ADVERTISEMENT

1A State Predictions

It was How Not To Play North Linn 101.

Agree with VanderHoop's remark: Whatever it takes to keep Hilmer out of the lane, slow it down, don't leave Miller on D.

Good to see that with everyone watching, they let up in the 4th.

Reactions: iowalongs230
Neither of these teams play real fast, so it is hard to tell how Don Bosco, or GLR would do against North Linn. I do expect both teams to take better care of the ball, but I dont see a reason why either would beat North Linn. Having seen Grandview this year a few times, I think they are the only team with a chance.

At half of GLR-DB game, impressed with DB. They are definitely the better of the two teams as far as matching up with North Linn...might keep it to a 20-30 point game.

Balanced scoring from DB. That's something you probably need to have to run with NL. We'll see if they can keep this up in the second half, but maybe they would make it interesting.

At first I thought GLR was going to give DB problems with their size. But they just cant shoot so DB has been able to clog the lane. DB's guards are very quick, can get to the rim, and can shoot.

At first I thought GLR was going to give DB problems with their size. But they just cant shoot so DB has been able to clog the lane. DB's guards are very quick, can get to the rim, and can shoot.

DB is one of the 3 teams we played this year that made state, the others being Lynnville-Sully and GVC. DB had the slowest of the guards we saw amongst those 3 teams. Nie scored 20 on us, but if was from ball movement (getting defense out of place with quick passes) far more than penetration. L-S and GVC both killed us on drive/kicks, drive/dish.

The biggest problem with DB was Nie being 6'3 and our guards being 5'8, 5'8, 5'10. It was difficult to keep the ball out of his hands.

North Linn is the real deal, wow. 3 of the best guards I've seen on a small school team. I can see why they have had such lopsided scores all season long. Hilmer is a stat machine. Could've easily had a triple double. So much for stat padding.

Reactions: APir8Dad
North Linn had the best day, but I dont think they will run a very fast and experienced Grandview team out of the gym. After watching all the games, here is how I would rank the teams today...

1.) North Linn
2.) Grandview
3.) Remson St Marys
4.) CB St Albert
5.) Lynnville-Sully
6.) Don Bosco
7.) G-LR
8.) Ed-Co

North Linn's didn't show us much today that we didn't already know, they are way better than Ed-Co.

GVC showed they are still a title contender. Their guards are still excellent and the addition of Samake gives them an inside force unlike any other team in 1A. He is still very raw as a basketball player but a freak athlete that can have a big impact on any game. Needs to not pick up dumb fouls though.

Honestly I think RSM showed me the most today
They looked significantly better from what I saw from them last year at State. Last year they seemed to really rely on Ruden to get their offense going. They had a lot more balance this year. Ruden didn't even have a good game and they still rolled over a solid L-S team.

Reactions: mylameusername
As I said earlier, NL vs the field and I will give you 15. They are much better than last year and their pressure will be tough to handle.

North Linn had the best day, but I dont think they will run a very fast and experienced Grandview team out of the gym. After watching all the games, here is how I would rank the teams today...

1.) North Linn
2.) Grandview
3.) Remson St Marys
4.) CB St Albert
5.) Lynnville-Sully
6.) Don Bosco
7.) G-LR
8.) Ed-Co

Keep that thought till Friday

62 ppg before transfers became eligible, 48 ppg after. Against the 6th toughest schedule in 1A.
Still gave up 68 today. Granted...it was against a pretty solid team...by the way...that got to be a very physical game by CBSA....a little too much at times. Maybe if GVC can keep the big kid in the game...they might have a chance if it comes down to GVC vs NL in the final....but NL looks to be the clear favorite after day one.

I think Remsen has a pretty good chance vs GVC. It depends on if the big man can stay out of foul trouble.

I think North Linn beats Don Bosco, but will be their closest game of the year.

Should be a couple good semi-final games.

Something is way off in BC Moore's rankings if Ed-Co is ranked #22. I give them credit for making a run in the state tournament, but #22 seems way over ranked for that team. I

Something is way off in BC Moore's rankings if Ed-Co is ranked #22. I give them credit for making a run in the state tournament, but #22 seems way over ranked for that team. I
BC Moore can be useful and fun to look at...but like any computer program.....it has its flaws. There are numerous examples over the years where the rankings make no sense. Although Ed-Co isn’t the only solid team to get a beating from NL....and may not be the last.it would have been nice to have seen them play one of the other seven teams. They beat Dunkerton to get there...who beat Don Bosco...etc. etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: roosterk
I think Remsen has a pretty good chance vs GVC. It depends on if the big man can stay out of foul trouble.

I think North Linn beats Don Bosco, but will be their closest game of the year.

Should be a couple good semi-final games.

RSM and GV should be a close, hard fought game. NL will blow out DB by 35. Less if they play their subs much to give the horses a rest before the championship game.

Defensive? I responded to your uninformed post. Sorry if I triggered you. Please....break down your simple response. Maybe Meskwaki can get it done next year.
And again, you continue to prove my point. Clearly have a childish mentality of getting defensive and trying to insult another. :(

No one is triggered on this end. I clearly broke down my simple response in my last post, so check yourself Mr. “Sorry, If I Triggered You”.

Loved watching the games today, and enjoyed finally being able to see this North Linn team play.

Enjoyed watching DB advance. Gonna be a tough one for them having to face Hilmer and company.

Still pulling for GVC to advance again and get that intriguing matchup we’d all like to see!

And again, you continue to prove my point. Clearly have a childish mentality of getting defensive and trying to insult another. :(

No one is triggered on this end. I clearly broke down my simple response in my last post, so check yourself Mr. “Sorry, If I Triggered You”.
Seriously...get over yourself. If anyone is childish it’s you...you make an uninformed post and cry about getting a response? ....sorry Meskwaki can’t get it done....maybe next year.....now...go find yourself a safe place.

I'm leaning towards a North Linn win.

If GVC can make outside shots better than they did against Remsen and stay out of foul trouble, then it's a toss up.

If GVC has a poor shooting night, it could get out of hand.

NL has not faced the athleticism of GVC. Flip side is, GVC hasn't faced guards as good as NL.

Really looking forward to this game. Building to it all year, and glad both teams made it to this point.

Edit comment: And let's get some officials in there that can call it accurately and fairly for both sides. Really tired of refs in over their heads; where the athleticism is beyond their experience.

Last edited:
GVC has really struggled shooting the ball, especially DeMeulenesre 8 for 38. It’s mental now. If he misses his first few shots on Friday, he will stay in this funk. NL will take advantage of Samake’s aggressiveness, trying to block everything and get him in foul trouble. Close for maybe a half, the NL goes on one of their patented runs and wins going away.

Reactions: mylameusername
GVC has really struggled shooting the ball, especially DeMeulenesre 8 for 38. It’s mental now. If he misses his first few shots on Friday, he will stay in this funk. NL will take advantage of Samake’s aggressiveness, trying to block everything and get him in foul trouble. Close for maybe a half, the NL goes on one of their patented runs and wins going away.
This is what I'm thinking.
DeMeulenaere has not shot the ball well from the field in the first 2 rounds (but great at the line). He's a great guard and won't turn the ball over like NL is so good at forcing.
Keys for a GVC upset:
-DeMeulenaere's got to hit those open looks and finish at the rim.
-I'd tell Samake not to leave his feet and just defend the rim. He can block Hilmer flat-footed and they'll be trying to draw him away from the basket and get him in the air.
-Either let DeMeulenaere break the press solo, or throw it over the top. The corners looked open against the NL press to me and GVC has the height.
-Don't let Hilmer drive. Easier said than done, but you have to keep him out of the lane. Samake has to defend the rim.
-Even though GVC likes to run, a controlled pace works in their favor. I'd try to burn a ton of clock early just tor frustrate NL.
-Motes should have a good night with his man leaving to double Samake.

DeMeulenaere has not shot the ball well from the field in the first 2 rounds (but great at the line). He's a great guard and won't turn the ball over like NL is so good at forcing.
Keys for a GVC upset:
-I'd tell Samake not to leave his feet and just defend the rim. He can block Hilmer flat-footed and they'll be trying to draw him away from the basket and get him in the air.
-Either let DeMeulenaere break the press solo, or throw it over the top. The corners looked open against the NL press to me and GVC has the height.
-Don't let Hilmer drive. Easier said than done, but you have to keep him out of the lane. Samake has to defend the rim.
-Even though GVC likes to run, a controlled pace works in their favor. I'd try to burn a ton of clock early just tor frustrate NL.

They've been far more controlled, pace wise, than they were last season. I think a lot of this was because of the upgrade in schedule. They forced a lot of the action last year, this year they took it when it was there.

Otherwise, good review. On your last note, while Samake is far more athletic than Montes, Montes is the far better player right now. Samake's arrival let him move into a more natural F type of game, instead of the modified C he had been playing.

Keys for a GVC upset:
Not sure it would be an upset if GVC won....I definitely agree with your point about Samake being a rim protector. But he has to stay out of foul trouble. If he can do that and force NL out of the lane GVC will have a shot. Can’t wait for the game.....just wish it was in the evening so I could watch it!

Population 1,700 vs 215,000

No recruits vs half a team or more recruits.

Feels like Hoosiers, but I like the group that have played together forever in this one.

And here we go......again.....215000 people want to go to GVC but can’t because?? They only want basketball players? This argument is just old. Every year it comes up....except when a public school wins the championship. No....it’s every year! What have there been.....two private school champions in the last 18 years in 1a?

Last edited:
I am sure I will hurt someones feelings on the whole private vs public school thing. Oh well.

1.) Grandview has not broken any rules. They had two kids transfer in (this year), and they had to sit out 90 days. Some would argue they are still gelling.

2.) It apperas private schools have harder working kids in some area, or maybe their parents just have more money. Regardless they like those environments opposed to public schools, so why not send your kid to a school they have a better chance to succeed at, or maybe even feel safer in.

3.) There are tons of schools in Des Moines. Only one in Troy Mills. If you have a super athlete that wants to play at the next level it would make more since to play at a 3A or 4A school where they will get better exposure, better coaching, better resources, and play better competition. That will prepare you more for the next level, rather then winning a 1A title.

4.) We are being told Samake went to Grandview when he moved because his family wanted him in a Christian school. Dowling is Catholic school, so no 4A Christian schoola in Des Moines. Only some small Christian schools.

5.) I went to public school, but would never cry if a good athlete went to a private school. Or even if a person that was not a athlete went to a private school. It means they want better. Sports can help you get into good colleges and go farther in life. Why not go to a good private school, or a quality public school like a Pella, or a Waverly-Shell Rock. It is no different then Harrison Barnes playing at UNC rather then ISU. Or LeBron James going pro rather then playing at Akron.

I'm leaning towards a North Linn win.

If GVC can make outside shots better than they did against Remsen and stay out of foul trouble, then it's a toss up.

If GVC has a poor shooting night, it could get out of hand.

NL has not faced the athleticism of GVC. Flip side is, GVC hasn't faced guards as good as NL.

Really looking forward to this game. Building to it all year, and glad both teams made it to this point.

Edit comment: And let's get some officials in there that can call it accurately and fairly for both sides. Really tired of refs in over their heads; where the athleticism is beyond their experience.
Agree with every statement in this post, great analysis.

Keys for a GVC upset:
Also great points.

And here we go......again.....215000 people want to go to GVC but can’t because?? They only want basketball players? This argument is just old. Every year it comes up....except when a public school wins the championship. No....it’s every year! What have there been.....two private school champions in the last 18 years in 1a?
I have already said private schools big advantage is built in because they charge tuition. Kids and families that go there care and they don't have to take everyone inside their districts borders like public schools do. Recruiting isn't the big advantage, unless you are Grand View. Then it is a BIG advantage, especially at the 1A level.

Charging tuition is a big advantage??? Yes, it's a huge advantage to charge people $8000 when they are already paying property taxes for the local public school.

And if someone talks about "rich families" who send their kids to private school, then I know that person knows nothing about Grand View Christian School.

And here we go with the "recruiting" thing again...

If the GOP controlled legislature gets their way, it will be a moot point as vouchers will allow students to attend any school. If this happens, private schools may see a significant increase in enrollment.

There is a socioeconomic advantage for private schools, especially in the smaller classes. Which means those kids are involved in more activities like youth sports. Recruiting is rarely the problem, except in a case like Grand View.

I don't want Iowa becoming like other states with a bunch of Prep Academies dominating.

To say there is no advantages for private schools is uninformed in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT