ADVERTISEMENT

Juan Harris - North Fayette?

Originally posted by cidhawkeye:
Not sure how him landing at Regina got thrown in. I believe last year NFV JV put a serious beat down on Regina, don't know who all played in that game but that doesn't happen often.
Back to the comment at hand... I remember a discussion on this board last year about the NFV-Regina JV game. It was made clear by both Regina and NFV people that NFV JV totally dominated Regina's JV last year. NFV did not play a single upperclassman. The final score was 42-6 and several IC Regina people even admitted it wasn't even that close. So if Regina is a dominant force the next two years that is an amazing turnaround.

Navy, I wasn't at that game nor did I have anyone play in that game. The scouting report I got was NFV beat Regina like a drum that day. Kept it pretty simple offensively and just jammed it down their throat. So I would guess NFV will be strong the next two years. I might not put all of my eggs for Regina's future into that one games results. They may have some players coming back next year that can play the game some. During this run I am not sure if Regina has even had an undefeated JV season, they do some unique things at that level that are designed for the following years of varsity action.

I didn't mean to insinuate that JV game was a complete indicator of Regina's future. I obviously know better. It wasn't that NFV won the game, it was the convincing, dominating fashion that got my attention.

As far as the "unique things designed for following years of varsity action" comment goes... I'd be interested in what you meant by this, and would like give you a chance to clarify what sounds like, on the surface, to be a pretty arrogant statement.

I apologize if that statement came off as arrogant, definitely wasn't intended to be. To clarify some and I hope I don't say it wrong is by the time kids get to JV there is a pretty decent idea of who can do what at what positions and what plays they can execute. What they do is move kids to a different position during a game to see how they respond to a new position, maybe playing a freshman earlier and more often to see how they respond to a higher level of competition. It may make winning more difficult but they feel in the long run it is beneficial. Similar theory goes into play calling, they can get into games where they know based on personnel they can run a base set of plays well and they may not run them very often, instead working on some plays they may need next week or plays that tests some of those younger players in new positions. I am sure all schools do this to some degree, they just seem to do quite a bit of it. In the NFV game last year they figured out the 4 plays they could run at will and that's what they did and they physically dominated Regina with those plays and piled up a big victory. Would that have been a good time to work on some other things? That's a coaches decision. I didn't mean to sound arrogant and hope this helps. If not ask away and hopefully I can give better answers.

I apologize if that statement came off as arrogant, definitely wasn't intended to be. To clarify some and I hope I don't say it wrong is by the time kids get to JV there is a pretty decent idea of who can do what at what positions and what plays they can execute. What they do is move kids to a different position during a game to see how they respond to a new position, maybe playing a freshman earlier and more often to see how they respond to a higher level of competition. It may make winning more difficult but they feel in the long run it is beneficial. Similar theory goes into play calling, they can get into games where they know based on personnel they can run a base set of plays well and they may not run them very often, instead working on some plays they may need next week or plays that tests some of those younger players in new positions. I am sure all schools do this to some degree, they just seem to do quite a bit of it. In the NFV game last year they figured out the 4 plays they could run at will and that's what they did and they physically dominated Regina with those plays and piled up a big victory. Would that have been a good time to work on some other things? That's a coaches decision. I didn't mean to sound arrogant and hope this helps. If not ask away and hopefully I can give better answers.
Fair enough... however, I would say that nearly all schools do a variation of what you said at the 9th/JV level. I'm not from NFV, but your comment about '4 plays' is an ill-disguised shot on what you think of the NFV coaching staff. What's to say that NFV didn't use different personnel, schemes of blocking, that made it appear to only be four plays? Just because it's a running attack, that doesn't mean there is not a lot of technique, strategy, thinking, or on the fly adjustments involved. Working on 'other things' doesn't have to be throwing it when you have had success running it or vice versa. It can also be experimenting with what call works best depending on Regina's defensive scheme, personnel, or situation presented by down distance or many other factors. Correct?

Let me be clear, I think that Regina is extremely well coached, has players that work hard, and plays the right way. I respect them for that. I have enjoyed watching them in the dome over the years and their results have been tremendous. Their players and staff deserve all the accolades they receive. That being said, and forgive me if I come off as being obstinate. But it would seem like you are implying that Regina has the market cornered on the correct way of how to improve JV players, and get them ready for the varsity level which smacks of conceit.

So now I have been arrogant and conceited? I don't believe I said they had the market cornered, nor did I say that NFV didn't work on anything different. They did run a very small variation of plays in that game, there were a lot of first and tens so their down and distance choices were limited. :) if I look at the results from JV to varsity there seems to be improvement between those levels. They haven't been as dominant at the JV level and the results at the varsity level have been. The 2010 team that played NFV in the semis lost twice at the JV level and had a pretty decent run. I didn't say other teams don't do the same thing or one way is better or worse than the other. Do I think that NFV could have done some other things in that game? Maybe. Maybe I need to re watch that film and see if they did more things than I thought during the game. I once again apologize if this continues to sound bad on my part. That's not the intent at all.

Originally posted by navyrules:

Fair enough... however, I would say that nearly all schools do a variation of what you said at the 9th/JV level. I'm not from NFV, but your comment about '4 plays' is an ill-disguised shot on what you think of the NFV coaching staff. What's to say that NFV didn't use different personnel, schemes of blocking, that made it appear to only be four plays? Just because it's a running attack, that doesn't mean there is not a lot of technique, strategy, thinking, or on the fly adjustments involved. Working on 'other things' doesn't have to be throwing it when you have had success running it or vice versa. It can also be experimenting with what call works best depending on Regina's defensive scheme, personnel, or situation presented by down distance or many other factors. Correct?

Let me be clear, I think that Regina is extremely well coached, has players that work hard, and plays the right way. I respect them for that. I have enjoyed watching them in the dome over the years and their results have been tremendous. Their players and staff deserve all the accolades they receive. That being said, and forgive me if I come off as being obstinate. But it would seem like you are implying that Regina has the market cornered on the correct way of how to improve JV players, and get them ready for the varsity level which smacks of conceit.
The weight program at Regina is top notch. That's a huge reason that you see good Regina JV teams turn into outstanding Varsity teams. The atmosphere, training, and culture in that weight room is ridiculously conducive to turning kids into brick shithouses. Back to the comments about Harris ending up at IC Regina.... if that happened it would be scary. They would turn him into a first round NFL prospect by the time he's a junior in high school.

Originally posted by BigDan21:
Originally posted by navyrules:

The weight program at Regina is top notch. That's a huge reason that you see good Regina JV teams turn into outstanding Varsity teams. The atmosphere, training, and culture in that weight room is ridiculously conducive to turning kids into brick shithouses. Back to the comments about Harris ending up at IC Regina.... if that happened it would be scary. They would turn him into a first round NFL prospect by the time he's a junior in high school.
No other school could do this?

Very few schools could to the extent that Regina does. I played against them in high school, and I know many players that have gone through the program. Their weight program is one of the nation's best in my opinion. Honestly I'm surprised more people haven't transferred there for this reason. If Harris went there he would be benching 550 and squatting 700 by the time he graduates, and I'm not exaggerating.

Originally posted by BigDan21:
Very few schools could to the extent that Regina does. I played against them in high school, and I know many players that have gone through the program. Their weight program is one of the nation's best in my opinion. Honestly I'm surprised more people haven't transferred there for this reason. If Harris went there he would be benching 550 and squatting 700 by the time he graduates, and I'm not exaggerating.
Harris already squats 700....

uncylenced: Which ad and where did this happen. I have a personal experience with IAHSAA and would be interested in this ruling. because they gave me the exact opposite ruling when I appealed.

Bondurant in 2002, he was canned at Indianola but never moved and his kid played two years for the Blue Jays.
Boone made an exception because he said he was looking for housing.
I was a Realtor at the time and handed him my business card after the game, he chuckled.

BTW...Harris looked pretty impressive in the opening drive.

Looks like Harris has been granted Varsity eligibility. Starting at RT on offense but didn't see the field against Beckman's first offensive series.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Holy cow I am sticking to the 3A board. This Navyrules guy is unbelievable. I hope I never meet you in real life my friend, you seem to have to always be right no matter what. No one likes people like that.

Juan looked very good at times tonight, and at times he looked like he missed a season of varsity football (go figure, right). He has very quick feet and drives people. If Juan can lose about 50 lbs he will find himself able to A. move even better and B. not get winded as quickly. Seriously, if this boy drops a few lbs he might be the best lineman prospect we've seen in this part of the state since Chris Felder...and Juan would have whooped Felder.

I am glad he finally got to play this year. That must have been tough not being to play all year.

What recruiting at private schools haven't seen it in my lifetime. So I don't know what you been smoking

Recruited to a public high school and gets to play just in time to help dominate the line of scrimmage at State and win a Championship. I wonder how that would have gone over if he'd shown up at a private school. I'd imagine this thread would be a least twice as long.

Just because a player transfers schools, doesn't mean he's recruited. Now I would hope you would start learning facts about the kid before you shove the kid and the school into the dirt saying he was recruited.

Originally posted by jen44:
Just because a player transfers schools, doesn't mean he's recruited. Now I would hope you would start learning facts about the kid before you shove the kid and the school into the dirt saying he was recruited.
I wish private schools would get that benefit of the doubt as well...but they don't.

Jen44 I admire your desire to get the facts and the story correct. Perhaps some people on this board can see your post and realize that this is what goes on pretty consistently with the private schools and the allegations, rumors, stories and just made up stuff. I don't think Pine was attempting to shove the kid and the school in the dirt, I believe he was just trying to show the inconsistent approaches to these situations.

I love how the Regina people feel the need to come hijack a thread and make blatantly controversial statements just to rehash a argument that they get so defensive about. Wow you dudes must be bored....

If you paid any attention to the Harris situation from the start, you would know that Harris was anything but recruited by NFV. Nor is he is a privileged kid who paid a steep tuition to a school in order to get a leg up on his academics or athletics.

Before you come on here crying about 'double standards', I would suggest that you both grow up and realize the reality of the situation and the society we live in.

Have you ever asked yourself why private schools have gained the reputation of recruiting kids? Well the answer is pretty simple.... IT'S BECAUSE THEY DO! Now I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just saying that's the fact, and it's the world we live in.

Posting blatantly argumentative and asinine statements won't change the stereotype that exist about private schools. In fact, it only fuels the confirmation bias that many already have about private schools. So while you likely think you are doing a good thing, you are only making it worse for schools like Regina to fight the stereotypes. Choose a different strategy.... because the 'fight fire with fire' one isn't working, it only causes more fire. Which may be what you were looking for all along...

Navy, I am fairly certain that it wasn't a Regina supporter that threw them into this discussion. I weighed in after it was brought up and discussed the NFV-Regina JV game last year and offered my opinion on the game, which you disagreed with. The rest followed from there.

Cid,

I wasn't referring to the posts about the JV game. Rather I was referring to pinehawks post at the top of this page that you then agreed with. But I think you knew that already. Nice try though.... c'mon man condense the nonsense.

Navy, here are the facts as we know them. (nice Cris Carter c'mon man by the way)

Thread starts about player

You throw a nice conspiracy theory picture in the thread contributing a great deal of depth and perspective to the thread.

You go back and forth with others on a couple of issues where things are taken a little out of context or stretched a little bit to keep the conversation going, fairly standard message board stuff.

Orsky calls you out a little bit

Small center and you don't agree over some semantics

Player playing JV is brought up, a little more friction on the board

Somebody makes a comment about things 'not smelling right' you are quick to respond to that in a very courteous manner.

On to page 2, still no mentions of Regina or any evidence of any Regina supporters, a pretty piss poor job of attempting to hijack a thread if you ask me. The only consistent thing at this point in time is you not getting along with several people.

The JV game is entered into the discussion again and once again, someone(you) takes a post and pushes the context to a pushing the envelope of what was actually typed.

Mitch and oono jump in with their little snippets.

Teenage dirtbag brings Regina into the conversation, this is page 2 already. doesn't look like a Regina supporter and not a very good effort if the goal is to hijack the thread.

You take exception at the 2015 'not as great' expectations and look at the success of the non varsity programs. In a somewhat confrontational manner.

Well now here it is well down page 2 and I make a factual and accurate statement about NFV beating Regina soundly in a JV game, nothing more, nothing less, once again a very piss poor effort at hijacking a thread.

Dirtbag takes a shot back and yes I should have just let it go but I asked for evidence of his claim, not a good choice and it could take the thread off track.

You then explain the JV game and you make a comment about if Regina is a dominant force in the next two years that "is an amazing turnaround' Because this has a lot to do with this thread? Ooops, it has nothing to do with this thread and is indeed a pretty good example of hijacking a thread. So nice work out of you.

I respond that I wouldn't put all of my eggs in Regina's future based on that game. I commented that Regina does some things differently than some programs at that level.

I get told that on the surface I made an arrogant statement. Always a great way to keep a thread on track and agreeable.

Geez this is getting way to long, you then go with the arrogant and conceited tactic, of course staying true to the thread.

It then gets back on track.

Pine asks a question that bothers Jen,

I then point out that Pine wasn't doing what Jen thought he was doing, just asking for the same benefit of the doubt that this young man has gotten. If that is a hijack I am guilty.

You then come out with your 'hijack the thread' post. Go back and reread this horribly long post and you will see who has done more to hijack this thread. Nice work with the 'crying' and 'grow up' comments and guess what I am bored today and I wanted to post some 'blatantly argumentative and asinine statements' for you today.

Not sure what the 'blatantly controversial' statement was. Perhaps I should ask you this question 'how much controversy and discussion would there be if a student with division one offers before their sophomore year arrived at the doorstep of Iowa City Regina, after the school year started and after they had practiced at another school and wanted to play football that year?" I am sure you would be the loudest supporter of 'benefit of the doubt' for the kid.

You have been argumentative throughout this entire thread. Perhaps you recognized the fight fire with fire tactic because you may be the king of it, heck you seem to fight factual non inflammatory statements with fire.

So I say goodbye for this post, Rambled way to long but sometimes it is good therapy to go back through a thread like this and then read and debunk the revisionist history that is presented as facts by some.

Shows his character I guess. Better to find out sooner than later. Burned that bridge...

And....he's back. Iowa probably shouldn't have offered this kid so early. There are some red flags here.

HARRIS RE-COMMITS: The state's top-ranked sophomore is back on board with Iowa.
North Fayette Valley defensive lineman Juan Harris, who committed to the Hawkeyes on Dec. 1 and backed out of his pledge earlier this month, has rejoined Iowa's 2017 recruiting class, according to HawkeyeInsider.com.
Harris told HawkeyeInsider that a family disagreement led to his decommitment and "we worked things out as a family and things are great."

I am thinking that if I am a 14-17 year old kid and Oregon and Alabama start showing interest in me than I would probably reconsider some comments that I have made. I don't think we should be making character comments unless something more concrete shows up. Not uncommon to get distracted by the newest stuff.

He will be interesting to watch at combines and camps this spring/summer. Stats are impressive but are they real? Weighed in at 411 lbs. at Iowa Jr. Day according to the Tom Lemming post on Twitter. 405 Bench and 768 Squat and a 5.2 40 time? That's moving for 411 lbs. I heard...from someone who lives there and has kids there that he transferred to be closer to his father who was just released from the facility. Not sure what the real story is but I am hearing that his transfer was for family reasons.

Originally posted by fbmom73:
He will be interesting to watch at combines and camps this spring/summer. Stats are impressive but are they real? Weighed in at 411 lbs. at Iowa Jr. Day according to the Tom Lemming post on Twitter. 405 Bench and 768 Squat and a 5.2 40 time? That's moving for 411 lbs. I heard...from someone who lives there and has kids there that he transferred to be closer to his father who was just released from the facility. Not sure what the real story is but I am hearing that his transfer was for family reasons

Every bit of that is true

This kid has some real commitment issues.

Good riddens!!! No one should commit until you are 100% sure! I know Decommiting happens all the time but 3 times throws up red flags all over the place. I would think KF and staff have moved on from this kid! I wish him well but i dont think he will be playin in Kinnick on saturdays unless for another team!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT