ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Discussion

Originally posted by tigercrzy:
Who cares. Let's talk playoffs.

And for what is worth, Madrid was down three of our starting linemen and a starting back when we played St. Eds. So while they might have took it to us that night, it would be fun to rematch with a healthy Madrid team. Although I give St Eds nothing but props as they are a great physical team.

This post was edited on 10/14 9:49 PM by tigercrzy
Madrid is a quality team in a deep district. Heck, in district 8 and possibly district 1 they may be the best team. Certainly injuries could have been a factor in allowing that game to get out of hand the way it did especially if they happen on the line but I still think SE is a ways out in front of the district and Ogden is the runner up. That doesn't mean that a team like SCC or Madrid couldn't catch SE on a bad night and make things interesting though. SCC scored a couple quick TDs against SE right before half to make the score fairly reasonable.

This post was edited on 10/14 10:00 PM by CP84

I think people on this board are funny at times..get over the two point conversion. It happened. By the way, Peed, the kicker did not fun it in. The starting qb threw a pass into the end zone. Fact.
Fact SE could have scored a 100 points that game, if they really wanted too. Fact, Newman had bad defensive game plan. They played a 3-5-3 that night. The dude complaining about those two points has an ax to grind against SE. FACT.
It is true SE has low numbers in football. Like every other school fighting for kids to go out for football, there are a lot of reasons why.
I think a lot of parents are not letting their kids play any more.. Some kids just do not care to play. Imagine that you are an underclass an and have to let guys like O Tool, Peed and the other runningbacks run all over you in practice. Younger players take a lot beatings in practice. I love HS football but it does seem there is a widening gap between really good teams and bad ones. D7 may be the exception to this all quality teams.
Some people predict the NFL will noe exist in 30 years because of head injuries and violence.
The Eddie's need to do something this year because following years are going to be tough.
SE Valley will be a tougher game than many people think. It wii not be a cake walk.
For all those haters out there, Gaels all the way to the Dome!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Greenvapor:
I think people on this board are funny at times..get over the two point conversion. It happened. By the way, Peed, the kicker did not fun it in. The starting qb threw a pass into the end zone. Fact.
Fact SE could have scored a 100 points that game, if they really wanted too. Fact, Newman had bad defensive game plan. They played a 3-5-3 that night. The dude complaining about those two points has an ax to grind against SE. FACT.
It is true SE has low numbers in football. Like every other school fighting for kids to go out for football, there are a lot of reasons why.
I think a lot of parents are not letting their kids play any more.. Some kids just do not care to play. Imagine that you are an underclass an and have to let guys like O Tool, Peed and the other runningbacks run all over you in practice. Younger players take a lot beatings in practice. I love HS football but it does seem there is a widening gap between really good teams and bad ones. D7 may be the exception to this all quality teams.
Some people predict the NFL will noe exist in 30 years because of head injuries and violence.
The Eddie's need to do something this year because following years are going to be tough.
SE Valley will be a tougher game than many people think. It wii not be a cake walk.
For all those haters out there, Gaels all the way to the Dome!!!!!!!!!
I probably fed into the trolling attempt a little too long. Who knew that one little comment relevant to to the topic and rather irrelevant to a broken XP play could result in this thread hijacking? Good catch on the run vs pass issue although that is rather inconsequential just as Bocken's status as the starting QB being irrelevant to a play where he wasn't in as a qb nor meant to be a designed pass. The pass vs run issue really shows just how broken the play was considering Bocken has only completed 8 passes this season. If SE really wanted to get a 2 point conversion to run up the score they would have ran it in on a designed play. Now hopefully we can just talk about the original thread and move on from this 6 week old debate.

This post was edited on 10/14 10:47 PM by CP84

Oh spook.....

Originally posted by spook78:
Me pot stir?

[/QUOTE]
post-32842-ron-swanson-yep-gif-yes-yup-fu-qhg3.gif

This post was edited on 10/14 11:24 PM by DarkThunder#61

Originally posted by warriors dad:
8th grade appeared ( no roster) to have roughly 7-10 players do not know for sure but during warm ups coaches working with 7th graders and they were off to side.
How'd the games go?

Knowing now what we know about St Eds future roster size make the whole 75-0 win earlier this season seem to be an even bigger bonehead move by the SE coaching staff.

You have 13 seniors this year and your combined next 2 classes aren't that big combined.....11 upperclassmen next year. Only 3 seniors (unless they recruit more) coming up in 2 years. SE should have done everything possible to get their lowest level kids in the game both for experience and to keep them properly motivated and interested in football. Totally agree with Spook on that one. Nice to know TJ only had 10 carries in the second half. Why did he have any?

Maybe how the coaches handled this game is giving us some insight on why SE is suffering such weak participation after having their most success season ever last year. If the coaches only are willing to play a few kids.....that is all they will have go out.

PS Totally off the subject but I loved the disclaimer at the top of this thread! Nice!!!

This post was edited on 10/15 6:43 AM by ghost80

You've got your facts wrong Ghost. TJ had 7 carries all game, none in the second half. I don't believe he had any outside of the 1st qtr. Underclassmen Fear and Naughton got 13 carries in the second half. The underclassmen had more combined carries than the starting unit of TJ and Landon. I probably could have been more clear in my original post that TJ's fewer than 10 carries came all game not simply the second half but it was stated later that he had seven carries all game. Your criticism of the coaching staff is unwarranted.

This post was edited on 10/15 8:20 AM by CP84

Maybe more underclassmen would want to go out for football if they thought there was a chance they'd get to play in the second half of blowout games?

If there was hijacking, it didn't come from me.
CP wrote "They beat Mason City Newman 27-0, the same team FDSE tried not to score 75 against" All I did was make a response pertaining to the fact that pulling off a 2 point conversion play while leading by 73 points does not sound like a team trying to keep the score down.
And yes, I know it came by pass....its why I used the word starters (plural)

My point in bringing up the score was simply underlining the fact that SE blew out Mason City while pulling out key starters for most of the second half and before. It was one of a couple examples I used comparing the top teams. Giving your third string sophomore running back more carries than your Allstate starter is a pretty good indication they tried to keep the score down. The two-point conversion on a busted play was simply an opportunity for you to take a cheap shot and move the conversation in a different direction.>

This post was edited on 10/15 9:08 AM by CP84

In response to warriors dad comment on the cheap shot that he made about SE recruiting. SE does not recruit. SE doesn't have the advantage of school consolidation like SEV has done in the past 10 years. Bottom feeder, laughable, worthless school athletic programs keep merging which keeps a heartbeat going in these communities. They make up the largest school district in Iowa with about 15 different towns with bad athletic facilities. It is tough to travel to SEV when you know you are going to play in a cornfield. This friday's game will be tough for SE remain focus on playing at a high level of play.

In all fairness to warrior dad, while he does have a history of bashing SE this one looks like a pure joke. That's far more tolerable than the SE Derangement Syndrome of complaining about keeping the starting kick holder and kicker out for extra points.

This post was edited on 10/15 12:35 PM by CP84

On the road to DSM so bear with me as I won't have the quote function.

Ghost- lol Of course I know how you operate otherwise I'd be telling you how you're making assumptions to drive your argument without gathering all the facts....but we both know that you know what you're doing here so again....lol

Pine- you're wasting your time. Trolling is not in your nature and it feels forced when you try it. And that was me trying to be nice and not tell you that you have no idea what you're talking about instead.....Friends?

Spook- CP pretty much took care of it but again you didn't add complete context and instead mislead the reader by not including all the facts. You rehashed a topic you were in the wrong in the first time and lastly....there was no need to. It was unnecessary. Deal with it.

Tell us how you really feel Goingdeep!

Question for St. Edmond- I have heard that Coach Tighe does NOT suit freshman....I know he has a few suiting this year but I think throughout his decades of coaching he has not suited freshman as a policy. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but it explains why you have the kids on the field in the 4th quarter that they have out there. I think the contrast is interesting. A team like FDSE has starters out there for extended minutes and over at REgina their best kids play 15-16 minutes then sit- although that changes this week. Different competition level I know. Regina must play in a district with a lot of struggling teams. I know they are a great team but the points they put up in the first 12 minutes of a game is unreal.

D7 is looking tough....can't wait to see how it all plays out.

I wasn't going to get in on this thread at all but GoingDeep410 just crossed a line with me. You call small community athletic programs bottom feeders, laughable, and worthless?? Are you kidding me? Let's not forget that the Prairie Valley football coach now has I think 6 or 7 straight winning seasons including 2 trips to the dome. That coach (Swieter) is still there now for Southeast Valley and they have continued that success with a new team that just merged. For the facilities they have one of the nicer football fields in the area with a brand new scoreboard and also recently got a new weight room, gym floor, and bleachers for the gym. I'm not sure what advantages you are talking about when it is basically the PV team plus a handful of new kids they got from SW-G that play. That program (SW-G) had 4 total wins in the past 8 years I believe. And you didn't just call this new district out you said it about all small communities. warriors dad was obviously kidding with his comment so how about you chill out and not attack the many small community schools we have in Iowa.

GoingDeep-

There's always risk consolidating schools, not to mention it's often a very opinionated subject within those communities. However more often than not it seems to be not only a good move but a necessary move.

So far it looks like it's proven to be a good move for both schools.

And SE will not be taking the Jaguars lightly. Kuemper may be down but beating them certainly demands that they take notice. Not to mention the kids probably still remember the loss in baseball and SEV is probably treating this like a rivalry game.

PS for SEV fans.....why Jaguars?

I think Prairie Valley/Southeast Valley has a nice field. It boarders on a corn field, but many small town fields do. I actually like that type of setting. Small town Friday night football - it doesn't get better than that.

Now - This thread is suppose to be about the playoffs. Let's keep it that way.

It will be interesting to see how D7 shakes out. Two big games:

SCC @ South Hamilton. This should be a great game. Whoever wins this has the upper hand for the 4th playoff spot.
Both have tough games next week. SCC against Ogden and South Hamilton against St. Eds.

Manson @ Ogden - Manson needs to win to have any chance at a spot. Ogden wins and they lock up 2nd place and a home game.

It is going to be interesting to see how the state chooses the first round games. I have a feeling they will keep the first round match ups with the cross district. just a gut feeling though.

Hawk - I think you have the final 8 spot on though.

Wade - I have seen on occasion a few freshmen play. Very rare though.
This post was edited on 10/15 11:15 AM by L N D

Wade-

Coach Tighe will suit freshmen if their numbers are low or he feels they can contribute to the varsity squad. They have a few on the varsity roster and you'll see them play on JV as well. A freshman has scored a touchdown in a varsity game in each of the last 4 years for SE, so I don't think Coach Tighe is too averse to playing freshmen.

There have been several struggling teams in Regina's district this year. That being said I have watched 4 years of pretty decent football and I don't believe Regina has scored even 60 on people so there must be a method that allows the score to not get into the 70 range. I have watched starters be out of the game before the 1st qtr is over, I have watched Freshman play in the first half, I have watched starters get chewed out because they didn't execute well enough on their 1st 4 drives to get the reserves in before the 2nd qtr. There is a method to the madness, probably could have put up 100 in quite a few games as I am sure several teams can. One of the things they do at times is put kids in new positions to see what they can do under the lights. They already have a good idea what they can do at their normal position. It makes for some sloppy play at times, keeps the score down same and has led to some position changes for kids that has helped them see the field.....wait...wasn't this supposed to be about the playoffs?
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Thank you, Thunder. I knew there were a few suiting when we played them back in week 3. I had just heard that and wondered if this was the first year he did this due to low numbers.

The playoffs will be interesting...I am anxious to see how many first round matchups we have that are close games within a district...say SEV vs. East Sac again? That would be a great game. I was talking to someone from Southeast Valley this morning and he said that might be a possibility depending on how the last two weeks go. SEV has quite a two game stretch here with FDSE and Clarinda.
But then here at MNW we go Ogden and Madrid both on the road- good football teams.

Injuries are so key at this time of year....hope everyone is healthy so they can give it their best shot.

Cid, 2011- won 70-0 over Louisa-Muscatine (4-6)

Deal with it.

This post was edited on 10/15 12:34 PM by DarkThunder#61

Originally posted by cidhawkeye:
There have been several struggling teams in Regina's district this year. That being said I have watched 4 years of pretty decent football and I don't believe Regina has scored even 60 on people so there must be a method that allows the score to not get into the 70 range. I have watched starters be out of the game before the 1st qtr is over, I have watched Freshman play in the first half, I have watched starters get chewed out because they didn't execute well enough on their 1st 4 drives to get the reserves in before the 2nd qtr. There is a method to the madness, probably could have put up 100 in quite a few games as I am sure several teams can. One of the things they do at times is put kids in new positions to see what they can do under the lights. They already have a good idea what they can do at their normal position. It makes for some sloppy play at times, keeps the score down same and has led to some position changes for kids that has helped them see the field.....wait...wasn't this supposed to be about the playoffs?
3dgrin.r191677.gif
The way they scored had far more to do with the 75 points than when they pulled starters. As mentioned above, the 3rd and 4th string runningbacks played throughout the 2nd half and I don't believe O'Toole saw much if any action outside the first two drives. Peed only had 4 carries as well.

When you give up TD runs of 44, 50, 35 and 31 along with a pass of 46 yards, a kickoff return TD and an INT return for a TD you aren't doing yourself any favors to chew up the clock. SE did what they had to in regard to pulling out starters. It's not their fault that Newman had no interest in tackling anybody,

Good research thunder, missed that one. L&M must have been running a 3-3-5 or something that game. Took a fumble recovery for a TD to get to 70. Did see they got 4 kickers into the game so the starter wasn't able to complete a 2 pt conversion, starting running back got 3 carries, backup qb didn't even get in as they went to 3rd string. 29 offensive plays 9 touchdowns so I guess a game can get out of hand, I would be surprised if a single starter saw the field in the 2nd half even on special teams. Most if not all didn't see the field in the 2nd qtr. So I stand corrected on this one, missed one game in the 2011 year.

Good research thunder, missed that one. L&M must have been running a 3-3-5 or something that game. Took a fumble recovery for a TD to get to 70. Did see they got 4 kickers into the game so the starter wasn't able to complete a 2 pt conversion, starting running back got 3 carries, backup qb didn't even get in as they went to 3rd string. 29 offensive plays 9 touchdowns so I guess a game can get out of hand, I would be surprised if a single starter saw the field in the 2nd half even on special teams. Most if not all didn't see the field in the 2nd qtr. So I stand corrected on this one, missed one game in the 2011 year.
And it took a pick 6 and a kickoff return for a TD for the SE game to get to 75. Must be nice to have 4 viable kickers on the roster. Most 1A teams don't have 4 kickers let alone more assistant coaches than most teams have players on the roster. I wonder why they let their starting kicker kick all 6 XPs in a 50 point route of West Marshall this season? Is 50 points acceptable but 75 is overkill for allowing kick holders and kickers to remain in the game?
This post was edited on 10/15 4:09 PM by CP84

But, the point still stands. Regina develops it's underclassmen far more than many across the state do. That results in them being penalized in the computer rankings (offensive and defensive averages) and not leading the state in individual stat categories...but it has translated to wins. And, that depth is shown through having 4 different starting QB's and 4 different 1st string running backs over their 4 straight State Championships.

Going deep:
You wrote, " SE does not recruit. SE doesn't have the advantage of school consolidation like SEV has done in the past".
A copy of the fall edition of Sharing The Spirit is in my hands as I type. On page 12, under Do you know? St. Edmond facts:
Over half a million dollars in tuition assistance available for qualifying families.
53% of our students received varying amounts of assistance.
Other faiths are welcome with over 17% attending of other faiths.
Class of 2014 was offered over $1.6 million dollars in scholarships with 91% of the class of 2014 offered at least 1 scholarship.
sounds like recruiting to me. it might or might not be for an athlete. it might or might not be for a musician, and it might or might not be for any student....but its definitely recruiting. And why would I call it that? Because the ones already in the system, the ones already going to St Eds know those facts already. No need to print them. These are printed for the outsiders to see and get interested in St Ed. Recruiting.
Also you wrote about sev and "bad athletic facilities". Refresh me again about what % SE owns of Dodger stadium....where they play their home games. Cant get much "badder" than not having a field. And the fact that they don't have a stadium of their own, could possibly mean that they don't play a few playoff games at home, even if deserved.

Originally posted by Pinehawk:

But, the point still stands. Regina develops it's underclassmen far more than many across the state do. That results in them being penalized in the computer rankings (offensive and defensive averages) and not leading the state in individual stat categories...but it has translated to wins. And, that depth is shown through having 4 different starting QB's and 4 different 1st string running backs over their 4 straight State Championships.
I think it has far more to do with having the luxury of talented players like Brinkman and Cook on your roster and blowing out bad teams. Catholic Schools also have an inherent advantage in athletics. That's just a fact and I say that as someone who went to one. There is a reason why the playoffs last season were dominated by Catholic Schools. It's becoming ever more difficult for these small consolidated farming communities to compete consistently from year to year. Bedroom communities outside of larger metro areas like Solon will continue to stay strong but it's certainly having a lasting negative impact on small farming communities in more rural areas. Schools like SE get middle class and upper class well rounded students from a town of ~25K and Regina from even a bigger demographic.

You think those kids just show up talented and they just plug them in? They don't.
They develop those kids into what they are today.

Going deep:
You wrote, " SE does not recruit. SE doesn't have the advantage of school consolidation like SEV has done in the past".
A copy of the fall edition of Sharing The Spirit is in my hands as I type. On page 12, under Do you know? St. Edmond facts:
Over half a million dollars in tuition assistance available for qualifying families.
Class of 2014 was offered over $1.6 million dollars in scholarships with 91% of the class of 2014 offered at least 1 scholarship.
sounds like recruiting to me. it might or might not be for an athlete. it might or might not be for a musician, and it might or might not be for any student....but its definitely recruiting. And why would I call it that? Because the ones already in the system, the ones already going to St Eds know those facts already. No need to print them. These are printed for the outsiders to see and get interested in St Ed. Recruiting.
Also you wrote about sev and "bad athletic facilities". Refresh me again about what % SE owns of Dodger stadium....where they play their home games. Cant get much "badder" than not having a field. And the fact that they don't have a stadium of their own, could possibly mean that they don't play a few playoff games at home, even if deserved.
I'm not going to defend his statements but your statements are equally ridiculous. There are several teams throughout the state that lease stadiums. In FD, ICCC, the community college, and a solid football program at that, also leases Dodger Stadium.

With a solid stadium like Dodger that taxpayers are already paying to maintain, it would be ridiculous to build another stadium. It's not a matter of cost, it's a matter of being practical.

You think those kids just show up talented and they just plug them in? They don't.
They develop those kids into what they are today.
Of course they develop them but that's a simplistic look at a more complex issue. Catholic School class enrollment is typically comprised of primarily middle and upper class residents in the communities. Those students are typically more likely to be good athletes. Look at FD for example. SE was able to get naturally gifted athletic families like the Flattery's and Harvey's to go there. FDSH while they have some good athletes they also have a larger percentage of the student body that are deadbeats for lack of a better word. In a small community public school you get what you get. Catholic school parents are those that are typically motivated individuals that have resources and send their kids there to get a well rounded experience. It's not a fluke that the private schools dominated the football playoffs and have dominated basketball playoff field throughout the years despite making up a rather small percentage of total schools.

I disagree with anyone that says they recruit. That's just a dig but I do believe they get a better group of kids on average and that translates to success in athletics.

not ridiculous, just another fact. SE doesn't own any part of dodger stadium. Gosh, you guys sure don't like facts.
(ps. st ed doesn't own any part of it but technically any landowner in the FD district could go to FDSD board meetings as they would indeed have monetary interest in dodger stadium)

What does it matter whether a stadium is bought, leased or borrowed? Leasing stadiums is not unique to high school and is even common in professional sports. The Metrodome for example was never owned by either the Twins or the Vikings. The Pitt Panthers play home games at Heinz Field. The issue is how nice are the facilities that your team uses rather than the manner of acquiring them.

Spook, you're right St. Eds doesn't own Dodger Stadium, neither does Senior High. The tax payers of Fort Dodge own the stadium, which includes St. Eds tax payers. Many SE supporters contributed to the fundraising campaign for the turf, as well. Beats playing next to a cornfield and a rolling skating rink.

SE over the Jags 44-7. "SE's score a 2 pt conversion late on a botched FG".

But, the point still stands. Regina develops it's underclassmen far more than many across the state do. (Because they can......)
That results in them being penalized in the computer rankings (don't care) (offensive and defensive averages) and not leading the state in individual stat categories...but it has translated to wins (so that is your secret. Good thing every other school can copy that and then they'll all have similar success too...............). And, that depth is shown through having 4 different starting QB's and 4 different 1st string running backs over their 4 straight State Championships. (except this year...what happened, no CJ Beathard situation at Regina?
tongue.r191677.gif
)[/B]
So anyways, Iowa City Regina has 63 kids on their roster (give or take for possible counting error, not recounting)......13 are freshmen. So that leaves you with 50 sophomore-through-seniors on your roster.

Now these next set of numbers were compiled at the beginning of the year so it is possible they're different by now, but would you like to know how many teams in 1A have over 50 kids total from freshman-senior out for football?

Eight (nine including Regina now). 6 of those 9 made the playoffs last year.

Not including Regina, know how many are still at 50 or more when you take out their freshmen numbers?...........Two.

(Dike-New Hartford had 64 total and 50 10th and above, Western Christian had 53 from 10th and above. Again these numbers were compiled around the beginning of the year, so several teams could've added more numbers, including freshmen since then.)

Yeah...and you're comparing one game for SE.

Going deep:
Lol pot stir..........

Originally posted by WadeWubben:

Thank you, Thunder. I knew there were a few suiting when we played them back in week 3. I had just heard that and wondered if this was the first year he did this due to low numbers.

The playoffs will be interesting...I am anxious to see how many first round matchups we have that are close games within a district...say SEV vs. East Sac again? That would be a great game. I was talking to someone from Southeast Valley this morning and he said that might be a possibility depending on how the last two weeks go. SEV has quite a two game stretch here with FDSE and Clarinda.
But then here at MNW we go Ogden and Madrid both on the road- good football teams.

Injuries are so key at this time of year....hope everyone is healthy so they can give it their best shot.
I really think the State will try their best to avoid in-district matchups in the 1st round. There are some cases where it's probably gonna be unavoidable, but it will also depend on who is all available for the State to choose from when making the pairings.

There's enough teams around the area that I don't see any in-district games from D7 in the 1st round.

And yeah, MNW has a tough hill to climb, but they still have a puncher's chance. Both them and probably one of SCC or South Hamilton could possibly get left out whereas they could just as easily be in, perhaps already, in a few other districts. That unfortunately is how it works when you got 6 quality teams in a 7-team district fighting for 4 spots.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT