ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Openings 2017-18

Jayhawkin

Freshman
Feb 28, 2007
Now that the regular season has ended, coaches start making plans to move on, resign, or take different jobs elsewhere. Does anyone know of any jobs currently open already?

Is it expected that there will be many openings? It has seemed like there have been quite a few the last couple of years.

Is it expected that there will be many openings? It has seemed like there have been quite a few the last couple of years.
I think so. A lot of current coaches are about to the end of the rope, in terms of ready to retire. Add in the added pressures that coaching has, more so than ever before, I think it's easier to chose family time and weekends, as opposed to answering emails from disgruntled parents and administrators. But that is just a guess. Maybe this year wont have many openings. It does seem cyclical.

Another legend is retiring as Jerry Staton is stepping down at Albia.

Also Sioux City West is open.

Was the Linn Mar Head Coach finally ran out of town by parents? I know that the new Marion coach was an assistant at Linn Mar, any chance he returns?

Reactions: FBisLife5309
Was the Linn Mar Head Coach finally ran out of town by parents? I know that the new Marion coach was an assistant at Linn Mar, any chance he returns?

Rumor is he is there top choice and he is also a teacher in their school system so it makes sense that he goes back.

The assistant coach who was the person that brought the most attention I don't believe was a coach this year was he?

Running list of openings:
Sioux City West
Albia
Linn-Mar
Des Moines North
West Burlington
St. Edmond

Last edited:
Has anyone heard of any other openings so far?

There was a post on football scoop that Des Moines North is no longer taking applicants, as they have had so many qualified candidates apply so far.

There was a post on football scoop that Des Moines North is no longer taking applicants, as they have had so many qualified candidates apply so far.
I believe this is still early on to have a ton of openings. I think Albia and especially LM will stir the market. If Lovell goes back to LM, that leaves Marion open again. That job attracted a pretty large list of candidates. I assume Albia will also attract their fair share. I do think it is very early in the process for most schools.

I believe this is still early on to have a ton of openings. I think Albia and especially LM will stir the market. If Lovell goes back to LM, that leaves Marion open again. That job attracted a pretty large list of candidates. I assume Albia will also attract their fair share. I do think it is very early in the process for most schools.

I agree that Linn Mar will "stir the market" it is the 4th biggest school in the state, with a pretty good tradition in athletics and used to be pretty dominate in football in the 80's and early 90's. I don't feel the same about Albia though, it is in a pretty isolated part of the state, and until Coach Staton got to town they had very little success in football. I also think that the success that you have seen from Albia in track and wrestling can be attributed to Coach Staton and his weight program.

Rumor is he is there top choice and he is also a teacher in their school system so it makes sense that he goes back.

I'd be surprised if Linn Mar brought him back. They need a new start there. They have wasted away more talent with the current regime and I don't see them bringing back any part of it.

What was the true reasoning behind Breuer leaving West Burlington? Hard to believe that a school so rich in overall athleticism (see track team) are so average at football....

Ha that's funny.... I wonder if the AD will just coach it himself

The problem with posting vacancies on footballscoop is that you get almost hundreds of football coaches around the nation that have no knowledge of North's situation, culture, records, or socioeconomic background. They just want to be a head football coach. The same can be said if West Monona posted a vacancy on their website. Just clearing the air that it's not like nobody applied for the North job.

Lincoln back to a record above .500.
East hung around with 3 suburban schools this year; held a winning record.
Roosevelt hired a coach out of SEC country and competed for a playoff spot.
Hoover has had a winning season 2 out of the last 3 seasons.
Would be good to see North get a guy who could get North competing with these four programs. Perhaps there's an unemployed head coach on the south side of Des Moines they could call......

Running list of openings:
Sioux City West
Albia
Linn-Mar
Des Moines North
West Burlington
St. Edmond
Essex
Durant

Last edited:
Lincoln back to a record above .500.
East hung around with 3 suburban schools this year; held a winning record.
Roosevelt hired a coach out of SEC country and competed for a playoff spot.
Hoover has had a winning season 2 out of the last 3 seasons.
Would be good to see North get a guy who could get North competing with these four programs. Perhaps there's an unemployed head coach on the south side of Des Moines they could call......

I would love to see Des Moines North be competitive in football, but that has to be one of the worst jobs in all of Iowa High School football. They won 2 games against the worst non district opponents you could possibly schedule, they had no sophomore team and they used their sophomores and freshman to play a freshman schedule that consisted of several freshman B teams. Whoever gets the job will have to contend with way more issues that just x's and o's and I hope the administration at North takes the time to find the proper fit or you'll see a revolving door occurring there

With CMB splitting, both jobs will be open. Rob Luther is stepping down as HC, and I don't know that either Baxter or Collins-Maxwell has named replacements. I'm not sure what C-M's status will be for next season.

Baxter, at minimum, will play an 8 man JV schedule with plans to join an 8 man district in 2018. They have petitioned the state to let them join an 8 man district next fall, however, but I haven't heard if they received approval or not. I think that was more hopeful and not an expectation, since it will mess up two separate football districts with it being a mid term switch.

I do know both schools are joining the Iowa Star Conference next fall for all other sports. Baxter had tried to join the South Iowa Cedar League, but hadn't gotten an approval or denial back and wanted to get things moving forward.

Yep. It sucks.

It will be worse for C-M, for athletics anyway. The biggest chunk of the returning athletes go to Baxter. Most of the returning FB players are from B, not that there are huge numbers either way. VB is split about evenly. Girls varsity XC are all from B, boys top 2 XC are from B. Boys Bball top 8 are all from B and mostly underclassmen (all 5 starters are from B, including 2 So and 2 Jr), Girls are split about evenly, though their best underclassmen go to C-M. Track for both teams are mostly B. Softball (minus Srs) are mostly C-M, not sure either school will have enough boys to field a baseball team after next summer, IIRC they dressed every Fr through Sr plus a couple of 8th graders and only had 15 on varsity.

Specifically with their FB team, it's going to be rough. There were only 5 So and 6 Fr out for FB this year and only about 13 total 7th/8th graders. I think there were 11 Jrs. Even if you split those exactly in half, that's only about 15 HS FB players for each next year. But, the numbers weren't drawn evenly. IIRC, 3 of the Jrs, 1 So and 2 FR were from C-M. Meaning, they'll have Fr starting on their FB team next year, whether they are physically ready or not. Baxter won't have to rely on them to start, but might have to use them as backups in case of injury.

Granted, that's assuming either or both play a varsity schedule, which isn't a given at this point.

What was the true reasoning behind Breuer leaving West Burlington? Hard to believe that a school so rich in overall athleticism (see track team) are so average at football....
When you do very little with a lot, you aren't exactly welcome for long. Big time underachievers....have had a lot of talent the last few years and won nothing. Also heard he wasn't a big favorite of some parents and that someone on school board was ready for him to go. He also greatly over estimated himself....very arrogant and got out coached many times.

When you do very little with a lot, you aren't exactly welcome for long. Big time underachievers....have had a lot of talent the last few years and won nothing. Also heard he wasn't a big favorite of some parents and that someone on school board was ready for him to go. He also greatly over estimated himself....very arrogant and got out coached many times.

I'm not on the boards to bash coaches, but I believe he took a coordinator position down in the KCMO area at one of the Lee's Summit schools. From my experience, the journeyman coaches who have no issue packing up and bolting from job to job and state to state don't last long. That, and they don't seem to hit it off very well with parents and the community. Journeyman coaches seem to love the game and the glory more than the kids and the community. Not saying these qualities to Breuer, a guy I've never known, but these seem to be qualities of guys who move around quite a bit.

Are there any "Tom Herman" type coaches at the lower class levels that might come up for some of these larger school or more prestigious jobs?

Here are a few that I am sure would get phone calls from bigger schools, all though I am not sure any would have any interest. I am sure there are others, but I also think that there are coaches who would never leave there spot they are in.

John Olson G-R, three straight title game appearances, maybe he would want a new challenge?

Mike Parkinson Lynnville Sully, he has had very good sustained success over the last 6 years, I know he about left L-S although I am not sure if it was for coaching or not, but a good young coach.

Jerod Burns BGM, has been at BGM a while, but really turned that program from nothing to a very good program in the state.

Travis Kooima Western Christian, great young coach, not really sure that he would go to a bigger high school so much as maybe look to the college level.

Gabe Bakker Pleasantville, former Valley assistant and Iowa State player has really turned around the Pleasantville program, maybe he would look to move up a class or two in the coaching ranks.

Lance Pedersen Mount Vernon, to me he has a pretty great job at MV, but it was rumored that he was applying for bigger jobs last year, so if true I can't think but what he will continue to do the same.

This is just a short list, that I am not sure if any would truly would want to move up.

Reactions: gfink
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT