ADVERTISEMENT

Updated Playoff Guesser ver. 2.0.3

KidSilverhair

Varsity
Aug 31, 2008
www.thirdandamile.blogspot.com
Well, here goes again. I missed a couple of games this past week - neither Greene County nor Keokuk are quite what I thought they were last week - so here's another shot at how things might shake out.

D-1
Sergeant Bluff-Luton
Sioux City Heelan
BHRV
Spencer

Storm Lake
Le Mars
Denison Schleswig
Big games left: BHRV at Storm Lake, this week​

D-2
Webster City
Carroll
Algona
Humboldt

Boone
Greene County
Perry
Big games left: Carroll at Algona, Oct. 16​

D-3
West Delaware
Independence
Decorah
Crestwood

Waverly-Shell Rock
Vinton-Shellsburg
Charles City
Big games left: Indee at West Delaware, Oct. 16; West Delaware at Decorah, Oct. 23​

D-4
Xavier
Solon
Maquoketa
Dubuque Wahlert

Western Dubuque
Central DeWitt
Marion
Big games left: maybe Western Dubuque at Solon, Oct. 16?​

D-5
Davenport Assumption
Washington
Clear Creek-Amana
Fairfield

Keokuk
Mount Pleasant
Fort Madison
Big games left: Washington at Assumption and Fairfield at CC-A, both Oct. 23​

D-6 (this is probably the toughest district to figure out)
Gilbert
Ballard
Bondurant-Farrar
Grinnell

Benton Community
Nevada
Newton
Big games left: Bondurant-Farrar at Ballard, this week; Grinnell at Ballard, Oct. 23​

D-7
Pella
Norwalk
Carlisle
Knoxville

Oskaloosa
Chariton
Saydel
Big games left: Knoxville at Chariton, this week
D-8
Dallas Center-Grimes
Harlan
Glenwood
Creston

Winterset
ADM
Atlantic
Big games left: Harlan at Glenwood, Oct. 16; DC-G at Glenwood, Oct. 23​

FIRST ROUND PLAYOFFS
4v1
Humboldt @ Sergeant Bluff-Luton
Spencer @ Webster City
Dubuque Wahlert @ West Delaware
Crestwood @ Xavier
Grinnell @ Davenport Assumption
Creston @ Gilbert
Fairfield at Pella
Knoxville @ Dallas Center-Grimes

3v2
BHRV @ Heelan (D-1 rematch)
Glenwood @ Carroll
Decorah @ Independence (D-3 rematch)
Bondurant-Farrar @ Solon
Maquoketa @ Washington
Algona @ Ballard
Clear Creek-Amana @ Norwalk
Carlisle @ Harlan

Going deeper, and picking winners from the first round (I'm going with Glenwood over Carroll, just because):

SECOND ROUND
Glenwood @ Sergeant Bluff-Luton
Heelan @ Webster City
Solon @ West Delaware
Washington @ Xavier
Independence @ Davenport Assumption
Harlan @ Gilbert
Ballard @ Pella
Norwalk @ Dallas Center-Grimes

Way too many variables here for me to guess any further.

I see a problem with your predictions--Sergeant Bluff-Luton to Humboldt is farther than the 125 mile limit for 1st round games. Seems they will have to play Spencer in the 1st round. Now--Heelan is close enough to play either Glenwood or Harlan in round 1 (assuming one of those 2 teams finishes 3rd in D-8)

Just saw my own mistake though--no #2 seed for BH-RV to play within the distance limit besides Heelan. Unless Algona can somehow pull off the upset against Carroll?

Ah, you are correct about the distance between SB-L and Humboldt. Even after going to the trouble of running everything through Google Maps, I somehow missed the fact that came up as 130 miles.

Those northwestern schools are just so isolated. As I've mentioned before, the only non-district team within 125 miles of BHRV is Algona, so you'd need to have those two finish in the exact right places in their districts to avoid a D-1 rematch. Heelan and SB-L have a few more options (although just five or fewer), and they're all from D-2 or D-8.

Back to the old drawing board, I guess.

Okay, here's the revised version. Spencer and SB-L have to face off in a first-round D-1 rematch. I could then re-jigger some of the other projected games - there's not a lot of wiggle room with these playoff participants fitting into the 125-mile limit. Knoxville gets sent to Webster City (110 miles) and Humboldt goes to Dallas Center (91 miles).

It was a tossup between Wahlert or Grinnell at West Del or Assumption, but since Wahlert and Assumption played a regular season game, I went with the non-rematch. Also Creston could (just barely) go to Webster City, with Knoxville at Dallas Center and Humboldt at Gilbert, but I went with the option that spread the travel around. Given this scenario, the state might send Creston on that 122-mile trip, resulting in shorter trips for Knoxville and Humboldt (and actually less overall travel miles). I dunno.

FIRST ROUND PLAYOFFS
4v1
Spencer @ Sergeant Bluff-Luton (D-1 rematch)
Knoxville @ Webster City
Dubuque Wahlert @ West Delaware
Crestwood @ Xavier
Grinnell @ Davenport Assumption
Creston @ Gilbert
Fairfield at Pella
Humboldt @ Dallas Center-Grimes

3v2
BHRV @ Heelan (D-1 rematch)
Glenwood @ Carroll
Decorah @ Independence (D-3 rematch)
Bondurant-Farrar @ Solon
Maquoketa @ Washington
Algona @ Ballard
Clear Creek-Amana @ Norwalk
Carlisle @ Harlan

As fun as these predictions are, they are going to change the travel rule and the no brackets thing next year, right? We went from the best playoff system in the Midwest (when it was two teams per district) to by far the worst system this year. I'm hoping the changes next year are just a relapse back to the old system.

As far as the 2016-17 districting goes, I've heard of some potential changes that might be in the works. No confirmation on any of this, just rumors.

They might be scrapping the 700 BEDS requirement, and instead just take the top 48 schools by enrollment for 4A. That would likely be the new Iowa City high school and Western Dubuque moving up. Then, there's talk of making six districts of 8 in 4A, with the top two in each district qualifying for the playoffs along with the "next best" four wild cards. However they might determine that.

Does this mean they might go to 7 8-team districts in the other classes? Top two plus two other wild cards? I do not know. Looking at the current BEDS lists, there might be some interesting changes for 2016-17 in 3A. MOC-Floyd Valley, Center Point-Urbana, Spirit Lake, Iowa Falls-Alden and/or South Tama could be in line to move into 3A, while Solon, BHRV, and Gilbert could be going 2A.

Last edited:
Two problems I foresee in your predictions, besides milage the other factor that the state wants to avoid is rematches from district play... I think the state will avoid that at all costs...

Independence won't be a #2 seed...

Mileage actually trumps rematches. If there isn't any other option within 125 miles, the state will put teams from the same district together, at least in the first round. They did it last year, they'll do it again - the 125 mile restriction is a hard limit for first-round travel.

Are you saying Indee is going to beat West Delaware and win District 3? Sure could happen - that's why I've got that Oct. 16 game marked as a big one.

As far as the 2016-17 districting goes, I've heard of some potential changes that might be in the works. No confirmation on any of this, just rumors.

They might be scrapping the 700 BEDS requirement, and instead just take the top 48 schools by enrollment for 4A. That would likely be the new Iowa City high school and Western Dubuque moving up. Then, there's talk of making six districts of 8 in 4A, with the top two in each district qualifying for the playoffs along with the "next best" four wild cards. However they might determine that.

Does this mean they might go to 7 8-team districts in the other classes? Top two plus two other wild cards? I do not know. Looking at the current BEDS lists, there might be some interesting changes for 2016-17 in 3A. MOC-Floyd Valley, Center Point-Urbana, Spirit Lake, Iowa Falls-Alden and/or South Tama could be in line to move into 3A, while Solon, BHRV, and Gilbert could be going 2A.

I hope they do this and add a multiplier for private schools. Would make 3A more competitive and more fair.

The format being proposed by the Coach's Association is 7 Districts of 8 teams. Top 2 teams get in and then 2 wildcard spots based off of some sort of criteria. The majority of the time, the wildcard spots would go to the "3rd" team in a District with a 3-way tie for Champion. 8 teams in a district would also eliminate mid-season non district games. This is the proposal for 3A...keep in mind that not every class is required to have the same criteria. Don't hold your breath on a multiplier, I'm being told that it isn't anywhere in the near future.

Quick comment on some of the discussion above. I also think that Indee will be a #2 seed. They don't have enough fire power on O to beat WD. It will be a close game but WD has too many weapons. I know that Indee beat them last year, but WD was without Lammers and Roussell. It could happen, but I don't see it. Also, I look for WSR to be the 4th team in ahead of Cresco...

I am not a big fan of the multiplier, but I just do not get Xavier not asking to move up to 4A and Regina not moving up to something 2A or 3A. Especially Regina, what do they possibly need to prove?

Same for Wahlert in basketball. Football they are struggling to compete, but come on, how many state titles in 3A do they need?

I am not a big fan of the multiplier, but I just do not get Xavier not asking to move up to 4A and Regina not moving up to something 2A or 3A. Especially Regina, what do they possibly need to prove?

Same for Wahlert in basketball. Football they are struggling to compete, but come on, how many state titles in 3A do they need?

I don't think winning and losing should have anything to do with it. I don't care if a school wins 10 titles in a row. I just don't like seeing a school win 10 titles in a row because we still haven't stepped into the new century and forced the private schools up a class like everybody else does.

As far as the 7 districts with 8 teams and two wild cards...I really hate that haha....that makes room for bias when they are choosing the wild card teams. If you create a multiplier (I think a +50% is what most states do) and even out the classes a bit (8 districts with 8 teams works), I think you'll see the most competitive races for each title. If you look at other states that have good systems, their playoffs are so much fun. Our playoffs (especially in 3A) are usually 75% predictable in every single round.

And as far as Xavier or Regina "asking" to move up. I don't ever see that happening. It's too much fun to beat up on little schools and make it to state in every sport.

Nevermind: I don't strongly disagree with you. I do not think a 50% multiplier would be as effective as you think as 50% doesn't seem to push most of the schools up. In 3A, Assumption, Wahlert and maybe Heelan would still be 3A. The flip side is that making the schools play up seems unfair also.

In many ways, I think the real problem is that the big schools in Iowa are really big. So, there are lots of 300-750 student schools competing with these 1500+ student schools which, in football, is simply not smart.

Perhaps a new 5A for the really big schools and merge A 1A and alter the size on the other schools brackets.

Nevermind: I don't strongly disagree with you. I do not think a 50% multiplier would be as effective as you think as 50% doesn't seem to push most of the schools up. In 3A, Assumption, Wahlert and maybe Heelan would still be 3A. The flip side is that making the schools play up seems unfair also.

In many ways, I think the real problem is that the big schools in Iowa are really big. So, there are lots of 300-750 student schools competing with these 1500+ student schools which, in football, is simply not smart.

Perhaps a new 5A for the really big schools and merge A 1A and alter the size on the other schools brackets.

There is some rumblings of a huge move to 8 man football from the A schools. If this does happen, then altering the size of the remaining 11 man brackets might have to happen.

Finally had a chance today to sit down and look at standings, playoff projections and such. Here is what I have come up with. First off; D6 is a crapshoot to figure out, just like last year. It could go all kinds of different ways, so I had to settle on one way which looks like it was very different then what Kid came up with, so our picks reflect that difference. Otherwise I ended up coming up with similar projections as Kid in the other districts, for the most part. Is impossible to avoid some rematches with the strict mileage restriction. Standings:

D1:
1. Sergeant Bluff -- Lutton
2. Heelan
3. BH/Rock Valley
4. Spencer
D2:
1. Webster City
2. Carroll
3. Algona
4. Humboldt
D3:
1. West Delaware
2. Independence
3. Decorah
4. Waverly - Shell Rock
D4:
1. CR Xavier
2. Solon
3. Maquoketa
4. Dub Wahlert
D5:
1. Dav Assumption
2. Washington
3. Clear Creek - Amana
4. Fairfield
D6: (very tough call)
1. Grinnell
2. Gilbert
3. Bondurant - Farrar
4. Ballard
D7:
1. Pella
2. Norwalk
3. Carlisle
4. Knoxville (Even if Chariton beats K'ville, I think K'ville will beat Osky and win point tie-breaker)
D8:
1. Dallas Center - Grimes
2. Harlan
3. Glenwood
4. Creston

First round match-up:
4 @ 1
Spencer @ SBL (rematch)
Humboldt @ DCG
Knoxville @ Webster City
Wahlert @ Assumption (rematch of non district game)
Ballard @ CR Xavier
Waverly - SR @ West Delaware (rematch)
Creston @ Pella
Fairfield @ Grinnell

3 @ 2
BH/RV @ Heelan (rematch)
Glenwood @ Carroll
Algona @ Gilbert
Decorah @ Solon
CCA @ Independence
Maquoketa @ Washington
Bondurant - Farrar @ Norwalk
Carlisle @ Harlan

Second Round:
Glenwood @ SBL
Heelan @ Webster City
Solon @ West Delaware
Independence @ Assumption
Washington @ Xavier
Harlan @ Pella
Gilbert @ DCG
Norwalk @ Grinnell

I'm sure these will all be different next week........

Never: Over the last ten years, private schools have only won two 3A football state titles - Heelan in 2008 and 2013. I believe Heelan was in championship game three other times during that same time frame. In this day and age of open enrollment, why shouldn't all schools be subject to any proposed mutilplier?

Heelan has been in the title game 6 of the last 8 years and only won twice but up until last year I think they were the only private school in 3A. Before Heelan dropped down in '06, Harlan pretty much ran the show in 3A so I don't see any good reason for a multiplier. You could make an argument for Regina but the state wont do it because of one 1A school. Also 3A has some great teams now with Xavier, Assumption and Wahlert dropping from 4A and Solon moving up in '10 and I think that's what the state wants is more competitive football in 3A while staying within their BEDS because 4A will always have that.

I don't think winning and losing should have anything to do with it. I don't care if a school wins 10 titles in a row. I just don't like seeing a school win 10 titles in a row because we still haven't stepped into the new century and forced the private schools up a class like everybody else does.

As far as the 7 districts with 8 teams and two wild cards...I really hate that haha....that makes room for bias when they are choosing the wild card teams. If you create a multiplier (I think a +50% is what most states do) and even out the classes a bit (8 districts with 8 teams works), I think you'll see the most competitive races for each title. If you look at other states that have good systems, their playoffs are so much fun. Our playoffs (especially in 3A) are usually 75% predictable in every single round.

'Like everybody else does' care to explain that one a little more? You know like how much is everybody else?

This Ballard vs bondurant farrar is basicly for second place in the district this week and it at ballard ballard still face grinnell. Grinnell lost to bondurant farrar and Grinnell still has to face Gilbert now if everything goes the way you saying as of right now here the standing now

for D6

Gilbert 3 0 0 5 1 0 7.00
Bondurant-Farrar 3 1 0 4 2 0 7.75
Ballard 2 1 0 3 3 0 6.67
Grinnell 2 1 0 4 2 0 6.33
Benton Community 2 2 0 3 3 0 -3.25
Nevada 0 3 0 2 4 0 -11.00
Newton 0

this week

Bondurant-Farrar at Ballard
Grinnell at Benton Community
Nevada at Gilbert
Newton at Pella ( (ND))

next week
Ballard at Nevada
Gilbert at Grinnell
Newton at Bondurant-Farrar
Oelwein at Benton Community ( (ND))

last games before playoff
Benton Community at Gilbert
Bondurant-Farrar at Winterset ( (ND))
Grinnell at Ballard
Nevada at Newton

'Like everybody else does' care to explain that one a little more? You know like how much is everybody else?

I love how multiplier advocates just throw out generalizations "everybody else does it" without acknowledging the fact that only FIVE states use multipliers and none have seen a reduction in private school championships in football.

I love how multiplier advocates just throw out generalizations "everybody else does it" without acknowledging the fact that only FIVE states use multipliers and none have seen a reduction in private school championships in football.

Pax it is those pesky facts that get in the way of a well thought out opinion :cool:

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.c...nal-fight-between-public-and-private-schools/

That is from a couple of years ago, but the majority of midwestern states have at least tried to address the issue instead of ignoring the problem. Some use mutlipliers, some bump the private schools up the class and some just have a completely separate tournament for private schools. All of those would be ok with me.

http://www.edchoice.org/school-choice/school-choice-in-america/

There is an interactive map of how states address school choice. I support a kid's decision to pick whatever school he/she wants, but it does effect athletics (which has been noted time and time again). Of course, the recruiting problem isn't the only issue at hand, private schools tend to have a higher percentage of able-bodied students than public schools. Anyone who disagrees that private schools have an unfair advantage is just in complete denial because they don't want the competition (just being frank).

I'm all for adding another class in each sport. It feels weird in football, though, because we already have six classes.

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.c...nal-fight-between-public-and-private-schools/

That is from a couple of years ago, but the majority of midwestern states have at least tried to address the issue instead of ignoring the problem. Some use mutlipliers, some bump the private schools up the class and some just have a completely separate tournament for private schools. All of those would be ok with me.

http://www.edchoice.org/school-choice/school-choice-in-america/

There is an interactive map of how states address school choice. I support a kid's decision to pick whatever school he/she wants, but it does effect athletics (which has been noted time and time again). Of course, the recruiting problem isn't the only issue at hand, private schools tend to have a higher percentage of able-bodied students than public schools. Anyone who disagrees that private schools have an unfair advantage is just in complete denial because they don't want the competition (just being frank).

We are in "complete denial" because we don't agree with you? Iowa doesn't have enough private schools to even make a separate class or tournament even realistic. Here is an unfair advantage for you.. My tax dollars go to the state to fund the public school systems but yet I pay a tuition to send my kid to private schools where they see no tax dollars.. so in short I am paying for your kid to have every (if not more) advantage as my kid that goes to a private school. Maybe the difference is discipline and development of those kids at private schools but why punish them by making them play schools 2, 3 or 4 times their size.

You might want to review the first article that you listed, Minnesota, reverse multiplier based on activity and free lunch %'s, Wisconsin, no multiplier, Illinois, Multiplier applied to all schools that are open boundary, so it would apply to every school in Iowa, Missouri, finally a multiplier, has shown not to alter the % of championships won by private schools(I added that fact based on research), Kansas, no multiplier, Nebraska, multiplier defeated, South Dakota, no multiplier, North Dakota, no multiplier, Michigan, no multiplier, Indiana, no multiplier, success formula, Kentucky, No multiplier.

As far as 'Midwestern States' having separate classes let me see Arkansas-Stretch Midwest, Florida-No, Maryland-No, New Jersey-No, New York-No, North Carolina-No, Texas-Big Stretch, Virginia-No.
So that doesn't really stand up to your 'majority' Have states talked about all of these things? You bet they have, but as it stands you really are a little bit off base and should watch the unfounded generalizations that you are making, some will read them and think they are the truth and then repeat them elsewhere only to be shown how inaccurate they are.

You might want to review the first article that you listed, Minnesota, reverse multiplier based on activity and free lunch %'s, Wisconsin, no multiplier, Illinois, Multiplier applied to all schools that are open boundary, so it would apply to every school in Iowa, Missouri, finally a multiplier, has shown not to alter the % of championships won by private schools(I added that fact based on research), Kansas, no multiplier, Nebraska, multiplier defeated, South Dakota, no multiplier, North Dakota, no multiplier, Michigan, no multiplier, Indiana, no multiplier, success formula, Kentucky, No multiplier.

As far as 'Midwestern States' having separate classes let me see Arkansas-Stretch Midwest, Florida-No, Maryland-No, New Jersey-No, New York-No, North Carolina-No, Texas-Big Stretch, Virginia-No.
So that doesn't really stand up to your 'majority' Have states talked about all of these things? You bet they have, but as it stands you really are a little bit off base and should watch the unfounded generalizations that you are making, some will read them and think they are the truth and then repeat them elsewhere only to be shown how inaccurate they are.

So your argument is that having a multiplier doesn't change the % of championships won by private schools? If you don't think it would change then why are you so scared of it happening? What's your solution? Let me guess, you don't want anything to change, because you want the private schools to continue to win.

We are in "complete denial" because we don't agree with you? Iowa doesn't have enough private schools to even make a separate class or tournament even realistic. Here is an unfair advantage for you.. My tax dollars go to the state to fund the public school systems but yet I pay a tuition to send my kid to private schools where they see no tax dollars.. so in short I am paying for your kid to have every (if not more) advantage as my kid that goes to a private school. Maybe the difference is discipline and development of those kids at private schools but why punish them by making them play schools 2, 3 or 4 times their size.

First of all, I completely agree that it is unfair you have to pay taxes for schools your kids don't go to.

Second of all, you have to be joking me. You think the private school kids are just that much more talented? You think they just happen to be so much better? Athletic participation is like 40% higher in private schools. If you take the number of kids that actually play sports, the private school numbers are way higher than the teams they play against, and that's not even counting the number of athletes that get "convinced" to go to private schools to play. Public schools have more kids who are disabled both mentally and physically and more kids that are too poor to play sports.

The field isn't level. Anyone with unbias eyes can see that. You obviously can't, because you have this idea that your kid and his friends are just naturally so much better than everybody else. Make a list of private schools (you can just do 3A if you want) and then tell me what their record and point differential has been the last few years.

First of all, I completely agree that it is unfair you have to pay taxes for schools your kids don't go to.

Second of all, you have to be joking me. You think the private school kids are just that much more talented? You think they just happen to be so much better? Athletic participation is like 40% higher in private schools. If you take the number of kids that actually play sports, the private school numbers are way higher than the teams they play against, and that's not even counting the number of athletes that get "convinced" to go to private schools to play. Public schools have more kids who are disabled both mentally and physically and more kids that are too poor to play sports.

The field isn't level. Anyone with unbias eyes can see that. You obviously can't, because you have this idea that your kid and his friends are just naturally so much better than everybody else. Make a list of private schools (you can just do 3A if you want) and then tell me what their record and point differential has been the last few years.

I'm not sure that 40% is very accurate.. explain to me why some private schools don't have sophomore teams anymore and why those schools have sophomores that start on varsity? Numbers at private schools are dropping and have been for some time with maybe the exception of Dowling.. I assume those kids are at public schools now.
You know public schools have open enrollment right? You dont think public schools use that to "convince" kids to travel across town to attend their school to play sports?
I feel like you're just reaching with that disabled and poor kids comment.
I will let you make that list and then make one for public schools and Im sure you will see its very similar.

So your argument is that having a multiplier doesn't change the % of championships won by private schools? If you don't think it would change then why are you so scared of it happening? What's your solution? Let me guess, you don't want anything to change, because you want the private schools to continue to win.
Columbus Catholic

I am not arguing either side. I am pointing out the facts of the situation. You should do your homework before you make statements that are factually wrong. Something needs to be looked at if for no other reason than it limits the excuse factor. I had a coach of a perennial top 5 program tell me they have taken the next step by moving their lifting to the morning 3 days of the week and a fan tell me that work ethic isn't the difference. I bit my tongue and chose not to tell them that 5 days of the week is the expectation. Private schools do have advantages, never denied it. Are you willing to look at the disadvantages they face? A lot goes into the process. So do some research, come up with some solutions and stop presenting your biased opinion as true.

I realize this is completely off topic, and imma just gonna leave this here, but I can't disagree more.

There are things in our society that are a common good, a benefit for the community as a whole, that all members of the community should be able to support financially. You know, roads, public safety, obvious things like that, but I include public education in that list. Folks who send their kids to private school or older people whose kids are grown like to complain about their tax dollars going to public schools, but you know what? We all have to live with the graduates of those public schools. They will be the workers, the service people, and yes, the nurses and doctors and caregivers for us as we grow old. It's an obvious benefit to all of us to have a strong public school system, and it's a societal responsibility to support that - whether or not your own children are currently attending a public school.

Full disclosure: both my kids went to private school, as a personal choice of our family. I never once begrudged my share of tax dollars going to the local public district, and I voted more than once in support of public school bond issues or local option taxes. It's how we survive as a community.

One of the most disturbing things about current political/public finance discussion is this idea that your tax dollars are supposed to benefit each taxpayer individually - if you're not getting something directly in your bank account or you can't show an increase on your ledger, somehow these taxes aren't legitimate. But I believe there's an overall benefit to the community and society at large from certain tax expenditures, whether or not they directly benefit you as an individual. There's a greater overall good to be realized, not a one-for-one payback for each tax dollar. We shouldn't forget that.

Sorry. Off my soapbox.

Reactions: Pinehawk and FLBP
I realize this is completely off topic, and imma just gonna leave this here, but I can't disagree more.

There are things in our society that are a common good, a benefit for the community as a whole, that all members of the community should be able to support financially. You know, roads, public safety, obvious things like that, but I include public education in that list. Folks who send their kids to private school or older people whose kids are grown like to complain about their tax dollars going to public schools, but you know what? We all have to live with the graduates of those public schools. They will be the workers, the service people, and yes, the nurses and doctors and caregivers for us as we grow old. It's an obvious benefit to all of us to have a strong public school system, and it's a societal responsibility to support that - whether or not your own children are currently attending a public school.

Full disclosure: both my kids went to private school, as a personal choice of our family. I never once begrudged my share of tax dollars going to the local public district, and I voted more than once in support of public school bond issues or local option taxes. It's how we survive as a community.

One of the most disturbing things about current political/public finance discussion is this idea that your tax dollars are supposed to benefit each taxpayer individually - if you're not getting something directly in your bank account or you can't show an increase on your ledger, somehow these taxes aren't legitimate. But I believe there's an overall benefit to the community and society at large from certain tax expenditures, whether or not they directly benefit you as an individual. There's a greater overall good to be realized, not a one-for-one payback for each tax dollar. We shouldn't forget that.

Sorry. Off my soapbox.

Besides the point. I was just saying I agree with him because he started to make it a political issue instead of a fairness issue.

But since someone asked for how the private schools are doing. I'll start with this year. Someone correct me if I miss a couple. I'll post their district records and point differential in district.

Xavier: 4-0 +90
Assumption: 3-0 +147
Heelan: 3-1 +65
Wahlert: 2-1 +5

If that's all of them in 3A (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that makes the private schools 12-2 so far this season with a combined point differential of +307. But obviously, those kids just happen to be way more talented and it has nothing to do with private school advantages. It's probably just this year and only in Iowa and this isn't a common occurrence. o_O

Anyway, as I said to start this argument, it will be fun when they finally put in the multiplier (or bump them up or whatever) and even out the classes. The current system makes it fun because people can make these guesses, but I think more people are just annoyed that there are no brackets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT