ADVERTISEMENT

Unsportsmanship like conduct............Glenwood

SASF

Freshman
Sep 11, 2008
I have seen literally hundreds of high school sporting events, from football to tennis. Yesterday I witnessed the worse case of sportsmanship I have ever seen. It happened right in front of me so I had an unobstructed view. The game was very physical; the refs were allowing the teams to play aggressively.

The Glenwood player (I won’t give a name or even a number) came up from behind the S.A. player and tackled him. He literally grabbed him around the waste, picked him up and threw him to the ground. Then while still behind him punched him in the back of the head, four times, one after another, four punches delivered very quickly. He was given a red card and ejected from the game.

This was one of the most cowardice acts I have ever seen, as the S.A. player got to his feet the cowardly Glenwood player took off running for his bench. The ref had to chase him down halfway across the field to give him the red card.
Later on in the game I saw two S.A. players help a Glenwood player to his feet after taking a hard shot at midfield, patting him on the back. Oh by the way the Falcons were behind 3-0 at the time.
S.A. may have lost that game but from what I saw Glenwood did not win anything except maybe the unsportsmanship trophy of the year.

Not exactly how everyone that was there saw it.

If the innocent St. Albert kid (that according to you did nothing) had received a red (instead of the yellow), he would be done for the season because of previous red cards.
It was very sad that the officials allowed the game to get as physical as it did to even get to that point.

This post was edited on 5/16 1:29 PM by all-gone

SASF...The Glenwood player punching the SA player did deserve the red card, no doubt. However, your account of what happened is incomplete and one-sided. Unfortunately, most people at the game (myself included) only saw the punching and not what might have happened beforehand that could have caused the Gwd player to start punching in the first place. Was he retaliating for something the refs missed perhaps? The center ref, who I've seen ref many times over the past 5 years for high school and club team games in Council Bluffs, often lets games get out of control and Saturday was no exception. I recall the SA team had at least 3 yellow cards in the second half to the one Glenwood red card and no Glenwood yellow cards so I find it hard to believe the Gwd player started punching the SA player for no reason.

I wasn't at this soccer match nor at the basketball game which had an ugly violent ending only a couple months ago, but what was the common thread between the two? St Alberts. Why?

Once in a great while someone goes off for no reason but back to back sports with the common thread...Saint Albert's being the "innocent" team. It's pretty obvious SOMETHING is going on which instigates these violent reactions. DO NOT get me wrong, there is no excuse for a violent reaction regardless of how provoked one is.

Jealousy of SA to blame? Possibe if it happened once, but not likely twice in this short time span, particularly when they are losing this match. SOMTHING HAPPENED... JUST LIKE IN THE BASKETBALL GAME. SOMETHING OBVIOUSLY HAPPENED TO PROVOKE THIS RESPONSE.

I think it's time these "situations" be investigated further, before someone gets seriously hurt involved in one of these "situations" SA seems to keep finding it's way into.

Originally posted by TopGun105:
SASF...The Glenwood player punching the SA player did deserve the red card, most people at the game (myself included) only saw the punching and not what might have happened beforehand that could have caused the Gwd player to start punching in the first place. so I find it hard to believe the Gwd player started punching the SA player for no reason.

TopGun you are no doubt a Glenwood fan. But to try to rationalize or condone the actions of the Glenwood player is just wrong. There is no justification for a player to ambush another player and then punch him in the back of the head, or anywhere for that matter!

Even if the SA player was talking trash, is a cowardly blindside physical attack OK in your book? Now you can try to sugar coat this anyway you want but the Glenwood player earns my vote for "Most classless player in SWI for the decade!

SASF, once again, I wasn't there BUT if this serious criminal assult happened the way you describe, I assume charges will be filed.

Charges would probably be good for all involved. You are right, no amount of provoking can justify a violent attack and this would be a great way to show it will not be condoned. It will also be the best way for the accused player to make a public record of his side of the story and what triggered that outburst.
This post was edited on 5/17 7:04 AM by ghost80

There was a LOT more to it than SASF has described (I was there and I didn't see it as SASF is describing it). Plus, the build-up to it was HUGE and UGLY. This is not SA 1st incident like this in soccer this year.

All gone, I think people will believe you. I've personally been to a number of Glenwood athletic events during the last several years, (multiple sports-both school and non school) and have not witnessed unsportsmanlike behavior. Pretty obvious there was more to the story to provoke this.

CBSA on the other hand has become like the kid everyone knows that whenever there is trouble, they seem to be involved.

SASF, SA is involved in their share of unsportsmanlike activity. One of the parties involved in the basketball playoff melee also picked up a T at the Well for taking a swing at a piece of equipment (but at least it wasn't at someone's head). I don't think the coaches and staff can address this with the kids either....after all, it was a sideliner (in a collar) who was flagged and nearly ejected last year at a non conference football game for inappropriate comments and behavior.

I still believe that if this behavior continues it should be futher reviewed to see if SOMETHING is causing this continued behavior.
This post was edited on 5/17 7:56 PM by ghost80

Wasn't at this game either, but from my personal experiences competing against Glenwood, I have nothing more then respect for their style of play and their respect for the game when it comes to soccer. If this has changed as of recently, then perhaps the attitude in Glenwood has changed. Highly unlikely that this happened unprovoked.

Very interesting that a majority of the posts are actually defending the cowardly behavior that the Glenwood player showed. Lets just say that the players from SASF did talk some trash #1 it does not justify the assualt that took place.

I know that the CBSA administration has received many letters form other teams and refs. and officials on the sportsmanship that the Falcons and Saintes have shown.

With that being said, trash talk happens in every sport. I suggest that if your skin is so thin that you can't handle a little trash talking without going ballistic then maybe you should only play bridge with the little old ladies on Sunday afternoons.

I don't think anyone is defending the actions of hitting. I believe it is reputation that is being discussed and that from previous situations, from both teams, it is the belief that it was not just talk that led to the altercation.

I could describe what I saw leading up to the incident and what happened on the ground after the tangled players went down; but, it would be pointless!

It was a blow to the testicles which triggered the basketball fiasco. Not just trash talk.

The "he said--she said" was whether it was intentional, accidental, or a clever combination of both.

I just hope next week we aren't reading about a "smack down" delivered via a baton to a CBSA track member or in a month someone throwing a bat at a SA pitcher.
This post was edited on 5/17 6:51 PM by ghost80

Originally posted by all-gone:
I don't think anyone is defending the actions of hitting. I believe it is reputation that is being discussed

Reputations are earned, I have been involved with SWI sports for over 40 years, I competted against many Glenwood teams in the past, never have I encountered anything but good sportsmanship. I have many friends that live in and around Glenwood and have kids that go there. This has not been the norm for Glenwood teams of the past....However I am concerned that if this palyer isn't dealt with accordingly then it may becaome part of Glenwoods reputation.

I was very upset by the total disregard the Glenwood player showed toward another human being. To attack someone from behind, throwing them to the ground , jumping on top of him while swinging very forcelfully at the SA players head, is literally a criminal offense, just because it is on a soccer field does not make it legal.

To top it off he then got up and ran away! The ball is in Glenwoods court, their reputaion will be determined on how they respond to this unfortunatle incident.

I couldn't DISAGREE with you more SASF.

What happened does not look good for Glenwood BUT it is an isolated instance with a school who is "earning" their reputation by repeatedly becoming involved in ugly violent instances with other schools. Glenwood seemed to have had a problem (once) getting along with someone who seems right now to be struggling getting along with anyone. Much to your disappointment that is why people are "tipping their hat" to Glenwood instead of sharing your views.

While I doubt it was "trash talking" only which started this, I will give you the benefit of the doubt mostly beacause you were there and I wasn't. Since you say SA trash talked, OK SA "only" trash talked. You then say others should "get thicker skin and play bridge on Sunday if they can't take a little trash talk".

You don't even realize how ignorant you sound saying this. Trash talk is not acceptable because it is poor sportsmanship and leads to bigger problems. You also make SA come off as a bunch of little kids who can "talk the talk but then can't walk the walk". In your eyes, it appears SA "opened their big mouths" and now cry foul over the results.

Kind of reminds me of the street thug who likes to bully and intimated people and then suddenly realized he screwed with the wrong person and when the outcome ends badly for him...expects people to feel sorry for him.
This post was edited on 5/18 8:34 AM by ghost80

Question for SASF: How have the SA players been "dealt with" this year after receiving their red card(s) & multiple yellow cards to help SA's reputation?

How would anyone of you felt if you had to sit in the stands and watch as your son was attacked from behind, picked up thrown to the ground? Then jumped on and punched in the back of the head repeatedly.

The same as the mother and father of the player from Glenwood felt watching what led up to it.

P.S. You do realize there were more people there watching it than you. Pictures show and other people do not feel your son was attacked from behind. You also might want to check out his facebook where he displays his yellow and red card count with pride.

If it were my kid, I would get the police and the player would be detained immediately before they even had a chance to leave the scene. Potential witnesses would be interviewed and evidence collected (film, ect). It would be even possible that the parties involved might be asked for voluntary testing (if the investigating officer felt there was reasonable cause).

That is what I would do if someone did that to my son in the manner you describe SASF. But then I've got nothing to hide and if my son did something to contribute to the problem (or something which might show up in a urine/blood screen)...he can answer for that to the investigators.
This post was edited on 5/18 12:58 PM by ghost80

I posted this thread because of what I saw at a highschool soccer match disturbed me. The total lack of sportsmanship shown by a player towards his opponent. If your fine with that ( which it seems like a lot of prople are) then I guess I have nothing to say to you.

It is a shame that a whole schools reputation can be changed in a blink of an eye. I know that the majority of people associated with Glenwood sports are not as misguided as the few who have posted here. I think that eventually the cream always rises to the top.

SASF,

Parent to parent, maybe you need to be more concerned/connected with your son's world and not worry about Glenwood's reputation.

I think the people following this thread can get a pretty good picture of what really happened and can make their own decisions.

BTW, my high schooler who plays soccer this season has NO Red cards and No Yellow cards. He instead has decided to focus on helping his team play well and win. That might be the route your son should explore because although they won't be playing CBSA, they have a better record than CBSA.

As people reading can tell, the match also disturbed Glenwood people. We do not condone fighting, nor do we want to see it again. Hopefully St Alberts and your son will make sure that they conduct themself in a way on the field to always prevent a fight as that is also part of sportsmanship.

The player that you have tried so hard to distroy is one of Glenwood's Cream and will rise to the top; but, he is also a kid that can only take so much!

ALWAYS remember to make sure your own closet is clean before you start trashing someone elses.
tired.gif

This post was edited on 5/18 5:06 PM by all-gone

Just so you know I do not have any children that are in school any more. They are all in their mid twenties.

I have not tried to destroy the player from Glenwood I have never mentioned his name or jersey number or any identifers, HE destroyed his own reputation.

When some one choses to use violence as a response to anyone it is their choice, it is not the coice of the one who got attacked.

Good luck to the Glenwood team I hope you do well in the playooffs, you have a good team and a good shot at being champs.......now play like it!

SHAME ON YOU SASF

Trying to put a "mark" on Glenwood's reputation by using a kid.
This post was edited on 5/19 9:25 AM by VLADIMER

Re: SHAME ON YOU SASF

VLADIMER,

+1 to your original message (before you edited it). You hit spot on!!

Re: SHAME ON YOU SASF

Why would you post this on a message board? If you really care about the situation call or email the AD. Posting on here is only an attempt to tarnish a schools reputation, which is rather sad.

Probably too late to contribute to this post. I have no connection to soccer, no kids playing it, don't watch it very much as it conflicts with the track season. However, I do have a son who's played against the almighty SA for many years in several other sports and who says, without a doubt, SA talks the most trash of teams he's faced. I also heard about "the incident" described here and will say I know this Glenwood player fairly well and was extremely surprised by his actions. This behavior is extraordinary for him. It's too bad it happened. But I do really wish the SA faithful would practice what the preach before the game.

I'd never seen CBSA play soccer until a couple weeks ago. Partially due to this thread (and an interest in seeing Jake on the soccer field) I took advantage of them being in the DM area and saw them play a couple games in the ADM tournament.

Very impressed with their play, discipline, and sportsmanship in this one. They pounded one 2A school and took a very good 2A WSR into OT.

Good job CBSA.

SA teams are no stranger to getting in fights in more than just soccer. I recall them getting into a fight in a basketball district game during the '09-10 season.

CBSA. I doubt many people in Harlan even know that there is a round ball also used for kicking. I'd bet the majority of the Harlanites couldn't tell a soccer ball from a volleyball (and even guessing should give them a fifty-fifty chance).

Strong words Ghost coming from a man who once tried to hatch a soccer ball because he thought it was an armadillo egg!

Spook,

There already is spring "football". I was at a match this week where the refs decided to let the kids play. There were some hitting going on that would have made even the biggest soccer hater watch with interest.

I'll tell you about it this weekend :)

Re: Harlan & St Albert

Impaler,

It wasn't the Harlan match, it was a 3A matchup in Des Moines.

Was the Harlan/Kuemper match a good one? Haven't seen either team play yet this year.

Re: Harlan & St Albert

CBSA or Harlan??? The question was answered on Saturday. CBSA beat Harlan in "football" 2-1.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT