ADVERTISEMENT

Western will roll into finals! How does this happen?

Ahhhh Yes! "Western has a stricter code of conduct than most." LOL. You don't know that for a fact and you sound like a tool for even saying it.
I can print the student handbook for you if you like.
Stricter than the RV, SC, & Sheldon for the same offenses. Those are the only schools I'm familiar with.

Conduct violation with e-cigs. 2 starters and a sub are out for the rest of the tournament. Someone else can name names. The short sightedness of high school kids never fails to amaze me.

Reactions: theocia
I can print the student handbook for you if you like.
Stricter than the RV, SC, & Sheldon for the same offenses. Those are the only schools I'm familiar with.

Yes please post a copy of the handbook. Also when you said "team rules violation," did you Really mean that? Or did you mean to say: "state law violation?"

This is a no-lose situation now for WC. If they lose, it's because they had 3 vital pieces missing, and if they win, they just show how deep their bench is.

Perfect storm for WC.

But I do know that for a fact because I have been part of different programs throughout including Western and most of the time Western's was stricter.

They could pull the West Sioux trick and have parents quick go to the school board and change their policy for the benefit of the team...
Heard through the grapevine that was a deal this past fall?

No doubt every school handles things a bit different. Hard to believe this is an issue at Western. What would Eekhoff have done to this said individual?!?! Woofta!

Why don't you do that?
Yes please post a copy of the handbook. Also when you said "team rules violation," did you Really mean that? Or did you mean to say: "state law violation?"
18 yo with e-cig (no law broken)
School's rule is anyone present, or even acting as a look-out gets same penalty, regardless of if on school grounds.
School's 1st offense is actually 1 day suspension + Sat detention. Further violations are stricter.
Team's code of conduct is harsher.

What school do you cheer for, must be a team that can't get by Western lately.

This is a no-lose situation now for WC. If they lose, it's because they had 3 vital pieces missing, and if they win, they just show how deep their bench is.
Perfect storm for WC.
I'd rather not have that situation.:(

Disappointed in these kids.
Poor decision, but letting your teammates down makes it even worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: nwibball
This also may bring the team together. Still, no lose for WC at this point. Win and you just proved you're unbelievable, lose and well.....you didn't have your guys.

What school do you cheer for, must be a team that can't get by Western lately.

LOL. No I'm not from Sioux center (although I support splitting SC and WC up for districts/substates at least every once in a while). Just keepin y'all honest is all.
P.S I am on the record saying that I was cheering for western this week. And I still kinda am.

Not my school, but really feel for the teammates.
Gotta think something that happened in a hotel with just a coach around could have been easily swept under the rug. Commend Coach Harmsen for doing the right thing when it could prove quite costly. I'd have probably sat them for a quarter for something like this.

Last edited:
Not my school, but really feel for the teammates.
Gotta think something that happened in a hotel with just a coach present could have been easily swept under the rug. Commend Harmsen for doing the right thing when it could prove quite costly.

Take it easy. I'm not AT ALL glee, and I don't think any of posts said that. I didn't say squat until I heard the "westerns code of conduct is stricter than most" comment. I am still planning to make the trip down and still plan on rooting for western and I think they can still win this next game. And yes I feel for the teammates and I know a couple of the teammates and I hope they can overcome. If these players are truly suspended, my respect for WC will jump up a notch, putting rules ahead of trophys. And I do give coach H credit in this situation, and I feel bad for him actually for having to deal with this. I'll say Western either loses a tough one, or I could honestly see them winning by double digits. WC by 9

Last edited:
Sometimes good kids make bad decisions too. Give credit to school/coaches for making decision. Too many times something like this gets swept under the rug because of mom/dad or because of the family name.

Reactions: Lyoncounty
I take one day off from all things basketball to actually get some work done this week and things get crazy. Feel horrible for the rest of the team. You worked so hard all year for the chance to play for a state title only then to have your teammates make a dumb choice that puts it all in jeopardy. Tough situation for those kids. I just hope they can rally together and still play a great game today. One thing is for certain, Western does not mess around when it comes to discipline. Even for it's athletes.

Something tells me the other WC kids that get to play today are licking their chops. This is the kinda stuff Western people thrive on. A challenge? Shoot bring it on. Our next 5 are better than your first 5...
They'll have them playing even harder than ever before. I would not pick against them today. No chance. Western wins by 10+.

Something tells me the other WC kids that get to play today are licking their chops. This is the kinda stuff Western people thrive on. A challenge? Shoot bring it on. Our next 5 are better than your first 5...
They'll have them playing even harder than ever before. I would not pick against them today. No chance. Western wins by 10+.
This was going to be a tough game even with their full compliment of players. If WC is actually down 2 starters and a sub, not even Jim Ekhuff could save them. WC loses by 8-10

With 4 kids out (3 that saw playing time), they are going to have to be efficient and stay out of foul trouble. What I hear is that you may see a sophomore who has played very little varsity, get the start today. IF Western gets a big lead, I'd look for Harmsen to pull starters ASAP to save on the legs.

Code of Conducts are pretty uniform across the board in the state of Iowa anymore, public or parochial. Now the basketball team may have rules above and beyond that, but that is coaches discretion.

Reactions: Greenway12
Yes please post a copy of the handbook."

From Page 22 of Handbook:
"Students in performance activities who use tobacco or e-cigarettes or have tobacco or e-cigarettes in their possession at any time during the season of that activity will, in addition to the above, be ineligible to perform in their activity for one-half of the activities for the first offense and the remaining performances for the second offense. The ineligibility period for the 1st offense can be reduced to one-fourth of the performances if the student confesses and does not lie."

Source: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FCuo749sXNSpEb1ACzgcM3Z9ueJU-cBicUYxfzHiAXc/edit

From Page 22 of Handbook:
"Students in performance activities who use tobacco or e-cigarettes or have tobacco or e-cigarettes in their possession at any time during the season of that activity will, in addition to the above, be ineligible to perform in their activity for one-half of the activities for the first offense and the remaining performances for the second offense. The ineligibility period for the 1st offense can be reduced to one-fourth of the performances if the student confesses and does not lie."

Source: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FCuo749sXNSpEb1ACzgcM3Z9ueJU-cBicUYxfzHiAXc/edit

Thanks. I'm still takin Western in this game. Just got a feeling I guess.

This was going to be a tough game even with their full compliment of players. If WC is actually down 2 starters and a sub, not even Jim Ekhuff could save them. WC loses by 8-10
I stand corrected. WC has earned my respect today on the court. No other program/team probably could have did what they did today.

Last edited:
Reactions: NWIAHawkfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT