle Sartorius who went for 15 in the 3rd qtr to blow it open and Osky couldn't score in the 2nd half...they have a nice guard but they need to figure out how to use their bigs and Henry only scored 5 pts with Sartorius guarding him.

Yes they did ...couldn't handle Sartorius who went for 15 in the 3rd qtr to blow it open and Osky couldn't score in the 2nd half...they have a nice guard but they need to figure out how to use their bigs and Henry only scored 5 pts with Sartorius guarding him.
If they just have a "nice guard", Mt. Pleasant will eat them alive again. Sartorius and Magnani are a very tough tandem. While I agree that the state should try and separate Mt. Pleasant and Oskaloosa, I would not be surprised if they don't. Geography is such a big factor in how they divide them up...they want representation from all over the state over having the best teams at state. It was ridiculous that Mt. Vernon, Xavier, Assumption and Wahlert were in the same substate last year as East Iowa pointed out...but then again they often have to go through each other year in and year out. Waverly and Pella are the only 3A team that consistently seem to get protected by the association.

Reactions: Fatwall
3A will be tons of fun this coming season. As to #1, Mt. Pleasant will be the top team in the rankings because they will have the best record coupled with the best talent they've had in a decade, maybe ever. Everybody's been hearing about them since they were freshmen, and they will be on a mission. Xavier may possibly be the strongest team, but they will still get beat up in the MVC and their record won't allow them to be #1, or even close. Osky will be fun to watch, with their height and talent, and they should be ranked pretty near the top with their controllable schedule. Wahlert has five starters back, but will struggle to be much over.500 in the rugged MVC, although on a good night could beat most. The Eagles have both starting senior guards back, but their three sophomore-to-be guards are perhaps among the best shooting guards in the school's history, I think.

Last edited:
3A will be tons of fun this coming season. As to #1, Mt. Pleasant will be the top team in the rankings because they will have the best record coupled with the best talent they've had in a decade, maybe ever. Everybody's been hearing about them since they were freshmen, and they will be on a mission. Xavier may possibly be the strongest team, but they will still get beat up in the MVC and their record won't allow them to be #1, or even close. Osky will be fun to watch, with their height and talent, and they should be ranked pretty near the top with their controllable schedule. Wahlert has five starters back, but will struggle to be much over.500 in the rugged MVC, although on a good night could beat most. The Eagles have both starting senior guards back, but their three sophomore-to-be guards are perhaps among the best shooting guards in the school's history, I think.
I like both Wahlert and Assumption over Xavier this year of the catholic schools on the eastern side of the state...have a feeling one of these two will be back in Des Moines for the tournament this year. Both return solid pieces, especially Wahlert with their depth. Peters is a budding star for Assumption and with Fitzpatrick running things in the backcourt they will be tough. Xavier doesn't have much beyond Mims and Joens

I dont know if I would go as far as saying this group is better than Jordan Ashton, Starter at UNI, Henry Krieger-Koble, NFL Tight End, Jordan Cotton, Division 1 Wide Receiver at Iowa and Scott Hahn, D2 Basketball player. That team is superior IMO.

I dont know if I would go as far as saying this group is better than Jordan Ashton, Starter at UNI, Henry Krieger-Koble, NFL Tight End, Jordan Cotton, Division 1 Wide Receiver at Iowa and Scott Hahn, D2 Basketball player. That team is superior IMO.
Didn't the team with Ashton win state? That was an awfully talented squad. This years edition is very strong but would have struggled against that group of talent likely.

Rumor flying around from CR Prairie folks I know that incoming freshman Jaylon Moses is going to Xavier. His dad, James was the head coach at Prairie a couple years ago. The kid is already 6'6 and still growing.

Any other impact players entering as freshman or transferring in 3A? Saw CF picked up a LM transfer in girls hoops. Always interesting to see moves made by kids in the off season

Interesting how kids look to transfer from high school to high school. Never even thought of the option when I was growing up. It happens between every school public or parochial. I think kids are more apt to do it because of not liking their coach at their current school etc. Also with AAU ball a lot of these kids probably play together and get talking. Just interesting to see. I grew up in the public school system on a farm if i wouldve transfered we would've had to move the farm!:) We played parochial schools growing up, you know what we did, got better and beat them. :)

Interesting how kids look to transfer from high school to high school. Never even thought of the option when I was growing up. It happens between every school public or parochial. I think kids are more apt to do it because of not liking their coach at their current school etc. Also with AAU ball a lot of these kids probably play together and get talking. Just interesting to see. I grew up in the public school system on a farm if i wouldve transfered we would've had to move the farm!:) We played parochial schools growing up, you know what we did, got better and beat them. :)

AAU plays a big part in it. Those kids are together all summer and start talking about how good their team could be if this kid was with them, etc.

I was thinking recently about Pella's team going forward with a new coach. Does he coach Pella's old style of run and gun offense, or is he a half court guy? They have had a ton of success with their basketball team getting athletes to run all over people, I feel like a guy that could come in and get some half court offense in there could be very successful. When they have struggled in the past at state, it's because teams slow it down on them. Thoughts?

Tony Roe's Way too Early Top 10-

1. Xavier- might be there at end of the year again, but will take time to develop as usual.
2. Mt. Pleasant- seniors time to get it done, will cruise through their easy schedule.
3. Glenwood- lots of weapons that can score it, will be very dangerous.
4. Heelan- Hazekamp and a strong supporting cast should get to Des Moines.
5. Oskaloosa- most talented team albeit it very young. Foster breaks out and they will be tough to beat.
6. Assumptions- excellent program with strong coaching and a budding superstar in Peters.
7. Charles City- Molstead and crew ready to challenge for state?
8. Norwalk- Excellent guards...can they beat Pella?
9. Waverly Shell Rock- great front line and a winning tradition, they should be higher.
10. Spirit Lake- D1 big man in Coburn and a great defensive team.

Tony does a great job and nobody watches as much HS hoops as him. 3A looks to be wide open this year with lots of teams capable of winning a championship this season. Watch out for Wahlert as well!

Can someone give me some insight on Glenwood and Heelan? Don't know much about the western Iowa teams, must have a lot of guys back if they are ranked that high coming off seasons that they didn't get to state.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT