ADVERTISEMENT

Success of Private Schools

It's difficult to list Assumption as a perennial power when the conference itself is relatively weak. As there isn't any crossover outside of the conference the MAC often finds out pretty quickly that their mid-level teams are not the same as the mid-level teams in the MVC. The exception of course is Bettendorf and recently Pleasant Valley. Year in and out though they will have at least 3-4 automatic wins. They may have another 1-2 where they're still playing their varsity in the second half and then 2-3 games where is a real competitive game. Making the playoffs in 4A is an automatic if you get 4-5 wins so 9 years out of 11 is really that relevant. Half of the MAC teams may not be the league champion in a 3A division.

Originally posted by ORSKY1:

It's difficult to list Assumption as a perennial power when the conference itself is relatively weak. As there isn't any crossover outside of the conference the MAC often finds out pretty quickly that their mid-level teams are not the same as the mid-level teams in the MVC. The exception of course is Bettendorf and recently Pleasant Valley. Year in and out though they will have at least 3-4 automatic wins. They may have another 1-2 where they're still playing their varsity in the second half and then 2-3 games where is a real competitive game. Making the playoffs in 4A is an automatic if you get 4-5 wins so 9 years out of 11 is really that relevant. Half of the MAC teams may not be the league champion in a 3A division.
This. Three teams (Bettendorf, Pleasant Valley and Assumption) finished last season with 9 or more wins. Nobody else in the MAC had more than 5. It was a weak conference in the weaker half of the state (the MVC wasn't that great, either; I think there were at least 4-5 teams in the CIML that would have beaten Xavier in the finals).

Originally posted by tm3308:

This. Three teams (Bettendorf, Pleasant Valley and Assumption) finished last season with 9 or more wins. Nobody else in the MAC had more than 5. It was a weak conference in the weaker half of the state (the MVC wasn't that great, either; I think there were at least 4-5 teams in the CIML that would have beaten Xavier in the finals).
Four teams out of fourteen (ICW, City High, Xavier and Kennedy) finished last season with more than 8 wins. Nobody else in the MVC had more than 6 wins.

So if Xavier, Assumption and Wahlert are now suddenly "playing to their enrollment" - what were they playing at before? Their enrollments haven't had drastic swings in the past 5 years.

Originally posted by Vroom_C14:

1.)Four teams out of fourteen (ICW, City High, Xavier and Kennedy) finished last season with more than 8 wins. Nobody else in the MVC had more than 6 wins.

2.)So if Xavier, Assumption and Wahlert are now suddenly "playing to their enrollment" - what were they playing at before? Their enrollments haven't had drastic swings in the past 5 years.
1.) I specifically said the MVC wasn't that good, either. I would have taken Dowling, Valley, Waukee, Ames and maybe even Urbandale over Xavier.

2.) Really not sure what point you're trying to make here. I'm not sure about Xavier, but Assumption and Wahlert haven't had 4A-sized enrollment in a long time. They elected to play up in order to stay in the MAC and maintain their rivalries. But they've been far smaller than what the guidelines call for from a 4A school. They didn't need their enrollment to plummet to qualify for 3A; they've been 3A-sized schools for some time (hell, Assumption was 2A in some sports just a few years ago).

This post was edited on 4/15 4:21 PM by tm3308

The Wisconsin High School Athletic Association was set to vote on a multiplier yesterday.
But, they chose to table it for a year while they studied the issue, saying it was more complicated than just a 'public vs. private' issue.

Some highlights from the article:

"I'm really glad in the direction the group decided to go," said WLA athletic director Greg Hoffman, who attended the meeting. "Going up there today I really felt like this is what they would do since it's such a complicated issue. It's not just public vs. private. It's also rural vs. urban. I was thrilled that it got sent to committee."

Of the WIAA's 505 member schools, 443 were in attendance Wednesday to discuss and vote on the multiplier. That's a staggering number for an annual meeting that usually averages between 320 and 360 schools.
Yet, there wasn't much disagreement when it came time for administrators to walk up to the microphone to take a side.
Nobody who spoke thought the 1.65 model was the best way to go ? the WIAA found Illinois had problems when it went to that system ? but many felt it could be the start to a solution that might be agreeable to the majority of member schools.

"It seems to be applying a couple different sets of rules within the same organization, and that's not a good thing," Hoffman said. "You can't say all private schools are the same and all public are the same.

Wisconsin tables multiplier vote

1.)Four teams out of fourteen (ICW, City High, Xavier and Kennedy) finished last season with more than 8 wins. Nobody else in the MVC had more than 6 wins.

2.)So if Xavier, Assumption and Wahlert are now suddenly "playing to their enrollment" - what were they playing at before? Their enrollments haven't had drastic swings in the past 5 years.
1.) I specifically said the MVC wasn't that good, either. I would have taken Dowling, Valley, Waukee, Ames and maybe even Urbandale over Xavier.

2.) Really not sure what point you're trying to make here. I'm not sure about Xavier, but Assumption and Wahlert haven't had 4A-sized enrollment in a long time. They elected to play up in order to stay in the MAC and maintain their rivalries. But they've been far smaller than what the guidelines call for from a 4A school. They didn't need their enrollment to plummet to qualify for 3A; they've been 3A-sized schools for some time (hell, Assumption was 2A in some sports just a few years ago).

You can pick any conference or district and not more than 2-3 schools have more than 9 wins on the norm. I don't see Ames or Urbandale beating Xavier last year, but that is neither here nor there.

None of the three schools have had 4A enrollment (they have always opted to play up where they thought the competition was). The point is - why all of a sudden do they feel they need "play to their enrollment" as the Xavier coach stated in the paper? Are their rivalries no longer relevant?

You can pick any conference or district and not more than 2-3 schools have more than 9 wins on the norm. I don't see Ames or Urbandale beating Xavier last year, but that is neither here nor there.

None of the three schools have had 4A enrollment (they have always opted to play up where they thought the competition was). The point is - why all of a sudden do they feel they need "play to their enrollment" as the Xavier coach stated in the paper? Are their rivalries no longer relevant?
What difference does it make? Are they somehow wrong for dropping down, despite being competitive in 4A, when their enrollment says 3A is where they should be? Will they be more successful in 3A? Probably, but we'll have to wait and see. But as far as I'm concerned, it's up to the public schools in 3A to work harder and beat them. They shouldn't be demanding that Xavier go back to playing with the handicap of being a much smaller school than the majority of their competition.

What difference does it make? Are they somehow wrong for dropping down, despite being competitive in 4A, when their enrollment says 3A is where they should be? Will they be more successful in 3A? Probably, but we'll have to wait and see. But as far as I'm concerned, it's up to the public schools in 3A to work harder and beat them. They shouldn't be demanding that Xavier go back to playing with the handicap of being a much smaller school than the majority of their competition.
No they are not wrong for dropping down, they are wrong for being pissy about no metro schools wanting to play them. I wouldn't be surprised if the conference doesn't boot them in the next couple of years from all activities - you know, go play at your enrollment level.

So you are calling Xaviers complete and utter CHOICE to play up, a handicap?

No they are not wrong for dropping down, they are wrong for being pissy about no metro schools wanting to play them. I wouldn't be surprised if the conference doesn't boot them in the next couple of years from all activities - you know, go play at your enrollment level.

So you are calling Xaviers complete and utter CHOICE to play up, a handicap?
Absolutely. I could a complete and utter CHOICE to play baseball using only one arm, even though both work perfectly fine. That would be a choice, but it would most definitely make it harder to perform. Just because Xavier's one-armed act is pretty good doesn't mean they wouldn't accomplish more by untying the arm from behind their back.

I wouldn't be surprised if the conference doesn't boot them in the next couple of years from all activities - you know, go play at your enrollment level.

Ha ha, no. Why would they? Outside of soccer, Xavier sports teams aren't generally a threat to dominate any MVC titles. Plus, other sports are different than football - when tourney time comes, every team in the state gets to start fresh and play in their own class. Xavier boys' basketball winning some games in the 3A tournament has absolutely zero effect on any of the 4A MVC basketball teams.

Xavier's enrollment is dropping, by the way, and is projected to continue to drop. They have no foreseeable prospects of getting any closer to that 700 BEDS number than they were two or three years ago. Were they successful as a 4A football program since 2006? Undeniably. Is that success a sure thing to continue? Well, they were 5-4 as recently as 2010 and lost their first round playoff game, so no. Were they interested in continuing in 4A in a district setting without the MVC framework? Clearly not.

If the MVC could have remained intact, Xavier would have stayed 4A. Who knows whether Wahlert and Xavier had any discussions prior to Wahlert's decision to drop out, but it really doesn't matter. With the MAC giving up and going to districts, there was next to zero chance the state wouldn't have forced some firm of district play on the MVC anyway - it wouldn't have worked otherwise. And Xavier had no interest in playing up a class in a district setup.

I do agree they have been rather whiny about the metro schools not playing them. They had to have seen that coming. But that doesn't mean they made the wrong choice. I think they will do well in 3A, at least the next couple of years, but there aren't any "guaranteed" dome trips. They have to replace 19 starters this year plus their kicker/punter and returners, for one thing.

Absolutely. I could a complete and utter CHOICE to play baseball using only one arm, even though both work perfectly fine. That would be a choice, but it would most definitely make it harder to perform. Just because Xavier's one-armed act is pretty good doesn't mean they wouldn't accomplish more by untying the arm from behind their back.
I disagree - if you choose to play up or play with one arm (or run in the olympics with two prostetics) you are essentially saying "I am the same as anyone else out here, I am NOT handicapped."

I disagree - if you choose to play up or play with one arm (or run in the olympics with two prostetics) you are essentially saying "I am the same as anyone else out here, I am NOT handicapped."
That guy with two prosthetics was a cheater. Ready.....set....fish on....?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT