ADVERTISEMENT

Western will roll into finals! How does this happen?

Nov 29, 2015
No offense to Camache or cascade, it's just sad to see these two teams in state when you have westl Lyon, Sheldon rock valley and Sioux center sitting home. I know I know poor northwest Iowa!! We just beat the crap out of each other and send one team The girls Union can get it right why not the boy's Union???

Not going with your argument necessarily but would be nice to do what south dakota did this year...it would equate to seeding each substate team 1-16 no matter on location to see what team makes it in

No offense to Camache or cascade, it's just sad to see these two teams in state when you have westl Lyon, Sheldon rock valley and Sioux center sitting home. I know I know poor northwest Iowa!! We just beat the crap out of each other and send one team The girls Union can get it right why not the boy's Union???

Hahaha. That didn't take long. I don't care how you do it, someone will ALWAYS complain. Go read the girls forum. There are complaints there too. Maybe the boys should add a class too/sarc

I watched the Western game and the Camanche- Cascade game and I would say that Western somehow survived their opponent's inability to make shots inside, and Cascade played a head-scratching game in which they took one bad long shot after another with an occasional effort to go inside. I don't know how Camanche lost twice, because tonight they were the clearly-better team. The skinny little guard Patel played a marvelously intelligent game for Camanche, getting a couple feet in front of the free throw line for one easy little jump shot after the other, at least early, and his teammates got to the basket for high-percentage shots.. Western may win, but I thought they didn't look nearly as strong as other years. Maybe the first game brings out the jitters. 2A looks wide open so far.

Last edited:
I'm basing this off of observing this one game only, but I was appalled with Camanche's shot selection. I understand that the Soenksen brothers are excellent players, but that resembled game AAU ball much more than Iowa high school basketball. I suspect they are very good when the outside shots are falling, but I don't see that happening consistently enough to be a title contender. We shall see.

Furthermore, they completely allowed Cascade to get the ball on the free throw line in the middle of their zone. Cascade should have eaten that up, but they didn't take advantage of it enough. Any team with an inside presence would have made Camanche pay for that.

Reactions: VanderHoops
Camanche played an odd game. They were able to attack the basket at will and only utilized that around 30% of their offensive trips. The Soenksen (sorry for the spelling) brothers were able to get to the basket against anyone on the floor, and that was in a zone, would have been much worse in a man-up defense.

Cascade was able to get the ball to the free throw line to the foul trouble Gonzales was in early on. Gonzales usually holds the paint down pretty well.

I watched the WC game....and they very well could win the title, but, last night they didn't show me the team that everyone hyped up on this site.

Camanche needs to speed WC up and try and gain as many possessions against WC as they can. Run, run, run!!!

Good luck to both teams!

If they try to run run run they will play right into westerns Hands. I may be totally wrong but I think Western wins this by 20-plus

Reactions: VanderHoops
I do think that you also have to take into account that Camanche had never been there before, Cascade had, to me Camanche was the better team, but seemed nervous being on that stage. I don't know if that being used to the environment will be enough against Western but I do think that you will see them play a smarter game.

Cry as much as you want, but it's not sad. The State Tournament is a representation of teams throughout the state, not necessarily the best teams.

If South Hamilton would maintained their double digit lead and pulled out the win as the #8 seed....what would that have said?

Would you have cried foul that Western Christian should have played a worse team in the field and suggested that South Hamilton was incorrectly underseeded as the #8 seed.....or would you have said that maybe the District/Substate play in NW Iowa did its job?

Last edited:
Reactions: roosterk
I never get this argument. Is the point of state to figure out who the best 8 teams are? Is it to figure out the best region? Or is it to crown a champion as the best team in that class? For me it is about finding out who is number 1. You get beat in substate guess what, it is not you. Sure you may be better than a team that made it to state and I guess if you want that as a consolation prize you can complain. But at the end of the day we have teams representing each area of Iowa and we will know who the best team is. That is what state is all about.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
I never get this argument. Is the point of state to figure out who the best 8 teams are? Is it to figure out the best region? Or is it to crown a champion as the best team in that class? For me it is about finding out who is number 1. You get beat in substate guess what, it is not you. Sure you may be better than a team that made it to state and I guess if you want that as a consolation prize you can complain. But at the end of the day we have teams representing each area of Iowa and we will know who the best team is. That is what state is all about.

As your username reads. I will assume you are being sarcastic as usual :)

Actual no sarcasm this time. I don't see getting to state as a consolation prize. If you want to be there, win the games. It is a pretty simple concept. With distances as a factor it is impossible to truly get the best 8 teams. There will always be complaints. If you don't make it to state it is because you lost. Tough break. Try again next year.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Sarcastico, ask Bill Harmsen what his goal is each year. His goal is to make it to state, not win state, but to make it to state. IPTV did a video on Western GBB a few years ago and he says it right in that video.

If the IGHSAU didnt do things the way they do, its safe to say Western girls wouldnt have made it to state last year. Pretty good chance they lose to Unity in regions. Them 2 being at state sure made an exciting championship.

My personal preference is not to have regional representation. I like how the IGHSAU does things and tries to split the top 8 seeds. Living up in the Northwest corner I am quite close to South Dakota. They went to a sweet 16 format. Based on power points they seed 1-16 and play it. Find a neutral site for the game. That wouldnt have helped WL this year, but i still like it better than how the lazy boys in Boone set up districts. Sioux Center and Western should not have to meet this many times in regions. They have both proven they are quality teams year in and year out. Split them up.

Reactions: sportsfamily1
Two schools of thought: do you want all areas of the state represented regardless of skill level, or do you want to try to get the best 8 teams at the state tourney. Both result in a state champion.

We actually can compare the two because Iowa has both schools of thought represented. I like how the girl's union does it better. I believe it is better for the tournament and for the sport to try to get the best 8 teams at state. It can be done as seen by the girl's side. Three years ago Unity and MOC/FV played in the girls 3A championship game. You can't tell me it is better for the sport to have those two teams play in a district final game.

I get what you are saying. I know for a lot of people getting to state is a reward all in itself. For me personally though I see it as just a means to the end, being a championship. You can't win state unless you get to state which is why it is so important. I just hate it when people complain that they might be better then a team that made it. If you want to be at state win the games. It's not the IAHSAA''s fault you lost because you had to play a better team.

This is just my opinion though. I'll concede others may disagree and have valid points in doing so. I can see the other argument as well.

Not trying to be an a$$. For discussions sake. So....hypothetically!!, let's start the tournament over and put the top 4 seeds in the top half of the bracket and the bottom 4 seeds in the bottom half. Let the top seeds beat on each other in super close hard fought games. Let's let the bottom four teams literrally do the same. And then let's watch the team that survived the top half of the bracket win the championship by 30.

Would you be ok if the bracket was set up this way??

Glad you admit that. And you're perfectly ok with that?

I am yes. You are NEVER going to get the best 8 teams there! NEVER!! Just get over it. Or....should we just do away with substate and call it state with 16 teams so everyone goes home with a trophy....or plaque. The girls don't either. The best team doesn't even win the title every year. It's a ridiculous argument. It's high school athletics. They can't even do it in the NCAA. They don't get the BEST 64 teams in the nation. Every year this comes up. Every year. Next up........the damn private schools.....3,2,1....GO!!!

Not trying to be an a$$. For discussions sake. So....hypothetically!!, let's start the tournament over and put the top 4 seeds in the top half of the bracket and the bottom 4 seeds in the bottom half. Let the top seeds beat on each other in super close hard fought games. Let's let the bottom four teams literrally do the same. And then let's watch the team that survived the top half of the bracket win the championship by 30.

Would you be ok if the bracket was set up this way??
That is a completely different scenario though. Once you get to state location is thrown out the window as everyone plays in the same place. I'm saying I like the way things are currently done. Split up the state into 8 regions and then have a champion for each. Bring all 8 champions from each part of the state together and let them battle it out to see who is the best.

You have to admit it means something to be the champion of NW Iowa every year. There is a sense of pride knowing you have beaten some of the best teams in the state and get to represent your area at the state tournament. I saw you admit that even you are cheering for Western. Why? Because they represent your corner of the state. Personally I like that aspect of it. I know it sucks when you are on the losing end of that, especially when you know you are better than some of the teams who did make it. So like I said, I can see the other side of the argument and I get where you are coming from. Again it is just my personal preference. I like the system the way it is. I wouldn't be distraught if it was tweaked either. I have no problem with the way the girls do things. Although it is easier for them with 5 classes. I wouldn't want to see the boys going that route.

Sorry not all of us are cheering for western!! (Even tho were from NW Iowa)Not all of us that are trying to recruit the best players from surrounding public schools!! And that happens!! Get over your elitist status!! Sarcastico your such a flip flopper I agree with this but not that!! As long as western keeps winning leave it alone mentality!! alot of people I talk to are starting to think western puts more into its sports than a Christian education again that's my personal opinion I might be being SARCASTICO

Sorry not all of us are cheering for western!! (Even tho were from NW Iowa)Not all of us that are trying to recruit the best players from surrounding public schools!! And that happens!! Get over your elitist status!! Sarcastico your such a flip flopper I agree with this but not that!! As long as western keeps winning leave it alone mentality!! alot of people I talk to are starting to think western puts more into its sports than a Christian education again that's my personal opinion I might be being SARCASTICO
Well someone is angry, haha. Lot's of crazy going on here. I mean just look at all the exclamation points.

Who has Western recruited to this team?

I would place a wager that public schools recruit athletes more than private school recruit athletes. Private schools recruit students. Their marketing campaign is to get students in the door. Typically, recruiting takes place by people associated with the school and not the school itself.

Spend some time in the travel ball world, that is where the big recruiting takes places. Kids spend the season together, travel and stay in hotels and have a lot of fun together. then they get to talking, hey you should come to (name of school). Nobody says anything when 4 kids open enroll to 1 public school so they can all play together.

Spend some time in the travel ball world, that is where the big recruiting takes places...
You speak the truth. My boys played travel ball/aau and that topic was brought up on numerous long car rides and sitting in random bleachers. My boys heard it from other boys, and more so we heard it from other parents. Might not be the school recruiting but may have well been. In our case it was the private school soliciting the public school, not saying it doesn't happen the other direction too. PS. We stayed loyal to our public school.

Spend some time in the travel ball world, that is where the big recruiting takes places...
You speak the truth. My boys played travel ball/aau and that topic was brought up on numerous long car rides and sitting in random bleachers. My boys heard it from other boys, and more so we heard it from other parents. Might not be the school recruiting but may have well been. In our case it was the private school soliciting the public school, not saying it doesn't happen the other direction too. PS. We stayed loyal to our public school.

I should have clarified a bit. I would say that it happens both ways.

Hearing team rules violation.
Since kids are involved, I won't speculate or name anyone.
I'm sure the written policy will be followed & Western has a stricter code of conduct than most.

Ahhhh Yes! "Western has a stricter code of conduct than most." LOL. You don't know that for a fact and you sound like a tool for even saying it.

Ahhhh Yes! "Western has a stricter code of conduct than most." LOL. You don't know that for a fact and you sound like a tool for even saying it.
But I do know that for a fact because I have been part of different programs throughout including Western and most of the time Western's was stricter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT