ADVERTISEMENT

1A and 2A Top 10

Apr 20, 2020
Since classifications are out I thought this would be fun!! Just my opinion from looking at stats and knowing some background on teams in western Iowa. I'm sure I'll be way off, but here goes nothing:

1A
1. Van Meter - I think they'll dominate 1A this year. Van Pelt and Pettit are studs.
2. West Sioux - Have a lot returning and always seem to be explosive.
3. Waterloo Columbus - Return their QB, top 2 rushers, and top receiver
4. Pella Christian - Kac and company have quite a bit returning
5. South Central Calhoun - McCalister is a beast and they reload
6. IC Regina - Because they're Regina.
7. Cascade - Return a 1000 yd passer and a 1600 yd rusher
8. West Branch - Because they're West Branch return an 800 yd rusher.
9. Underwood - Return a 2000 yd passer in Ravlin, who is a great athlete.
10. Sigourney-Keota - The Single Wing is tough to defend

Others to watch - Mediapolis, Dike-NH, Western Christian, Denver, Beckman, Emmetsburg, Durant

2A (this class seems loaded with good teams this year....wide open!)
1. Central Lyon-G/LR - Gotta start here. Lutmer is a beast at QB
2. Waukon - Because they're Waukon and they'll reload
3. Southeast Valley - Return athletic QB, top tackler, and the Iowa commit Graves
4. West Lyon - Because they're West Lyon and have the Meyer's
5. Estherville LC - Return their QB and others from a tough team last year
6. PCM - Return a very talented QB and other skill players
7. West Marshall - Return some beasts at RB and QB
8. West Liberty - Galvan is one of the best athletes in the class
9. Greene County - Return athletic QB, RB, and top 4 tackers from last year
10. Camanche - Return Delzell at QB who was great last year

Others to watch - Williamsburg, Wahlert, Spirit Lake, Clear Lake, Tipton, Clarinda

Last edited:
Reactions: pin2winIA
I'm a homer here but dyersville beckman brings everyone back but 3 starters. Beat durant twice. Beat cascade. Lost to Sigourney without punting.

I agree with Beckman some others to think about

1A: Dike New Hartford -is always there around the top 10, Interstate 35- returns a lot off of a 6-3 team, South Hamilton- they lose quite a bit but they seem like they are starting to get it rolling there so it wouldn't surprise me to see them there in the end.

2A: Wahlert- There is a big difference between 3A and 2A and in a way they are going from 4A to 2A with the change in classifications this year, and they were impressive down the stretch last year.

2a Waukon. 1
West lyon. 2
Central Lyon. 3
PCM. 4
West Marshall. 5
Green County. 6
Centerville. 7
Estherville. 8
Camanche. 9
Southeast Valley 10

I agree with Beckman some others to think about

1A: Dike New Hartford -is always there around the top 10, Interstate 35- returns a lot off of a 6-3 team, South Hamilton- they lose quite a bit but they seem like they are starting to get it rolling there so it wouldn't surprise me to see them there in the end.

2A: Wahlert- There is a big difference between 3A and 2A and in a way they are going from 4A to 2A with the change in classifications this year, and they were impressive down the stretch last year.
Oh yeah I forgot about Wahlert. And yes Dike-NH always seems to end up with a strong team! I'm cheating and going back to add them :)

MFL moves up to 1A this cycle. They were 9-2 last year and they've been to the quarterfinals the last two years. They return nearly their whole team, including 4 All-State players and two backs that rushed for 1,100 and 1,400 according to varsity bound. Suppose it will depend on if 1A is considerably tougher than A. MFL's only regular season loss in the last two years was to Wapsie 21-20, and Wapsie put a thumping on a good 1A Denver team last year in a non-district game.

Agree that Beckman should be tough, they're big and have talented skill guys, plus I heard that the Harbaugh kid from Clayton Ridge transferred to Beckman so that will give them another good LB. They already have a tough kid that wrestles 195 that plays LB if I recall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huehney
MFL moves up to 1A this cycle. They've been to the quarterfinals the last two years and return nearly their whole team, including 3 All-State players and two backs that rushed for 1,100 and 1,400 according to varsity bound. Suppose it will depend on if 1A is considerably tougher than A. MFL's only regular season loss in the last two years was to Wapsie 21-20, and Wapsie put a thumping on Denver last year in a non-district game.

Agree that Beckman should be tough, they're big and have talented skill guys, plus I heard that the Harbaugh kid from Clayton Ridge transferred to Beckman so that will give them another good LB. They already have a tough kid that wrestles 195 that plays LB if I recall.

I think 1A is tougher than A. The level of competition among the top 10 is much deeper. That is in no way meant to take anything away from MFL, or speculate on their ability or inability to compete. I think that mistake has happened over the last few seasons, discounting teams moving up classes and then seeing them rise and perform.
Really good teams, teams that play good team ball beyond stars can compete across classes. I would almost say you can lump A (a few select teams) 1A and 2A and say that the best teams could win or lose against the best teams any given Friday.

Reactions: IGo42
I agree with that, I have always heard that the class that is going to be seniors is MFL's best class, so they should be able to compete.

MFL moves up to 1A this cycle. They've been to the quarterfinals the last two years and return nearly their whole team, including 3 All-State players and two backs that rushed for 1,100 and 1,400 according to varsity bound. Suppose it will depend on if 1A is considerably tougher than A. MFL's only regular season loss in the last two years was to Wapsie 21-20, and Wapsie put a thumping on a good 1A Denver team last year in a non-district game.

Wasn't the Harbough kids dad the coach that was basically ran out last year because the superintendent didn't like his coaching. If he did transfer he would have already had to if he wanted to be eligable right away for football unless of course they moved into the district. He was one of their better players.

Wasn't the Harbough kids dad the coach that was basically ran out last year because the superintendent didn't like his coaching. If he did transfer he would have already had to if he wanted to be eligable right away for football unless of course they moved into the district. He was one of their better players.

He started at beckman around Thanksgiving

Sigourney-Keota has had a couple great seasons, did they lose a lot? I know they graduated their top RB, do they have most of their OL back?

Sigourney-Keota has had a couple great seasons, did they lose a lot? I know they graduated their top RB, do they have most of their OL back?
Lost top 2 RB’s, top 2 WR’s (second RB was also top receiver and really good returner). If I remember correctly they seemed to be fairly young across the line, but could be mistaken. Definitely won’t be as good as the last couple of years, but should be a playoff team.

Reactions: IGo42
SK’s DC took the Pekin job. Weber also ran their strength and conditioning. Yes younger across their line but lost a good # of skill kids.

Last edited:
Ranking WB in the Top 10 is an absolute sham
They lost arguably the best QB in school history as well as a D1 lineman. They lost 4/5 of the OL.
WB does return 8 defensive starters.
They are not a top 10 team. They could very easily go 4-4 (2-3). Very easily.
Columbus Catholic vs Van Meter in the title game. If they stay healthy, you can lock this in now.

Reactions: EIHCGuy
Bears losing Hierseman, Fiderlein, and Bowie is pretty substantial. Tough to replace kids like that. Im sure they'll find a way, or someone will move in from IC.

Ranking WB in the Top 10 is an absolute sham
They lost arguably the best QB in school history as well as a D1 lineman. They lost 4/5 of the OL.
WB does return 8 defensive starters.
They are not a top 10 team. They could very easily go 4-4 (2-3). Very easily.
Columbus Catholic vs Van Meter in the title game. If they stay healthy, you can lock this in now.

I will take the over. Butch always gets it done.

Anyone have a good prediction on Mediapolis and SK?
Too early for me to say. A lot can change between now and the start of the season. About all I can do is give my Top 4 for our district in no particular order.

Durant
Mediapolis
Regina, Iowa City
West Branch

Is Regina still a clear cut contender for 1A title without Marv now? Obviously everyone on Regina staff is highly qualified just didn’t know as an outsider what insiders thought? Much of that could depend on what’s coming back too...

Will they hire Dumont who has been there thenlo gear and has pumped 1000s of $$$ into the Regina campus?

Will they hire Hinkel who is far more popular amongst the players?

Gonna be fun to watch

Will they hire Dumont who has been there thenlo gear and has pumped 1000s of $$$ into the Regina campus?

Gonna be fun to watch
Maybe they go Dumont for a few years then Hinkel. Maybe go outside the program? 😉

Gonna be fun to watch
Curious about the "far more popular" comment. Please elaborate. I know previous players that would die on the sword for Dumont. He's vocal and expects results? But is also the first to celebrate a kid's success. They are both competitive and express it differently. One of them stood at mid field after a playoff game and was cussing and about ready to fight another team. Wasn't the one most people would guess.

Last edited:
Curious about the "far more popular" comment. Please elaborate. I know previous players that would die on the sword for Dumont. He's vocal and expects results? But is also the first to celebrate a kid's success. They are both competitive and express it differently. One of them stood at mid field after a playoff game and was cussing and about ready to fight another team. Wasn't the one most people would guess.

Can you elaborate and provide some context?

Can’t wait for the season to start and watch the Dawgs play. Should be a good year. Son is finishing up some training/ranking camps. Kohl’s National Scholarship Camp last weekend and HKA Underclassmen Challenge this weekend. Hopefully kicks off a good year for him and Mepo (pun intended).

Any thoughts going into the season for 1A, it’s been very quiet for awhile.

Can’t wait for the season to start and watch the Dawgs play. Should be a good year. Son is finishing up some training/ranking camps. Kohl’s National Scholarship Camp last weekend and HKA Underclassmen Challenge this weekend. Hopefully kicks off a good year for him and Mepo (pun intended).

Any thoughts going into the season for 1A, it’s been very quiet for awhile.
My prediction is dyersville beckman surprising a lot of people. Whole line and RB are back that drove the field on Sigourney. Tough early schedule with 3 2A schools in non district and have the three tough district games all at home on the turf. Their offense is going to be tough to stop. I am partial we only lost 3 starters.

My prediction is dyersville beckman surprising a lot of people. Whole line and RB are back that drove the field on Sigourney. Tough early schedule with 3 2A schools in non district and have the three tough district games all at home on the turf. Their offense is going to be tough to stop. I am partial we only lost 3 starters.
Dyesrville loses 75% of its offense in quarterback Offerman. Who will pick that up for them this year?

Reactions: EIHCGuy
MFL moves up a class and could have the pieces to make a nice run. They will get tested in their district as they will have Beckman and Waterloo Columbus to contend with. Columbus will be the favorite but I look for MFL to also see the postseason.

2A Thoughts out of the NW corner of the state. On paper it doesn't look like the Lions lost a lot but when you look at the players they lost its 9 starters they have to replace. The seniors last year played a big role in the success the Lions had. The biggest question will be replacing the leadership they brought to the table. If off season workouts are any indication of being able to replace that leadership the Lions should be in good shape. They will find out early as the Lions have a grinder of a schedule to start the year. Two 3A playoff teams in RV/BH and SBL to start the year then a 1A playoff team being West Sioux followed by the first District game against county foe West Lyon. They will be battled tested as I see every game being highly contested. The offense will continue to run through Zach Lutmer who again will most likely be one of the best players in 2A. He wont take anyone by surprise as he did last year so we will see if he can still have as much success with defenses being able to scheme for what he brings to the table. There's been a few names thrown around of kids I will look to see a big year from and there might be a couple sophomores who will be called upon to play some big roles this year.

First District game will likely determine the District winner. West Lyon will continue to be really tough. Game will most likely be another Lyon County classic. West Lyons non district game against Estherville will be highly contested. Be a decent measuring stick for both Districts. I look for Sheldon and Unity to battle out the 3rd spot. I see Sheldon being a lot better than they were last year and Unity graduated a lot of studs so I look for them to possibly be a tick down from what they were last year which was by far the best 5-4 team in the state.

District 2 will be very interesting to watch this year. I don't think there is a clear favorite going into the season. I look for Spirit Lake, Estherville and Southeast Valley to battle out the top spot with OABCIG graduating Cooper I think is a wild card. Spirit Lake is always tough Estherville brings back a stud QB and talented RB/DE, my favorite posters @Maizeandbluee 's son. You have another kid on the team right? Forgive me but I can't remember what position he played. I'll be honest, I don't know much about Southeast Valley except they got a kid committed to Iowa. Should be a dogfight of a district.

Anyway enough rambling. I cant wait for the season to start. Friday night lights are fast approaching. Man I love it.

Dyesrville loses 75% of its offense in quarterback Offerman. Who will pick that up for them this year?
The new qb is just as capable with his feet. With basically the whole line back now coached by ex NFL player the running game will be tough to stop

I'm a homer here but dyersville beckman brings everyone back but 3 starters. Beat durant twice. Beat cascade. Lost to Sigourney without punting.
Beating Durant isn't something you hang a hat on. Ha. They lost QB1 and WR1.

2A Thoughts out of the NW corner of the state. On paper it doesn't look like the Lions lost a lot but when you look at the players they lost its 9 starters they have to replace. The seniors last year played a big role in the success the Lions had. The biggest question will be replacing the leadership they brought to the table. If off season workouts are any indication of being able to replace that leadership the Lions should be in good shape. They will find out early as the Lions have a grinder of a schedule to start the year. Two 3A playoff teams in RV/BH and SBL to start the year then a 1A playoff team being West Sioux followed by the first District game against county foe West Lyon. They will be battled tested as I see every game being highly contested. The offense will continue to run through Zach Lutmer who again will most likely be one of the best players in 2A. He wont take anyone by surprise as he did last year so we will see if he can still have as much success with defenses being able to scheme for what he brings to the table. There's been a few names thrown around of kids I will look to see a big year from and there might be a couple sophomores who will be called upon to play some big roles this year.

First District game will likely determine the District winner. West Lyon will continue to be really tough. Game will most likely be another Lyon County classic. West Lyons non district game against Estherville will be highly contested. Be a decent measuring stick for both Districts. I look for Sheldon and Unity to battle out the 3rd spot. I see Sheldon being a lot better than they were last year and Unity graduated a lot of studs so I look for them to possibly be a tick down from what they were last year which was by far the best 5-4 team in the state.

District 2 will be very interesting to watch this year. I don't think there is a clear favorite going into the season. I look for Spirit Lake, Estherville and Southeast Valley to battle out the top spot with OABCIG graduating Cooper I think is a wild card. Spirit Lake is always tough Estherville brings back a stud QB and talented RB/DE, my favorite posters @Maizeandbluee 's son. You have another kid on the team right? Forgive me but I can't remember what position he played. I'll be honest, I don't know much about Southeast Valley except they got a kid committed to Iowa. Should be a dogfight of a district.

Anyway enough rambling. I cant wait for the season to start. Friday night lights are fast approaching. Man I love it.
Yes I got another son on the team. He is a WR. Don't know what to expect this year. New team, harder schedule, new coaches. Will see though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT