ADVERTISEMENT

Megan Black

DarkThunder#61

All State
Sep 28, 2005
Back in the state tournament, representing 1A Eddysville-Blakesburg at 106 lbs after winning the district title. She's 9-1 on the year.

I don't believe the Herkelman girl made it this year.

And based on how the pairings system is set up, it appears Black will face Jacob Schmidt (29-18), of Don Bosco in the First Round.

Good for her! Hope she does well! And no, Cassie didn't make it, but she had a tough draw at Districts. She ended up third.

She must be for real. I haven't seen Jimmy Abell wrestle for awhile, but he was pretty solid the last few times that I did. To pin him, she must be tough.

My prediction is a very high placing, we will all witness history this year and I for one am pleased to be able to do this!!

Still not a big fan of a girl wrestling on a boys team. If girls want to wrestle, form their own teams. Boy's can't play volleyball, softball, etc... Just one person's view though.

Joel Northrup: "As a matter of conscience and faith, I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner. It is unfortunate that I have been placed in a situation not seen in most other high school sports in Iowa."

People have their own views on girls wrestling. Read today's Des Moines Register. It will discuss Title IX and why it is ok for her to wrestle on the guys team. I understand the argument with boys and volleyball. The softball one doesn't make sense though. Boys have baseball.

Softball would prepare them for Beer League after high school.
3dgrin.gif

If she places, Iowa wrestling isn't what it use to be. It's amazing to me that a 29 match winner can enter state with 18 losses.

Rooster, you may have hit the nail on the head, I could not believe the # of state qualifiers with more than 15 losses? Many with over 20 losses. Not a good sign. Not many 20 losss qualifiers back in the day.

Regarding the high number of losses for some of the state qualifiers...I know that for at least a few of these kids it has a lot to do with the quality of schedule that they face. There are now several teams that take on the challenge and go to rugged out of state tourneys and tough in-state tourneys where they meet top shelf competition routinely. Then if there is one or two superior kids in their conference/league/city, etc, a given wrestler could easily have 15-20 matches against pretty tough competition.

I say give me a kid who is 30-15 against consistently tough competition v. someone who is 40-5 and has only faced 2-4 tough kids in the whole year. I could name a couple kids right now that have a season record similar to the 30-15 example I gave that are pretty good wrestlers.

She goes 1-2 if she gets by the first round. We could see the first female to win a match at the state tournament. Still not a big fan of girls wrestling guys... just because it's sexiest against guys who can't compete in Volleyball.

Again with the volleyball argument. Boys aren't allowed to play girls volleyball because of demonstratively physical advantages over female volleyball players. What would be fair about your school showing up for a regional final with all females and the other team comes out with two 6'5" male outside hitters to face your 5'11" front line.

Wrestling matches like-sized individuals (except for some heavyweight matches) and with higher body-fat composition rules for female wrestlers, they are at strength disadvangtage against 106/113 pound boys who are carrying an extra six pounds of muscle at scratch weight. That offsets any perceived disadvantage the male wrestler has in terms of holds and his mental approach to wrestling a girl.

Originally posted by paxregis:
Again with the volleyball argument. Boys aren't allowed to play girls volleyball because of demonstratively physical advantages over female volleyball players.
This does not matter one bit.

The fact is, there is no women wrestling in Iowa, so she is allowed to compete on the boys team. There is no men's volleyball, but I guarantee people cry foul if there was a man that wanted to play volleyball. you are already crying foul at just the thought of it.

Its a double standard and sexist any way you slice it.

Boys can't play girls volleyball...in the fall their is football for guys, volleball for girls and cross country for both. Therefore, all is equal. In winter there is baskeball for girls and boys and then wrestling. Not all girls like basketball and grew up in wrestling homes.
Can we be done with this whole topic now?

Also with the Volleyball. There is a standard net height that is followed for the girls. Boys have a higher net height. Therefore they are also unable to compete in that sport. Jaskll there will be people arguing you fall sports as some of the girls are able to play football. The thing with that is that they do not cry about that! Guys don't care that a girl plays football but go crazy when a girl is just flat out better than some of the boys she wrestles. If Megan wanted to play football and was an all-state player, would people be crying over that too?

Prep sports are incredibly sexist. I say we get rid of separate teams for boys and girls and have just one co-ed team per school. Sure, it will be predominately made up of boys, but at least it will be fair and not sexist. Isn't that what it's all about? Being fair!

Correct me if I am wrong, but each governing body of athletics (IAHSAA) has the right to set rules. Sure, in sports that are wide-spread and easily applicable across all states (football) they are easy to come by, although even with football there are different nuances (continuous clock, 50 point rule). However, for some, they are not uniform. Iowa did not have the 215 weight class in wrestling for the longest time while other states did. Some states play 9 innings for baseball, I believe Iowa plays 7. If the IAHSAA doesnt have men's volleyball, there are no set rules/issues regarding net height. That argument holds no water in this type of debate.

Face it. Its sexist that a female can wrestle but a male cannot play volleyball.

No it's not. Get your school to start a male voleyball program. Problem solved.

Basically you're not trying hard enough, soooo.................

This argument could go on and on with valid points on both sides.

I guess it comes down to abiding by the rules that are in play.

Even if I had a daughter who grew up in a wrestling family, I think I would be encouraging her from an early age to explore basketball or work on other sports if she wasn't interested in basketball.

Let me state for the record I could care less if there is a girl in the state tournament; I am all for allowing them to compete. Truthfully, I hope she wins the thing cuz it would be a hell of a story. I am just stating it is a double standard.

Originally posted by dadthencoach:
As I mentioned earlier: Will you guys grow up? There's a girl in State tournament (AGAIN!); live with it!

In your screaming you not only fail to make any valid point but you also fail to understand that those who don't share your view are not won over by "live with it!" Maybe, just maybe you can step back and realize that those who don't believe males and females should wrestle each other actually hold their opinion on more than that girls are made out of sugar and spice and all things nice.

I am sure if the association banned girls from wrestling you would not be okay with "live with it!"

I'm glad we don't have guys playing volleyball.

I'd blow chow if I had to watch a dude running around in the tight little shorts the girls wear.

...come to think of it that might be why the old lady loves to watch the boys sprints in track.

hawks_82, i'll explain it for you so you can understand why this is not sexism. there's this funny little law called Title IX. it says that girls MUST be given the same opportunities as boys, in all things associated with public facilities. this means that all schools must offer a girls' equivalent sport(football and volleyball occur at the same time, so they qualify) or let girls compete in the boys' sport. there is no simultaneous girls' sport matching up to wrestling. this means, to live within the letter of the law, girls must be allowed to wrestle on boys' teams. it's not sexism. it's the law. they don't let girls wrestle, the IaHSAA gets sued and loses. the law doesn't say they have to let boys play a sport if it doesn't exist as a separate sport for boys.

now, the best solution would be if there were enough interest, for them to do as Texas has done and start up girls' wrestling programs, where they can be supported with enough athletes. then the girls wrestle each other and people don't have to whine about how girls get to compete in boys' sports, but boys can't do the same.

Man I hope Megan gets no less that 4th, she is just that good and it does not not mean that the quality of wrestling is low, it means that she is just that good
GO MEGAN KICK BUTT YOU ARE A WONDERFUL YOUNG LADY AND THE MEEKS FAMILY IS PULLING FOR YOU

Of course this is sexism. Whiny sexism. You guys that keep saying, "Ooooooh, let the boys play volleyball, oooooh," are trying really hard to hide the fact that you're afraid of the fact that a girl is at State, just like last year. There's nothing unfair about it, other than you 19th-century blockheads trying to find a problem with it. So, I repeat once again, grow up (there is that not screaming?)!

Good luck tonight, Megan.

Originally posted by miille83:
hawks_82, i'll explain it for you so you can understand why this is not sexism. there's this funny little law called Title IX. it says that girls MUST be given the same opportunities as boys, in all things associated with public facilities. this means that all schools must offer a girls' equivalent sport(football and volleyball occur at the same time, so they qualify) or let girls compete in the boys' sport. there is no simultaneous girls' sport matching up to wrestling. this means, to live within the letter of the law, girls must be allowed to wrestle on boys' teams. it's not sexism. it's the law. they don't let girls wrestle, the IaHSAA gets sued and loses. the law doesn't say they have to let boys play a sport if it doesn't exist as a separate sport for boys.

now, the best solution would be if there were enough interest, for them to do as Texas has done and start up girls' wrestling programs, where they can be supported with enough athletes. then the girls wrestle each other and people don't have to whine about how girls get to compete in boys' sports, but boys can't do the same.
Really? You are going to try to play the Title IX card? One of the most blatantly misapplied laws ever?

Yeah ok. Good call. Again, I repeat, I have no problem with her competing. But to pretend like everything is equal because she is allowed to compete is shortsighted
This post was edited on 2/16 6:25 PM by hawks_82

hawks_82... you hope she wins it? Do you realize what that would do to one of the "toughest" state tournaments in the country. We would be laughed at by PA MINNY ILL.

Champ. Round 1 - Megan Black (Eddyville-Blakesburg) 10-1 won by major decision over Jacob Schmit (Don Bosco, Gilbertville) 29-19 (Maj 10-0)

Congrats..!!

Originally posted by IAHAWK123:
hawks_82... you hope she wins it? Do you realize what that would do to one of the "toughest" state tournaments in the country. We would be laughed at by PA MINNY ILL.
So? We'll just beat them like we do every year. And after Cael fails at his experiment turning PSU into a power Iowa will take care of them too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT