ADVERTISEMENT

Don Bosco scores 102 points.

Originally posted by Rose bowl or bust:
According to sportsspotlight.com, the 102 points is a new single game scoring record, so I'm pretty sure this IS the first blowout like this.
Walnut beat Villisca 105-14 in 2004.

Which do you think embarrasses the losing team more -- running up the middle every time and scoring touchdowns, or running up the middle every time and simply falling down short of the goal line? I'd be more embarrassed at the latter. If I know I'm not good enough to stop you, then so be it. But you stopping yourself comes off as pity.

Notice how EVERY person on Bosco's side is actually from Bosco or a fan of Bosco. There are no outside people that are on DB's side. I have never been against DB before but I'm sorry after seeing this score, that's just rediculous. They would finish 4th in D2, no arguments to it... WBM MMC and GTRA would all beat DB

Yeah, the Don Bosco score is not the record.

Clarinda holds the 11-man record with 159 pts in a shutout win over Sidney in 1931. I'm guessing you guys have lost all respect for Clarinda now that you know they once did that..................right?

The 8-man record was set by Melcher-Dallas in 2005 when they beat Seymour 116-0. M-D is still very well-known for their high-scoring games, and I remember reading the outrage at that score on this board that day as well.

Originally posted by OHS4life:
Hard to lose respect when it never existed. Keep riding the DB train. There's always one...
So basically you've always disliked Don Bosco, nttawwt. This just means that your animosity extends beyond this score and that you may or may not show the same outrage to other schools who produce a similar result in the future (or past, if you weren't aware....or cared, ya know).

Which also means that said outrage for another school scoring 100 pts may not last as long as your outrage at what Don Bosco has done........just trying to get a gauge on what kind of person you are, is all.

Me personally, I have absolutely very little vested interest in this matter. It's merely amusing to me, anymore, when there is public outcry. I like to find which people are actually insulted and which are just insulted because they think they need to be..........................................................just sayin.

P.S. I am actually against Don Bosco in 8-man but for the following reason. There are other schools of similar size, or smaller, with fewer kids out for football who tough it out or are too proud to drop to 8-man and would rather play in Class A.

I have no doubt that Don Bosco would be fine in 11-man with the numbers and talent they seem to have. They may not find success to be as easy, but it's not like some immensely daunting task, again considering the participation they have and the production they are getting from it.

But take Bishop Garrigan (Algona) for example. Here's a program with a strong history in football, even claiming a State title in 2A in 1985 and appearing in two other 1A title games in 1999 and 2005. Their BEDS is currently at 111 and will probably continue to slowly decline in the foreseeable future. They're well within their right to drop to 8-man, but until their program hits rock-bottom, I think their coaching staff (and the school) would rather be caught dead than stop playing 11-man. They have 37, including freshmen, on their team roster.

WACO, Wayland is the smallest Class A team I could find with a BEDS of 93. They have just 24 kids listed on their roster.

I have respect for those programs who are willing to tough it out even when their enrollment is on the decline. Or in Garrigan's case, they have too proud a tradition to make a change to 8-man.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I believe Don Bosco can (and probably should) challenge themselves, if they so choose. It's the same reason why Regina finds 3A teams to put on the schedule, even though they could also ask to play up a class if they felt 1A competition was not challenging enough.....................................................
indifferent.r191677.gif

Originally posted by IAWrestler1905:

How many people commenting on this thread were actually at the game?

If you weren't at the game how can you possilbly know how the play by play went?

I can see a good amount of the people on this thread couldn't wait to cast stones at DB. And for what?

It makes no sense.

Newell Fonda put up 92 tonight, heck Riceville put up 72 on CAL, Meskwaki put up 80, points come easy in 8 man.

Tri County was plain out matched tonight, it wasn't there fault & it sure wasn't DB's fault. Tri County only had 2 seniors. But you can't expect DB not to get some varsity reps in less than a week from the playoffs. DB ran less than 20 plays tonight & scored over 100....yes less than 20 plays...what did you want them to do? Keep in mind no varsity players played in the 2nd half & a team of only freshman played the entire 4th quarter.

For people to call this team out is ridiculous. If you were at the game it was very clear DB was never trying to run the score up. They passed the ball 1 time! Yes 1 time & that was on a 2 pt conversion.

I see people suggesting DB take a knee...at what point do you do that...how less embarrassing is that to the team you're playing? If I'm playing football & the team I'm playing against starts taking a knee at midfield I'm more than embarrassed at that point.

The backlash I'm seeing on this board tonight is beyond inappropriate & really shows the ignorance of some posters.
What, you didn't know? People are suppose to be outraged at stuff like this. It's like....a guideline, man.

Whenever this happens there is always the people ranting on both sides. My personal belief is you don't put 3 digits up. Sure run you offense till you get 1 TD away. Then run out of bounds if you get in the clear and take a few knees. Do whatever it takes.

My school is in the same conference as DB in basketball and baseball. There fans are the worst I have ever seen. I am sure they are happy scoring that many points.

I simply cannot wait until DB plays some actual competition and gets beat by 4+ scores. Then get to hear all the DB drama mommas tell us all how they really should have won because they're DB. Classless team.

This post was edited on 10/25 1:05 PM by zay_go_rams

I suppose this was only fair. I mean, Dunkerton's players were so selfish for sticking up for their teammate and taking a forfeit last week, so it's only fair that Don Bosco's players got to be selfish and drop triple digits on someone last night.

The sarcasm is pretty thick in this post, for anyone who didn't pick it up right away.

A year removed from a 1-9 season DB had 43 players on their roster according to Quikstats..that was their last year in Class A. I don't think they went to 8-man because they were worried about participation levels.

This post was edited on 10/25 12:24 AM by OHS4life
Class is not determined by participation levels, it's determined by student body population size. How is that a complicated idea?

Originally posted by holymoly1:
My school is in the same conference as DB in basketball and baseball. There fans are the worst I have ever seen. I am sure they are happy scoring that many points.
The asininity in this post is astounding

I don't know about all of you, but I'd be more embarrassed if I had a teams freshman team kneeling on our varsity team.

Originally posted by notlongago:

A year removed from a 1-9 season DB had 43 players on their roster according to Quikstats..that was their last year in Class A. I don't think they went to 8-man because they were worried about participation levels.

This post was edited on 10/25 12:24 AM by OHS4life
Class is not determined by participation levels, it's determined by student body population size. How is that a complicated idea?
The complicated part is how Don Bosco was above the line at least two years in a row and still are in 8-Man. From my understanding of the rule they should have been bumped up regardless of projections, but I'll have to go look at the rule again to know for sure.

First of all the comment that they are a church school has no bearing on this. I think that the staff should be commended for getting 44 or 42 kids out for football. This is what it takes to be competive in 8 man an too have more effective practices. I also know that having coached against them in the state semi finals they were a class act during and after the game in which we played. We also had 37 players on our roster at the time. But if being honest as a don bosco fan you know in your heart the last 12 points could have been avoided. The score does not help your team in any way. I enjoyed the 78-76 game we played. An admire the program you have built it is only thru hard work these things continue.

You can tell they are happy. They are so stuck on themselves they cant imagine why people are upset about this. I have heard that about their fans from many people also. Sad. I guess they know more than the rest of us and are better than us. Puts a bad rap on the Catholic schools.

Like last year, they claimed they had all but 4 boys out for football. They suited all the boys for the game 40 some. Then when the high school band was out and played there were 10 boys in the band. Not in football uniforms. So wait, did they borrow the extra 6 guys from another schools band. You cant believe a thing they say.

Bosco has never been known to have the Gus good sports of fans. Even many of their own fan base find some of them embarrassing. That being said every school has at least 1 parent/fan that gives them a bad name. From what I have seen from watching them play the kids are good kids. BTW I'm not a Bosco fan and do feel they should not be in 8 man.

This post was edited on 10/25 9:47 AM by hawkcub

You guys are just ruthless aren't you? For the person saying "Bosco will be beat by 3+ scores against "real" competition"...I really hope you're joking. Everyone said that last year. And the year before. You people are so judgmental and contradictory. You say Bosco should NOT be aloud to play 8 man because they are successful then you turn around and say how they will be killed by other teams in the playoffs. May I reffer to last year in the semi finals when DB was supposed to be steam rolled by Adair then they won something like 76-16? Or should I refer to the fact that they have lost one game in 8-man and it was the finals their first year.

People's aggression on this thread and toward DB in general is disgusting. I'm assuming NO ONE that has put Bosco down has ever actually sat down and talked to members of the Bosco community. Believe it or not we are not this evil, devilish, greedy, selfish bunch we are made out to be. But I mean go ahead and keep judging because anyone who tries to honestly make a mends with people gets thrown to the wolves around here I guess. I'm sorry that this is what the message boards has come to...ruthless complaints and aggressive accusations.

I think the words ruthless, and greedy could be used when a team beats a team that bad. Maybe think about the other team whos boys are probably nice, great boys also, who are trying their best, and to have that done to them. Lets try and turn this around. Poor Don Bosco, I dont think so. You are just making it sound worse for your team B2B.

First of all, Pixlar, I commend you for your comment. Thank you for recognizing we are not all some big bad people. I enjoyed playing the game and can say your team was a class act as well. Could have gone either way and was the most exhausting game of my life. Thanks coach!

Now Trip...the post about number just furthers my point. Nobody claimed that Bosco had all but 4 boys in the school suited. All but 4 ELIGIBLE boys maybe. That does NOT include band members. They are ineligible because of the fact that they are in band and they are excluded from numbers available to play football. It's assinine how you're now stopping to the level you're at, trying to pick a part every possible thing DB could be scrutinized for. You're running into brick walls...please be more respectful to a program that went from 1-8/9 to championships in less than 5 years. They deserve it. I'm not saying the blowout was right, and I'm not "happy" as someone claimed.

I'm not in any way making this a poor DB scenario. I never claimed the score was just or right. I just said what else can you do? As others have pointed out, having freshman kneel on purpose is a blatant sign of disrespect. Why was there not a thread trashing Central for their big points? Because of the fact they were 6 points from 100? I don't buy it. People are looking for a reason to lash out. And DB is now the answer.

Bosco is hated because of their success. Plain and simple. If the haters posting are adults, you should be embarrassed. Apparently everyone has forgotten how Bosco only won one game in 2010. Bosco has been on the receiving end of repeated beatings year after year until a new coaching staff was hired. People should get their facts straight, Bosco can not "lie" about their numbers for the beds. You people are showing how uninformed and how super UNintelligent you are. Did you know Bosco's 3rd grade class has 4 boys in it? I did my research before posting! My point, Bosco's numbers are dropping, and the best choice for the school's future is to play 8 man. What class you are in, is not determined by talent, participation numbers, or coaching abilities. It says a lot for Bosco's school, parents, and community, that the participation numbers are so high. I am embarrassed for the people who are posting some of these posts. Some of you people should hang your heads for your uneducated, ridiculous, untrue posts! Get the facts before you post. Regardless of the score, people would bash Bosco. Always will, of course, until Bosco starts losing. Then everyone will be happy! Let's say Bosco's FRESHMAN took a knee at the goal line or fumbled on purpose in the 4th qtr like the haters "claim" they should have....then all of you complainers would be on here saying how Bosco embarrassed Tri county and how un-classy that was. It is a no-win situation for Bosco because the haters will complain no matter what Bosco does. Get over yourselves and I'll send you some tissues to wipe your tears. Now, dedicate some of your time to busting on some of the other teams last night that "ran the score up"(Guthrie Center 99 and Newell Fonda 92). Oh, wait, they are not Don Bosco, so no one will bash them. By the way, the highest scoring high school game was the 256 points by Haven, Kansas in 1972....just to address another uneducated poster! If you don't like the 102 score stop wasting your time bashing Bosco and go complain to the state. Bosco doesn't make the rules, or break the rules. If Bosco was as "disrespectful and un-classy" as all the haters think they are, the score would have been similar to Haven, Kansas's score of 256 last night. If the haters on this board were "classy people" they'd be on here giving the Bosco boys credit for their hard work and dedication. To the Bosco community, football players, and coaches....I tip my hat to you. You have created an amazing football team and best of luck to you at the playoffs, you deserve the success you have accomplished. To all the complainers, thanks for the Saturday morning comedy! Haters keep on hating!!! And Bosco, I hope you keep accomplishing your well deserved success!!!

I remember when Bosco started their program in04. They were horrible for years. They only had 20 some kids out. Congrats on turning this around, they went to 8 man i believe when they still didnt have participation maybe, not sure. I always heard rumor that you're wrestlers were never allowed to go out when the program first started, and when they did allow them that is when you started seeing success. Would love to know if accurate. Central did get a huge backlash at scoring 94 as well as other things. If you have success someone is always coming after you. I can't wait and do hope that Central and Don Bosco meet, it could be another epic game.

No one is hating the Bosco kids. They are not the ones calling the plays. Its the adults at Bosco that are a joke. Oh what a great coach, he scored a 102 points. CLASSY!! Im sure the kids are great kids. BUT now you have a great classy coach who is the leader. It makes everthing great!!! Also, winning a state championship must solve everything and give you an excuse for everything. Again, read what other people from other towns think about what happened. If it makes you feel better about denying it, or reminding yourselve you won a championship so be it. It doesnt change what people outside of your program think. Its your reputation, and remembering the championship is being replaced with all the negative, thats what the outsiders that are not from Bosco are going to remember.

Catholic schools have no reason to report all there students as they dont get money for them. They could have 50 more students then they report and the State wouldnt know. Its been that way forever.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the absolute truth and nobody from DB can argue it and if you've noticed they avoided this statement.
This post was edited on 10/25 11:50 AM by RVHAWKXX

The year before DB went 8 player they were 8-3 and made the playoffs, that's not struggling, DB was over the beds limit but projected they would be below so the state let them move down. What happened before that doesn't matter.

I was at the game last night, I don't care about the number being 2 digits or 3, just a number. No doubt Tri-County is down, TC is JV team with 2 seniors playing a varsity schedue. But some how, almost every other game the 2nd half we match up pretty well and have a OK half. I didn't count heads and check grades but once about half way thru the 3rd, in the offense backfield DB had a senior, a junior and freshman. It looked to me they played their 3rd string varsity players, don't think many of the JV players made it in.

When TC went 8 player it wasn't because of a projection, it was because we had 11ish players in Junior high. DB still has 25 on thier JH time. 3rd grade is a long way from JH.

Don't say those juniors and seniors deserve playing time, if DB was playing 11 there would have a lot more playing time to spread around.

Something not mentioned is TC scored first and was beating the defending 8-player champs for a breif little bit.

I think it way past due to move the 115 beds number down to 90 or so, bring 8 player back to what it was meant for, not a team with 36ish players standing on the side lines watching.
This post was edited on 10/25 11:53 AM by roosterk

Originally posted by RVHAWKXX:

Catholic schools have no reason to report all there students as they dont get money for them. They could have 50 more students then they report and the State wouldnt know. Its been that way forever.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the absolute truth and nobody from DB can argue it and if you've noticed they avoided this statement.
LO-f'ing-L.

If the haters only come out because of success, then why aren't teams like Exira, Fremont Mills, Glidden and MMC being hated on for the success they've had in recent years? I would think some of the haters have to be there because of poor sportsmanship

It honestly seams to me that you all (along with other teams/fans) have an underlying hatred for Bosco. Refer to my post a while back in this thread about if you have met anyone from Bosco. As a player and a fan, I have never judged a team to the point of no return like you all seem to be doing. PLEASE ANSWER: Have ANY of you ever met with a couple Bosco people at any time and talked to them? Ever? Do you even know our community?

The fact about the BEDs is this: It should be out of the equation. Speaking of "avoiding" things...nobody gave feedback when I mentioned the fact that people are being undoubtably hipocritical when says DB shouldn't be playing 8 man, then following up by I hope they lose or in some cases saying DB WILL lose to these Western side teams. If you think DB will lose to all these 'elite' teams that means you think they would be a poor 11 man team. We have NO reason to lie about BEDs. I don't understand why it always goes back to that.

For example: Have any of you been to a Wartburg College game by chance? INSANE participation and numbers...why? Because they are a top team in the nation in their class which happens to be Division 3. Similar to the lowest class in Iowa HS...8 man. So with this argument transferred to the college level, Wartburg should be facing UNI because their sideline numbers are comparable? I want honest input on this because if that is the case you're just lying to yourself.

Do any of you Bosco lovers READ the points people make on here before you cry out about how this negative attention isn't fair? Talk about being uneducated...the Guthrie Center game WAS brought up in this thread. When Elkader scored 94 points there WAS a debate about that on here. Whenever you catholic schools get called out it's all a big sob story anymore. As for their being that many boys in the third grade class...I'm sure that's really going to stay that way all the way through high school.

To the ones saying it'd be more embarrassing if they let up on them, not really. I'm sure TC wouldn't go back home and say, "Oh yeah they got up 84-6 and then just started taking a knee before the goal line, who does that?" ...I'd thank a team for doing that. TC wanted nothing more than for that clock to hit 0:00...And to still be scoring on them with 4 minutes left in the game? Pathetic. Embarrassing. Classless.

This argument is beyond pointless. Should a team ever put up 100 on another team? Nope shouldn't happen at high school level little respect goes a long ways. Now for the people bashing on DB really that's what's wrong with society. You get mad at a team for putting in time and bettering themselves for a common goal? Really your mad at 15-18 year old individuals for going to the weight room running in off season instead of rotting their brains on video games like most kids? Shame on you and reevaluate your life. When's the last time you put forth so much effort towards something then when you actually get to your goal have it get knocked by people? Kudos to the kids of don Bosco who took a new program that struggled and said we want to change this, and kudos to the kids of this years team to follow in hue he foot steps of those people. Shame on coaching staff for scoring 100 points it's really that simple.

End of rant

Hawkeye...were you ever a passionate football player? Or any sport for that matter? Competitive spirit is a part of the game. When over half the plays were touchdowns, what else can you do? I know (as a player) if at any point we were losing, which in my freshman year was often. Our team would still fight to score and push hard even if it didn't benefit us in the end. Because you're there to play a game. As a player I know I would have never wanted a team to hand is the ball or give up. I want to earn things and make plays, that's what you're in the sport for. Not to be handed the ball freely by the other team. Maybe their mentality is a lot different...who knows. But if Bosco were playing in TCT's position I know they would not want the other team to lay down. As a sophomore I was given minimal playing time but when I was in, I felt on top of the world. If my coaches told me to go in and get ran over on purpose, I would have been very discouraged and upset.

Where were people expressing how mad they were at the players themselves? From what I've read everyone is calling out the coaches; the ADULTS.

Originally posted by tm33_08:

Originally posted by RVHAWKXX:

LO-f'ing-L.
This is the most blatant line of bullshit that I have ever heard. Hey RVHAWKXX, I have a better explanation as to why no one addressed it....BECAUSE IT IS HORSESHIT! I love how you go back to the same old tired line of crap that you were crying about last year. The numbers ARE REQUIRED to be posted to the state. What is posted is accurate, and ANY school can be punished if they are found to be falsifying these numbers.

Good Lord, the pure amount of false information on here is staggering. I particularly love the new posters..like Trip2011 and Hawkeye2010. Way to sign up just to make yourselves look like imbeciles.

Look, here are the cold hard facts, as a former DB coach sees them. Scoring 102 is unacceptable, no doubt. Did the coaching staff do it on purpose...doubt it. Was the JV and JJV in the rest of the game from the 2nd qtr on...absolutely. Is it more degrading for your opponent to take knees, run out of bounds, make turnovers on purpose, kneel before crossing the goal line....absolutely. It is what it is, and what it is...is a bad deal for both teams.

Some have made valid, well thought out posts. I particularly enjoyed reading Pixlar's post. Anyway, most of the posts are Pathetic. Embarrassing. Classless...

Oh, and OHS4life..."The CR Gazette is already knocking on you".......ooooooo really? Wow, maybe the 25 readers will think badly of DB...lmao. What a tool

From the west side of the state. I feel bad that team got 100 hung on them. I'd feel just as bad if they had 85 hung on them. If DB pulled their starters early there isn't a damn thing wrong with the final score. Telling kids to not try, to not play hard would be a much bigger disgrace than a lopsided final score!

I had this account made a week ago, nice try though. Do you want to talk about the 4 first posters on here that are siding with DB? All I had to read was "former DB coach"...CRRRRYYYY. CRY. CRY. CRY. I wish I could say I was at one point affiliated with the most hated school in the state. You guys will never see the wrong in this...and that's the sad part. See ya.

This post was edited on 10/25 1:02 PM by Hawkeye2010

I am not from Bosco. I merely feel bad for them. Even last week when Dunkerton forfeited to them, some how people still ended up bashing Bosco about the situation. It is pure jealously. When Bosco's wrestling does good they get bashed, when Bosco's football program does good, they get bashed. People just dig and dig to find a reason to bash them. As I stated before, if they would have took a knee before the end zone or purposely fumbled, they STILL would have been bashed. All the people bad mouthing Bosco are jealous. It is ok, you can admit it! Everytime Bosco does good there is an excuse.....cry, cry, cry. Obviously you have no idea who the group of coaches are that Bosco has, and you should be ashamed to bad mouth them. I have spoken with a couple of them on two occasions and they are great guys who work hard to help their boys become successful. Before they started coaching the team had approximately 18 players. The fact that they have fourty-some players and ninety-some percent of participation rate is a testament to the coaches. I know this because I enjoy watching high school football, and I follow high school football. As another person stated, you obviously do not know the community and fans either. I have attended games at Bosco before and they have always been very friendly and had great sportsmanship. Your posts are not valid and have no examples of horrible fans. Again, jealousy. I am not from Bosco, nor a fan, but.....GO DONS!!!! I will no longer waste my time reading this post, so don't waste your finger energy on typing. I have better things to do than read a bunch of non-sense posts from a bunch of jealous people. Pull out those Kleenexes and keep wiping the tears away. You might want to stop at Sam's and buy the economy pack of Kleenexes.

I have nothing against the players, I've even said to another parent at TC recently commenting about his son not getting in the Varsity game early enough. We have 16ish player, 8 have one game on Fridays, 8 have a game on Mondays. And any player when on the field should play hard. So I have no issue with DB's 3rd string varsity playing hard. My only "hard" feeling or maybe discomfort, is DB not matching up with the opponent. Varisty reps arguement, not valid they would be better praticing against themselves, their 3rd string is better than TC this year.

DB should have, and most teams do, match up player ability to player ability shortly after the continous clock kicks in and let the game end, gets over way quicker when nobody scores. And there was nothing to be gained by their starters playing and I don't think most did. But they quit backing off at 3rd string varsity based on the size of the kids playing.

Again too bad you have 16 juniors and seniors that don't get to play much, move up to 11 player and fix that problem.

Doubt there more than a few class A teams that have a bigger roster than DB. Kids are out to play football, not watch from the side line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT