ADVERTISEMENT

Don Bosco scores 102 points.

Originally posted by Ron Burkley:
"My final comment on this subject is if your AD had a pair
he'd suspend your Head Coach for the first round of the playoffs
because there are too many ways not to score 102 points."

Are you stupid Suspend the head coach? for what being successful and scoring points? or because you want to see them lose because they don't have a head coach.
There is more to being successful than scoring points.

yeah like they have 3 district titles in a row. they haven't lost a game in two years. and being like 30-1 in last three years

Originally posted by Ron Burkley:
yeah like they have 3 district titles in a row. they haven't lost a game in two years. and being like 30-1 in last three years
I'm not sure you got the point I was getting at. Scoring points, or winning, doesn't hold a lot of value to most people. It's how you go about it.

Originally posted by brewcrewman1:
Iron Doc..Great Post !! To tm33...why a separate rule you ask? Because 8 man in general is such a fast paced high scoring game is why. 50 pointing in 11 man I would be willing to guess probably happened in games anywhere from the late 3rd quarter and on. At least in those games with no continuous clock non starters probably were getting some decent reps. With the 8 man game heck as we have seen some of those games could be over before half time with the 50 point rule. Thus what gets lost? Well extra playing time for the jv/freshman. The band does not get to do their performance that they had been putting practice in for. Oh by the way concession stands would take a hit. Maybe the little kids were going to play at halftime..woops game over 5 minutes left in first half...guess we wont be seeing them perform. Maybe there was a little girl's cheerleading performance or a HS girl's dance team going to perform..woops aint going to happen. The list goes on and on. Thus some of the reasons I was proposing a continuous clock with a 70 point max for 8 man.
I'm aware of the fast-paced scoring in 8-man; I've been watching this game for over 10 years. But when has any team come from 50 points down to win the game, even in 8-man? I'd be willing to bet it's less than 5 times ever, if it's happened at all. A 50-point mercy rule is more than sufficient for all classes.

And a mercy rule isn't about giving people halftime performances or JV players playing time. It's about keeping a team from getting beat to a bloody pulp.

they aren't cocky about winning like the other people. they win and that's it they get shit on all the time for no reason. and they just sit back and take it.

This score shows just how classless the DB coaches are. I played for Coach Edmundson at TCT the first 4 years of their 8-man program when we were a combined 40-5. There were a handful of games every year when we could have easily scored over 100 points, and as players would have really enjoyed doing it, but we were coached to have more respect for our opponent then that. What DB did was a slap in the face and extremely disrespectful to Coach Edmundson and the entire program. In sports you have to no how to lose and win with dignity. DB must not be coached with that same philosophy.

The whole uproar has nothing to do with the players of Don Bosco. They are only being told what to do from the coach. It can't go back on the kids at all. Its all on the staff who feels they need to keep running plays when they are up 70, 80, 90+ points. You do not do that. Period. Some people will point to other games and say well they scored 90+ points in their game. Sure, they might have, but the difference between 90 and 100 points is the backlash we are seeing after last fridays game. I haven't heard of more than roughly 10% of the posters on here agree that it is ok to score 100+ points in a game. For example, I have family in Guthrie Center who just so happened to score 99 on Adair this past Friday. This shows you how it should be done, I was told late in that game when the Guthrie Center JV broke a long touchdown late to get the score to 99 points, they took a knee on the PAT so they wouldn't hit 100. Yes, that is how it should be done. Thats classy on the staff of Guthrie to not run a play or kick the PAT to show 100 on the board. Don't keep running plays. And to the people who are sitting here downgrading the people from Don Bosco, their administration and whoever, lets grow up a little. The only people who should take the criticism are the coaches for that team and at that it still happened. We can't go back and change the outcome of the game or change the score. It is unfortunate that it happened as I feel for the Tri County kids who were on the embarrassing end of it but lets move and get to the playoffs where if someone wants to get some revenge for what happened, then go out and beat Don Bosco flat out. Only one team has been able to say they have in the last 3 seasons. Come on people.

I think I'll start by saying your coach forgot to teach you some manners, young lad from TCT.
You don't know these coaches at all and are coming on here to call them classless? These coaches are all fine gentlemen.
Not one of them is happy with this situation. Contrary to what anyone thinks they know, short of taking knees, throwing incomplete passes, intentional fumbling, etc., the coaches did about all they could. DB could have easily scored 200 pts that night.

Were you at the game? Refer to the other post that lays out the sad facts. 1 incomplete pass and 20 carries. 8 of the twenty carries
were by 4 freshman. Starting QB out after 5 plays. Staring RB out quickly with no carries. DB tried to go to kicking for PAT's and laughter erupted on the sideline due to the fact everyone knows DB doesn't kick. It would have become a circus.

At what point do people question the ability/effort of the opposing team to make a tackle. Check the stats of your team. They made 10 tackles. Bosco scored on 50% of it's plays from scrimmage. My goodness, if you're on the field, play hard.

When Bosco started playing football, our kids didn't tackle or block very well. They aren't born with those skills. They have to be taught.

What we didn't do is blame other teams for beating up on us, and make excuses for not being very good. As far as being an 8 player team with 40 some kids out for the team, we have some incoming classes in the next several years that are very small. It is not likely we will be able to play 11 man for quite a long time, if ever.

I feel bad for what this has turned into for both communities, it's just hard to comprehend the
inability of what was supposed to be a varsity squad to stop a group of freshman from scoring. It' s downright sad, and to be honest.
it truly is a tragedy for both teams.

But believe me, you have no grounds to call these men who coach our boys classless. TCT simply quit playing. That is what happened, and our coaches can't fix that.

wrestlingislife: Since your name speaks for you I assume you are an avid wrestling fan. I assume you remember Bosco's dominance in the early 2000's in 1A wrestling. Not going to look up stats but there were many shutout and 10+ pin duals. Would you call the coaches of those teams disrespectful and classless? Wrestling as well as football is a contact sport driven by a love of the sport and an aggressive winning mentality. Without that, you won't be at the top. No matter what way you look at it, that's how it was, is now, and always will be. If pulling players and playing backups to your backups isn't enough, what is? If a 96 point spread is too high, where's the cut off? 86? 76? 66? There is no answer, because you simply can't count on the other team laying down or giving up. The stats mentioned by others above speak for me in that area. As a wrestling fan you should understand the mentality it takes to win, and if a team doesn't have that it's unfortunate. But as for calling the DB coaches classless? That's not the case at all. The players were coached to win. No coach's goal is ever to teach their players to be cocky or to tell their players to embarrass the other team. The coaches are coaching the players right. The players are not to blame either. So this comes down to the fact that maybe there isn't much you can do at this point.

I have no dog in this fight and I was not at the game. Many are correct in saying that you can't tell your backup's to fall down, fumble etc. They do work hard all week and are excited about playing in a varsity contest as they should be. Bosco has developed a good program, no question. With all that said I do have to wonder what type of reaction would come from the DB faithful if that shoe was ever on the other foot? Again I am in no way passing judgement on the score of the game, I would guess it was not fun for either team and coaches as this game the way it unfolded.

Originally posted by high90school:

The whole uproar has nothing to do with the players of Don Bosco. They are only being told what to do from the coach. It can't go back on the kids at all. Its all on the staff who feels they need to keep running plays when they are up 70, 80, 90+ points. You do not do that. Period. Some people will point to other games and say well they scored 90+ points in their game. Sure, they might have, but the difference between 90 and 100 points is the backlash we are seeing after last fridays game. I haven't heard of more than roughly 10% of the posters on here agree that it is ok to score 100+ points in a game. For example, I have family in Guthrie Center who just so happened to score 99 on Adair this past Friday. This shows you how it should be done, I was told late in that game when the Guthrie Center JV broke a long touchdown late to get the score to 99 points, they took a knee on the PAT so they wouldn't hit 100. Yes, that is how it should be done. Thats classy on the staff of Guthrie to not run a play or kick the PAT to show 100 on the board. Don't keep running plays. And to the people who are sitting here downgrading the people from Don Bosco, their administration and whoever, lets grow up a little. The only people who should take the criticism are the coaches for that team and at that it still happened. We can't go back and change the outcome of the game or change the score. It is unfortunate that it happened as I feel for the Tri County kids who were on the embarrassing end of it but lets move and get to the playoffs where if someone wants to get some revenge for what happened, then go out and beat Don Bosco flat out. Only one team has been able to say they have in the last 3 seasons. Come on people.
The players aren't necessarily guilt-free in a deal like this. I've got no reason to suspect Don Bosco's players did this, but my junior year, we were getting pummeled (something like 70-0) in the last game of the year and with about 30 seconds left in the game, our defense was told to "take it easy" by the refs. Well the opposing team, whose star receiver was close to setting state records for receptions, yards and receiving touchdowns, ran another deep pass play to this receiver, which broke all of the single game records he was chasing. The coaching staff had called for a kneel down, and the players decided in the huddle to go for one more touchdown to get those records.

I'm sure the Don Bosco players were just doing what they were told in this case; if they weren't, there's no way a coach would have let them freewheel long enough to hit triple digits.

Originally posted by gonorse92:
I have no dog in this fight and I was not at the game. Many are correct in saying that you can't tell your backup's to fall down, fumble etc. They do work hard all week and are excited about playing in a varsity contest as they should be. Bosco has developed a good program, no question. With all that said I do have to wonder what type of reaction would come from the DB faithful if that shoe was ever on the other foot? Again I am in no way passing judgement on the score of the game, I would guess it was not fun for either team and coaches as this game the way it unfolded.
Bosco had several years of 0-54, 6-62, 0-60 type games and no one from the bosco community ever blamed anyone outside of the staff for those results. So, there is your answer to how would they react if the shoe was on the other foot. And to be fair, I've only seen a handful of TCT supporters faulting Bosco for what happened.

Originally posted by wrestleingislife:
This score shows just how classless the DB coaches are. I played for Coach Edmundson at TCT the first 4 years of their 8-man program when we were a combined 40-5. There were a handful of games every year when we could have easily scored over 100 points, and as players would have really enjoyed doing it, but we were coached to have more respect for our opponent then that. What DB did was a slap in the face and extremely disrespectful to Coach Edmundson and the entire program. In sports you have to no how to lose and win with dignity. DB must not be coached with that same philosophy.
bosco could've scored 200 if their goal was to score as much as they could. What part of 21 total offensive plays did you not understand? At some point the culpability has to lie with TCT. If your varsity cannot slow down a jv/freshman offense, you may deserve to have 100 hung on you. When I initially heard the score, I was vehemently against what DB did, but now that facts are out, it's not what DB did, it's what TCT didn't do. Short of literally handing the ball over as some have suggested (which is asinine), I've yet to hear one legitimate alternate course of action DB could've taken.

Originally posted by notlongago:

Originally posted by wrestleingislife:
bosco could've scored 200 if their goal was to score as much as they could. What part of 21 total offensive plays did you not understand? At some point the culpability has to lie with TCT. If your varsity cannot slow down a jv/freshman offense, you may deserve to have 100 hung on you. When I initially heard the score, I was vehemently against what DB did, but now that facts are out, it's not what DB did, it's what TCT didn't do. Short of literally handing the ball over as some have suggested (which is asinine), I've yet to hear one legitimate alternate course of action DB could've taken.
Kicked PAT's instead of go for 2.

TCT came in with 2 Seniors, 2 Juniors, lost a junior in the 1st quarter. TCT was 5/8 fresh & soph before the 2nd quarter started. Based on DB poster in the other thread stating that 25 out of 45 DB player played on D, DB didn't back down to even close to match up with TCT, remember DB has 23ish Juniors and seniors TCT had 3. (DB coaches would have known)

Again I don't care about 2 digit or 3 digit scores, 99 102 no diff., but when up by 40 after the first quarter the leading team should try to match up just to avoid scoring every other play to get the game over with out that happening. DB coaches didn't.

And again nothing on the players, sorry to the 2nd and 3rd string varsity, DB has roughly 23 juniors and seniors, sorry your night should have been over after 1st quarter, your varsity wasn't gong to get any good reps to help prep for next week any way.. DB's JV vs TCT's JV + 3 SR/JRs would have slowed the scoring down, that didn't appear to happen and scoring got out of hand.

DB players, want to play more, tell the school you want to play 11 player. I'll look later (mabye) if even any class A 11 player teams have 45 players on the roster, that's a huge number. I don't know and never heard of anyone going out for football who just wanted to be part of the team.

I'm not trying to make excuses and hope it doesn't sound like it. TCT is what it is, a 8 player team with just enough kids to complete a V & JV season, hopefully they can keep it up, I'm afraid it can't, and events like this doen't help..

IMO the state shoud have never let DB move down to 8 player after a 8-3 season and now with still 45 kids on HS rooster and 25 on JH rooster just proves it. (we all know the 115 beds count so please don't repeat their following the rules again).

Rooster, the year before Bosco went 8-3, they went 1-9. The 1-9 year was Coach Yoder's 1st yr. He accepted a daunting task.
As of 2 weeks before practice was to begin he had 18 players that were going to come out. Some of the best athletes in the school, who happened to also be wrestlers, were not going to come out. Parents and potential players didn't want to risk injury to play on a losing football team. Bosco it was said " was just not a football school"

As I've stated in another post, kids aren't born with tackling skills and blocking skills. They may have known how to cradle up an opponent from many different positions, but they had little to no clue how to play football. And they got beat .....a lot....by a lot of points.

Coach Yoder stepped up and led the charge. He visited homes, talked to potential player and parents, and stirred the pot enough to get some kids involved who wouldn't have been involved if not for his efforts. He went out and put together a staff that he knew would be committed and teach the game right. Boy have they ever.

It royally pisses me off to hear people call them classless based on one bad night when their youngest smallest kids continued to score on a varsity squad who should have been capable of stopping them. The Bosco staff are men who put in countless hours, are paid damn little for what they do, and do it for love of the kids and love of the game.

Let me ask you Rooster, if the state introduced a new class of 8 player for schools of under 6o beds, what would TCT decide to play ?
Would they play up just because, or would they play in the class they are qualified by BEDS total to play in. I think we both know that answer.

You talk as though TCL may never play again. Based on their effort Friday night, I'd say many of them have already quit, and you're not to far off by saying the program is in a bit of trouble.

For those who think Bosco should simply bounce back and forth between 11 man and 8 man, would you mind signing up to help modify our field every couple of years to do that. You see we don't get to send that out for bid. We pay our taxes to fund the public schools, and then volunteer to do the work ourselves on our own facilities to try to have enough left over to pay tuition.

As long as we qualify to be 8 man, we'll be 8 man. And I hope Coach Yoder and his staff are here for a long time to come. But then again, I look at the body of work when I judge. Not one bad night when a team simply laid down, and because of that lack of effort our coaches got judged.

The whole " everyone get's a ribbon " thing has us judging the wrong people and the wrong quality's.
This post was edited on 10/27 10:02 PM by BoscoFan4Life

tm33...i believe you are wrong in your bloody pulp comment but it also has become obvious that you and I are going to have to agree that we disagree. I played football in HS(albeit a long long time ago) and was on the losing end of 1 or 2 games that were not close and we certainly did not get beat to a bloody pulp. We just got outplayed by a better team.

Um.. what is up with Quikstats? I went on there expecting to see all the stats from these mighty, mighty freshmen and...not seeing much.

80 points scored between juniors and seniors
10 points scored by sophomores
...and 12 points scored by freshmen

It's the freshmen's fault for scoring those 12 points. If it wasn't for them none of this would be happening.

Hawkeye you're a real trip. Who scored the last 12 points ? Isn't that the whole obsession here. The big bad Dons put up over a hundred points, right. Would this thread exist if we had only won by 90 -6. Doubt it. Not three pages worth.

Look at how many varsity carries some of this games ball carriers had this year. Other than Svoboda ( 5 carries, 4 TD's and out ), who happened to be out since 2nd half vs HLV, as we enter the playoffs, who got the carries ? Svoboda has had 5 carries in the past 3 weeks and got pulled going into playoffs. How many coaches would have shut down their starting QB that fast heading into playoffs?

All of this criticism pointed at the coaches for not making an effort to slow the scoring. Look deeper into the stats for the real story.

Our stat guy's tend to not tally a few things once the game is turned over to the JV. Obviously scoring is critical. It has to add up.

But will tackles total up to TCT's plays from scrimmage ? Maybe so, but probably not. It doesn't really matter that much.

You clearly were not at this game. Do yourself a favor and try to get a game film. Then form an " educated" opinion of what took place.
Check out how many scores many of those players had prior to this game. There's where you'll find the answer. Check how many TD's Tanner Webber had going into this game ( look at career carries for Tanner who is a Junior ). Check how many TDs and carries Wyatt Sawvel has this season. Check how many TDs and carries Austin Hellman has had going into this game. Check out how many TDs and carries Brock Thome had going into this game.

Do some homework. As I said before, sometimes it's best to stick to "what you actually know" vs " what you think you know".

I will defend these coaches because they deserve it. Someone needs to stand up and have their backs. Do me a favor and keep asking the questions because I love exposing what really happened.

This post was edited on 10/28 2:37 AM by BoscoFan4Life

This post was edited on 10/28 2:40 AM by BoscoFan4Life

This post was edited on 10/28 3:05 AM by BoscoFan4Life

Did you do your homework in between your three edits of that post? I skimmed most of it anyways.

I'm not buying anything you're selling. You guys came in here playing the "our freshmen played since the 2nd quarter" card, but now the stats are laid out and it's ok for you to come up with another lame excuse? Nope. Sure blame it on the stats guys. Blame it on the juniors who scored that 'never get playing time'. I am certain they are more athletic than the freshman if they have been playing the last few years.

Originally posted by brewcrewman1:
tm33...i believe you are wrong in your bloody pulp comment but it also has become obvious that you and I are going to have to agree that we disagree. I played football in HS(albeit a long long time ago) and was on the losing end of 1 or 2 games that were not close and we certainly did not get beat to a bloody pulp. We just got outplayed by a better team.
That was exaggerated, but the point still stands. A mercy rule is supposed to be about exactly that: mercy for a team that is grossly overmatched. Not making sure the team who's cruising can make everybody on the roster happy that they got to play in a varsity game, or so that the home school can hold halftime festivities (band, little kids football, etc.) and rake in as much concession money as possible.

I posted this before and did not get any feedback. Does anyone think the IHSAA will do like Illinois does and make parochial schools play up a class. Catholic schools won most championships last year.

Originally posted by holymoly1:
I posted this before and did not get any feedback. Does anyone think the IHSAA will do like Illinois does and make parochial schools play up a class. Catholic schools won most championships last year.
Wrong thread for that conversation. Go to the 1A board with Regina and start the exact same conversation again.

hawkeye1010- yeah your right the juniors got to play. but these juniors are ones that don't play all the time only get in when they are up by 30. So to keep it fair they went in before the freshman.

Its not Don Bosco's fault that Tri county couldn't make at least one stop on D. instead of bashing the players we should look at Tri county for not being able to tackle take a look at there coaching staff maybe they need to coach the fundamentals of football a little more.

And seniors according to Bosco4life.

TCT roster after losing the QB in the 1st.

5'10 140 fr
6' 165 so
5'5 210 so
5'7 124 fr
6'1 185 so

6' 205 sr
5'- 150 fr
5'6 122 so(list as fr, error on roster I think, out in with ankle during game)
6' 183 sr
6' 200 jr

5'8 217 fr
5'10 210 fr
5'-4 146 fr.(didn't get in)

Missing was TCT's #1, 2 & 3 tail backs going in, and QB after first quarter., And 3 of those 4 would play both ways somewhere. Not making any excuses, that is what TCT had left, so they couldn't stop DB 2nd and 3rd team JRs & SRs.

I don't think I missed anyone, but may have.

I'm going to make this as clear as I possibly can for those few who still may not know how to use quick stats.

The last 4 TD's were scored by kids who had never scored in a varsity game yet this season.

Bosco has lead by plenty in most of our games. So what does it say that these athletes had never been to the end zone

with the ball. It clearly shows the effort made by the staff. It's all there on quick stats folks.

It's week 9, and the last 4 TD's made by kids who had previously not scored a varsity TD this season.

Yes we have 40 some kids, and if you want to call JV 2nd string ok. If you want to call what's left after Varsity and JV 3rd string

then ok. I suppose the freshman make up the 4th string if we go that way. Whatever the case, the last 4 TD's were by players who had

not yet scored this season. End of story.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL TEAMS IN THE POST SEASON !

HOPE ALL ATHLETES CAN FINISH WITHOUT INJURY, ENJOY THE RIDE !

This post was edited on 10/28 2:43 PM by BoscoFan4Life

Maybe your people shouldn't have came on here trying to convince everyone freshmen were scoring in the game since the second quarter. Making it sound as if TCT played all these freshmen/sophomores for 2-2 1/2 quarters. But the stats are exposed now..why not just come on here and say you had juniors scoring who had never scored on varsity before?

I'm done with this topic.

Again I will state I really do not have a stake in this situation at all this whole situation is unfortunate. People can over analyze who played what quarters etc. If was evident TCT was very,very overmatched going into the game. It was going to go bad for them no matter what happened. That is no knock on them. At some point in time you do have to stand up and make some plays but keep this in mind I am not saying I would be real proud to tell people I scored 102 points on an a team that was undermanned and had some injury issues either. Could anything been done to stop it, that can be debated for the next three years. It is going to bother a good number of people and others are going to justify it. That is what makes the world go around. I myself would have a very hard time justifying my team scoring 100 points on some team unless the game was a lot closer than 102-6. I am sure there are some DB fans that if the shoe was on the other foot may not be too thrilled about it. What can you do? Here is to hoping for some great playoff games and great weather. Let the road to the Dome begin.

I do not think they play up a class in Illinois, they take number times 1.25 and then put in appropriate class. Which means they may move up a class, and I do like that idea.

Been a lurker for years, signed in only for the freshman in 2nd quarter and DB coudn't help it score 102 BS. I shouldn't have got into the 8/11 argument, so I'm sorry about that.

Just a quick recapt of my post (excluding 8 vs 11 stuff) Someone post/tweeted (I don't do that) that DB has freshmen in the 2nd quarter and DB couldn't help but score 56 points after the first quarter (46/6) Sorry but I have to take advantage of this moment to mention that TCT led for a tiny brief periord of time with a excelent play call from coach Edmundson.

So how DB freshman as a group didn't not score 56 points on TC, well it really was the DB non varsity seniors and juniors that played most of the rest of the game after the first quarter that did. (O line should get most of the credit)

I understand the idea of 2 games a week, one V and one JV. Concept works fine until you meet a JV team during the V season.

And didn't mean to create confustion of 2 & 3 string varsity. I don't know DB's system but in my experience, the best 8-10 play in a competitive game. With 25ish JR & SR, I called then next 8 in that dont' get to play JV 2nd string Varsity & 3rd Varsity, sorry about any confusion on my made up stuff.

Repeating what I said in my first post, 90 vs 102 points no difference, 2 digits 3 digits j, I'm pretty sure I never said anything negative about any DB player, I don't think I even said anything negative about DB coaches, I just didn't like the missleading TWIT of DB's freshman running all over TCT in the 2nd etc...

One last question doesn't matter if nobody want's to answer, Is your boy to girl ratio really scewed? My 50/50 assumption on BEDS seemed to be met with some doubt. Just wondering.

Good luck DB & HLV

Now back to a lurker.

This post was edited on 10/28 7:31 PM by roosterk

You have to chuckle a little at the part of this comment "...and then volunteer to the work ourselves on our own facilities and to try and have enough left over to pay tuition", That is your choice to make and your's only. I have no problem with your choice, but please try not to insinuate to people on site that the folks at DB are the only ones that volunteer at their respective schools. It is great the folks in the DB district help out but every school has folks that do the same for schools of all shapes and sizes not just at DB. That is why I love our great state, people jump in and get things done.

You are absolutely right Norse. It is a choice anyone sending kids to a private school makes. You are right about Iowa being that way also. I'm glad I gave you a chuckle, that makes me smile. I'd much rather see people laugh than cry. The best of both would be laughing so hard you cried.

My point was our facilities were built completely from scratch, by volunteers, nights and weekends, so we could have a home field to watch our kids play 8 player football. Which happened to be the classification the state put us in. We had had one winning season in our football history when that decision was made, and we're obviously happy we went that direction.

Trust me on this, building a football field is a hell of a lot more work than baking snickerdoodles for the bake sale or working the concession for a couple hrs. And of lot of people here in Iowa do a lot of work for their schools. I'm just sayin.

So my point was this. Please don't be surprised or offended if we don't jump thru hoops and line up to tear the field up every other year, switching back and forth from 8 player to 11 player, so we avoid some of the less fortunate teams getting their feelings hurt because were good at football and it's not fair.

I hope folks can understand that. Sorry if they can't. Hopefully you can have a good chuckle. Good day.

This post was edited on 10/29 9:48 AM by BoscoFan4Life

This post was edited on 10/29 9:49 AM by BoscoFan4Life

I certainly understand where you are coming from. Been part of a lot hours doing similar work, not building a field from scratch mind you but remodel jobs, clean up etc. I might not make folks happy when I say this but DB playing 8 man football is their choice and they do fit the guidelines. Regardless of 50 kids out or 25 kids out they are eligible. There is a school in southeast Minnesota with 50 to 60 kids out that still play 9 man and they have been very successful.

I haven't seen this point brought up yet. Most people are ripping on DB for not laying down. I talked to our HC and he said he wouldn't ask young kids to lay down. He said they would probably run the same basic play but it is up to the other team to stop them. Why didn't the team that was losing by 80 points just say lets call it. People want DB to basically quit but not the other team. Why is there a mercy rule in baseball but not football? In baseball a team can easily make the score less than a 15 or 10 run differential in an inning. It is hard in football to make it less than 50.

To start off this post, I will ask, it is ethical to score over 100 points against your opponent in football? No, as agreed on by the majority of sports enthusiasts, no it is not. It is important to note that the scoring of 100 points in a football game is a reflection of multiple parties in the event: the coaches of winning and losing team, players of the winning and losing team, fans of the winning and losing team, and the IAHSAA officials.
The coaches of the winning team are looked at poorly for continuing to call plays when in possession of the ball and not instructing their players to perform clumsy acts in order to give the opposing team a chance to touch the ball, not for spending countless hours day and night planning and preparing their players to play the game of football to the best of their abilities.
The coaches of the winning team are looked at in pity for being the leaders of a team who did not play as well as the opposing team, not for a difference in coaching styles and/or effort in preparing their players in all areas of training and preparation in order to compete at their fullest potential.
The players of the winning team are looked at poorly for continuing to advance their position on offense or hold their position on defense (the object of the game) and also for not performing a host of clumsy, uncoordinated, self-defeating acts so that the opposing team may have another attempt to score, not for continuing to play the game of football until the final buzzer sounds signifying the contest is over.
The players of the losing team are looked at in pity for being on the losing side of the game and suffering a murderous loss to a well-prepared team, not for their possible lack of preparing to play the sport to the best of their abilities by training in the off-season by lifting and running, or training during the season by memorizing plays and repeatedly executing them at practice until they make no mistakes and all technical aspects of every position are properly executed.
Finally the fans of the winning team are looked at poorly for any slightly negative or boastful comments that may be made during the competition while their kids are competing in a sport that they have watched them progress from flag football to high school football (or beyond) and are proud of the sacrifice of their player/s and themselves.
The point that I am trying to make through all of this is the SACRIFICE that comes with success. No person is history has ever truly succeeded at the highest level without making some sort of sacrifice in order to reach a higher level of success. Successful high school football players wake up early at 5:30 am 3-4 days out of the week so that they can get a lift in before school starts to make themselves stronger on the field (this is in addition to the regular 2-3 hr. evening practice after school. They sacrifice free time in the off-season (which is usually accompanied by an additional sport/s) so that they can continue lifting to get stronger, and run monotonous plays to be perfect and efficient, while also attending regular wrestling, baseball, track, or soccer practice depending on the season. The sacrifice of a dedicated high school athlete who also excels in the classroom sets a foundation for a successful life that the athlete can follow for the rest of their life. They juggle multiple sports and training schedules and coaches’ expectations with demanding classes and teachers, all of whom expect 100% effort and continuing improvement in every aspect of your life.
Just think about trying to get better athletically at any combination of football, wrestling, basketball, baseball, track, or soccer (attending regular in-season and off-season practice for multiple sports simultaneously), while also trying to learn A&P, calculus, Spanish, English composition, history, etc. It’s not easy, and any evaluation of improvement and success by the individual and/or team should be rewarded and compounded.
Lastly the suggestions of other posters saying that players should “fumble the ball, throw an interception, take a knee, run out of bounds, etc. Do you think the losing team really wouldn’t care if the winning team did those things? Any competitive athlete, successful or not, does not want a win or loss to just be handed to them. The last time any high school football player was on the receiving end of those antics was in 1st grade when they were playing football on thanksgiving and they’re older cousins are just doing the right family thing and including them and letting them have a little fun. The high school playing field (mat, court, track, etc.) is not the place for such demeaning actions. You would not expect a wrestler to go out and lay on their back, or a baseball player to swing at a ball in the dirt, a track star to jog around the track, a basketball player to just stand under a hoop and not rebound or dribble a ball off their toe. Then why would you recommend such antics in a game of football? Winning competitors earn their success. I have been on the winning end of numerous 84-0 dual meet blow outs in wrestling and nobody batted a critical eye after the winning team’s JV squad went out and stomped the opposing team. I have seen a wrestling team at a 1A school who held a top 10 national ranking dominate every 3A big school opponent and go out of their way to find harder competition. I have seen a baseball and softball team JV players swing at balls in the dirt or step on the plate to strike out, just to get the game over with.
Now before you all fire back on these comments, know that I only graduated a few years ago and have been on the receiving end of a brutal loss in football more than once in more than a few years and the last thing that I wanted was for the opposing team to just hand me the ball on defense. Following those devastating losses, we were not mad at the other program or coaches for beating us so bad, we were mad at ourselves. It was our fault that we failed to prepare for the game by training as competitively as our opponents and failed to work together as a team to score points. If someone doesn’t block the right man, run the right route, fill the correct gap, cover the correct area, then the team is not going to win on a regular basis.
Looking back, it were those brutal losses combined with the heart breaking near-comebacks that brought this program to the competitive level that it is now performing at. The 2011 season was a successful one, but it was full of multiple nearly lossed games and big mistakes. Following the 2007 season (6-3), it was the second winning season in program history, bringing the program record to 20-57 and a 26% win percentage (it was 12-54 at just 18% prior to 2011). The option to move down to 8-man was available following the 2011 season (redistrict every 2 years), and all the school officials had to look at were previous results and future population numbers. That 2011 football team consisted of 11 seniors, most playing both sides of the ball including the majority of special teams. This left the program very uncertain for the upcoming season, but an opportunity to move down to 8-man and hopefully find continued success.
To end this debacle of “running up the score vs. bad sportsmanship vs. child-like antics vs. rude fans”, I will say this. The sportsmanship and character of all fans can be improved, that is for certain. However, the change should not come only from the actions of the winning team. The losing team is held to the same standards as the winning team and players should be expected to make sacrifices for success. The purpose of high school sports is to teach values that cannot be learned or experienced in the academic classroom. Some of these values are not so easy to learn (perseverance, sacrifice, dedication) while others are a little easier (teamwork). These blow-out losses do not define a losing team, or the future of the members of that team. The winning team will win. The critics will talk. A team will not be remembered for just giving the other team the ball when things got “out of hand,” so they might as well win, and win with pride.
This post was edited on 11/3 11:41 AM by GW94JD

I think Tom Yuska started the football program at DB. He had some success, but was let go. Anybody know why?

Originally posted by holymoly1:
I think Tom Yuska started the football program at DB. He had some success, but was let go. Anybody know why?
Coach Yuska was the first head coach, and was helped by Ed Nelson and Mark Engel (sp). However, Coach Yuska was far from who "started" Don Bosco's football program. That falls upon a great man, named Tom Ryan. Coach Ryan brought middle school football to the DB system. It was his dream for DB to have varsity football. Unfortunately, Coach Ryan died during a middle school football game and never lived to see the fruition of his dream. The fans and parents of the DB system, with no help from the booster club, donated money to fund the program. When the move was made to 8 man, the new field, aptly named Tom Ryan Field, was built mostly thru donations and some booster club money. Hope that helps.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT