ADVERTISEMENT

1A State Predictions

Hawk2015

Freshman
Jan 8, 2015
Ok, let's hear everyone's 1st round winners.

NL vs Ed-Co

GLR vs Don Bosco

GV vs Council Bluffs St Alberts

Remsen St Mary's vs Lynville Sully

I’ll take North Linn and give 15 points vs the field.

You may be too conservative. I’ve been critical of the coaching at NL especially against obviously overmatched teams, but watching them dismantle a good Gladbrook Reinbeck team in the substate was incredible. It wasn’t as “close” as the final 40+ point win. You might be safe giving 20 points.

You may be too conservative. I’ve been critical of the coaching at NL especially against obviously overmatched teams, but watching them dismantle a good Gladbrook Reinbeck team in the substate was incredible. It wasn’t as “close” as the final 40+ point win. You might be safe giving 20 points.
What did they do to GR to win that easily? I to was impressed by a 40 pt win in substate.

NL vs. Ed-Co
GLR vs. DB
GVC vs. CBSA
RSM vs. LS

I have no doubt that CBSA will come ready to play against GVC and will not be intimidated in the slightest. Having seen both teams I would give a definite edge to GVC if they play a decent game but if they're off and CBSA plays well we could certainly see an upset.

What did they do to GR to win that easily? I to was impressed by a 40 pt win in substate.
Their pressure defense is extremely effective. I believe GR turned the ball over on their first seven possessions. They are quick, they trap, and it is nonstop. Personally, I would like to see them get beat....I just don’t see it happening, or anyone coming close.

Their pressure defense is extremely effective. I believe GR turned the ball over on their first seven possessions. They are quick, they trap, and it is nonstop. Personally, I would like to see them get beat....I just don’t see it happening, or anyone coming close.
North Linn plays at a pace that no one has been able to match. 26 games have all been over at halftime, most at the end of the first quarter. I'm sure at state teams will hang around longer, but how long can teams play that way? Better question, how long can North Linn play that way? Lot of people will have their eyes opened up Monday morning on why they score so many points, it's defense defense defense. They are just fun to watch, period.

North Linn plays at a pace that no one has been able to match. 26 games have all been over at halftime, most at the end of the first quarter. I'm sure at state teams will hang around longer, but how long can teams play that way? Better question, how long can North Linn play that way? Lot of people will have their eyes opened up Monday morning on why they score so many points, it's defense defense defense. They are just fun to watch, period.
I would like to add that Monday's game for NL will NOT open anyone's eyes, because they are playing ANOTHER weak team. Let's wait until Wednesday to see if our "eyes will be opened".

Reactions: iowalongs230
Ed-Co is 21-4 with 2 losses to North Linn. Also defeated Wapsie Valley and a highly ranked Dunkerton team to get to state. They are 100% healthy and playing their best basketball right now. They are FAR from a weak team. Maybe the 8 seed at state, but FAR from a weak team.

Ed-Co is 21-4 with 2 losses to North Linn. Also defeated Wapsie Valley and a highly ranked Dunkerton team to get to state. They are 100% healthy and playing their best basketball right now. They are FAR from a weak team. Maybe the 8 seed at state, but FAR from a weak team.
If they are 100% healthy now, were they missing someone when they played NL before?

It will be very hard for any of these teams to handle the aggressive defensive quickness that NL plays with. You can’t simulate that with limited practice time at state.

It will be very hard for any of these teams to handle the aggressive defensive quickness that NL plays with. You can’t simulate that with limited practice time at state.

No disrespect to any of NL’s opponents this year but NL also hasn’t faced a backcourt like GV has either. Both teams play similar styles relying on suffocating defense which generates lots of points. As mentioned above though, plenty of work to be done first, but lets hope we see the game that everyone wants to see come Championship Friday.

WIll be interesting to see North Linn play a team that can actually control the ball and not panic under pressure.
I still think they are the favorite, but a bigger floor makes it a little harder to trap, along with playing teams that match up better physically with them will make it competitive.

What works in their favor is that teams really need to prep for playing a team like NL, & 1 practice might not be enough time.
I'd practice with 6-7 defenders pressing and NL is the kind of team junk defenses were meant for.

I'd try a inverted triangle in 2.
Best defender face-guarding Miller and never switching or leaving to double/help on D.
I'd play waay off Hilmer. He's much more dangerous driving to the hoop and I think he actually prefers to be guarded tight. Post defending the rim

The Hilmer drive with a kick-out to Miller for a 3 is what you need to stop. Take your chances with the rest.

Should be fun to watch!

Last edited:
Reactions: iowalongs230

GVC can. They have a ton of quickness and a lot of length. They also don't panic or rush. With Montes and Samake, they can guard the lane while putting pressure on the ball with their wings.

They haven't pressed as much this year. I think it's partially because they upgraded their schedule and because they really haven't needed it to put pressure on the ball. They'll extend their half court D out to half court and they are quick enough to account for drives and shooters.

Offensively they have 3-4 ball handlers, not just DeMuelenaere. They move the ball as quick as anyone I've seen (we played 5 games against 3 State qualifiers), and don't make many mistakes. And, their best players at driving are also their best shooters.

That's not to say they will beat NL, just that they will match up better than anyone else. NL's strength is GVC's strength.

Let’s be honest here, GR didn’t have good guard play to begin with and NL running them out the gym was a given.

To add to the end of your statement, I would love to see them challenged and hope we get to see the NL and GVC matchup. *fingers crossed*

Let’s be honest here, GR didn’t have good guard play to begin with and NL running them out the gym was a given.

To add to the end of your statement, I would love to see them challenged and hope we get to see the NL and GVC matchup. *fingers crossed*

I hope we get to see the two best teams, whoever that may be.

Running them out of the gym was a given? By who? So I assume you are claiming that every team NL defeated didn’t have good guard play? Yet two teams from their conference are at the Well? Like I said....I’ve been very critical of NL coaching style against lesser teams....but if it gets to NL and GVC....I don’t think GVC will want to get into a fast tempo game. I’ll stick with my prediction.

Running them out of the gym was a given? By who? So I assume you are claiming that every team NL defeated didn’t have good guard play? Yet two teams from their conference are at the Well? Like I said....I’ve been very critical of NL coaching style against lesser teams....but if it gets to NL and GVC....I don’t think GVC will want to get into a fast tempo game. I’ll stick with my prediction.
Why do you get so defensive with every post you type? lol

I shouldn’t have to breakdown my simple response. GR didn’t have good guards, and NL does plus they pressure the ball really well, SO it was a given that they would cause havoc on GR’s guards and win that game with ease.

Seriously hoping for the matchup because it would be an entertaining game.

Also, great way to make assumptions. ;)

No disrespect to any of NL’s opponents this year but NL also hasn’t faced a backcourt like GV has either. Both teams play similar styles relying on suffocating defense which generates lots of points. As mentioned above though, plenty of work to be done first, but lets hope we see the game that everyone wants to see come Championship Friday.
GVC gives up an average of 55 points/game

Why do you get so defensive with every post you type? lol

I shouldn’t have to breakdown my simple response. GR didn’t have good guards, and NL does plus they pressure the ball really well, SO it was a given that they would cause havoc on GR’s guards and win that game with ease.

Seriously hoping for the matchup because it would be an entertaining game.

Also, great way to make assumptions. ;)

Defensive? I responded to your uninformed post. Sorry if I triggered you. Please....break down your simple response. Maybe Meskwaki can get it done next year.

62 ppg before transfers became eligible, 48 ppg after. Against the 6th toughest schedule in 1A.

How many transfers do they have? I'm still taking North Linn, but if GV has some extra kids, maybe it will be close. I really think NL is going to absolutely tear through the field this year, otherwise. I don't care that they've played a fairly weak schedule. They haven't been touched by anybody.

If you are Edgewood-Colesburg, and you have gotten destroyed both times you played North Linn, what would be your game plan this morning? Slow things down like a 4A Des Moines game? Nobody expects them to have a chance, but is there anything they can do under their own power to make the game semi competitive? I hate seeing blowouts at state.

NL vs Ed-Co
GLR vs Don Bosco
GV vs Council Bluffs St Alberts
Remsen St Mary's vs L-S

I like the call on LS over Remsen. This is a toss up game to me. I originally picked Remsen given their team, and play, from last year. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Hawks win it though.

If you are Edgewood-Colesburg, and you have gotten destroyed both times you played North Linn, what would be your game plan this morning? Slow things down like a 4A Des Moines game? Nobody expects them to have a chance, but is there anything they can do under their own power to make the game semi competitive? I hate seeing blowouts at state.

Pretty much what you said. Slow it way down and muddy it up. Lots of different defensive looks and slow it way down on offense. Make it as ugly as possible.

North Linn is forcing turnovers, but Ed-Co is not taking good shots at all. Forcing 3's, and contested shots in the paint. Their only success is passing around and getting open layups when North Linn overpersues. Howevee Edge-Co is not being patient enough for those oppertunities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT