ADVERTISEMENT

Juan Harris - North Fayette?

If it seems as if more kids are transferring, it is because they are. If an athlete transfers to a small school it is obviously noticeable. In larger schools, it's not unusual for six or eight or more new students to show up each year. Some of them are athletes. People move, get divorced, change jobs, are bullied, just don't get along with teammates, and many other reasons. As long as the rules are followed, there is nothing wrong with it. It's not going away.

Interesting point. I wonder if it is true? I mean, is there a way we/I (well, BCMOORE?) could check? Didn't someone link some data here a while back about the percentage of students enrolled from out of district? Did that have transfer data too?

Interesting point. I wonder if it is true? I mean, is there a way we/I (well, BCMOORE?) could check? Didn't someone link some data here a while back about the percentage of students enrolled from out of district? Did that have transfer data too?

It doesn't have transfer data, it is just open enrolled students. Some kids open enroll their entire time in school, some just for athletic reasons, tough to determine the motivation, we do know it is far more prevelent than private schools recruits.

It doesn't have transfer data, it is just open enrolled students. Some kids open enroll their entire time in school, some just for athletic reasons, tough to determine the motivation, we do know it is far more prevelent than private schools recruits.

So kids that open enroll their entire time in school is FAR more prevalent than private schools recruit? That's a new one to everybody

So kids that open enroll their entire time in school is FAR more prevalent than private schools recruit? That's a new one to everybody

You are arguing that open enrollment is less prevalent than the kids being recruited by private schools? in a technical sense you are correct because every student is recruited to a private school in some way shape or form. So on that technicality good point. My inference is that open enrollment for athletics is far more common in public schools than the occasional 'recruited athlete' at private schools that gets all the 'multiplier' crowd in a tizzy.

I disagree with you as well on open enrollment for athletics. Big time. But I figured we wouldn't agree on it. I am also not sure what open enrollment has anything, anything at all to do with Juan Harris decommitting from Iowa.

But yes, some families open enroll for athletic purposes. Some attend private schools for athletic purposes. It really doesn't bother me one way or the other. I raise my eyebrows when parents say they are transferring for academic reasons, but I lower them back down relatively quickly.

I disagree with you as well on open enrollment for athletics. Big time. But I figured we wouldn't agree on it. I am also not sure what open enrollment has anything, anything at all to do with Juan Harris decommitting from Iowa.

But yes, some families open enroll for athletic purposes. Some attend private schools for athletic purposes. It really doesn't bother me one way or the other. I raise my eyebrows when parents say they are transferring for academic reasons, but I lower them back down relatively quickly.

It is safe to say that we agree to disagree on many subjects. I can't wrap my mind around how you can look across this state and think that athletic open enrollment at public schools is smaller than the athletic recruiting going on at private schools. But that is the nature of message board discussion. As far as the Juan Harris and how this subject applies makelovenotwar asked a question about the open enrollment aspect.

I understand who asked the question. I will just say this, it amazes me that you feel there are schools out there where a higher percentage of student athletes on a sports teams who are open enrollees with the primary goal of sports compared to students who attend private schools for the primary reason of sports.

If there is a small school getting such an advantage from open enrollment, they must be doing it all wrong then because they haven't caught up to the advantages of private schools yet.

I understand who asked the question. I will just say this, it amazes me that you feel there are schools out there where a higher percentage of student athletes on a sports teams who are open enrollees with the primary goal of sports compared to students who attend private schools for the primary reason of sports.

If there is a small school getting such an advantage from open enrollment, they must be doing it all wrong then because they haven't caught up to the advantages of private schools yet.

Be amazed then, watch the state wrestling tournament some time, there have been more kids at Iowa City West in one year of wrestling than Regina has probably had in a decade. And yes that applies to the small schools in wrestling as well. Just because you may not hear of it, acknowledge it or believe it doesn't mean it isn't happening. Heck it is far more prevalent in the 20 miles around Regina than it is at Regina. Your bias in this discussion is clouding your ability to recognize the reality of the situation.

As far as the subject at hand goes the unsubstantiated rumor is the staff had a couple of requests of Harris and he chose a different route.

Name me multiple OE kids from the Iowa City West wrestling team who do not live in the Iowa City School District. I doubt you can come up with more than what I can come up with who attend private schools for wrestling. Guaranteed. Same for football. My guess is you are confusing open enrollment with change of residence transfer.

Your claim, not backed by facts, appears to be heavily clouded by your bias. You have failed to amaze me.

And the OE subject came about by the Iowa staff making requests to Juan? Again, not connecting the dots here.

Good riddens!!! No one should commit until you are 100% sure! I know Decommiting happens all the time but 3 times throws up red flags all over the place. I would think KF and staff have moved on from this kid! I wish him well but i dont think he will be playin in Kinnick on saturdays unless for another team!

Absolutely. Comes off as he's a princess who just loves being courted.

Reactions: FBisLife5309
Name me multiple OE kids from the Iowa City West wrestling team who do not live in the Iowa City School District. I doubt you can come up with more than what I can come up with who attend private schools for wrestling. Guaranteed. Same for football. My guess is you are confusing open enrollment with change of residence transfer.

Your claim, not backed by facts, appears to be heavily clouded by your bias. You have failed to amaze me.

And the OE subject came about by the Iowa staff making requests to Juan? Again, not connecting the dots here.

Ah the beloved 'change of residence' transfer concept, let me get going on some research, feel free to present your facts I would be interested to see who attend private schools just for wrestling. My point was for Regina so feel free to start there.

As far as connecting the dots the unsubstantiated rumor is that Juan was asked to attend an Iowa camp and be under 400, no idea if that is the case but it has been mentioned by several people and even 1-2 who may have some insights on the inner workings.

So isn't ICW not allowing OE because the school is full? I think the West twins looked at OE during 8th grade and were denied.
In wrestling the programs South of I-80 that get at lot of OE or CRT are Mediapolis, Albia, and Assumption to name a few.

There are others in other parts of the state. I don't follow wrestling outside of our area to keep tabs on this.

Reactions: rkhemp
There is a whole wrestling line up at Don Bosco for one. Many for Assumption. Why direct your point about Regina wrestling or wrestling in general? This is a football board. Should we talk football?

Again, I understand people with insight believe Iowa asked somethings of Juan. However, I am having trouble connecting the dots on how it turned into an attack on open enrollment especially when said athlete is not open enrolled to his school.

Reactions: Cyclone1968
There is a whole wrestling line up at Don Bosco for one. Many for Assumption. Why direct your point about Regina wrestling or wrestling in general? This is a football board. Should we talk football?

Again, I understand people with insight believe Iowa asked somethings of Juan. However, I am having trouble connecting the dots on how it turned into an attack on open enrollment especially when said athlete is not open enrolled to his school.

So the entire lineup at Bosco is just there for wrestling? Guessing that might be a little over the top.

Missed where I attacked open enrollment, feel free to share that part. I have responded to things posted. Football just because of the numbers would lean towards OE on this front as well. The examples I listed were West and Regina, you asked for specifics on West and then don't want to limit it to Regina? Perhaps it doesn't fit your narrative. Par for the course. Are Tiffin and Parnell in IC district? We can keep it to football though, fire away.

Go ahead and provide specifics. You threw West out there. Fire away. Tell me about this phenomenon at West and their massive OE influx for football. And as for Bosco, there is not another program in the state whose wrestling lineup is filled with more wrestlers who attend that school with wrestling as a primary focus.

You have claimed OE for sports is by far more prevalent than attending private schools for sports. Something you just can't back up with facts

But I am done talking about open enrollment here since it has zero to do with Juan Harris's recruitment, and zero to do with him at NF. I am sure we will rehash it down the road in another thread

So isn't ICW not allowing OE because the school is full? I think the West twins looked at OE during 8th grade and were denied.
In wrestling the programs South of I-80 that get at lot of OE or CRT are Mediapolis, Albia, and Assumption to name a few.

There are others in other parts of the state. I don't follow wrestling outside of our area to keep tabs on this.
Don't know what your definition of a lot is, but Mepo does not get a lot of open enrollment in wrestling nor just for athletics.

Doesn't Mepo have a pretty high OE rate for their overall enrollment with a lot of kids coming for Burlington same with West Burlington, Danville, etc.

Doesn't Mepo have a pretty high OE rate for their overall enrollment with a lot of kids coming for Burlington same with West Burlington, Danville, etc.
All of the surrounding schools get students from Burlington. I would say a majority of Mepo's OE is in the elementary school system. The recent high school athletes were there all 4 years or longer. Morning Sun kids don't count as they are part of sharing agreement not OE. Morning Sun kids choose between Mepo, Wapello and Winfield-Mt. Union, it's been that way since 1990-91 school year.

Reactions: FBisLife5309
Back to the original thread topic...I am hearing that Harris won't be at NFV for the upcoming (his senior) season. Going back to Wisconsin?

IRON DOC is back and invites one and all to open enroll to West Hancock in Britt, Iowa!

You won't find a better combination of Academics and Athletics anywhere in the Upper Midwest.

Tell the Office that "Iron Doc sent you".:D

Reactions: Sev393
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT