Wahlert 6, Keokuk 0

Spencer 2, Decorah 0

Regina 1, South Tama 0

2-A

Dowling 4, Urbandale 1

IA City West 2, Hoover 1

Washington 2, SC East 0,

BETT 3, Linn-Mar 0

Unfortunate break that fell ICW's favor at the end of the game. The ball got pushed out of bounds when DM Hoover earned a free kick within range. Clock was not stopped to allow for the possible game changing attempt.

Took WDM Dowling Catholic awhile too heat up but once they got going they were off to the races. Urbandale seemed to have several solid chances as well.

So much for the 6-0 and 4-1 predictions favoring Glenwood over Norwalk. Game was very close but when Norwalk decided to play to feet and possess the ball, it was obvious who was mostly in control. It did sway several times in both teams favor for possession and control of the tempo. Glenwood came out very strong and had Norwalk locked in for a 15 minutes or so. They had a very close shot from a free kick that went just over the cross bar. I was so displeased with this game having to take place so early on in the tournament. This was a great game to watch. I'm not sure who scored for Glenwood, but Norwalk's Justin Coughennour and Eric May scored the goals. The game could have gone either way on several different occasions. Lots of missed opportunities by both squads. Definitely a great season for Glenwood and its unfortunate that the huge group of seniors that they had have to go home early.

Also surprised by Regina's win over South Tama. I heard the score was much closer then it should have been. I was at the Norwalk vs. Glenwood game so i wasn't able to scoot over there and take any decent peeks.

I see that spencer avenged one of their 2 loses on the year with a 2-0 win over decorah. was anybody able to watch the game and give some insight on it. Spencer is a dangerous team that only needs a coupld of good looks and they will put them away.

I personally was only able to glance over from time to time. They were up 1-0 close to the end of halftime. I do recall Decorah having some larger players up top near the end? Looked like no speed up top for them. Once again i wasn't able to see much of it at all. It was also hard to watch since the teams were wearing bright red and bright blue. I heard someone say that they were controlling the game for awhile in the 2nd half. I'm not sure if that is true or not.

'Unfortunate break that fell ICW's favor at the end of the game. The ball got pushed out of bounds when DM Hoover earned a free kick within range. Clock was not stopped to allow for the possible game changing attempt.'

Norwalk apparently fell asleep for most of the 2nd half, as Iowa City West DOMINATED the goal scoring attempts against Hoover. 2 Off the Post, plus about 2-3 others that could have been scored. Hoover is very Lucky that game wasn't 5-1.

And Norwalk complains about 2-3 seconds at the end of the game for a miracle 40 yard shot LOL

I heard norwalks complaint department was working overtime that day. I also heard whoever was spectatingknew who was the better team, granted the score, Norwalk doesnt have enough to repeat.

From a Glenwood fan's perspective, the Glenwood/Norwalk game was a good game. The better team won yesterday. Norwalk's first goal happened when their strong group of players up top countered at a time when Glenwood's defense was caught pressing up too far. It was good to see Glenwood come back with a goal to tie it 1-1 in the first half. From my view, Norwalk didn't start its possession game, which was effective, until they went up 2-1. Good luck to Norwalk for the rest of the tournament.

Glenwood's senior class will be missed. They were freshmen when Glenwood last went to state in 2005. Ironically, in 2005, Glenwood lost 0-1 on the same field with the same center ref.

Not using as an excuse as I feel Norwalk should have won, but with six minutes left when a foul was called about twenty five out when advantage should have been played and Jace Peters belted one in the corner, but was called back. Unlucky. I thought it was interesting how no one understood how big that was. I actually thought both teams looked slow and tentative. Most of the game was played in the mid-field, with chances few and far between. Good luck to Norwalk.

Jax, Agree that the ref took advantage away before Peters' shot but my sense was that most players (including Norwalk's keeper) let up after hearing the whistle and then Jace took the shot. IMO, refereeing did not affect the outcome of the game.

1-A -

Norwalk 1, Spencer 1 (Norwalk wins shootout 4-3)

Wahlert 1, Regina 0

2-A -

Iowa City West 4, BETT 0

Dowling 2, Washington 1 (OT)

The Dowling game was incredible. Amazing soccer there between two great teams. Scott Waggonner had an amazing game, including scoring the first goal and could have tapped the second in if he wanted.

Scott now has 35 goals and 13 assists in the year, which would be outstanding career statistics. What a player!
This post was edited on 5/30 10:43 PM by Hawk31Eye

PerryWhite - go home dude.

Wow was there some great soccer played today! ICW controlled the game versus Bettendorf today. Should be a great 2A championship rematch of last years first round game.

WDM Dowling Catholic was on fire for most of the game but somehow let in a crazy goal that kept the game close. Maxey and co. had several opportunities and good god Wesley Erickson's shot over the crossbar was absolutely phenomenal!

Norwalk did not play very well today. At times, they looked good but it seemed as if the intensity was a little shallow when compared to there previous game vs. Glenwood. Max Crum came up with an incredible save in the shootout to put Norwalk ahead by a goal. Junior Eric May finishes the shootout with a nicely placed kick. Great game that could have gone either way, especially with the shot that Spenser had that hit the post in 2OT. Spenser played with a lot of heart and guts and should definitely be where they are. They are surely state worthy and have proven themselves. I was highly impressed. It was a rough game at times and several calls were iffy at times from both teams' points of view.

#20 on Spenser:
Next time you "score" on a free kick... holster your guns when your shot was actually a cross. Sure was a cute little taunt after that shot that sailed in the air for eternity before finding its way in the net. That surely wasn't any sort of bullet, so take it easy. Your guns were not a-blazin'.

Originally posted by TopGun105:
Jax, Agree that the ref took advantage away before Peters' shot but my sense was that most players (including Norwalk's keeper) let up after hearing the whistle and then Jace took the shot. IMO, refereeing did not affect the outcome of the game.

Ya, I would have made the same call as the ref in the situation because the foul was blatant, its just unlucky.

Dowling Catholic-Iowa City West is going to be a great game today. After the collapse by the Maroons last year against City West, this is going to be an epic game. The 1A game is going to be a good one also, I think Norwalk will pull it off but after that long game they had to play yesterday, it could be kind of tough.

Norwalk guy- Dude im in the Yukon (Canada) its a little hard.

Norwalk = Luck, not skill

Your male partner Junior Eric May is not as good as you think, Ive seen him play a couple regular season games. Hopefully in the champship they will be shown how to play, someone needs to do it.

1-A -

Wahlert 3, Norwalk 2 (Wahlert scores two goals in the last 5 minutes of the game)

2-A -

Dowling 1, Iowa City West 0 (Dowling finds the net with about 3:30 seconds left in the game)

Dowling's goal was by Scott Waggonner....his 36th of the year, to go along with 13 assists.

Then, for lifting his shirt up over his head and running around (a great celebration for soccer), he gets a yellow card and has to sit out the rest of the game. Why was this given a card when earlier in the game, the West forward ran over the Dowling goalie? The refs were less than spectacular in this one.

Also, what is up with not giving the champions the trophy? Yes, the fans ran out on the field when allowed, but what kind of a fan wouldn't go out to celebrate a championship with their team? Dumb rule...those kids deserved to be able to hold up the championship trophy for all of the fans.

Great game by both teams, but especially to Dowling. They had so many chances that just missed and finally put one in to win.

The reason being for the yellow is simple that kind of celebration is a mandatory caution removing your shirt and pulling over your head or covering your head will always result in a caution.

That actually was a cross you retard if you didnt see Carson Baethke hit it with his head. Spencer should have won that game with the shot off the post in second overtime. There coach even said it to the spencer players.

All I can say is wow, Wahlert wins, no one picks them to do anything, no respect from anyone state wide, they win with heart and an unbelieveable will. Norwalk was tough, very confident, but conservative at the end. Go EAGLES!!

It looked to me like Wahlert let Norwalk hang around, and then ended it when THEY wanted to. I think they wanted an exciting finish like their basketball team had.

Norwalk let DW hang around. They let every team this tournament stay in the game. There was simply not cut throat urgency to put teams away early. Look at each game. Norwalk goes up 1-0 while dominating the field. They back off the pressure and the other team scores right before half time. Then Norwalk puts one in keeping the game closer then it should be.

Not exactly sure what they were thinking when not marking #12 of DW. He had been firing shots from outside the whole 2nd half. What else does it take to know that hes going to be the difference maker?

Hell of an effort by #2 when framing the goal and putting that shot away on the back post. He was left wide stinking open.

Im going to have to give props to Norwalk's Max Crum for stepping in as the 3rd string goal keeper and coming up with some big saves during the tournament for Norwalk. Ben Smiley was missed but part of being a good team is being able to cope with the shortcomings and injuries that can and will plague a team.

Losing like that is the worst way that the Norwalk seniors could have went out. For what they have accomplished in their careers, they should have probably deserved to win that trophy, but just like we all know: You win some and you lose some.

All in all it was a great tournament. I am glad Dowling won. I am also glad that its all over. :D

Originally posted by 4_1A_2_Nv:
Norwalk let DW hang around. They let every team this tournament stay in the game. There was simply not cut throat urgency to put teams away early. Look at each game. Norwalk goes up 1-0 while dominating the field. They back off the pressure and the other team scores right before half time. Then Norwalk puts one in keeping the game closer then it should be.

:D

I'll agree that Norwalk had no urgency to score the entire tournament, but possession (which Norwalk had) is one thing and pressure on goal is entirely another. I know in the Glenwood game there was little pressure on goal.

Congratulations to the Golden Eagles! I believe it's the first time a Dubuque school has made it past the quarterfinals in this sport in any class. And to beat a great defending champion like Norwalk! Hats off to two great teams.

I thought the articles in the paper were good. I was glad to see Tony Maxey's recognition of Kyle Zobeck from Iowa City West. This has become quite the rivalry in the past few years. Last year was a crazy game and so was this years! I can't wait to see these guys meet again after ICW graduates 10 seniors and WDM Dowling graduates 8. Both teams lose there goal keepers.

What a great 2A tournament. It seems like any game that had either ICW or Dowling on the field was fun to watch! Especially the DM Hoover vs ICW game. Even the Urbandale vs Dowling game was heated at times!

Man did i have a blast his weekend. Not to mention my newly founded farmer tan :D

I was worried because ICW was rotating so much and were wearing out DCHS pretty bad. That forced DCHS to rotate more than usual. In the end though it was the midfield that did the trick for DCHS, they had so much more control in that portion of the field no matter who ICW had on the field. It was disappointing the team did not get the trophy on the field but it is a state title anyway you slice it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT