ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Prediction Thread

do you really think I would share any information (which I do not have) on a website about a key player before a playoff game? :po_O

I'm no doctor and I'm not close to the WB football program. I do not understand "precautionary." Lenoch was not in for what was the final series of the game to win the game to guarantee a playoff spot. He is the best player on the team. How is this precautionary? I'm not being adversarial, just curious.
At the time OT was starting the SK/Wilton game was final. WB was in win or lose then. Based on Wilton losing by 7

At the time OT was starting the SK/Wilton game was final. WB was in win or lose then. Based on Wilton losing by 7
I'd be surprised if any coaching staff would base decisions on other games in progress/over and take their chances on a wildcard berth. Much too risky. He obviously was not ready to play on the OT series and WB did like they have all season, do the best with what you have. I agree, he will likely be on the field on Friday. I hope he is healthy and can finish his career on the field, not on the sidelines. He will face his stiffest challenge of the season in the DL of Regina.

I'm sure the Regals will be ready for him and will bring some of the biggest hits he'll have faced all season.

WB had better protect Kabela's weak side (40 second mark).
And, hope we get to see more of Brinkman (#62) leading the way on punt returns (at the 1:30 mark):

I'm sure the Regals will be ready for him and will bring some of the biggest hits he'll have faced all season.

WB had better protect Kabela's weak side (40 second mark).
And, hope we get to see more of Brinkman (#62) leading the way on punt returns (at the 1:30 mark):

Going out on a limb to say WB OL is a touch better than LM. Butch will have some surprises as he always does.

Going out on a limb to say WB OL is a touch better than LM. Butch will have some surprises as he always does.
Always difficult to predict rivalries. With the injury but that WB has caught this year, Regina is probably the stronger team. However, these types of games can take some funny turns. The Regals will have to be ready. As Coach Peterson stated in the paper, "we have nothing to lose." WB will get after it.

I'm no doctor and I'm not close to the WB football program. I do not understand "precautionary." Lenoch was not in for what was the final series of the game to win the game to guarantee a playoff spot. He is the best player on the team. How is this precautionary? I'm not being adversarial, just curious.
I think if there was anyway possible he would have been in there... looked like a different team without him. Bears need to play the perfect game to pull off the upset. Don't know if it is possible without him.

can't believe Sig/Keota beat Wilton w/o completing a pass.. oh wait, yes I can :)
I saw the Regina SK game during the season. SK didn't throw it often but threw it very effectively because they're run game was so strong. The could lure you in to defending the run and take advantage just often enough. Plus they could throw it to #15 who was always a big play waiting to happen.

On the season, West Branch has more interceptions than touchdowns (11/9). I think you focus on Lenoch and force WB to try succeed where they haven't been able to all season.

Butch can try to pretend like WB has nothing to lose. But, they have a lot to lose.

please explain the "a lot" you are referring to, Pinehawk. I cannot wait to hear this one.

Not Pinehawk but would a losing a game that ends a great class of seniors career be considered 'a lot'? Would be to me but we pretty consistently agree to disagree on here.

Prediction: Lenoch plays and plays tough and gritty like always; West Branch makes things interesting early (maybe even has the early lead); Regina rolls as their depth and superior talent wears on an outmatched Bears team.

Final: Regina 42 West Branch 14

Prediction: Lenoch plays and plays tough and gritty like always; West Branch makes things interesting early (maybe even has the early lead); Regina rolls as their depth and superior talent wears on an outmatched Bears team.

Wow! That's a big spread. Rivalry game and no common opponents this year so this is a toughy to predict. I wouldn't bet bet against the Regals as they are likely the better team on paper. As I have mentioned before, don't bet against a champ until someone beats them. Still waiting for this to happen. I think this has all the makings of a great HS football game.

Wow! That's a big spread. Rivalry game and no common opponents this year so this is a toughy to predict. I wouldn't bet bet against the Regals as they are likely the better team on paper. As I have mentioned before, don't bet against a champ until someone beats them. Still waiting for this to happen. I think this has all the makings of a great HS football game.

'Toughy'? o_O

Yes, toughy. Per Websters:
toughie

or toughy
[tuhf-ee]

noun, Informal.
a tough person, especially one who is belligerent.
a difficult problem or situation:
That math test was a real toughie!
a harsh or blunt book, movie, etc. :)

I wasn't questioning the grammar :)

Reactions: cyard31

I'm actually being generous! The BC Moore super computer has the spread at -40 :eek:

I'm actually being generous! The BC Moore super computer has the spread at -40 :eek:
Wow! I guess I'm just reluctant to put that big of a spread on a rivalry game. I know WB has significant injuries so that certainly makes a difference. Perhaps you are spot on. I won't bet against the Regals. Just not certain I could put 40 points on it. We'll know by tomorrow night. Playoff football is always exciting!

Wow! I guess I'm just reluctant to put that big of a spread on a rivalry game. I know WB has significant injuries so that certainly makes a difference. Perhaps you are spot on. I won't bet against the Regals. Just not certain I could put 40 points on it. We'll know by tomorrow night. Playoff football is always exciting!

So BC Moore is expecting a running clock tomorrow night? Not sure that has happened in this rivalry since the 90's, before Regina moved to Iowa City and became a private school.

So BC Moore is expecting a running clock tomorrow night? Not sure that has happened in this rivalry since the 90's, before Regina moved to Iowa City and became a private school.

I wonder if we can have BC add a "coaching against alma-mater" function into his algorithm. I think that factor will guarantee that the game doesn't get too out of hand.

I wonder if we can have BC add a "coaching against alma-mater" function into his algorithm. I think that factor will guarantee that the game doesn't get too out of hand.

I don't think that the game will get out of hand due to it being a rivalry and two good teams going at it. Marv and staff have done a great job of keeping scores down through the years, some other schools could take notes and learn from it.

Reactions: Pinehawk

You're the man! Pretty good prediction. I really thought this rivalry game would be closer. I know Lenoch is good and I've heard a lot about the size and athleticism of the WB line. I know they have some injuries. The line was absolutely no match for Regina on either side of the ball. Regina completely dominated the line of scrimmage. #62, #64, and #69 for the Regals dominated. Now, can you be as good predicting the anticipated Pella Christian-Regina matchup?!?!

I don't think that the game will get out of hand due to it being a rivalry and two good teams going at it. Marv and staff have done a great job of keeping scores down through the years, some other schools could take notes and learn from it.

outside of onside kicking early in 2nd quarter when you are up 21-0 and going for it on 4-12 in the 4th quarter when you are ahead 49-7, you're spot on.

There's no doubt ICR is a great program and they are an impressive squad this season. But if WB ever pulled that crap I would be on Butch so fast it would make his head spin. Onside kick when you're up 3 scores and completely dominating a team already? Just desserts on Friday, I can only hope.

I could care less about the onside but will say this,if this happened the other way around last night, there would be some posters on here all over butch and bad mouthing WB.

outside of onside kicking early in 2nd quarter when you are up 21-0 and going for it on 4-12 in the 4th quarter when you are ahead 49-7, you're spot on.

There's no doubt ICR is a great program and they are an impressive squad this season. But if WB ever pulled that crap I would be on Butch so fast it would make his head spin. Onside kick when you're up 3 scores and completely dominating a team already? Just desserts on Friday, I can only hope.
Who was in the game when this occurred? Was it the first string or the backups? If it's the first string that's one thing. If it's backups, I don't see any problem with it. I was at the game. My memory serves me that the backups were in.

I am a little amused with your post. I am assuming you have a long history with WB football. I think that if you got into your time machine and went back a few years you would have a couple of situations where you could say a few similar things about the program you support. The sun doesn't shine on the same dogs rump every day and currently the sun shines in Iowa City. Perhaps a review of the 90's would do you well before you cast aspersions. Some serious beat downs went on with little concern for the opposition. Perhaps the onside kick was practice for a game where they will need it? 4th down? Did they attempt to score after that? That game could have been far worse.

A) To Bluejay: their 1st team went for it and then upon getting the 1st down the second stringers were brought in.

B) Ah, bringing up things from 25 years ago. Lest we forget that in the 90s when you were getting your arrs handed to you the game was over at halftime. And I'd bet the WB teams didn't onside kick when up 21 and destroying an opponent like they did all the time.

A) To Bluejay: their 1st team went for it and then upon getting the 1st down the second stringers were brought in.

B) Ah, bringing up things from 25 years ago. Lest we forget that in the 90s when you were getting your arrs handed to you the game was over at halftime. And I'd bet the WB teams didn't onside kick when up 21 and destroying an opponent like they did all the time.

I agree an onside kick wouldn't normally look good when up by 21. But in this case they definitely weren't doing it to run up the score, I'm sure it was practice for if they need it next week

Dan is probably right. Regina would never do anything against the "rules", written or unwritten.
:)
Those who are successful, regardless of sport or industry, become easy targets. We all certainly could talk for hours about who has or has not broken unwritten rules. I'll leave that one alone. Accusations of recruiting in private or Catholic schools is a broken record and has been over-discussed for years. What written rules are you referring to that have been broken?

Might want to check those comments out. What is your opinion on leaving starters in to get to 50 at the half? I am guessing your answer would depend on which team was involved. There was some great sportsmanship displayed in the days of the EIHC. Butch has kept his foot on the gas pedal many times longer than needed. Sometimes what goes around comes around and it's interesting to see how it's handled when the shoe is on the other foot. The laughing and yucking it up on the sideline is gone, not nearly as much fun I guess. As far as bringing things up from long ago, aren't you the guy who periodically brings up the 'conference formation' issue?
Those who are successful, regardless of sport or industry, become easy targets. We all certainly could talk for hours about who has or has not broken unwritten rules. I'll leave that one alone. Accusations of recruiting in private or Catholic schools is a broken record and has been over-discussed for years. What written rules are you referring to that have been broken?

He may not want to answer that, it would open up some doors the Bears don't want opened. ;)

And here it is...West Branch complaining that Regina didn't go easy enough on them in a playoff game...
...in the 2nd quarter. Feels good.
:)

I have no problem with the onside kick. I would be surprised if West Branch has never kicked an onside or fake punt or went for it on 4th down against a team they are dominating. Maybe they have not, I don't know.

I have been on the other end of a butt whooping when the opposing team does these things. Or when they decide they need to work on their passing game up 4 or 5 scores. Heck, it even happened this year. It certainly does upset you and you feel bad for the players, but on the other hand it gives your team a chance to recover the onside and have good field position. The 4th and 12 allows your defense an opportunity to make a play. But the most important thing is it leaves a bad taste in your mouth that you can use during the off season and future pre game pep talks when the tables are turned and your team is more talented.

Well, I can think of many, many games over the eons in which one team was leading by 21, yet lost. Perhaps one can make a case if the score is 49-0, but IMHO the game is still in play with just a 3 TD difference.

A good coach will change the focus of his team if the game is well in hand, but not over. I don't see a problem trying an onside kick. However, to have your star RB/QB taking 25 touches and rushing for 275 yards against an overwhelmed opponent, etc, is questionable in my mind. Such individual stats against hapless opponents mean little to me, as is continued scoring by 1st teamers after mercy rule, and so on.

Well, I can think of many, many games over the eons in which one team was leading by 21, yet lost. Perhaps one can make a case if the score is 49-0, but IMHO the game is still in play with just a 3 TD difference.

A good coach will change the focus of his team if the game is well in hand, but not over. I don't see a problem trying an onside kick. However, to have your star RB/QB taking 25 touches and rushing for 275 yards against an overwhelmed opponent, etc, is questionable in my mind. Such individual stats against hapless opponents mean little to me, as is continued scoring by 1st teamers after mercy rule, and so on.

I was at a game last year where a team led 35-3 and lost 38-35. The excessive touches against out manned teams I have seen as well in this area.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT