ADVERTISEMENT

Don Bosco scores 102 points.

I am not one to complain much...but when I saw this I couldn't help but say something. That score is one of the most embarrassing things I have ever seen a team do to another. The coaches at Don Bosco should be embarrassed by that score. I dont care if they have the 8th string offense in to play against anyone...under no circumstances do you ever let the score get THAT out of hand. Keep it classy Don Bosco. I had thought fairly highly of that program until I saw that tonight. Total and complete disrespect is all that is.

It is crazy to think how a team could give up that many points. Maybe its time to bring back the 50 point rule. it would save the kids the embarrassment they are about to get.

Coming from a very good football and Catholic High school in Bishop Garrigan, and also having coached at Adair Casey when we were loaded, I am embarrassed. There were many times playing (not quite 100 obviously) and when I coached at AC we could have put up 100, but you just DON'T do that. I don't care what they say, you just don't let it happen as a coach, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

Coach, I hope you sleep well tonight. Even if it means throwing repeated interceptions, you do it to avoid the 100 point mark. Obviously your defense is preventing any scoring so skew the QB's stats a little, lower the team's yards per carry average and take some knees. Maybe even punt on 3rd down. Just don't score 100.

Oh for crying out loud! If your school can't stop Bosco's freshmen, that is not Bosco's coaching staff's problem. This kids are the varsity players of the future! It is game experience for those kids, who by the way, practice hard too! What would you have those freshmen do? Their parents drove that far hoping for a chance to see them play!

This post was edited on 10/24 10:23 PM by Scobelicious

Originally posted by Scobelicious:
Oh for crying out loud! If your school can't stop Bosco's freshmen, that is not Bosco's coaching staff's problem. This kids are the varsity players of the future! It is game experience for those kids, who by the way, practice hard too! What would you have those freshmen do? Their parents drove that far hoping for a chance to see them play!

This post was edited on 10/24 10:23 PM by Scobelicious
They can play as hard as they can but then take a knee before the goaline.

They get a pass because they are a church school and can do know wrong. These schools just piss me off all around. I will leave it at that.

#5... Thanks
Scooby... Never to early to teach young ones not to embarrass the other team!!! Sorry Scooby, Better?

This post was edited on 10/25 6:59 AM by leomattie

This post was edited on 10/25 7:01 AM by leomattie

Scobelicious, I would have been willing to bet $1000 that someone from DB was going to come back with that exact comeback. The freshmen did all the scoring, they deserve to play, they practice too, the parents drove a long ways..... NOPE, sorry, none of them excuses justify it. Especially when the other team only scores 6 points. Sorry, I'm right and so is everyone else not from DB, and you're wrong.

So unfortunate for this to happen. I feel sorry for those kids at Tri County because they do try, and I believe it is a classless act on DB's part. It is true to teach the young ones not to embarrass the opposing team as such. Also stated before, you just don't do it. Big bad Bosco.. Take it for what it is. Embarrassing.. Stay classy DB.

Originally posted by high90school:

I am not one to complain much...but when I saw this I couldn't help but say something. That score is one of the most embarrassing things I have ever seen a team do to another. The coaches at Don Bosco should be embarrassed by that score. I dont care if they have the 8th string offense in to play against anyone...under no circumstances do you ever let the score get THAT out of hand. Keep it classy Don Bosco. I had thought fairly highly of that program until I saw that tonight. Total and complete disrespect is all that is.
So basically you have no respect for the Georgia Tech football team (now) that won a game 222-0 back in 1919 when touchdowns were only worth FOUR points...................

Or is this one of those in-the-moment loss-of-respect kind of rants? And then you'll respect Don Bosco again in about 5 years when you're over this, if you'll ever be over what happened.....?

From what I am hearing,the JV was playing as early as the second quarter, correct? It was 66-6 at the half..so you're telling me after the JV already outscored them 20-0 in the second quarter, and then 24-0 the third quarter, they still needed those 12 points in the fourth to justify that they got proper varsity experience? That's a joke. You're a joke. The school looks like a joke. What did DB do once it was 102-6 and there was still 4 minutes left? Did they finally start taking a knee? The point is get a couple good plays in on each possession with your JV, but do what you can to keep it out of the end zone. You won't find one person outside of the DB system on your side. Have fun with the publicity from it.. The CR Gazette is already knocking on you.

This post was edited on 10/24 11:12 PM by OHS4life

Originally posted by OHS4life:
From what I am hearing,the JV was playing as early as the second quarter, correct? It was 66-6 at the half..so you're telling me after the JV already outscored them 20-0 in the second quarter, and then 24-0 the third quarter, they still needed those 12 points in the fourth to justify that they got proper varsity experience? That's a joke. You're a joke. The school looks like a joke. What did DB do once it was 102-6 and there was still 4 minutes left? Did they finally start taking a knee? The point is get a couple good plays in on each possession with your JV, but do what you can to keep it out of the end zone. You won't find one person outside of the DB system on your side. Have fun with the publicity from it.. The CR Gazette is already knocking on you.

This post was edited on 10/24 11:12 PM by OHS4life
So did you temporarily lose respect for Don Bosco as well, or is yours permanent?

There's absolutely nothing you can say that will justify that output. If you take a Tri County 8-man team..... They barely have enough for 11-man, hence them playing 8-man. Compared to a DB 8-man team that can put an 11-man team on the field along with 3 other 11-man practice teams. Something needs to be done for something like this to be prevented. Sure, DB has been to the championship the last two years. Tell me the last time they won a state championship in football? (honestly don't know, not familiar with their history) but I have played against DB in sports before, and I believe this finally shows what kind character they are teaching. Something like this can be prevented, no ifs ands or bts about it. Enjoy the publicity, embrace it. You've earned it. Best of luck in the playoffs!

A couple of things I find interesting.

First, I checked BCMoore's rankings, and Don Bosco as a 112-point favorite in this game.

Second, Don Bosco has 42 players listed on their roster on quikstatsiowa.com. Why are they playing 8-man football instead of 11-man?

You need to learn that what class you're in is not determined by how many players are on your team, but what your enrollment is. Bosco is eligible to play 8 man so why would they go up? Just because they are successful?

Originally posted by Kakiyosata:
There's absolutely nothing you can say that will justify that output. If you take a Tri County 8-man team..... They barely have enough for 11-man, hence them playing 8-man. Compared to a DB 8-man team that can put an 11-man team on the field along with 3 other 11-man practice teams. Something needs to be done for something like this to be prevented. Sure, DB has been to the championship the last two years. Tell me the last time they won a state championship in football? (honestly don't know, not familiar with their history) but I have played against DB in sports before, and I believe this finally shows what kind character they are teaching. Something like this can be prevented, no ifs ands or bts about it. Enjoy the publicity, embrace it. You've earned it. Best of luck in the playoffs!
Not sure if you're serious as they won the championship last year and this is only their 11th season.

Hard to lose respect when it never existed. Keep riding the DB train. There's always one...

Originally posted by Class A Fan 06:
They get a pass because they are a church school and can do know wrong. These schools just piss me off all around. I will leave it at that.
Actually when central dropped 94 for the second time this season, I suggested they take knees, punt early, etc. and I was lambasted by the "the young players deserve the chance" "they practice too" "if you do t like it, stop em" etc. talk. So not only is your assertion wrong, you're 180 degrees in the opposite direction.

Originally posted by thejumper5:
A couple of things I find interesting.

First, I checked BCMoore's rankings, and Don Bosco as a 112-point favorite in this game.

Second, Don Bosco has 42 players listed on their roster on quikstatsiowa.com. Why are they playing 8-man football instead of 11-man?
1) Because their projected BEDS fell within the limits, and class projections are dwindling, just ask the staff that had to be downsized before the school year.

2) When you're good, you tend to get good participation (I've heard upwards of 90% of eligible boys are on the team).

A year removed from a 1-9 season DB had 43 players on their roster according to Quikstats..that was their last year in Class A. I don't think they went to 8-man because they were worried about participation levels.

This post was edited on 10/25 12:24 AM by OHS4life

1) Bosco has a crazy high amount of participation. You can not say that they should move up classes because of high participation and success. Requirements are put it place for a reason...simple as that. You can't argue facts.

2) About running up the score...the freshman and sophomores playing in the game are on the team for a reason. The kids want to PLAY. The varsity played at a very high level, allowing these kids to play half of the game. Are you saying they should just throw away their possetions? Throw away their well earned time from practice that has finally transferred to (possibly) their first varsity game? The freshman coming in to kneel the ball at the goal line (IMO) is more embarrassing than scoring. I'm positive this is not the first blowout like this and I almost gueruntee people have never made as big a deal out of a game like this before. People are over reacting. What's done is done, embarrassing or not. The Dons earned their rank and are a very dominant team.

Catholic schools have no reason to report all there students as they dont get money for them. They could have 50 more students then they report and the State wouldnt know. Its been that way forever.

So Trip: You're saying catholic schools (in general) are good because they cheat their numbers?

Originally posted by B2B 14:
1) Bosco has a crazy high amount of participation. You can not say that they should move up classes because of high participation and success. Requirements are put it place for a reason...simple as that. You can't argue facts.

2) About running up the score...the freshman and sophomores playing in the game are on the team for a reason. The kids want to PLAY. The varsity played at a very high level, allowing these kids to play half of the game. Are you saying they should just throw away their possetions? Throw away their well earned time from practice that has finally transferred to (possibly) their first varsity game? The freshman coming in to kneel the ball at the goal line (IMO) is more embarrassing than scoring. I'm positive this is not the first blowout like this and I almost gueruntee people have never made as big a deal out of a game like this before.[/B] People are over reacting. What's done is done, embarrassing or not. The Dons earned their rank and are a very dominant team.
Really? You're positive about this? According to sportsspotlight.com, the 102 points is a new single game scoring record, so I'm pretty sure this IS the first blowout like this.

No excuse to score 102 points…you take a knee. I don't care if it's freshman or not, you do the right thing. Bosco didn't.

My coach told us that we would never score 100. It is humiliating for both schools. The worst we ever had was 77-0 at half time and we throttled the attack way down. There is absolutely no reason for this in my opinion. I understand they were ready to go after last week, but it's pretty unnecessary. You fumble the ball on purpose or something to keep it somewhat respectable.

I'm willing to bet 102 is in fact not the single game scoring record. And there you go again like others, twisting words to make them tailored to your specific complaint. I did NOT say there was a LOT of games like this. I was saying there have been blowouts in the past, why is this one sooo disrespectful? Honestly curious where people are getting this. I get its a huge margin, but lately (and historically) it seems that weather Bosco is winning or losing, people just love to talk about them. Mostly in a negative way.

Just ponder this for a while. If you were a part of a small community and small school system that is trying to produce success in every way possible, and are successful in doing so...then everyone else puts you down and judges, making accusations and excuses as to "why you don't deserve it" or "how disrespectful they are" would you (as a member of the community) not feel like your back is against the wall for no reason? I'm just saying, please understand and think through any ridicuel before posting it again.

I dont see anyone but Don Bosco people that thinks this is ok. They are trying to argue its ok. That in itself should tell you something.

They qualified for the playoffs (2011 class A)the year before they dropped to 8-man, in the 2 years they've been in 8man they've reached the championship twice and are well on their way again this year

Stop throwing a sob story like you're the first team to ever get scrutinized for this. When the Bosco coach saw that score reach 100, you can't tell me even a small portion of his brain wasn't thinking about the repercussions of this. Like I said, they aren't the first team to hear about it. For example, Elkader having scores of 94-14 and 94-7 just looks bad on them. I'm surprised no one has brought up the GC/Adair Casey game from tonight where GC scored 99 points...but to Adair Casey's 66. This one I could give a little leeway since I don't know how the game went down. There could have been a two-three touchdown swing in the last part of that game. The thing with the Don Bosco/TC game is that it was done at half time. This one is on the coaches... This is where you say to your freshmen, "Hey, you're doing a great job out there. You've out scored them enough, throw or run it right into the ground now." This would have been a great opportunity for those coaches to teach a lesson about sportsmanship, but instead they taught them the complete opposite.

Bring on the 50 point mercy rule. I'd be curious to see how some high school baseball games would go if it wasn't for the mercy rules in that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT