ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Openings 2017-18

No chance Lovell comes back to Linn-Mar to coach football. Two reasons. First, he lives in the Marion school district and has kids that go there including a boy who plays football who will soon be in high school. And secondly, there's no way he wants to put up with an administration like the current one that clearly puts no importance on supporting football and the football coaches.

Here are a few that I am sure would get phone calls from bigger schools, all though I am not sure any would have any interest. I am sure there are others, but I also think that there are coaches who would never leave there spot they are in.

John Olson G-R, three straight title game appearances, maybe he would want a new challenge?

Mike Parkinson Lynnville Sully, he has had very good sustained success over the last 6 years, I know he about left L-S although I am not sure if it was for coaching or not, but a good young coach.

Jerod Burns BGM, has been at BGM a while, but really turned that program from nothing to a very good program in the state.

Travis Kooima Western Christian, great young coach, not really sure that he would go to a bigger high school so much as maybe look to the college level.

Gabe Bakker Pleasantville, former Valley assistant and Iowa State player has really turned around the Pleasantville program, maybe he would look to move up a class or two in the coaching ranks.

Lance Pedersen Mount Vernon, to me he has a pretty great job at MV, but it was rumored that he was applying for bigger jobs last year, so if true I can't think but what he will continue to do the same.

This is just a short list, that I am not sure if any would truly would want to move up.
I don't think many coaches are willing to pack up there families to change coaching positions for a few more hundred dollars. Think of all the hassle with selling and buying houses etc... Its not like the 4A coaches are making tons of money compared to the 2A-3A schools. It seems like it is the assumption from 4A people that it is such a great move from 2A-3A to 4A and I don't think that is the case that often. There is a lot of benefits to coaching in a smaller district. Might make sense for young Coach with no family yet.

I agree with everything you wrote, he just asked for a few lower level coaches who could be successful at the upper levels and these are a few coaches who came to mind. For every Butch Pedersen or Bob Sanger that you have who is happy at there smaller school, you have the Gary Swenson or Tom Wilson who had success at lower levels but wanted to move up. Also if you figure in teaching a move from a 1A to a 3A or 4A school could be a 10 to 15K increase if not more, but there are also increases in cost of living.

I don't think many coaches are willing to pack up there families to change coaching positions for a few more hundred dollars. Think of all the hassle with selling and buying houses etc... Its not like the 4A coaches are making tons of money compared to the 2A-3A schools. It seems like it is the assumption from 4A people that it is such a great move from 2A-3A to 4A and I don't think that is the case that often. There is a lot of benefits to coaching in a smaller district. Might make sense for young Coach with no family yet.

I agree with a lot of you post. 4A has a small number of jobs that anybody would take if they could, a lot of terrible 4A programs that a quality coach who has good thing would never take. Where I disagree, the larger school districts do pay substantially more than the smaller ones in teaching contracts. Enough to make them tempting jobs often.

I don't think this is all that accurate. First of all, you have to take into account that teachers in urban areas make at least a couple grand more than ones that teach in rural school districts. Second, you mean to tell me that I could live in Des Moines or Cedar Rapids as opposed to Lynnville-Sully or Hull? Sign me up, especially if these are married coaches whose wives might enjoy the additional shopping centers and scenery around urban areas.

When you do very little with a lot, you aren't exactly welcome for long. Big time underachievers....have had a lot of talent the last few years and won nothing. Also heard he wasn't a big favorite of some parents and that someone on school board was ready for him to go. He also greatly over estimated himself....very arrogant and got out coached many times.

Here's the thing at WB... the culture needed to be changed big time, and Breuer came in and did that. He made football relevant again in the community, he got his kids to buy into him and his philosophy of being made in the weight room.

WBND began season 4-0 this year... got em over the hump by beating rival Mepo for the first time since 2009. I know Mepo struggled this year but all rivalry games are tough! Then he takes his troops down to #2 or #3 ranked West Branch (who hasnt lost in like 3 years or more at home) and beat legendary Coach, Butch Pedersen (not an easy task), then goes to traditional power-Fairfield for their first game ever in 3A and holds them off for yet another road victory. They then beat a struggling Ft. Madison team.

Then this is when the wheels fell off... and I heard from a reliable source that a parent/school board member went off his rocker at the Keokuk game... the kicker to this is that Breuer was called in to administration prior to the game because this "parent/SB member" didnt think they were having enough "fun." yes, you read that right... they were 4-0 and werent having any "fun." WBND had 6 turnovers against Keokuk and loses a close one. On top of this, Speedster RB Trousil was injured yet again (against West Branch) and played hurt most of the year. They sat him a game or two to get heeled up but just wasnt the same with his nagging injuries.

WB then loses a close game to Mt.Pleasant... a game they should have won but the tone had been set already by the "parents/ community members." They then finished the season with a brutal Washington, Solon and hot Osky team to end season at 4-5. Long story short, I heard he just couldnt take the parental badgering any longer... Far too often, are you now seeing this become an issue... parents- they need to accept their role as just that, the parent, support their child and sit back and trust in the coaches and the program instead of undermining it. Great programs are built from an All-In approach/support system from all angles. This "parent" thing needs to get under control before you start to see more coaches leaving the game, which is awful and very unfortunate.

I dont know where Breuer is headed but I have heard rumors of moving back to NE Iowa to be closer to his daughter. I have also heard from coaches that Breuer knows his stuff, is passionate about the game of football and his kids and runs his program the right way. Best of luck to him and his coaching staff... its unfortunate to hear he is leaving that program.

Any idea who may be replacing him?

I heard that when he left Clayton Ridge for West Burlington it was to be closer to family, I don't know if that is true or not, but that is what I heard. As for the parents it is unfortunate that more and more it seems like there are only two types of parents, the uninterested/involved who expect teachers/coaches to do everything to raise their kids but complain if they don't get something. Or the parents who think their children are perfect, and have absolutely no expectations for them, the kids have a sense of entitlement, and don't expect to work for anything, but still be the star of the team and win all the games because that is all they know, and it sounds like this is the type of parent you have here. It used to be parents supported their children, but still held them accountable for their actions, and expected them to show respect and follow the leadership of teachers/coaches, and only bring a complaint if there was a major issue that arose nothing to do about playing time, or "Billy" not being able to take a little constructive criticism. I really feel that if you are going to have a successful program, yes you need buy in by the players, but anymore you need the buy in from the parents as well.

I heard that when he left Clayton Ridge for West Burlington it was to be closer to family, I don't know if that is true or not, but that is what I heard. As for the parents it is unfortunate that more and more it seems like there are only two types of parents, the uninterested/involved who expect teachers/coaches to do everything to raise their kids but complain if they don't get something. Or the parents who think their children are perfect, and have absolutely no expectations for them, the kids have a sense of entitlement, and don't expect to work for anything, but still be the star of the team and win all the games because that is all they know, and it sounds like this is the type of parent you have here. It used to be parents supported their children, but still held them accountable for their actions, and expected them to show respect and follow the leadership of teachers/coaches, and only bring a complaint if there was a major issue that arose nothing to do about playing time, or "Billy" not being able to take a little constructive criticism. I really feel that if you are going to have a successful program, yes you need buy in by the players, but anymore you need the buy in from the parents as well.

Interesting information, I had heard from a coach in the area that he had accepted the Defensive Coordinator position at Lincoln HS in Des Moines for Andy Campbell, but rescinded the position to take the head coaching gig at Clayton Ridge.

Again, I don't want to speak too brashly on a guy that I don't know. But he sounds like your stereotypical journeyman high school coach. Always looking to climb the ladder, sometimes one year at a time.

Bump, have there been any more openings anyone has heard of, seems kinda slow lately.

Very slow lately. There was a flurry of jobs open right away, but has now cooled off considerably

Doing some research and some communicating with a teacher at SEHS, I would suspect that Gerry Miller will be Dick Tighe's replacement at Fort Dodge St. Edmond. Miller is already the Head Girls Track coach at SEHS and is on the baseball coaching staff as well.

Again, not a confirmation. But this is an educated guess.

Reactions: DarkThunder#61
Very slow lately. There was a flurry of jobs open right away, but has now cooled off considerably

I would suspect things will pick up during and after winter break.Coaches have time to sit down, reflect, and speak to family members. Denny Muller resigned in January of 2015. Oskaloosa hired Jake Jenkins after spring break. Bondurant-Farrar didn't hire Zach Pfantz until April. Ankeny hired Rick Nelson the weekend of the Drake Relays. Rich Mayson was hired by Ottumwa in May. Plenty of time on the carousel left.

Jon Borer is the new coach at St. Edmond.

Buena Vista grad and previously coached at a catholic school in Nebraska.

Fort Madison is open, not too surprising, the AD has been the coach the last two year after not being able to fill it when it was open the last time.

Clarke has an internal posting only for Head Football Coach, I think most school districts post it to internal candidates first then open it up, so I would guess theirs will be open too.

With CMB splitting, both jobs will be open. Rob Luther is stepping down as HC, and I don't know that either Baxter or Collins-Maxwell has named replacements. I'm not sure what C-M's status will be for next season.

Baxter, at minimum, will play an 8 man JV schedule with plans to join an 8 man district in 2018. They have petitioned the state to let them join an 8 man district next fall, however, but I haven't heard if they received approval or not. I think that was more hopeful and not an expectation, since it will mess up two separate football districts with it being a mid term switch.

I do know both schools are joining the Iowa Star Conference next fall for all other sports. Baxter had tried to join the South Iowa Cedar League, but hadn't gotten an approval or denial back and wanted to get things moving forward.

OK Here the four options Baxter has

First option: Petition to play down to 8 man.

Now if that doesn't go through until after next football season

Second option is play the 2A team with kids the have.

That won't happen.

Third option do not have a varsity team next year. Do what South Hardin did.

Fourth option join a 2A or 3A team for one year. It must be a 2A or 3A school they join for football for one year.

Last edited:
Camanche is now Open

Regarding C-M and Baxter. It is my knowledge that both will play 8 man, but not be eligible for the playoffs.

I need someone to fill me in as to why CMB split. I was confused as to why Iowa City was adding another high school, but this makes no sense to me.

CMB split because the two separate school districts were not getting along, and I guess there has been some tension for a while now. They never consolidated, instead they just shared athletic programs, I'm not even sure there was any grade sharing between the two districts, because Collin Maxwell, and Baxter each always reported their own BEDS number. Overall I think most people see this as a bad move with both struggling to survive without joining someone. I could see Baxter joining Colfax Mingo and creating a new CMB, and I see Collin Maxwell joining with possibly Colo Nesco, Ballard, or Nevada, likelihood probably in that order

I'll say I'm a little bit surprised by this, more so that he left Washington more than Linn-Mar hiring him.

Will be interested to hear the reasoning for this. Seems like a step down for James, but I'm sure there's more to the story.

I will say two things. One, I think you are about to see a rapid decline in the CRW program. They had an average soph group, one of the worst freshman groups I saw all season, and have heard the talent isn't there in the middle schools either.

And two, his son teaches in the L-M district and was just announced as the golf coach at L-M also.

I will say two things. One, I think you are about to see a rapid decline in the CRW program. They had an average soph group, one of the worst freshman groups I saw all season, and have heard the talent isn't there in the middle schools either.

And two, his son teaches in the L-M district and was just announced as the golf coach at L-M also.

Interesting. I believe Linn-Mar had a decent freshmen class on the field this year. But still. Just seems odd to see a guy leave a program that has been to the Dome three years in a row.

I don't think it is a bad move by any means for Coach James, I was just surprised to see it, he is older so you wonder how long he will coach, and I believe that he was a Washington lifer, but with all of the scandals hitting that high school, and a possibly lack of talent coming up he may of saw it as a chance to move. I do think Linn Mar is the school in eastern Iowa that has the best chance of any to get all of their athletics to the level of the DSM suburb schools with a very large enrollment that is growing with new subdivision continuing to pop up in northern Marion, and overall a high socioeconomic school district.

Also, keep this in mind. CRW is a part of the Cedar Rapids School District. When Paul James wants some money for something (let's say $3K for some new blocking sleds), he has to take that request to the school board. They have to not only consider his request but those of CRK and CRJ also. L-M is the only school in it's district, a lot less red tape to deal with.

I don't think it is a bad move by any means for Coach James, I was just surprised to see it, he is older so you wonder how long he will coach, and I believe that he was a Washington lifer, but with all of the scandals hitting that high school, and a possibly lack of talent coming up he may of saw it as a chance to move. I do think Linn Mar is the school in eastern Iowa that has the best chance of any to get all of their athletics to the level of the DSM suburb schools with a very large enrollment that is growing with new subdivision continuing to pop up in northern Marion, and overall a high socioeconomic school district.

I wasn't aware of any scandals taking place at CRW other than Lombardi's foul mouth and recruiting athletes away from other CR schools.

But then again, maybe we're talking about the same scandals....

The scandal with the substitute teacher, principal and all of that, James was already done with A.D. duties by the time is all came about, but I would assume that he had a good relationship with the principal, and had some insight on the situation that he may have wanted to get away from the school.

I had never thought of the red tape aspect of the situation but that would be true as well.

CMB split because the two separate school districts were not getting along, and I guess there has been some tension for a while now. They never consolidated, instead they just shared athletic programs, I'm not even sure there was any grade sharing between the two districts, because Collin Maxwell, and Baxter each always reported their own BEDS number. Overall I think most people see this as a bad move with both struggling to survive without joining someone. I could see Baxter joining Colfax Mingo and creating a new CMB, and I see Collin Maxwell joining with possibly Colo Nesco, Ballard, or Nevada, likelihood probably in that order

Yep, it's been a growing issue for around 4-5 years now. And no, there was never a Whole Grade Sharing agreement, although they had been discussing it for most of that 4-5 years.

It came down to one side was ready to jump in and the other had cold feet. A big part of that cold feet was the superintendent looking out for his best interest and a community group that was very vocal causing a lot of problems. I think the school board, the staff and the students were all wanting to share, then consolidate. Basically a few ruined things for the majority of both schools. So one finally cut sling.

Oh, and BTW. Baxter is now the Bolts, will wear purple, silver and black, will play 8 man next year (it's been approved) and has maybe one coach for next year (basketball is the only one I know for sure, but track and baseball are likely to stay the same)

CM is announcing their mascot tomorrow, is likely to play 8 man next year and the only coaches I know for sure are XC and softball.

If what I heard is accurate, both schools will need entirely new staffs for football, it sounds like none of the football coaches want to return.

Who is going to be Baxters Bball coach? Have they been in the system?

Oh, and BTW. Baxter is now the Bolts, will wear purple, silver and black, will play 8 man next year (it's been approved) and has maybe one coach for next year (basketball is the only one I know for sure, but track and baseball are likely to stay the same)

CM is announcing their mascot tomorrow, is likely to play 8 man next year and the only coaches I know for sure are XC and softball.

If what I heard is accurate, both schools will need entirely new staffs for football, it sounds like none of the football coaches want to return.

Who is going to be Baxters Bball coach? Have they been in the system?

From what I understand, Zach Hasselbrink, the current coach (in his 1st year), will retain the position next year if he wants it. He's been the JV coach for the last 4 years, but he runs a different system than Scott Brummel or Gary Plunkett (the last 2 coaches) did. Outside of Will Clapper, they don't have a ton of size, he wants them to press (which they haven't done in at least 5 years) and to run motion sets to set up open 3s. He hasn't been helped by only having 2 regulars return from a bad team last year.

Here's what I know for the 2 schools, so if anyone knows someone that might want to apply, be on the lookout for the openings.

Baxter
Football - open
V-Ball - Scott Ranck
XC - Open
Boys Bball - Hasselbrink
Girls Bball - Eric Padget
Track (It sounds like they're going with one HC) - Josh Russell
Baseball - Max Seeman
Softball - Open

CM
Football - Open
V-Ball - Open
XC - Jerry Meinerts
Boys Bball - Open
Girls Bball - Open
Track - Jerry Meinerts
Baseball - Open
Softball - Troy Houge

and obviously CR Washington is hiring as well.

Although I think they're going to go with defensive coordinator and longtime assistant Maurice Blue.

I sort of wonder if James took the Linn-Mar job so that Blue is able to get his chance at CRW

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT