ADVERTISEMENT

Success of Private Schools

Originally posted by Pinehawk:
I don't think there should be a multiplier.
And, I see people saying Regina's numbers are down, but when I went there (and we were terrible at football) classes were about 45 kids. Now they are around 70 kids. Which is going to be about where they stay. They only have space for three elementary classrooms per grade.
I should have addressed this nugget. So we are talking about big advances in the grade school? So they are recruiting grade school kids to prep for high school sport dominance? I highly doubt it. So why are so many parents of elementary kids choosing Regina?

As I have always said, if you want to be successful, adopt the habits of successful people. It takes effort. Maybe if all publics were just as excellent, we would not even be talking about threats of multipliers or forcing schools to play up a class so they will lose more and give others a chance at trophies.

That is the 'new' American way I guess. Maybe not a better one though.

You are absolutely correct about the increase in size at BND. It is occurring in the elementary schools as well. A few kids transfer at the high school age, but most are coming in at younger ages. Only a very small number are participating in athletics.

You should have added "in my area." to close your last sentence. That is definitely NOT the situation for public schools state-wide.

Edit: this was in response to regaldad. I thought I had it quoted.

This post was edited on 3/30 11:09 AM by wolverine55

Regaldad, I gave a compliment to Xavier and now I am envious of them? I said I had a job that dealt with schools, all schools, private and public. My spouse was a teacher in the Xavier school district and we have attended many fundraisers, etc, still have and always will have friends and family who attend and work there. Again, I feel everything evens out more as the higher classes you get. If you are a public school district in places like Cedar Rapids, Iowa City. Des Moines, etc you can raise a lot of dough by the stroke of a pen. The further you get from the cities, the harder most school districts have it. To me, it sounds like you are envious of the Iowa City School District. I would just like to know from all the Regina supporters why having a multiplier would be such travesty and injustice? Is there any Regal out there that would prefer to play up a class against better competition for the challenge? Just an honest question. Would you rather compete for a 2A title or a 1A? Gotta be someone out there who would like their kids to get pushed a little more, have starters play 4 qtrs. in most games.
This post was edited on 3/30 11:45 AM by rkhemp

Originally posted by NoJustice:

Woodsiding said it well. It isn't 'private vs. public'. It's the 'have's vs. the have not's'.
Resources, demographics, parental involvement, money, etc.
Which is why private vs. public misses the mark and a multiplier doesn't really address the real issues at play.

Schools like Solon have many of the same advantages that private schools do, just without the tuition. It's a nice, newer school in a beautiful part of the state, established athletic success, incredible facilities (new turf field), minutes from Iowa City, etc.
Solon should be on a multiplier or move up then right? If not why not? A logic behind this multiplier dynamic is about what then? Facilities? New schools? Being located near big cities? Why only privates get a multiplier penalty then? What specifically is your reason why privates deserve it and Solon or other public schools like Solon do not? Having trouble distinguishing the 'why' in your post. Can you clear that up and help me understand?

Again, things level the most the higher the class you go IMO. Solon grew and became 3A. There is a larger step from 2A to 3A than it is from 1A to 2A. Solon has done just fine at 3A. But sure, let's go ahead and add a multiplier to Solon. Regina would be 2A with a 1.12 multiplier. Solon would be 4A with a 2.03 multiplier. That's a pretty big difference.

Woodsiding said it well. It isn't 'private vs. public'. It's the 'have's vs. the have not's'.
Resources, demographics, parental involvement, money, etc.
Which is why private vs. public misses the mark and a multiplier doesn't really address the real issues at play.

Schools like Solon have many of the same advantages that private schools do, just without the tuition. It's a nice, newer school in a beautiful part of the state, established athletic success, incredible facilities (new turf field), minutes from Iowa City, etc.
Solon should be on a multiplier or move up then right? If not why not? A logic behind this multiplier dynamic is about what then? Facilities? New schools? Being located near big cities? Why only privates get a multiplier penalty then? What specifically is your reason why privates deserve it and Solon or other public schools like Solon do not? Having trouble distinguishing the 'why' in your post. Can you clear that up and help me understand?
I don't think there should be a multiplier.
And, I see people saying Regina's numbers are down, but when I went there (and we were terrible at football) classes were about 45 kids. Now they are around 70 kids. Which is going to be about where they stay. They only have space for three elementary classrooms per grade.

If Regina had 70 kids per class they would be 2A. So if they do have 70, they are not including about 10 kids per class in their BEDS. Iowa City area has grown since you went to school and it isn't hard to believe that they have 10-15 more kids in a class compared to the growth of West and CCA.

BLookrlington N D and Waterloo Columbus didn't have such great years, are they lumped in to this multiplier. Only private schools that have winning records are the real problem here.Solon and West Branch are real good every year ,lets throw them in your equation.As for strength of schedule Regina plays Solon and Xavier the next 2 years.How about those large 4a Linn County schols wimping out to play Xavier.Just simply not enough resources for them to compete with that private school.No excuse dodging the opportunity to play a program like that . Looking forward to your reply.

I'm definitely in the camp that wonders, since private schools have ALWAYS held the advantages everyone's touting these days, why private schools have suddenly started having more success. These advantages didn't bother anyone when private schools were only winning a handful of titles, which came mostly from Dowling, Heelan and CR Regis/LaSalle (Xavier). But now that schools like CBSA, IC Regina, Newman, Don Bosco, etc. are getting in on the action, people are throwing a bitch fit.

I went to public school, and I'm sure that when I have kids, they'll go to public school, too. I used to hate private schools, but I don't have a problem with them anymore. They aren't cheating (certainly no more than public schools do, IMO). I firmly believe that people will only be satisfied when all private schools suck at all sports. Nut up and work to get better than they are, instead of whining about recruiting, class/wealth, etc.

Originally posted by tm3308:
I'm definitely in the camp that wonders, since private schools have ALWAYS held the advantages everyone's touting these days, why private schools have suddenly started having more success. These advantages didn't bother anyone when private schools were only winning a handful of titles, which came mostly from Dowling, Heelan and CR Regis/LaSalle (Xavier). But now that schools like CBSA, IC Regina, Newman, Don Bosco, etc. are getting in on the action, people are throwing a bitch fit.
Interesting take.

Originally posted by rkhemp:

Again, things level the most the higher the class you go IMO. Solon grew and became 3A. There is a larger step from 2A to 3A than it is from 1A to 2A. Solon has done just fine at 3A. But sure, let's go ahead and add a multiplier to Solon. Regina would be 2A with a 1.12 multiplier. Solon would be 4A with a 2.03 multiplier. That's a pretty big difference.
It was a tongue in cheek comment I made due to what was said about superior facilities for private schools being behind the success. The post I was first referencing went on to mention the success of Solon due to their excellent facilities as well. Not a private.

The logical extension of that post was then why penalize private schools with multipliers only or making them playing up only? Maybe we should decide it based in best facilities? Of course not the way to do things, but it was rhetorically asked to highlight the contradiction and highlight the need for a better reason than just superior facilities to use when deciding these things. That is not a private only characteristic.

also why the mention of small class Earlham, MsM, and Van Meter. If it is all about great facilities and location near a big metro area, where is their dominance?

No answers there. Only a resinating need to dig deeper for the reasons behind private success as of late. It is not just superior facilities. It is not having both superior facilities and location relative to a large metro due to examples given. What is it?

There are reasons states have multipliers and some have private classes. For your Xavier vs Cedar Rapids comment, well that can definitely go both ways since Xavier had the opportunity to play a 4A schedule. And the AD or coaches at Regina are not the ones who scheduled Xavier, the state did. The state could have easily scheduled Kennedy or someone else. During week 8, Regina is going to get the opportunity to play the private school from Cedar Rapids and it is going to get ugly if the Saints want it to.

This post was edited on 3/30 7:08 PM by rkhemp

Regina and Xavier put each other on non district to play,this act done by both ADs.Of course Xavier should easily be the favorite in this game.When or if Xavier ever has a losing season then the mighty 4a teams will stand in line to play them.Until then hats off toRegina and Assumption for stepping up.

Originally posted by regaldad:
BLookrlington N D and Waterloo Columbus didn't have such great years, are they lumped in to this multiplier. Only private schools that have winning records are the real problem here.Solon and West Branch are real good every year ,lets throw them in your equation.As for strength of schedule Regina plays Solon and Xavier the next 2 years.How about those large 4a Linn County schols wimping out to play Xavier.Just simply not enough resources for them to compete with that private school.No excuse dodging the opportunity to play a program like that . Looking forward to your reply.
Regaldad, Xavier opted out of 4A football - who are the wimps\dodgers? (Xavier, Assumption, Wahlert, Heelan) all were very competitive in 4A but had a hard time bringing home the gold - that will probably change now that they are in 3A - just look at Heelan as an example.

NJ, my take on why the success if the private schools say for the past 10 years, I don't equate it to "better parents" and "better curricula". If that were the case why would the head coaches of the most prolific sports at the U send their kids to public schools? You would think if what you have been saying were factual from a curricula standpoint that these folks and others like (you know the ones with huge salaries) wouldn't even blink about sending their kids to private institutions. I believe those three have sent their kids to ICH, ICW and Solon. Are you saying that these folks don't meet your criteria of "hard working" parents?

I look at it as more a cyclical thing, much like Solon had with Morris and Co with athletics (although if you look at Solon's history they have always been pretty salty in athletics - football especially). Academically, I believe it is nearly a wash. I have had several of my classmates (from public) that are very well off now (talking multi-millionaires).

Colorado implemented a multiplier a few years back and it bumped nearly all privates up 1 class. Yes, some of them kept winning the championships at the highest level, while others saw much more competitive games compared to when they were playing down a class.

I guess kudos to Regina for putting probably 8 teams down and "selecting" to play Xavier week 8. There are 2 possibilities why the game was scheduled. A. The state made it happen on their own and your statement is foolish. B. The private schools have far more input and power than the public schools when it comes to their schedule. So kudos to Alburnett for scheduling Regina the last 2 years I guess.

Vroom, bump any school up classes they will not be as successful. The question is, is that right? Why do you think it is right?

I guess kudos to Regina for putting probably 8 teams down and "selecting" to play Xavier week 8. There are 2 possibilities why the game was scheduled. A. The state made it happen on their own and your statement is foolish. B. The private schools have far more input and power than the public schools when it comes to their schedule. So kudos to Alburnett for scheduling Regina the last 2 years I guess.
It is safe to say the state will not schedule a 1A against a recent and successful 4A opponent -- unless-- that 1A opponent had listed that school on the list the state asks of the schools to turn in for their preferred non-district games.

It was a tongue in cheek comment I made due to what was said about superior facilities for private schools being behind the success. The post I was first referencing went on to mention the success of Solon due to their excellent facilities as well. Not a private.

The logical extension of that post was then why penalize private schools with multipliers only or making them playing up only? Maybe we should decide it based in best facilities? Of course not the way to do things, but it was rhetorically asked to highlight the contradiction and highlight the need for a better reason than just superior facilities to use when deciding these things. That is not a private only characteristic.

also why the mention of small class Earlham, MsM, and Van Meter. If it is all about great facilities and location near a big metro area, where is their dominance?

No answers there. Only a resinating need to dig deeper for the reasons behind private success as of late. It is not just superior facilities. It is not having both superior facilities and location relative to a large metro due to examples given. What is it?

Of the 3 schools you mentioned, Van Meter is the closest to Des Moines. Van Meter had a damn good football team last year and only lost one game, to a private school. They really had only one other close game, to a private school. If I worked in Des Moines and wanted my kids to have a small school experience, I probably wouldn't drive through Van Meter to get to Earlham. It's almost like you are using examples that don't support your argument at all.

Again, during the last 10 years private schools have enjoyed a much higher success than public schools by far. Congratulations to them. You can try to collect all the data you want, but the best data is the scores on the scoreboard and the records. I believe you apply a multiplier to the private schools and allow the ones who are not successful to apply for a waiver. If a school gets bumped up a class and doesn't beat everyone by 35 points at half-time, then they can apply for a waiver after 2 years. That is my solution to having better games on Friday nights. Seems like the private school supporters think that would be an outrage. The main solution coming from your end seems to be guys like me just whine and bitch because we don't like to see private schools have success and if schools like Clayton Ridge and Maq Valley want to compete with Regina they need new parents and to spend more time in the weight room. That pretty much sums it up.

I just wonder if there is one member of the Regina or Heelan community etc out there that think we have had some great title runs at these lower levels. Maybe a multiplier would be a good thing. We could show everyone what we are made of and by playing one class up we would probably have higher gates and sale more hot dogs. Does that person exist?

This post was edited on 3/30 9:51 PM by rkhemp

This post was edited on 3/30 9:53 PM by rkhemp

Perhaps I should have clarified, but when I had 45 kids in my class at Regina, it was ~20 years ago. So, adding 25 kids per class over a couple decades doesn't seem like a big jump to me.
That's just Iowa City growth and why they now need to build a third public high school.

Okay since you posted your latest diatribe, I have completely flipped to your side.My cruel heart now sees the error of my thinking.Give to those who complain the most what they desire.Your great insight to the uneven playing field that exist is too much to ignore.Lets call the boys in Boone and get this travesty corrected.Can I listen in on your little phone call.

Thanks for adding so much to the debate. You sound real classy and demonstrate the greatness we have heard about regarding Regina parents. Thanks for having an open mind, listening to opinions that differ from yours, and actually changing your mind.

Feel free to correct me if needed, but it seems the people who complain the most (percentage wise, but posts on this very site) are those pro - private complaining about how people want them to have asterisks or move classes.

Reading through the 2+ pages of this post makes me wonder:

Why would private school kids even want to play vs. these savages from the public schools? Maybe they should make there own union and play for their own state title. It seems inconvenient for the 'well - to - do' kids to have to play on the same court as these lowlifes at public schools.

Originally posted by StayLow6:
Feel free to correct me if needed, but it seems the people who complain the most (percentage wise, but posts on this very site) are those pro - private complaining about how people want them to have asterisks or move classes.

Why would private school kids even want to play vs. these savages from the public schools? Maybe they should make there own union and play for their own state title. It seems inconvenient for the 'well - to - do' kids to have to play on the same court as these lowlifes at public schools.
Thanks for adding so much to the debate. You sound real classy and demonstrate the greatness we have heard about regarding public school parents.

The two factors that have contributed to the increase in private school success over the past 10 years are: Positive Parent Involvement and Higher Percentage of Participation.

Positive Parent Involvement: This one has been hit on before by other posters. Parents who are more involved in the lives of their children tend to have a positive impact on their success. This is easy to see in all activities offered by any school system. Athletically, parents that are willing and have the ability to spend money to send son/daughter to camps, clinics and club teams are increasing the likelihood of success. The same holds true for football workouts, basketball/volleyball open gyms, etc Something else to consider. Twenty years ago, sports were not as specialized. You were way more likely to see a pick up game (baseball, basketball, football). Now a days, it appears like everything is Club, AAU, etc...

Note: There are plenty of examples of public schools having great parents and programs. My point is that recent private school success in multiple sports suggests that parents at those schools are having more of a positive impact than compared to public schools.

High Percentage of Participation: This was already mentioned in the Cedar Rapids Discussion. Public schools tend to have a high number of students enrolled in school that do not participate in very many extra curricular activities. The math is simple here...the more students you have out for a sport, the better chances of having talented players. More talented players equals more success.

Vroom, bump any school up classes they will not be as successful. The question is, is that right? Why do you think it is right?
Wow NJ - try reading my posts to answer your questions... I did state I believe it was cyclical... much like Solon's success when Morris\Loveless\Morrison classes came through.

As well bumping schools up a class does NOT equate to less success (Solon was bumped up and is doing just fine, no not winning championships yearly but still very competitive). If Regina were to go to 2A they would be just fine, if Xavier, Assumption, Heelan were bumped back to 4A they would be just fine.

I will play your little game here - Why do you think it is wrong? The question could easily be, is that wrong?

You forgot to answer whether you feel those 3 prolific coaches are inadequate parents as they send their kids to public schools. What is your response to that (since you stated "By and large the private schools and teams are made up of kids of parents who understand how the public education system is an anchor that keeps their children from having the best opportunity to succeed. Parents who 'get it' raise better kids. Sorry but true. I know not very PC. Truth though.")

Are you saying that those 3 are just parents that "don't get it"? Are you stating that the Dr's and prominent business owners I know that send their kids to public schools "dont' get it"?

What does High Percentage of Participation have to do with public vs private? It is the schools (everyone involved in the athletic/activity department) job to get the kids to participate. Find ways to promote the program(s). To me it has nothing to do with public vs private.

I am not talking about the Special Education population. I understand that aspect

Originally posted by regaldad:
Please give examples of this assumption. In my area the publics are like museums both large and small schools.Unlimited resources, 6 figure salaries, multi million dollar additions.Times are real good for public schools.I would argue that it has never been better.The money train just keeps on rolling.I choose private for my kids, no regrets.Please donot complain about funding it has never so good.
regaldad,
The bolded part is obviously a funny bit of hyperbole, but not going to disagree that public education is funded better and has better resources. The discussion is about the financial resources and wherewith-all of the population a school serves. I'll say it again, this is not a private vs. public thing.

I would love to have an open mind like yours,but first I need to practice my complaining skills.As for the greatness of Regina parents those people eat fish on Fridays and have the audacity to fund their schools separate from the public sector.

Exactly. That's why I have no problem with Catholics success. If a multiplier were ever used, it would have to treat Solon no different than Xavier. Similar size and population. (And I'm not saying they need to change anything, just discussing why it is the way it is.)

Think about City High to illustrate this point. City High still has the same great coaching staff nucleus it's had for decades, field turf to practice on, beautiful campus and stadium, tradition. etc. What's changing is the demographics of the south side of Iowa City. The last few years they've had 30 kids on their varsity roster. Coach Sabers and his staff are doing a heck of job, and can obviously coach, those 30 kids went 7-2 in the MVC! But they are an early out now and no longer contending for a title or playing deep in the playoffs.

Don't sale yourself short on your complaining abilities. You're doing a great job kiddo

rkemp,

Was really expecting a more detailed response. Since you only want to mention Van Meter, likely due to them being the only successful school to fit the model, I do not think a single season with one loss is quite on par with the success of privates that has drawn the ire of folks to the point of penalizing them. The complaint against privates are due to the number of and frequency of titles and/or title game and/or semi appearances. Not a one loss season now and again like Van Meter.

They weren't my argument. They were examples of public schools that fit the argument of others but not the results claimed happen due to size, facilities, and location. I will play though even if you want to use Van Meter only. So then why isn't Van Meter more successful since they fit the "smaller school with great facilities that has smaller class sizes and near a large metro area."

another comes to mind. Possibly Treynor. Near CB. Nobody drives through VM to get there.

I know this may not necessarily be your soap box, so anyone who it is, feel free to chime in.

Originally posted by StayLow6:

That really served no productive purpose. I think there are relevant points being made and legitimate questions posed. I can be swayed with logical points and relevant data.

The change is to penalize private schools. The reason is due to their success. Regardless of my opinions, I have not read anything to justify it outside of them being too successful. I am very open to being convinced it is proper. Just have not read anything to do it yet.

Originally posted by Blacksoxs:
The two factors that have contributed to the increase in private school success over the past 10 years are: Positive Parent Involvement and Higher Percentage of Participation.

Positive Parent Involvement: This one has been hit on before by other posters. Parents who are more involved in the lives of their children tend to have a positive impact on their success. This is easy to see in all activities offered by any school system. Athletically, parents that are willing and have the ability to spend money to send son/daughter to camps, clinics and club teams are increasing the likelihood of success. The same holds true for football workouts, basketball/volleyball open gyms, etc Something else to consider. Twenty years ago, sports were not as specialized. You were way more likely to see a pick up game (baseball, basketball, football). Now a days, it appears like everything is Club, AAU, etc...

Note: There are plenty of examples of public schools having great parents and programs. My point is that recent private school success in multiple sports suggests that parents at those schools are having more of a positive impact than compared to public schools.

High Percentage of Participation: This was already mentioned in the Cedar Rapids Discussion. Public schools tend to have a high number of students enrolled in school that do not participate in very many extra curricular activities. The math is simple here...the more students you have out for a sport, the better chances of having talented players. More talented players equals more success.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well said. A better written explanation of my opinion as well.

And this is where I ask, is that a reason to introduce multipliers? I do not think so. And if there is actually another valid reason to introduce a multiplier, please articulate it.

Vroom,

You have never stated why it is right to force private schools to be affected by a multiplier or playing up. Did not above either. You have only stated I am wrong. No reasons as to why.

If cyclical, then why would a multiplier make sense? It is just cyclical then let the cycles play their course right? It is not then about private schools doing something that creates some advantage. It is just cyclical. Again. If that is the case there is no logical connection to why a multiplier should be used.

With regard to parental involvement at those 3 schools. It may be the case the concentration of involved parents is not as high.

More than happy to address your question head on. Still waiting for you to do the same.

NoJustice, there are so many public schools that any argument I would try to make you could find exceptions to the rule. And you can find private schools that don't fit examples I give you. I just skimmed through the classes and I am sure I missed 1 or 2 but out of the 46 4A schools, 1 is private. Out of 56 3A schools I found 5. Out of 56 2A schools I found 4. Out of 56 1A, I found 5. As I said, I am sure I missed a couple but it wouldn't change my point. If all the schools were even, the results of the last 10 years would mind boggle a statician. Let's say Regina was the only dominate private school in the state that would make a lot of sense. Great coaching staff, great connections to the U of I. But it spreads far wider than that. Let's take a look at 3A for example. Xavier, Assumption, and Heelan are legit contenders. That's 80%. You sure wouldn't be able to say 80% of the public schools are favorites. But sure, going through the other 50 schools you will find your football schools like Solon, Decorah, Harlan etc. but it is at a much lower percentage. If I gave you a pool of random schools of 5 or 6 would you take a bet against a pool of random 50 schools. No. But if I were to give you 5 private schools vs the field, I would take the 5 any day of the week. You call it a penalty, I will call it a multiplier. A better formula used to calculate classes rather than being just based on number of students.

All schools are not equal. Both public and private. And, they never will be.
Certain schools will always be more successful. And, I don't even think you could find a way to penalize those schools back to mediocrity like you and some others would like.

Sorry, but that is not what I would like or what the coaches who brought this topic up in the coaches meetings would like. You really think Regina would be mediocre in 2A? You don't think they could win a 2A title? You think we want them to go up to see them go 5-4? You think Xavier was mediocre at 4A? Again, I know for fact there are members of the Xavier community who would rather play for titles at 4A than dominate 3A. Again, is there anyone out there from Regina, anyone, who would prefer to chase the gold at 2A rather than 1A? Or are you really scared that being bumped up would drop you off the face of the map?

Vroom,

You have never stated why it is right to force private schools to be affected by a multiplier or playing up. Did not above either. You have only stated I am wrong. No reasons as to why.

If cyclical, then why would a multiplier make sense? It is just cyclical then let the cycles play their course right? It is not then about private schools doing something that creates some advantage. It is just cyclical. Again. If that is the case there is no logical connection to why a multiplier should be used.

With regard to parental involvement at those 3 schools. It may be the case the concentration of involved parents is not as high.

More than happy to address your question head on. Still waiting for you to do the same.
Well I am struggling to with the following:

1. Where I said you were wrong... I stated my opinion differed from yours, not wrong just different.
2. Where did I state to use a multiplier? I stated that I know of places that have and it didn't impact the outcome all that much. It made for more competitive games though for the private schools playing up.

I agree with what some states have done - if you win back-to-back championships, you are automatically bumped up a class (if there is a higher class). IMHO that would calm the debate immensely!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT