ADVERTISEMENT

My way too early rankings for next year

I am fully aware of how it works and also know the Regina football hype is just that. Playing 1A is a joke. They haven't accomplished anything in winning it. The staff may be great coaches but that gets lost when you consider they are winning rec league titles
Wow! Pretty much blasting everybody. No one else must be any good. What a slap in the face to Western Christian and other quality programs. I didn't know all of 1A was a rec league. That must be a new classification the IHSAA came up with this. year. They probably installed a separate set of rules like no forward passes because no one in the rec league could be good enough to do this. Would probably just hurt themselves.

I am fully aware of how it works and also know the Regina football hype is just that. Playing 1A is a joke. They haven't accomplished anything in winning it. The staff may be great coaches but that gets lost when you consider they are winning rec league titles

I think "rec league" titles is a little harsh. There's usually 1 or 2 other teams in 1A that could hang with or beat the best in 2A. Still I can't imagine how blowing every team out by the first quarter would be fun for the players. If I was a player at Regina I'd be begging the coaches to let us play up a class or two.

And your team can't win the rec league. Hype? Joke? Is that how you want to go? Glad that the state and farm bureau give out trophies and footballs for hype and jokes. They look good in a trophy case and in my kids rooms. Keep at it Iowa12, your approach is quite amusing.

I think "rec league" titles is a little harsh. There's usually 1 or 2 other teams in 1A that could hang with or beat the best in 2A. Still I can't imagine how blowing every team out by the first quarter would be fun for the players. If I was a player at Regina I'd be begging the coaches to let us play up a class or two.

It isn't always fun and I am fairly certain the games in 2A districts wouldn't be much different. Have we looked at it from the perspective of the last kids on the bench or younger kids? They playing time they get for varsity football? How much time do those kids get at some schools that are in close games each week? Football would be a tough game to practice if you never saw the field. Lots of different ways to look at it other than 'that team is better than mine so that isn't fair'

Lots of different ways to look at it other than 'that team is better than mine so that isn't fair'

I know, I'm not saying that it isn't fair. Regina is a 1A sized school and they have every right to play 1A if they choose. I'm just saying if I were a player there I would want more of a challenge. That is all.

I know, I'm not saying that it isn't fair. Regina is a 1A sized school and they have every right to play 1A if they choose. I'm just saying if I were a player there I would want more of a challenge. That is all.
Wrong. 2A. Playing with the poors in football. Never said winning 1A isn't an accomplishment for 1A schools, but it isn't for Regina. For them winning it doesn't accomplish anything for them

They get challenged more than most 1A schools, with non district and in the playoffs. It isn't as if they don't play close games. Teams in each class that tend to dominate consistently face the same issues. Should Pella lobby to play up? They dominate their class. Playing up in 2A wouldn't change Reginas district situation much.

Wrong. 2A. Playing with the poors in football. Never said winning 1A isn't an accomplishment for 1A schools, but it isn't for Regina. For them winning it doesn't accomplish anything for them

Rec league? Not exactly an accomplishment worthy description. Regina has approximately 10 kids out per grade 9-12. How does that compare number wise to other 1A schools? I am certain it must be far and away more since they are in a metropolitan area and have such an aggressive and high powered recruiting staff.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Rec league? Not exactly an accomplishment worthy description. Regina has approximately 10 kids out per grade 9-12. How does that compare number wise to other 1A schools? I am certain it must be far and away more since they are in a metropolitan area and have such an aggressive and high powered recruiting staff.

I had no idea their numbers were that low. That's not good.... Back when I was in school their teams were about double that size. What's with the low numbers? Low enrollment, or just not as many kids going out?

I had no idea their numbers were that low. That's not good.... Back when I was in school their teams were about double that size. What's with the low numbers? Low enrollment, or just not as many kids going out?

A little bit of both. Enrollment is flat, strong in elementary school and they lose more kids than they gain from there. It has been surprising, I kept expecting an enrollment spike as the football program grew but no such luck. They do draw from a large metropolitan area but with City, West, Clear Creek, Solon, West Branch all getting kids out the Iowa City district and the cost to attend those schools a little lower it pinches enrollment. That would be where the recruiting and diversity come in. It goes against the narrative that others push but that makes a better story. Not sure they had 80 out but it was in the 60+ range for awhile.

Reactions: Pinehawk
I'd like to hear an explanation at how the CCA kid evidently was given less of a transfer penalty due to his HC from last year being fired. This isn't NCAA, so no "transfer LOI" scenarios should be legal.

I will ALWAYS say Regina recruits. Always. They have a metropolitan base of over 100,000 to pool from, yet play schools with 2500 or less population in district and playoffs. #MultiplierNeededNow

Did CCA recruit the QB from West High who is now starting at CCA? How about the player from Sioux City?

They do draw from a large metropolitan area but with City, West, Clear Creek, Solon, West Branch all getting kids out the Iowa City district and the cost to attend those schools a little lower it pinches enrollment. That would be where the recruiting and diversity come in. It goes against the narrative that others push but that makes a better story. Not sure they had 80 out but it was in the 60+ range for awhile.

West Branch:

Open Enrollment IN: 17
Open Enrollment OUT: 24
Net "gain": -7 students

I can play your game all day

West Branch:

Open Enrollment IN: 17
Open Enrollment OUT: 24
Net "gain": -7 students

I can play your game all day

It's actually 58 in and 51 out so your net gain of 7 is right but your 24-17 is not quite right. Not sure what 'game' you want to play, is it the 'all state player renting a downtown apartment' game or is it another game you are referring to? I will say, try the veal, tip your waitress and i will be here for awhile. Tell Blame hello, we miss him.

Last edited:
24 HS kids out
17 HS kids in

I actually live in, pay taxes in, and work for the school district. I'd like to think the paperwork I received last week with district numbers is accurate.

Are you beating dead horses again? Must be that Maccabees class you took at Regina.

24 HS kids out
17 HS kids in

I actually live in, pay taxes in, and work for the school district. I'd like to think the paperwork I received last week with district numbers is accurate.

Are you beating dead horses again? Must be that Maccabees class you took at Regina.

I just went with the 16-17 numbers that the state put out on their website. When the 17-18 numbers come out I will gladly use those. As far as beating a dead horse you might want to review this thread along with many others of a similar nature and see how the game is played. As always when I am wrong feel free to point it out and I will acknowledge that.

As far as beating a dead horse you might want to review this thread along with many others of a similar nature and see how the game is played. As always when I am wrong feel free to point it out and I will acknowledge that.

"renting an apartment downtown"

By all means expand on this.

Yes, I agree with you on this. Comparing classifications in different sports, with different sharing agreements with different classifications has no merit. Soccer has 3 classifications. Big deal. It really doesn't matter. The argument about a multiplier at least has merit. Regina, and other schools like it, definitely have opportunities that not everyone else has because of geography.

PNation, I appreciate your post-thank you. However, this string started out as being "way too early rankings" and has now turned to Regina, recruiting, private schools, multiplier, etc...

Blah blah blah blah. Again...Regina football is a joke due to playing 1A district football. Half of the conference they play in (River something or other) plays 2A. This isn't opinion. It is fact. 2A would provide much better competition district and playoff wise. But the egos of that staff would never allow it.

Are you saying that hasn't happened?

Feel free to expand on it given you are making a fairly large claim on a public message board. Anyone can be an internet tough guy, but you had better have a name to back it up.

I'll hang up and listen now. Or are you going to answer a question with a question again? Luckily, this time I put you to the cross and said go.

I know that WB has had some interesting stories come out of there the past 5 years. The Giese kid and Koenig kids come to mind. Can you tell us they were completely legal, WBBearsFollower?

As for the CID Regal guy, don't even get us started on you. My son received a recruiting letter from Regina in November 2012. It was stamped November 21, 2012 which was a day after the INA released its' all-state team, if memory serves. Funny that the letter (which my wife had framed and put on the table at his graduation) turned up a week after he was named all-state his junior year in football. We just happen to attend a school with 30 miles of Regina and also attend a church on the east side of Iowa City.

Excerpt from the letter which now sits in the garage collecting dust:

"We would love for you to look into attending our prestigious institution. Your skills would help you excel on the playing field as well as in the classroom. Scholarships are available."

Sit down now. You struck out.

5df41c2dab8a9c2ae9fa05158d6a2142--circus-party-circus-float.jpg

WB brought Koenig in mid basketball season. He left West Liberty and two weeks later was playing playoff basketball for West Branch.
He left an 0-9 West Liberty football team and had a chance to get West Branch to the Dome (but came up a bit short).
He then went on to break the WB long jump record. His sister then showed up as well and led the WB girls basketball team to State for the first time.
But, their parents worked for West Liberty.
Kids 'move' for sports. It happens, and it always will.

Word is that Solon was pushing hard to bring in Cole White.

I know that WB has had some interesting stories come out of there the past 5 years. The Giese kid and Koenig kids come to mind. Can you tell us they were completely legal, WBBearsFollower?

As for the CID Regal guy, don't even get us started on you. My son received a recruiting letter from Regina in November 2012. It was stamped November 21, 2012 which was a day after the INA released its' all-state team, if memory serves. Funny that the letter (which my wife had framed and put on the table at his graduation) turned up a week after he was named all-state his junior year in football. We just happen to attend a school with 30 miles of Regina and also attend a church on the east side of Iowa City.

Excerpt from the letter which now sits in the garage collecting dust:

"We would love for you to look into attending our prestigious institution. Your skills would help you excel on the playing field as well as in the classroom. Scholarships are available."

Sit down now. You struck out.

Congratulations on your son being all state, I know I was proud when my kids achieved at that level. A Catholic school sending a letter to a family that attends a church that is part of the core of that school? Go figure. Was he the only one that got a letter like that? I know that the priest at an east side Iowa City church is pretty open about encouraging parish members to attend Regina. I know my parish is pretty open about promoting Regina. So unfortunately after review by the office in New York I fouled off strike 3 and live to swing again. For you WBB I am not about naming names, others may. You work at the school, you know the open enrollment and how things go there.

Fell right into the trap.

The Koenigs are great friends of ours as we went to HS with the parents. I know full well they lived in the WB district legally. They bought a home there and are full time Bears. Mrs K indeed still teaches at WL and is a wonderful educator. Great kids. Not a single arrogant cell in them.

You are 100% wrong on assuming anything less than the up and up as it pertains to that family.
Pretty sure Giese's lived in a 3BR condo by the HS in WB. I could be wrong. If correct that means they were legally in the WB district.

Was he the only one that got a letter like that? I know that the priest at an east side Iowa City church is pretty open about encouraging parish members to attend Regina. I know my parish is pretty open about promoting Regina. .

That was the only letter we received. I have 3 children who were all fairly successful athletes. He was the only one to receive a letter. He was also the only one who achieved all state.

The letter came from Regina Catholic Education Center. Not the parish.

What you call "promoting" the majority of people call tampering/illegal recruitment. Public schools aren't allowed to write kids out of district and tell them they would excel in athletics and academics if they'd transfer.

Fell right into the trap.

The Koenigs are great friends of ours as we went to HS with the parents. I know full well they lived in the WB district legally. They bought a home there and are full time Bears. Mrs K indeed still teaches at WL and is a wonderful educator. Great kids. Not a single arrogant cell in them.

You are 100% wrong on assuming anything less than the up and up as it pertains to that family.
Pretty sure Giese's lived in a 3BR condo by the HS in WB. I could be wrong. If correct that means they were legally in the WB district.

I have not heard or said anything bad about anyone that has been brought up in these threads. My kids have competed against and interacted with many of the people involved and liked it.
As far as falling into your trap I guess you got me. Good to know that the WL family was living in WB in 2015 when the transfer occurred, that is what you are saying isn't it? Also good that nobody has lived on Orange St. and kept an owner occupied home in the city that was the original school. As far as the letter goes it may have been the year they chose to try that approach or maybe it was just because your son was All State. Public schools may not send letters but they have put up a billboard in a city out of their district to recruit students(not in this area). Regina is pretty open about recruiting as many students as possible, it is a necessity. If the kids are athletes great. The 20% of foreign students in this years senior class didn't contribute much athletically but were recruited as well. Regina recruits any and every way they can, they have to in order to survive.

I have not heard or said anything bad about anyone that has been brought up in these threads. My kids have competed against and interacted with many of the people involved and liked it.
As far as falling into your trap I guess you got me. Good to know that the WL family was living in WB in 2015 when the transfer occurred, that is what you are saying isn't it? Also good that nobody has lived on Orange St. and kept an owner occupied home in the city that was the original school. As far as the letter goes it may have been the year they chose to try that approach or maybe it was just because your son was All State. Public schools may not send letters but they have put up a billboard in a city out of their district to recruit students(not in this area). Regina is pretty open about recruiting as many students as possible, it is a necessity. If the kids are athletes great. The 20% of foreign students in this years senior class didn't contribute much athletically but were recruited as well. Regina recruits any and every way they can, they have to in order to survive.
In 1A..for just football that is. Lol

"Public schools aren't allowed to write kids out of district and tell them they would excel in athletics and academics if they'd transfer."

EIHC, Pretty sure Regina would not turn away any students that is willing to spend tuition dollars at their school, period. I'm sure public schools generally wouldn't turn down admittance of an open enrollment transfer if the opportunity presents itself. Private schools seem to be experiencing a general decline in enrollment. Many people just aren't willing to spend that money. Those who are, are gladly accepted I would assume. I am not sure who is writing letters and who is not so I will not comment on mode of communication. I doubt any school, public or private, does not promote what they have to offer...high ACT scores, AP classes, college credit, opportunities to participate, class size, athletics, music, drama, etc.... No question Regina wants (needs) students sitting in seats and paying tuition or they cease to exist. They also want these students participating in extracurricular activities. Everyone wants to be in a strong school district. Communities market themselves based on this. We know private schools have no districts so, therefore, identify their own target area. Regardless of a multiplier these facts will not change.

CID, as long as Regina is good, this argument will be out there. The next school that is dominant, especially if private, will then be the center of attention. I am sure there are those who accuse WC of recruiting for volleyball and/or basketball. If Pella Christian had won multiple titles, they would get it. Other schools may fit in here also. A similar thread to this will be out next year. Can't we all just get along?!?!?! Sooooo..... the first post was

1. Regina
2. Van Meter
3. West Lyon
4. Pleasantville
5. Panorama
6. Sigourney Keota
7. AHSTW
9. Denver
10. Bellevue

Who has an interesting first week match up? What do you expect/hope to see?

In 1A..for just football that is. Lol

Fairly certain that was explained to you previously, along with examples of other schools that fall into the same situations. But why let that stop you from attempting to cast aspersions.

Ho-hum. This thread is boring. The only talk is about Regina. Quite honestly, I am sick of hearing about Regina. They are good, but they are not the only team in the state. Let's go to a new thread and talk week 1 football.

Maybe because they weren't trying to scam the system like some schools do?

I'm sure I don't fully understand the transfer rules, but I think you have to set out of varsity sports for 90 consecutive school days, unless you move out of your previous district then you are immediately eligible. I'd guess he did most of the days in the spring.

I'm sure I don't fully understand the transfer rules, but I think you have to set out of varsity sports for 90 consecutive school days, unless you move out of your previous district then you are immediately eligible. I'd guess he did most of the days in the spring.

I also believe that he wanted to throw in the spring and it probably 'could have made it work' and used up the days but he was unable to throw.

Ho-hum. This thread is boring. The only talk is about Regina. Quite honestly, I am sick of hearing about Regina. They are good, but they are not the only team in the state. Let's go to a new thread and talk week 1 football.

I am with you, same subject year after year. What are the top matchups this week?

Reactions: Bluejay89
I already started a new thread. Put my games of interest on there. There could be more. Western Christian and Boyden Hull Rock Valley will be interesting on the West. Your Regals and Xavier an obvious East side game to note. Other good ones too. I hear good things coming out of West Liberty. Not sure how improved they are but they seem optimistic. I look for West Branch to be able to handle them. Some other interesting games too.

I could be wrong but I believe the rule is that you must be in a sport for 90 days before you are eligible to compete. After that, you're cleared for all sports. Which is why I was scratching my head wondering why he didn't throw the shot and disc in track or something last spring. Even if he was injured it would be easy to just go out, use up the 90 days, and then throw when you're healthy. I don't believe the Regina O and D lines have anywhere near the depth they used to, so if it's true Cole White won't be eligible for the Xavier and Solon games that's a huge hole to fill for the Regals.

Last edited:

I think Solon plays Mt Vernon this weekend. Not 1A but could still be an interesting area rivalry game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT