• West Branch

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Regina

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pinehawk "the 2 City High kids...."

Hmm.

I cannot name you one kid who came over from City High last spring that plays football at WB.

Again enlighten me on that one. Check the rosters.

Pinehawk "the 2 City High kids...."

Hmm.

I cannot name you one kid who came over from City High last spring that plays football at WB.

Again enlighten me on that one. Check the rosters.

Either they are not finalized, or something happened because no way one of those kids sitting out if it is up to him.

You also picked up a teacher and two kids from Regina for this school year.

One kid who played FB at City in 2018 moved to WB in spring of 2019

ONE.

He is not on the FB team in WB this fall.

Because he isn't on the team.
What difference does it make?

Just wanted to provide you with that pesky thing called a "verifiable fact". You've now realized it to be true.

I'm moving on. As should you.

With Ashton, Alec, and Nick W, the Regals should be salty come October. Tough out for many teams

Very strange...

Well, if true, that is a big loss. This was a kid with a football Hudl highlight page. I would probably rank West Branch lower than previously thought with that news.

Last edited:
FYI Just for the record, kids and parents move all the time - the question should not be whether kids move into a district or not but rather WHY did they move into the district. As a school board member, I would hope that the things my school is doing will attract other parents with kids (and hopefully they contribute). I would not call that "recruiting", its trying to be the best, most attractive school. Having said that, I am very opposed to recruiting in the form of promising special treatment in any form, financial or otherwise, trying to entice parents/players to move into the district. Obviously that is more difficult to prove as it is typically behind closed doors. Even coaches reaching out to individual families is pretty shady in my eyes. But don't presume kids moving in is "recruiting".

Reactions: WBBearsFollower
What if the new kid always ends up being the quarterback?
Then I think you need a pretty specific allegation.

Like Zowwy21 said, kids move for lots of reasons. As 1A schools I think we've seen many more "star" athletes move into 4A programs chasing college recruiting. I just don't see where it's a big deal in any 1A program.

The whole dynamic of why a program is stellar one year or for a string of years hinges on a lot of things, including the kids stepping up and making the most of their opportunities or on the flip side, injuries, coaching conflicts, other pressure on students. I saw this same thing thrown out against West Sioux in another thread. I don't think it's an easy thing to assess on paper, and it's really a disservice to these kids, who program to program work hard and put it all out there.

I hope this is the end of it - at least for a while. I really enjoy this place when the discussion is more on team play and less on pointing fingers without a lot of proof.

Then I think you need a pretty specific allegation.

Like Zowwy21 said, kids move for lots of reasons. As 1A schools I think we've seen many more "star" athletes move into 4A programs chasing college recruiting. I just don't see where it's a big deal in any 1A program.

The whole dynamic of why a program is stellar one year or for a string of years hinges on a lot of things, including the kids stepping up and making the most of their opportunities or on the flip side, injuries, coaching conflicts, other pressure on students. I saw this same thing thrown out against West Sioux in another thread. I don't think it's an easy thing to assess on paper, and it's really a disservice to these kids, who program to program work hard and put it all out there.

I hope this is the end of it - at least for a while. I really enjoy this place when the discussion is more on team play and less on pointing fingers without a lot of proof.

West Branch hasn't had a starting QB that attended Junior High in West Branch for the past 3 seasons.

Three years ago, the QB went 0-9 at his previous school before 'moving' to WB for his senior season.
The past two years, the QB attended South East Junior High in Iowa City before transferring to WB. He continued to live in Iowa City and his older brother attended City High.
But, maybe this is finally the season where West Branch finds a kid actually from West Branch to play QB.
These were both sports related transfers.

Somebody started this thread to discuss two specific schools, so I thought that's what we were doing.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
I also chuckle at the response when the shoe is on the other foot. Several years ago a certain school was making several allegations, heck even assigning unfounded ‘blame’. Now that they have had a string of success with players that played the majority of their football at other schools they seem to be bristling at the same questions that they previously asked. It may actually move past a chuckle.

The difference is one school recruits. 100% verifiable.

One school has families move to the district and be told they recruited the kid.

Shoe fits for both well

The difference is one school recruits. 100% verifiable.

One school has families move to the district and be told they recruited the kid.

Shoe fits for both well

One school is private so 100% of their students are recruited. The other has had some more interesting move in stories.

Beau Cornwell open enrolled before his freshman year. A lot of kids open enroll. It's life. Had he open enrolled after playing 3 seasons and excelling somewhere else then it's a story.

There is a kid at my old HS who lives 20 miles away. He open enrolls and plays FB. He also began here when he was in 3rd grade. That doesn't fit your narrative enough I'd bet.

The narrative is crafted by many. When the ‘recruiting’ conversations were started in earnest way back in 2010-2011 the response the school I support made was to have a poster made of ‘from first grade to first place’ showing that 20 of the 23 seniors that year had been at the school since first grade and the last transfer that started had arrived in 7th grade. Do you know what the green eyed rivals still threw out on this board? Doesn’t matter, they still recruit.... which they do, every day every year. They just try to do it from K on.

Did you happen to dig any further than Cornwell? There is more to the story that doesn’t fit certain narratives as well.

I apologize, as I am just an outsider looking in on this situation so I'm not familiar with all of the history. Can you clarify what you mean by "recruiting"? Are you talking parents have buddies from other schools that talk them into coming to their school or are you talking school officials/coaches sitting down with players' families and talking them in to coming and possibly giving them some sort of compensation or promise of playing time for attending?

I come from a small community pretty much in the middle of nowhere but even we, in a given graduating class, probably have 10-20% of the kids being transplants in sometime between 1st-12th. And while I totally understand the sensitivity around recruiting, I would caution against promoting too much 20 out of 23 as it comes across as they are somehow better than the 3 that didn't start there which may in fact detour transfers. No school should be looking to turn away kids. It's just a question of how hard they try and the means by which they attract new kids.

Reactions: GoEagles23
RECRUITING means offering kids an education and helping pay for it.

or

If school officials tell a kid to come to their school to improve sporting teams.

I'm pretty sure there is all kinds of talk at BBQ, dinner tables, over drinks about "hey, man, wouldn't it be awesome if Timmy came to X and joined us?" That's not recruiting. It is also not recruiting when a kid and his family come and visit your school and then visit other schools and then decide to attend your school. That's the family recruiting you. Not the opposite.

Well, if you ask the West Branch fans here all Regina kids are 'recruited' (except they can only name one kid who transferred about 7 years ago).

And, none of the West Branch kids were 'recruited' a bunch of top athletes just decided to transfer in (including their last two quarterbacks).

Just saw GoEagles post...in that case I can assure you that Regina does not 'recruit' anyone.

So, the issue is transfers. West Branch has been getting a lot of transfers.

Well, if you ask the West Branch fans here all Regina kids are 'recruited' (except they can only name one kid who transferred about 7 years ago).

And, none of the West Branch kids were 'recruited' a bunch of top athletes just decided to transfer in (including their last two quarterbacks).

Just saw GoEagles post...in that case I can assure you that Regina does not 'recruit' anyone.

What’s the big deal? If families seek out opportunities for their child(ren) to succeed in athletics or academics at a different nearby school then more power to them. I don’t fault them for doing so. Some do this earlier in the cycle then others, but who can blame them for wanting and providing the best opportunities. Isn’t that part of parenting, setting them up for success. I know I know, you have to teach them humility and how to lose as well, but you also have to teach them how to deal with success. It’s a no win in the eyes of the outsiders.

What’s the big deal? If families seek out opportunities for their child(ren) to succeed in athletics or academics at a different nearby school then more power to them. I don’t fault them for doing so. Some do this earlier in the cycle then others, but who can blame them for wanting and providing the best opportunities. Isn’t that part of parenting, setting them up for success. I know I know, you have to teach them humility and how to lose as well, but you also have to teach them how to deal with success. It’s a no win in the eyes of the outsiders.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. But, when many people use 'recruiting' and 'transfers' as a negative, to unfairly and incorrectly diminish the accomplishments of players...for nearly a decade...

And, then...when those schools whose fans were so loud and critical turn around and blatantly recruit and transfer in kids. It is very hypocritical. So, I'm going to point that out.

If a certain school hadn't suffered 10 years of unfair criticism regarding this issue, which other schools actually do and more often, it wouldn't probably be a big deal.

I apologize, as I am just an outsider looking in on this situation so I'm not familiar with all of the history. Can you clarify what you mean by "recruiting"? Are you talking parents have buddies from other schools that talk them into coming to their school or are you talking school officials/coaches sitting down with players' families and talking them in to coming and possibly giving them some sort of compensation or promise of playing time for attending?

I come from a small community pretty much in the middle of nowhere but even we, in a given graduating class, probably have 10-20% of the kids being transplants in sometime between 1st-12th. And while I totally understand the sensitivity around recruiting, I would caution against promoting too much 20 out of 23 as it comes across as they are somehow better than the 3 that didn't start there which may in fact detour transfers. No school should be looking to turn away kids. It's just a question of how hard they try and the means by which they attract new kids.

The school does not turn away students. That poster was in response to some wonderful stories that were being thrown out here and in other locations. People making garbage up and diminishing the results of hardworking kids that achieved at a very high level. Some green eyed stuff with no basis. They couldn’t handle the success of others and had to place the ‘blame’ somewhere. Now that people have pointed out their hypocrisy there seems to be issues.

You make A LOT of claims re: WBFB. Every time facts are thrown at you, your shoulders shrug, eyes roll, and you continue down the hole you've dug.

Here are the numbers (100% accuracy) since 2009:

2009: zero
2010: zero, unless you count Cade Jones who was at WB, left for Regina for a year, then returned to WB for junior high.
2011: see 2011. none.
2012: see 2011.....add Dalton Grell, who came from IC West and played very little. Coleman Fenner, his family moved to WB. His step dad graduated from WB in 1999. In a strange twist of fate, his little sister transferred to Regina a year ago.

2013: none
2014: Jacob Giese from Wilton. His entire family lived in WB. Mom, Dad, Jacob.
2015: Aaron Barnes (was at WB, went to Regina for a season, returned). Cooper Koenig (was at WL).The family lives in, participates in, and loves the WB school district. His youngest sister is a junior and excels in basketball. His little brother will be in 3rd grade and already has the makings of a fantastic athlete....Jake Evans (his family lives in WB, moved here prior to 2016 season). Played one season. Decided not to go out in 2016, his senior year....Beau Cornwell (was in the ICCSD thru 8th grade. His family shopped around at many schools before deciding on WB. Beau's aunt and uncle have a house that literally sits 20 yards from the south endzone of the Lil Rose Bowl and is a great vantage point. His nephews attend WB and have for their entire lives.)....Derek Sparks (his family moved to WB and still lives in WB, he is the step brother of Jeff Bowie) played on special teams. He did not play FB after his sophomore season.

2016: Luca Passeri (moved from FL to live with his mother's family. She has lived in WB her entire life.)

2017: none
2018: Brad and Brady Hunger - attended ICCSD, parents open enrolled them to WB. Brad started at LB for a large portion of the season. Brady played on FS squad.

2019: none

FINAL TALLY SINCE 2009:

New students: 10
Former students who returned: 2 (Cade Jones and Aaron Barnes). Jones is in the top 3 RB, by statistics, to ever play at WB. Barnes is the best return man (by statistics) in the history of the school. They spent the majority of the years at WB so are 100% excluded from your narrative.

By your definition, "WB gets ALOT of transfers" means averaging one new kid per year.

I would bet everything I've ever made and will make that pretty much every school around has had that many open enrollments since 2009. You won't argue that because it doesn't fit the "WB recruits" narrative you push.

I stand by every bit of the 100% factual evidence above.
I will gladly meet with you, WBBF, and CID for a drink and pizza. We can chop it up and move on.

Peace.
I'm done.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily disagree with you. But, when many people use 'recruiting' and 'transfers' as a negative, to unfairly and incorrectly diminish the accomplishments of players...for nearly a decade...

And, then...when those schools whose fans were so loud and critical turn around and blatantly recruit and transfer in kids. It is very hypocritical. So, I'm going to point that out.

If a certain school hadn't suffered 10 years of unfair criticism regarding this issue, which other schools actually do and more often, it wouldn't probably be a big deal.
I wasn’t necessarily directing my response to you though I quoted your post. It was more in general to all posters. The accusations go with the success. Mediapolis got it with wrestling for a couple years.

Problem is parents tend to gravitate to schools who have athletic success especially if they’re good academic schools as well. With club sports being more prevalent families are friends with families from neighboring school districts even more. In the end outsiders will look at it as hey you must be recruiting to get a small number of athletes that are either open enrolling in or moving in when 99% of the time it’s not the case. It’s more of the family is recruiting the school district or town looking for a better life for their kids and family. Sustained success from the bottom up brings the attention and people say I want to be a part of that.

Reactions: Bluejay89
Mepo, I agree.

BlameIt...so basically most of the WB record holders were transfers. Big impact guys, Jones, Barnes, Koenig and Cornwell (rushing, returns and passing records).
And, where is Lonnie? Not so sure your list is complete.

Btw, 10 is far more impact transfers than you'll ever list for many other schools.

Lonnie isnt even on the team, fella

And your definition of impact and mine are vastly different. I'm more of a Webster's dictionary guy than urban dictionary

Look at a roster, dude. That will answer your question re: Lonnie. There are about 80 other boys in the HS that aren't playing football. Why didn't you ask about them?

I'll borrow the phrasing from above: because they don't fit your football narrative.

I told you months ago that LS was not going to have an impact on the team.

You make A LOT of claims re: WBFB. Every time facts are thrown at you, your shoulders shrug, eyes roll, and you continue down the hole you've dug.

Here are the numbers (100% accuracy) since 2009:

2009: zero
2010: zero, unless you count Cade Jones who was at WB, left for Regina for a year, then returned to WB for junior high.
2011: see 2011. none.
2012: see 2011.....add Dalton Grell, who came from IC West and played very little. Coleman Fenner, his family moved to WB. His step dad graduated from WB in 1999. In a strange twist of fate, his little sister transferred to Regina a year ago.

2013: none
2014: Jacob Giese from Wilton. His entire family lived in WB. Mom, Dad, Jacob.
2015: Aaron Barnes (was at WB, went to Regina for a season, returned). Cooper Koenig (was at WL).The family lives in, participates in, and loves the WB school district. His youngest sister is a junior and excels in basketball. His little brother will be in 3rd grade and already has the makings of a fantastic athlete....Jake Evans (his family lives in WB, moved here prior to 2016 season). Played one season. Decided not to go out in 2016, his senior year....Beau Cornwell (was in the ICCSD thru 8th grade. His family shopped around at many schools before deciding on WB. Beau's aunt and uncle have a house that literally sits 20 yards from the south endzone of the Lil Rose Bowl and is a great vantage point. His nephews attend WB and have for their entire lives.)....Derek Sparks (his family moved to WB and still lives in WB, he is the step brother of Jeff Bowie) played on special teams. He did not play FB after his sophomore season.

2016: Luca Passeri (moved from FL to live with his mother's family. She has lived in WB her entire life.)

2017: none
2018: Brad and Brady Hunger - attended ICCSD, parents open enrolled them to WB. Brad started at LB for a large portion of the season. Brady played on FS squad.

2019: none

FINAL TALLY SINCE 2009:

New students: 10
Former students who returned: 2 (Cade Jones and Aaron Barnes). Jones is in the top 3 RB, by statistics, to ever play at WB. Barnes is the best return man (by statistics) in the history of the school. They spent the majority of the years at WB so are 100% excluded from your narrative.

By your definition, "WB gets ALOT of transfers" means averaging one new kid per year.

I would bet everything I've ever made and will make that pretty much every school around has had that many open enrollments since 2009. You won't argue that because it doesn't fit the "WB recruits" narrative you push.

I stand by every bit of the 100% factual evidence above.
I will gladly meet with you, WBBF, and CID for a drink and pizza. We can chop it up and move on.

Peace.
I'm done.

I will be surprised if LS does not play this season or next season. I suspect there is more to the story. I guess we will see.

But, my 'narrative' remains and is proven by the high quantity of sports transfers that WB receives, especially in recent years, especially at high profile positions, especially at the level of setting school records.

Yet another time you dont believe people who give you facts. It has nothing to do with WB.

In the end, big guy, that's a YOU issue. Facts are given, you choose to disagree. You are the common denominator in every scenario of Truth vs Narrative

No, some of the facts were shared above. 10 transfers to the WB football program in recent years. And, some big ones.

Far exceeding the number and quality of transfers to other 1A schools.

10 in 10 years at WB.

Since this is a WB/Regins thread, please enlighten us to how many impact transfers are at Regina. Heck, I'll even let you off easy and ask about 2019 only.

I'll await your deflection.

10 in 10 years at WB.

Since this is a WB/Regins thread, please enlighten us to how many impact transfers are at Regina. Heck, I'll even let you off easy and ask about 2019 only.

I'll await your deflection.

I’m only aware of one new freshman who moved in from out of state. I’m not aware of any transfers from the area. No QB transfers in recent years.

I do know Regina lost a number of kids to City. One of the highest profile transfers in recent history resulted in a very good basketball player going to West High last season. Regina definitely loses more kids to transfers than they gain.

I’m only aware of one new freshman who moved in from out of state. I’m not aware of any transfers from the area. No QB transfers in recent years.

I do know Regina lost a number of kids to City. One of the highest profile transfers in recent history resulted in a very good basketball player going to West High last season. Regina definitely loses more kids to transfers than they gain.

I can name about 40 of them for the 2019 season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT