2. Van Meter
3. West Lyon
4. Pleasantville
5. Panorama
6. Sigourney Keota
7. AHSTW
9. Denver
10. Bellevue

Regina is going to start these off because of what they have done the last 7 years, and I expect it to continue, lose a lot of front, but also bring back some nice skilled position players. Van Meter lost a couple of nice players off of the defense, but brings back so much. West Lyon should be the class of NW Iowa 1A next year with what they return. Pleasantville should continue with the roll that they are on and over take a Pella Christian team last lost almost everybody. Panorama was in contention for the playoffs behind Van Meter and Madrid last year but was riddled with injuries but brings back a ton of experience because of it. Sigourney Keota should continue to be a solid program. Same with AHSTW. Denver lost beef upfront, but I saw their JV play and was still very good and return some skilled players off of a semifinal team, and Bellevue will be good again, but I don't think as strong a team as ones they will meet in the playoffs.

I know I am missing the defending State champ, but they just lose so much, other than their running back what do they return?

Last edited:
Reactions: mtdew_fever
Looks good PNation.

Regina should have great skill players, but do they have guys to fill in up front?

Looks good PNation.

Regina should have great skill players, but do they have guys to fill in up front?
Regina has some holes to fill but definitely has a nice core coming back. They will need to replace all their receivers but I am sure they will have new athletes to fill these positions. They lose two very talented OL/DL but do return 3 who who anchor the line nicely. With their history of strength and conditioning, I am also sure there is someone who is ready to shine as a junior or senior or perhaps a young up-and-comer that will find a way here. QB, top 2 running backs are back on O. They should be in the mix again. I agree VM, WL, and SK will be solid. I am sure a couple of programs will also enter the race once the season begins.

In D3 ------------

Bellevue is going to drop off big time. They lose Kilburg and their 3 best OL. Oster and Lyons are really good. Just don't see them going 9-0 again. 7-2 is pretty fair. D3 is going to be down on the whole.

My Eagles lose a bunch but have good JV talent. Sarazua, Wille, and White: remember those names.
West Branch loses Lenoch which is a lot for anyone to lose. But they get a healthy Beau Cornwell back at QB and have OL Barnhart back and he's a horse. They were extremely young in '16.
Maq Valley will fall off unless they find an OL to give Tucker some time. He is a good, good athlete.
Jesup is going to be pretty down as well.
North Cedar may be a bit better. Could battle for spot #2.
Durant is going to be down. Then again they are always kinda down. :)
Tipton loses most of their skill kids and best OL. Their JV beat WB's by like 40, so that's promising.

I agree with everything that you put about D3, I still think Bellevue is the best team in the district with the QB coming back, and I believe they had a decent sophomore RB as a backup, they get ranked as the best in a district more than anything else.

I agree that Bellevue will be the best team in that district. To say they will be way down would be wrong.
They started five sophomores on the varsity. I think they only had about six seniors on the team last year. They did lose their running back but have a very good sophomore to take his place. Their quarterback is very good and will be back and a lot of their receiving is back also.
I think the rest of that district will be very average. Most teams lost a lot by looking at quick stats.

I think that they have the top three in the state correct in no order: Regina, Van Meter, and West Lyon.

If Van Meter can get their lines back up.....they have the skilled position players to make another run to the Dome.

Can't wait to see how the season unfolds. There will be a lot of talented teams in 1A this fall. I think it's fair to pick Regina, Van Meter, and West Lyon as the top three on paper.

I have heard that Van Meter is program to watch in future. Heard they will have a lot of talented kids coming up in the next few years.

If Van Meter can get their lines back up.....they have the skilled position players to make another run to the Dome.

Any team with a pulse can make it to the Dome in 1A from the "southern district". Has always been the armpit of 1A football. Not to say VM isn't a quality squad.

Let's just call a spade a spade here: Regina is a HEAVY favorite to win it. They have like every skill position kid back and added 2 transfers from area schools that were 1st or 2nd team all-staters at their other school.

Any team with a pulse can make it to the Dome in 1A from the "southern district". Has always been the armpit of 1A football. Not to say VM isn't a quality squad.

Let's just call a spade a spade here: Regina is a HEAVY favorite to win it. They have like every skill position kid back and added 2 transfers from area schools that were 1st or 2nd team all-staters at their other school.

I read about the Regina free agents, but don't recall names. Who did they pick up again?

Cole White from CCA
*This kid led the ENTIRE STATE OF IOWA with 15 solo sacks and collected 20 total tackles for loss.

Sounds like a nice addition. Regina is the team to beat again this fall even without picking up transfers.

Last edited:
It is utterly ridiculous they play in 1A. What a joke. Their district is a laughingstock

The state sets the districts. It would have been nice to have some local high powered teams in the district but for some reason the state didn't line it up that way.

The state sets the districts. It would have been nice to have some local high powered teams in the district but for some reason the state didn't line it up that way.
High powered teams in 1A is an oxymoron...especially in eastern Iowa. Regina has the option to play up in 2A or even 3A but appear satisfied striking their ego in 1A. Some look at their run as a monumental accomplishment while others see through it.

High powered teams in 1A is an oxymoron...especially in eastern Iowa. Regina has the option to play up in 2A or even 3A but appear satisfied striking their ego in 1A. Some look at their run as a monumental accomplishment while others see through it.

I am not on the board of control of the state, so don't know the in's and out's of the rules. Does a school really have an option as to what class they play in? As far as I know, the state classifies you and that is where you play. In fairness, Regina does play Xavier and Solon, both 3A schools, and those games they at least have some say in who they play. As far as district play goes, not sure what they are supposed to do about it.

I am not on the board of control of the state, so don't know the in's and out's of the rules. Does a school really have an option as to what class they play in? As far as I know, the state classifies you and that is where you play. In fairness, Regina does play Xavier and Solon, both 3A schools, and those games they at least have some say in who they play. As far as district play goes, not sure what they are supposed to do about it.
You can always play up, but not down. Too many egos in that staff to risk state titles by playing up. In terms of playing solon n regina, that is only two games and isn't relevant to the 2A discussion other than it proves they should be in at least 2A...like their other sports already are

You can always play up, but not down. Too many egos in that staff to risk state titles by playing up. In terms of playing solon n regina, that is only two games and isn't relevant to the 2A discussion other than it proves they should be in at least 2A...like their other sports already are

I think you're on target saying they are good enough to play in 2A or 3A. They have won titles in 2A and have beaten the 3A champ in at least one of those years (Solon, I believe). I'm not sure it's accurate to say they should be 2A like in other sports. Other sports only have 4 classes. Football has six. That's not necessarily comparing apples to apples. I'm not sure the coaches are protecting their egos. If they were, they wouldn't jeopardize their winning streak a few years ago by putting Xavier and Solon on the schedule (as they continue to do). I think they have proven they they will take on all comers. They are just good and, therefore, hated. It's no different than any other dynasty, people get sick of them and that is understandable. However, I think they are raising the stakes in 1A football and teams are getting better. 1A teams are getting more diversified, passing more, and spreading the ball around more. It is good to have someone to chase. Western Christian stood up to the challenge. Granted, another private school. However, they didn't back down. They didn't make excuses. They put on the big-boy pants and got the job done.

I will lay this out as simple as i can. In basketball, there are 1a-4a, regina plays in 2a. In baseball, same thing. In football, regina plays 1a or 3 down from 4a so that is the issue. They play tougher conference schedules as well as postseason in other major sports. Some feel they should be in 3a across the board. That is a separate issue. The head scratcher is why regina allows the 1a thing for football when they would likely win 2a. Makes no sense from any angle to play 1a football...especially with their staff

I will lay this out as simple as i can. In basketball, there are 1a-4a, regina plays in 2a. In baseball, same thing. In football, regina plays 1a or 3 down from 4a so that is the issue. They play tougher conference schedules as well as postseason in other major sports. Some feel they should be in 3a across the board. That is a separate issue. The head scratcher is why regina allows the 1a thing for football when they would likely win 2a. Makes no sense from any angle to play 1a football...especially with their staff

Your argument assumes or at least insinuates that no other school has a quality coaching staff. Just because the coaching staff is good, doesn't mean they have to play up. I am guessing Regina would love to play a tougher schedule just as they do other sports. Like other schools, they just don't get the leeway to make their schedule. I just don't see your argument why ANY team should HAVE to play up just because they are good. I get the argument about the multiplier and playing up as that has been discussed quite frequently. However, until it happens, it just isn't worth talking about. I think you are correct though, they could compete quite well in 2A or even 3A. Probably would have won it on many of those years but not all. In the English Premier League in soccer they have what is called relegation. If you finish in the bottom 4, you move down a league. If you finish in the top 4 of the lower league, you move up a league. I don't think this is what you are suggesting but just making a point that this could be said for most of the better teams.

Until this post, I didn't know teams had an option to play up. Are there any Regina fans on the board? Do you know if Regina has ever discussed the possibility of moving up a class? Or maybe 2 classes? CID, your a Regina guy aren't you? If I remember, had a boy playing last year and in previous years. Any input on this?

For the regina clan that claims they don't recruit, can you explain how they added the transfers they did for this fall? Looks like recruiting to me.

For the regina clan that claims they don't recruit, can you explain how they added the transfers they did for this fall? Looks like recruiting to me.

I am not in the "know," but you are using the plural form. How many transfers are we referring to? I have seen above in this thread the kid from CCA. Are there more transferring in this year?

^^^
adding 2 all staters according to GoEagles.

No recruiting here. Most 1A schools get multiple all state athletes to transfer to their school every few years. ;)

I'd like to hear an explanation at how the CCA kid evidently was given less of a transfer penalty due to his HC from last year being fired. This isn't NCAA, so no "transfer LOI" scenarios should be legal.

I will ALWAYS say Regina recruits. Always. They have a metropolitan base of over 100,000 to pool from, yet play schools with 2500 or less population in district and playoffs. #MultiplierNeededNow

Your argument assumes or at least insinuates that no other school has a quality coaching staff. Just because the coaching staff is good, doesn't mean they have to play up. I am guessing Regina would love to play a tougher schedule just as they do other sports. Like other schools, they just don't get the leeway to make their schedule. I just don't see your argument why ANY team should HAVE to play up just because they are good. I get the argument about the multiplier and playing up as that has been discussed quite frequently. However, until it happens, it just isn't worth talking about. I think you are correct though, they could compete quite well in 2A or even 3A. Probably would have won it on many of those years but not all. In the English Premier League in soccer they have what is called relegation. If you finish in the bottom 4, you move down a league. If you finish in the top 4 of the lower league, you move up a league. I don't think this is what you are suggesting but just making a point that this could be said for most of the better teams.

Until this post, I didn't know teams had an option to play up. Are there any Regina fans on the board? Do you know if Regina has ever discussed the possibility of moving up a class? Or maybe 2 classes? CID, your a Regina guy aren't you? If I remember, had a boy playing last year and in previous years. Any input on this?

Your drawn out response lost me. Again, they play in a lower relative class in football than what they do in other sports. The fact they play solon and xavier non district is irrelevant to the district and postseason. Xavier played up to 4a for years. You do have the option. After dominating 1a...a full class lower than their other sports play, it is a joke the school, staff or whatever doesn't move it up to 2a to at least be even with their other sports. I have little respect for their staff as a result

2A in basketball is made up of all 1A football schools and almost all 2A football schools (there are 8 or so that play 3A) in fact there are sometimes even some A football schools that have played 2A and a couple of years ago I know that there was an 8 man school (because of a huge class that snuck through the opposite year of football reclassification) that was 1 extra kid from playing 2A basketball. So your argument that they play 2A in everything else isn't meaningful.

I will say that I am in favor of some sort of multiplier, or reverse multiplier which I think in Iowa may make or sense. But I think that is easier said than done. A school like Regina is in a different boat then someone like Remsen St. Mary's because they are able to pull from a pool of so many kids which is a huge advantage.

^^^
adding 2 all staters according to GoEagles.

No recruiting here. Most 1A schools get multiple all state athletes to transfer to their school every few years. ;)
Where is this information coming from? Again, it has been mentioned the CCA kid (White) so I presume this is correct. Your post indicates that Eagle has said their is a 2nd all-stater which I presume comes from somewhere. However, who is the 2nd kid? Are there more? Eagle or someone else, who are the other recruits being referred to?

2A in basketball is made up of all 1A football schools and almost all 2A football schools (there are 8 or so that play 3A) in fact there are sometimes even some A football schools that have played 2A and a couple of years ago I know that there was an 8 man school (because of a huge class that snuck through the opposite year of football reclassification) that was 1 extra kid from playing 2A basketball. So your argument that they play 2A in everything else isn't meaningful.

I will say that I am in favor of some sort of multiplier, or reverse multiplier which I think in Iowa may make or sense. But I think that is easier said than done. A school like Regina is in a different boat then someone like Remsen St. Mary's because they are able to pull from a pool of so many kids which is a huge advantage.

Yes, I agree with you on this. Comparing classifications in different sports, with different sharing agreements with different classifications has no merit. Soccer has 3 classifications. Big deal. It really doesn't matter. The argument about a multiplier at least has merit. Regina, and other schools like it, definitely have opportunities that not everyone else has because of geography.

PNation, I appreciate your post-thank you. However, this string started out as being "way too early rankings" and has now turned to Regina, recruiting, private schools, multiplier, etc.... In 10 days or so, we'll really have something of substance to talk about. I'd be interested to hear more about Van Meter, West Lyon, and any other team that is excited about their year. Who thinks their team can make a run at a Dome birth? West Branch, Bellevue, Denver, PC, WC, Hinton? Others? Someone is going to elevate themselves and surprise people. Who is it going to be? Any sleepers out there?

Every thread in 1A football ends up being about the public vs paraochial argument

As for contenders I think there are a lot of teams with pieces but not the whole puzzle. VM has skilled players returning but need to find some people up front. West Lyon returns quite a bit and have a great coaching staff it wouldn't surprise me to see them in the finals as well. On the east side to challenge Regina I think SK is that team, I've heard they have a ton of kids out and if they can replace some people of defense they should be very good.

As for a dark horse I'm going to go with OABCIG I'm not sure they have enough to get past teams like AHSTW but I think they will be pretty good

Just some hot takes from the East side -

Sig-Keota: Luke Greiner returns and is a strong athlete. But losing a breakaway guy like Avery Moore is a tough loss for a small school. They are easily the #2 team in district behind Regina

West Branch: has a senior class (in FB) of only 7 kids. While they will get big contributions from All-State 6'6/300 Jacob Barnhart and All state DB Jacob Graves. Losing Luke Lenoch, one of top 10 performing backs in the history of Iowa HS football, is gonna be a team effort to fill the hole. Tanner Lukavsky and Wyatt Goodale (both sophs) look to do that. Beau Cornwell back at QB is a huge lift. WB may be a year away from being very good. This year, 7-2 may be the ceiling.

Regina: They are, without a doubt, the best team in 1A on paper. The Regals return all of their key cogs, including a healthy Volstedt at RB who is an absolute stud. They gained 2 transfers, one of which being Cole White from CCA who was the state leader in solo sacks for ALL OF IOWA. That's impressive. The other is rumored to be an OL.

D3: West Branch will probably be in the mix, but I think Bellevue and keep an eye on Maq Valley as the teams to beat.
D4: Regina easily the top dog. The #2 spot will be SK, but Wilton has enough returning to put up a fight. The Beavers could be in the running for an at-large berth again.

South Winn is another team to keep an eye on. Rodney Schwartzkoff (2036 rushing yards) returns with a majority of his OL. Gonna be a fun team to play later in the season. And by fun I mean tough.

Ok. You are right. Regina should stay in 1A. Playing just the first quarter through all district games makes sense. Carry on

I'd like to hear an explanation at how the CCA kid evidently was given less of a transfer penalty due to his HC from last year being fired. This isn't NCAA, so no "transfer LOI" scenarios should be legal.

I will ALWAYS say Regina recruits. Always. They have a metropolitan base of over 100,000 to pool from, yet play schools with 2500 or less population in district and playoffs. #MultiplierNeededNow

I missed this. What was the lesser penalty? Are you talking days sitting out?

Occasionally 1 or 2 big time players will come to them. They don't seek these players out, or "recruit" them. But they sould imo. Many (and perhaps most) elite parochial programs in other states actively recruit. I don't know why the Regina coaches don't do this, but if I were them I would be seeking out every quality football player within a 25 mile radius of Iowa City with the promise of getting them a college scholarship.

Also, I don't know why Regina charges non-Catholics more to go to the school. If they lowered tuition for non-Catholics they could vastly increase enrollment imo.

Last edited:
Ok. You are right. Regina should stay in 1A. Playing just the first quarter through all district games makes sense. Carry on

I agree that it's stupid Regina plays in 1A. They should be up in 2A at least. There's been some years where they would have been a contender in 4A (2010, 2013).

I agree that it's stupid Regina plays in 1A. They should be up in 2A at least. There's been some years where they would have been a contender in 4A (2010, 2013).

Statistics seem to show that Catholic school enrollment everywhere is dropping. Perhaps all private schools. I'm sure you are correct that if they lowered tuition, they could get more students. I guess you have to charge what you have to charge to pay your bills. Like the state universities, I'm betting they do everything they can not to increase tuition. It's just a fact of life like death and taxes. Many years they could have won 2A, maybe 3A, and do well in 4A. They actually did win in 2A several times. Over the past 10 years, they have been good enough to compete in higher classes. I'm just not sure that will continue to be the case forever. It wasn't that long ago teams were begging to play Regina in football because they were average at best. Those years are not ancient history either. Back to your enrollment point, I hear their numbers are quite low this year. Maybe they will not be as good as many expect. However, they've proven success over a long period of time so nor reason to believe the numbers game hurts them yet. A lot of skill guys are back.

Typical thread, nobody has identified the 2nd all stated, people talking about fairness who can't get their players in the weight room, peoops rambling on about how they play 2A in other sports that really don't understand how the state classifies teams, the multiplier, etc. on and on. It is about time for football to start, good to start seeing kids on the field and hopefully start talking about the games and the players. FYI Regina isn't going to apologize for being good, as far as the transfer he is missing 3 games, I think that is the penalty the state sets, but you probably have heard from a friend whose brothers, cousins, ex boyfriend who knew a guy who said it happened so it must be true. I can't imagine SK can be any good, rural school without a metro area to draw from, the 'experts' on this board say the rules prohibit them from having talented, well coached teams.

as far as the transfer he is missing 3 games, I think that is the penalty the state sets

Just curious, why didn't the allstate transfer play a spring sport? Then he wouldn't have to sit out Regina's two biggest regular season games, Xavier and Solon. I heard he was at Regina last semester. Seems like a huge oversight to me on the part of the player and coaches.

Just curious, why didn't the allstate transfer play a spring sport? Then he wouldn't have to sit out Regina's two biggest regular season games, Xavier and Solon. I heard he was at Regina last semester. Seems like a huge oversight to me on the part of the player and coaches.

Maybe because they weren't trying to scam the system like some schools do?

Reactions: Pinehawk
Typical thread, nobody has identified the 2nd all stated, people talking about fairness who can't get their players in the weight room, peoops rambling on about how they play 2A in other sports that really don't understand how the state classifies teams, the multiplier, etc. on and on. It is about time for football to start, good to start seeing kids on the field and hopefully start talking about the games and the players. FYI Regina isn't going to apologize for being good, as far as the transfer he is missing 3 games, I think that is the penalty the state sets, but you probably have heard from a friend whose brothers, cousins, ex boyfriend who knew a guy who said it happened so it must be true. I can't imagine SK can be any good, rural school without a metro area to draw from, the 'experts' on this board say the rules prohibit them from having talented, well coached teams.
I am fully aware of how it works and also know the Regina football hype is just that. Playing 1A is a joke. They haven't accomplished anything in winning it. The staff may be great coaches but that gets lost when you consider they are winning rec league titles

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT