ADVERTISEMENT

Juan Harris - North Fayette?

SPOONER

All State
Jul 15, 2001
How does this huge (6-3, 350 lb) lineman with several D1 offers magically end up in West Union via Chicago and Wisconsin? Doesn't sound like he's eligible...yet. Sounds fishy.

North Fayette Valley is public school therefore Harris could NOT have been recruited. Recruiting's only for private schools.
laugh.r191677.gif

I have not heard of this kid. Looked up his Rivals profile. Looks like he would be a beast playing 2-A football in Iowa.

West Union being the Mecca of D-1 prospects, if you seriously think there's something going on, you have a far great imagination than I.

Regardless, why NFV in West Union, IA? Nothing against the town, school, or team, but it just seems to be an odd choice.

He moved to West Union to live with his dad, who has lived in West Union for a while. He won't be eligible for a few more weeks, but he will play for NFV this year.

Originally posted by SPOONER:
How does this huge (6-3, 350 lb) lineman with several D1 offers magically end up in West Union via Chicago and Wisconsin? Doesn't sound like he's eligible...yet. Sounds fishy.

Really??? Get back to me when you have a 4A AD losing his job in a bookie scandal, then get hired at a 2A school 30 miles away to the same job and assistant FB and his buddies in Boone make his kid eligible immediately because they are, "looking for a home in the district" yet never move.

Originally posted by DJinIA:
West Union being the Mecca of D-1 prospects, if you seriously think there's something going on, you have a far great imagination than I.
Though I did say it somewhat facetiously, it would hardly be unprecedented. We have a couple of highly regarded twin wrestlers who "magically" showed up at a rather pedestrian 2A high school program last year.

I am seriously concerned this kid will hurt someone or someones this year.

Why would he not be eligible now, and if he isn't because of the "transfer" rule, then how is he going to be eligible later this season? If he moved into a new district, he's good to go now. If he transferred, but hasn't moved, he's out for a semester. So either way, your comment doesn't add up. Is he ineligible for another reason?
Originally posted by iahawkfan88:
He moved to West Union to live with his dad, who has lived in West Union for a while. He won't be eligible for a few more weeks, but he will play for NFV this year.

Originally posted by DJinIA:
Though I did say it somewhat facetiously, it would hardly be unprecedented. We have a couple of highly regarded twin wrestlers who "magically" showed up at a rather pedestrian 2A high school program last year.

I am seriously concerned this kid will hurt someone or someones this year.
So this kid shouldn't play because he MIGHT hurt someone? Are you proposing a size or talent limit be added to 2A football? In other words if you are too big and talented you shouldn't be allowed to play... makes sense.

smallcenter,

Just because you move from one place to another to live and move in with one of your divorced parents DOES NOT mean you are eligible to play. Otherwise, what's to stop a kid from moving back and forth with each parent depending on the season if one school has a better program. I suggest you go read the actual transfer rules in the IAHSAA handbook. It's lengthy but it may help you understand, rather than coming on here posting half-truths

There are plenty of variable s that come in to play here. IAHSAA must use due diligence to make sure that the transfer is legit, and this usually takes a few weeks. So let's hold off on the speculation and actually let the transfer run it's course. Just love how everyone thinks they know what the funk is going on and really have no clue.
Originally posted by smallcenter:
Why would he not be eligible now, and if he isn't because of the "transfer" rule, then how is he going to be eligible later this season? If he moved into a new district, he's good to go now. If he transferred, but hasn't moved, he's out for a semester. So either way, your comment doesn't add up. Is he ineligible for another reason?
Originally posted by iahawkfan88:

Originally posted by navyrules:

So this kid shouldn't play because he MIGHT hurt someone? Are you proposing a size or talent limit be added to 2A football? In other words if you are too big and talented you shouldn't be allowed to play... makes sense.
Weird. I reread my post twice and I don't see where I ever said he shouldn't play. Quality fake outrage though. Well done.

Weird. I reread my post twice and I don't see where I ever said he shouldn't play. Quality fake outrage though. Well done.
Not outraged, just amused at your 'serious concern' for the health of 2A players that would have to play against him if he becomes eligible.

Not outraged, just amused at your 'serious concern' for the health of 2A players that would have to play against him if he becomes eligible.

A 350 plus lb kid who benches 400 lbs...it doesn't give you pause to have him line up against 150 pounders?

A 350 plus lb kid who benches 400 lbs...it doesn't give you pause to have him line up against 150 pounders?
Doesn't give me pause for one second actually. Football has always been and always will be a 'survival of the fittest'/smartest game.

If a kid is a 150 lb OL/DL 'lining up' against Juan Harris, most likely they are tough/smart enough to know how to play when being physically outmatched, because they have been doing it all their football life. If not, I guess the team can forfeit because they are afraid of getting hurt, that's just the way it is.

There are kids physically outmatched at every level of football in this state. It's happened countless times before and it will happen again. This would not be unprecedented in the least bit. I watched Nate Meier play 8 man football and he was an absolute beast. I watched Robert Gallery play at East Buc in 1A. I watched Jared Devries play at Aplington in 2A. There are dozens more examples to cite if you would like me to, both here in Iowa, and in small towns across the country. Basically kids either get out of the way, or try to step up and make a play. That's the reality of the game, you live with the outcome.

Reads to me like he's eligible now. Unless the "expert" navyrules would show that there is some article in here that states otherwise.

36.15(3) General transfer rule. A student who transfers from a school in another state or country or from one
member or associate member school to another member or associate member school, shall be ineligible to compete
in interscholastic athletics for a period of 90 consecutive school days, as defined in 281-Subrule 12.1(256), exclusive
of summer enrollment, unless one of the exceptions listed in paragraph 36.15(3) “a” applies. The period of ineligibility
applies only to varsity level contests and competitions. (“Varsity” means the highest level of competition offered by
one school or school district against the highest level of competition offered by an opposing school or school district.)
The student will become eligible at 4:00 PM on the 90th day. In ruling upon the eligibility of transfer students, the
executive board shall consider the factors motivating student changes in residency. Unless otherwise provided in
these rules, a student intending to establish residency must show that the student is physically present in the district
for the purpose of making a home and not solely for school or athletic purposes.
a. Exceptions. The Executive Officer or Executive Board shall consider and apply the following exceptions in formally
or informally ruling upon the eligibility of a transfer student and may make eligibility contingent upon proof that the
student has been in attendance in the new school for at least ten school days:
(1) Upon contemporaneous change in parental residence, a student is immediately eligible if the student transfers to
the new district of residence or to an accredited nonpublic member or associate member school located in the new
school district of residence. In addition, if with a contemporaneous change in parental residence, the student had
attended an accredited nonpublic member or associate member school immediately prior to the change in parental
residence, the student may have immediate eligibility if the student transfers to another accredited nonpublic member
or associate member school.
(2) If the student is attending in a school district as a result of a whole-grade sharing agreement between the
student’s resident district and the new school district of attendance, the student is immediately eligible.
(3) A student who has attended high school in a district other than where the student’s parent(s) resides, and who
subsequently returns to live with the student’s parent(s) becomes immediately eligible in the parent’s resident district.
(4) Pursuant to Iowa Code Section 256.46, a student whose residence changes due to any of the following
circumstances is immediately eligible provided the student meets all other eligibility requirements in these rules and
those set by the school of attendance:
1. Adoption.
2. Placement in foster or shelter care.
3. Participation in a foreign exchange program recognized by the school of attendance.
4. Placement in a juvenile correction facility.
-2014-2015 HANDBOOK 28-. Participation in a substance abuse program.
6. Participation in a mental health program.
7. Court decree that the student is a ward of the state or of the court.
8. The child is living with one of the child’s parents as a result of divorce, separation, death, or other change in the
child’s parents’ marital relationship, or pursuant to other court-ordered decree or order of custody.
(5) A transfer student who attends in a member or associate member school or school that is a party to a cooperative
student participation agreement, as defined in rule 36.20(280), with the member or associate member school the
student previously attended is immediately eligible in the new district to compete in those interscholastic athletic
activities covered by the cooperative agreement.
(6) Any student whose parents change district of residence but who remains in the original district without interruption
in attendance continues to be eligible in the member or associate member school of attendance.
(7) A special education student whose attendance center changes due to a change in placement agreed to by the
district of residence is eligible in either the resident district or the district of attendance, but not both.
(8) In any transfer situation not provided for elsewhere in this chapter, the Executive Board shall exercise its
administrative authority to make any eligibility ruling which it deems to be fair and reasonable. The Executive Board
shall consider the motivating factors for the student transfer. The determination shall be made in writing with the
reasons for the determination clearly delineated.
b. In ruling upon the transfer of students who have been emancipated by marriage or have reached the age of
majority, the Executive Board shall consider all circumstances with regard to the transfer to determine if it is
principally for school or athletic purposes, in which case participation shall not be approved.
c. A student who participates in the name of a member or associate member school during the summer following
eighth grade is ineligible to participate in the name of another member or associate member school in the first 90
consecutive school days of ninth grade unless a change of residence has occurred after the student began
participating in the summer.
d. A school district that has more than one high school in its district shall set its own eligibility policies regarding

intradistrict transfers.
This post was edited on 9/14 4:41 PM by smallcenter

smallcenter,

Not claiming to be an expert, but allow me paraphrase a few items for you:

In ruling upon the eligibility of transfer students,
the executive board shall consider the factors motivating student changes
in residency. Unless otherwise provided in these rules, a student intending
to establish residency must show that the student is physically present in the
district for the purpose of making a home and not solely for school for
athletic purposes.

a. Exceptions. The Executive Officer or Executive Board shall
consider and apply the following exceptions in formally or informally
ruling upon the eligibility of a transfer student and may make eligibility contingent upon proof that the student
has been in attendance in the new school for at LEAST TEN SCHOOL DAYS.

So regardless of whether you think he may be ineligible or not, the IAHSAA will
take the proper steps and use protocol to determine his eligibility and then
issue their decision. They have the power to make any school wait ten school
days to make sure that the transfer is legit, it would seem that they are doing
this. Not unheard of, in fact, not even unusual.

(4) Pursuant to Iowa Code Section 256.46, a student whose residence changes due to any of the following
circumstances is immediately eligible provided the student meets all other eligibility requirements in these rules and

8. The child is living with one of the child's parents as a result of divorce, separation, death, or other change in the
child's parents' marital relationship, or pursuant to other court-ordered decree or order of custody.

So this doesn't have any bearing?

Has there been ten days of school at NFV? Did the kid move in after the school year started?

Interestingly enough, I don't know the kid, hadn't heard of him, and I don't really care if he's eligible or not. I'm simply suggesting that him becoming eligible in the middle of the season due to transfer is not something we see that often around here.

Buuut, watching navyrules gets butthurt and high and mighty about this is actually quite entertaining.

Originally posted by MitchL:

Some really good bloodlines with this Harris kid. His uncle is the former all-pro lineman for the NFL Bears.
That's pretty impressive. Wish him luck. Always fun to have NE Iowa kids excel. Hopefully we will all get the chance to cheer for him on Saturdays and Sundays a few years down the road.

8. The child is living with one of the child's parents as a result of divorce, separation, death, or other change in the
child's parents' marital relationship, or pursuant to other court-ordered decree or order of custody.

So this doesn't have any bearing?

Has there been ten days of school at NFV? Did the kid move in after the school year started?

Interestingly enough, I don't know the kid, hadn't heard of him, and I don't really care if he's eligible or not. I'm simply suggesting that him becoming eligible in the middle of the season due to transfer is not something we see that often around here.

Buuut, watching navyrules gets butthurt and high and mighty about this is actually quite entertaining.
#8. does have bearing, but as was stated before the IAHSAA reserves the right to review any of these and because Harris did move in after school started (from what I hear his first day of school was September 8th) it would appear that they are making him wait at least 10 days.

NFV has had 10 days of school according to their school website, .

Finally, I will remind you that is was you who came into this thread with the 'high and mighty' stance by professing to know the transfer rule and telling another poster that their comment 'doesn't add up'. So, I merely pointed out what the IAHSAA protocol was in a transfer such as this, which is in fact the truth. So, if that is 'butthurt' then I guess you got me there, glad I could be of entertainment value for you.

Originally posted by MitchL:

Some really good bloodlines with this Harris kid. His uncle is the former all-pro lineman for the NFL Bears.
This too, is up for debate. Check out this twitter conversation between Juan and Tommie, where Juan apologizes to Tommie for saying Tommie is his uncle. It appears to be Juan's old twitter account, he has since created a new one. Not saying that he is or isn't Tommie's nephew just an interesting conversation.

https://twitter.com/juanharris91/status/363190846583083011

Does he kick extra points? That would help NFV the most. Let the kid play. Maybe his Dad got a job at the bank and relocated. Every school has benefitted and suffered from kids leaving and joining. But the games will be played on the field. How about those kids dedicated to the program and now pushed out of playing time? Doesn't go over well...

He was likely responding to iahawkfan88 who said he would be out a few more weeks. Navyrules you are the one who is being obtuse. Why try to belittle a guy who is making an accurate statement as if you are the expert. Context always trumps ignorance.

Originally posted by ORSKY1:

He was likely responding to iahawkfan88 who said he would be out a few more weeks. Navyrules you are the one who is being obtuse. Why try to belittle a guy who is making an accurate statement as if you are the expert. Context always trumps ignorance.
I understand he was responding to iahawkfan88, but his statement was not accurate so I thought he may like to know what is accurate that's all.

Navyboy, my comment wasn't inaccurate. Once again, you seem to be the all knowing, but the rules have shown that my first statement was correct. Again I ask, what makes you the expert?

Navyboy, my comment wasn't inaccurate. Once again, you seem to be the all knowing, but the rules have shown that my first statement was correct. Again I ask, what makes you the expert?
Here is what you posted:

"Why would he not be eligible now, and if he isn't because of the "transfer" rule, then how is he going to be eligible later this season? If he moved into a new district, he's good to go now. If he transferred, but hasn't moved, he's out for a semester. So either way, your comment doesn't add up. Is he ineligible for another reason?"

You said he should either be eligible to play now or not until the end of the semester. That is, in fact, not accurate. Because the state can delay the decision by imposing the 10 day waiting period. You didn't include this in your post.

After that you ended the post with a question. So I answered it by pointing out that the state can use protocol and then later pointed out that they can institute a 10 day waiting period, which you didn't include in your initial assessment of the situation. I'm not an 'expert' but I will say I have dealt with many of these situations before and it's not unusual for the state to do this. Sorry if I hurt your feelings or pride, but I'm just trying to clarify why there seems to be a delay in this case. That's all. Now please continue to ridicule me.... good day sir.

There is really no point in arguing and I apologize for starting an argument.

I guess stay tuned for NFV vs Waukon on 9/26.

Sorry iahawkfan88, I should have let it go myself. I look forward to some awesome match ups in district 3

It'll be interesting to see how he does. Add me in as someone that will be following the NFV starting later on this month.

As for the comment about not letting him play because he's huge and he'll hurt someone? Ha! He might hurt someone, but the state of Iowa has had lots of big players that could inflict pain on the opposing team.

Aplington-Parkersburg comes to mind with their list of offensive lineman that went onto the D-I level and NFL....not to mention having Jared DeVries (future NFL DE) as their RB. I can't say I would have wanted to try tackling him.

I may be wrong so please do not jump down my throat but I do believe he played JV (yes I said JV) last night on defense for NFV. I spoke to some folks that were at the game and they made the comment to me to that regard.

Originally posted by gonorse92:
I may be wrong so please do not jump down my throat but I do believe he played JV (yes I said JV) last night on defense for NFV. I spoke to some folks that were at the game and they made the comment to me to that regard.
I can't tell you whether he played in the JV game or not, I have no idea. However, I can tell you that the IAHSAA rules reads:

The period of ineligibility
applies only to varsity level contests and competitions. ("Varsity" means the highest level of competition offered by
one school or school district against the highest level of competition offered by an opposing school or school district.)

So, even if he is not eligible to play varsity, NFV is within their right to play him in a JV contest. (Not getting into whether it was a wise choice to do so)

Yes navyboy, we know. Nobody was questioning that. But I appreciate you clearing that up.

Glad he's getting a chance to participate in the great game of football. Still looking forward to a ton of AWESOME match ups in district 3.

This post was edited on 9/16 9:32 PM by smallcenter

Yes navyboy, we know. Nobody was questioning that. But I appreciate you clearing that up.

Glad he's getting a chance to participate in the great game of football. Still looking forward to a ton of AWESOME match ups in district 3.

This post was edited on 9/16 9:32 PM by smallcenter
Hey man I was not trying to start anything, just thought some may not understand why he could play JV but not Varsity. Sorry I rub you the wrong way in every post I author, certainly not my intent.

From his Twitter account:

"Coming back on Friday. #NFV"

I don't like to assume, but I take it this means he's going to be playing tomorrow night. If someone more connected in the area can correct me on that, go ahead.

From his Twitter account:

"Coming back on Friday. #NFV"

I don't like to assume, but I take it this means he's going to be playing tomorrow night. If someone more connected in the area can correct me on that, go ahead.

Originally posted by mtdew_fever:
It'll be interesting to see how he does. Add me in as someone that will be following the NFV starting later on this month.

As for the comment about not letting him play because he's huge and he'll hurt someone? Ha!

Who made this comment?

Did he play on Friday?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT