ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry bammer buds.... you ain't in.

Can we all agree that the way FBS schools recruit and the number of scholarships that can be offered makes our game VERY different from the NFL, FCS, all other lower-tier college football and high school football leagues operate?

If you answer yes then you can also agree that larger brackets for playoffs aren't the same for FBS football as well. If NFL teams were allowed to "recruit" instead of draft, that would change how meaningful their extended playoff brackets were as well.

I'm not saying that I'm completely against a larger playoff format (more college football sounds great to me) but I do believe that it will impact the regular season negatively.

FFS...Bama lost in week 2. We knew we couldn't lose again the rest of the season if we were going to have any shot whatsoever. And even then, after winning out, getting in wasn't a sure thing. That adds more meaning to the regular season.

And yes, I fully recognize that many teams would have been out regardless after losing in week 2 like we did. Is that fair? I honestly DGAF about fair. If Ole Miss had been dominating college football for the better part of two decades and they lost in week 2, the same standard would have applied.

I see your "fair" and I raise you reality.
Yeah, truthfully if they’d have gone for 8 teams playing three rounds (no byes) I’d have been okay with it. Rare is the year #9 ranked (sorry Mizzou) can claim a legitimate shot but the 12 team format is fine…..until the no bye teams start bitching……and they will.

Reactions: BamaFan1137
Actually, this is the most accurate CFP FBS-Div 1 bracket I've seen...

FBS Playoffs 2023.jpg
That’s 17-18 games. I don’t dislike it but to do this you may drop back to 11 games and nix the conf title games. SEC makes bank on that game.

I like 12 team format, 8 play 1st and 4 get byes…. Should mean “something” to be top 4

But phucking B1G and ACC will cry regardless for some damn reason…. In fact I love how well the “Alliance” worked out for the PAC and ACC….PAC gets butchered by their Alliance partner B1G, and the Alliance efforts to postpone expansion bites the ACC square in the nads

No offense Reasoned…. But some of those B1G East teams/fans are whining b!tches

That’s 17-18 games. I don’t dislike it but to do this you may drop back to 11 games and nix the conf title games. SEC makes bank on that game.

The tiktok link that I posted that wouldn't work shows how we could devide the country into regions, eliminate conferences, promote and demote teams from top level competition (whatever that would be called) based on performance and basically the entire season is a playoff.

Yes, it would work. Yes it would allow us to find a champion equitably. And yes, it would be total fvcking chaos.

I'll find it again somewhere. It was well done and well explained. Quite genius actually...but the end result wouldn't be college football as we know it.

The tiktok link that I posted that wouldn't work shows how we could devide the country into regions, eliminate conferences, promote and demote teams from top level competition (whatever that would be called) based on performance and basically the entire season is a playoff.

Yes, it would work. Yes it would allow us to find a champion equitably. And yes, it would be total fvcking chaos.

I'll find it again somewhere. It was well done and well explained. Quite genius actually...but the end result wouldn't be college football as we know it.
Sounds like frigging British soccer with 20 differing leagues and relegation up, down sideways …. Ted Lasso shite

I like 12 team format, 8 play 1st and 4 get byes…. Should mean “something” to be top 4

But phucking B1G and ACC will cry regardless for some damn reason…. In fact I love how well the “Alliance” worked out for the PAC and ACC….PAC gets butchered by their Alliance partner B1G, and the Alliance efforts to postpone expansion bites the ACC square in the nads

Amen. Reasoned is a B1G fan but he's also a college football purist. I imagine he'd like a solution that worked but that didn't change the nature of the game.

These others that you're referring to are seemingly willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Agreed 100%
Not sure what “alliance” there is/was between B1G and ACC. I do know the PAC just blew up because their “premier” schools were going for the $ promised from the B1G conference. I also was unaware of any efforts to delay expansion. I think all these conferences want to ensure the revenue streams are enhanced…. which is what everything is about, MONEY
None taken, I’m no shill for the B1G and find many things east of the Mississippi (and to the north 😉) rather offensive , I’m just a Hawk fan whose team happens to belong to the B1G…….but my heart is with the SEC

Amen. Reasoned is a B1G fan but he's also a college football purist. I imagine he'd like a solution that worked but that didn't change the nature of the game.
Nope, only “a B1G fan” by association of Iowa and geography. I do love college football but I’m very concerned about the potential direction it’s going with all these conference realignments, NIL affects and portal use.

Agreed 100%

Not sure what “alliance” there is/was between B1G and ACC. I do know the PAC just blew up because their “premier” schools were going for the $ promised from the B1G conference. I also was unaware of any efforts to delay expansion. I think all these conferences want to ensure the revenue streams are enhanced…. which is what everything is about, MONEY

None taken, I’m no shill for the B1G and find many things east of the Mississippi (and to the north 😉) rather offensive , I’m just a Hawk fan whose team happens to belong to the B1G…….but my heart is with the SEC
You must not remember the short lived Alliance between the B1G, ACC, and PAC back when Texas and OK announced for the SEC. Lead by the B1G commissioner to “offset the threat posed to college football by the SEC...” One idea was to not have any in those conferences schedule regular season games with the SEC.....that idea died quickly. Their other brain child was to disagree with the SEC position on 12-team expansion just to frigging disagree. They succeeded in scuttling the efforts for a 12-team playoff expansion earlier - their only “success”.

....which is why I’m chuckling at the FSU angst

Then B1G poached USC and UCLA... so much for the Alliance.....I‘m astounded you don’t have recollection of those 3 conference commissioners puffing out their chests announcing their strong united reaction to the threat of the SEC..... you should google that shite; funny as hell in retrospect

• Love
You must not remember the short lived Alliance between the B1G, ACC, and PAC back when Texas and OK announced for the SEC. Lead by the B1G commissioner to “offset the threat posed to college football by the SEC...” One idea was to not have any in those conferences schedule regular season games with the SEC.....that idea died quickly. Their other brain child was to disagree with the SEC position on 12-team expansion just to frigging disagree. They succeeded in scuttling the efforts for a 12-team playoff expansion earlier - their only “success”.

....which is why I’m chuckling at the FSU angst

Then B1G poached USC and UCLA... so much for the Alliance.....I‘m astounded you don’t have recollection of those 3 conference commissioners puffing out their chests announcing their strong united reaction to the threat of the SEC..... you should google that shite; funny as hell in retrospect
I must confess I don’t have recollection of any of that (probably wasn’t paying attention because of concerns about the insurrectionist in the WH 🙄) but will look this up.

I must confess I don’t have recollection of any of that (probably wasn’t paying attention because of concerns about the insurrectionist in the WH 🙄) but will look this up.
Linky

also from ESPN

On Aug. 24, the commissioners of the ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 held a joint video conference to announce the Alliance, a new partnership between three of the five most powerful conferences in college athletics.

The launch generated immediate reaction -- and memes from "The Office" -- and set expectations for significant action, but its ambiguity also prompted plenty of questions. Most notably: What exactly is it?

The Alliance came together weeks after the SEC's stunning addition of Oklahoma and Texas, and amid a turbulent and transformative summer for college athletics. It was formed, in part, as a response to realignment and the SEC's power play. The main purpose was to pump the brakes on poaching teams and not generate more disruption, but it also drew clear tribal lines, distancing Alliance members from the ever-growing SEC and the weakened Big 12.

Last week marked six months since the Alliance was announced, and while the three leagues are working behind the scenes, the same existential question many asked about the pact remains.

The Alliance popped back onto fans' radar last month when College Football Playoff expansion negotiations collapsed after an 8-3 vote, with the ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 later revealed as the only dissenters against a proposed 12-team model. The leagues were portrayed as obstinate toward a more inclusive system many had been clamoring for, and while each maintains that it voted independently because of its distinct concerns, their link through the Alliance made them easy targets.

Six months in, the Alliance has accomplished some of its stated goals, namely stability within its ranks. Although conference realignment continued after the initial announcement, the ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 have remained intact. The three leagues have aimed to increase games between them in the highest-profile sports, while pooling resources to address areas impacting student-athletes, such as physical and mental wellness, academics, social justice and diversity, equity and inclusion.

But the front-facing items for the Alliance, namely football scheduling, haven't gained significant traction. Those in the Alliance say they're making progress and even exceeding initial expectations, but some on the outside claim the impact has been negligible, at best.

Several Alliance football matchups are set and others are coming, but there hasn't been a major scheduling surge.

The CFP fallout, meanwhile, underscores the confusion and mystery that still surrounds the Alliance. Commissioners Jim Phillips (ACC), Kevin Warren (Big Ten) and George Kliavkoff (Pac-12) spoke last week with ESPN's Andrea Adelson, Heather Dinich and Adam Rittenberg to help clear up what the Alliance is and where it's going. ESPN also reached out to leaders in college athletics who work outside of the Alliance to help determine how it's perceived.

- The above was from March 1, 2022....B1G poaches USC and UCLA June 30, 2022

Last edited:
Linky

also from ESPN

On Aug. 24, the commissioners of the ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 held a joint video conference to announce the Alliance, a new partnership between three of the five most powerful conferences in college athletics.

The launch generated immediate reaction -- and memes from "The Office" -- and set expectations for significant action, but its ambiguity also prompted plenty of questions. Most notably: What exactly is it?

The Alliance came together weeks after the SEC's stunning addition of Oklahoma and Texas, and amid a turbulent and transformative summer for college athletics. It was formed, in part, as a response to realignment and the SEC's power play. The main purpose was to pump the brakes on poaching teams and not generate more disruption, but it also drew clear tribal lines, distancing Alliance members from the ever-growing SEC and the weakened Big 12.

Last week marked six months since the Alliance was announced, and while the three leagues are working behind the scenes, the same existential question many asked about the pact remains.

The Alliance popped back onto fans' radar last month when College Football Playoff expansion negotiations collapsed after an 8-3 vote, with the ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 later revealed as the only dissenters against a proposed 12-team model. The leagues were portrayed as obstinate toward a more inclusive system many had been clamoring for, and while each maintains that it voted independently because of its distinct concerns, their link through the Alliance made them easy targets.

Six months in, the Alliance has accomplished some of its stated goals, namely stability within its ranks. Although conference realignment continued after the initial announcement, the ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 have remained intact. The three leagues have aimed to increase games between them in the highest-profile sports, while pooling resources to address areas impacting student-athletes, such as physical and mental wellness, academics, social justice and diversity, equity and inclusion.

But the front-facing items for the Alliance, namely football scheduling, haven't gained significant traction. Those in the Alliance say they're making progress and even exceeding initial expectations, but some on the outside claim the impact has been negligible, at best.

Several Alliance football matchups are set and others are coming, but there hasn't been a major scheduling surge.

The CFP fallout, meanwhile, underscores the confusion and mystery that still surrounds the Alliance. Commissioners Jim Phillips (ACC), Kevin Warren (Big Ten) and George Kliavkoff (Pac-12) spoke last week with ESPN's Andrea Adelson, Heather Dinich and Adam Rittenberg to help clear up what the Alliance is and where it's going. ESPN also reached out to leaders in college athletics who work outside of the Alliance to help determine how it's perceived.

In a nutshell...if not for the Alliance, FSU and UGA are in the playoffs.

Reactions: IrishPokerDog
Nope, only “a B1G fan” by association of Iowa and geography. I do love college football but I’m very concerned about the potential direction it’s going with all these conference realignments, NIL affects and portal use.

Yea, I should have worded that differently.

Reactions: Reasoned
Thanks IPD
also from ESPN

It was formed, in part, as a response to realignment and the SEC's power play. The main purpose was to pump the brakes on poaching teams and not generate more disruption, but it also drew clear tribal lines, distancing Alliance members from the ever-growing SEC and the weakened Big 12.
Seems odd their concern about SEC growth or dominance, they’re already about 20 years late to the party. Plus, in reality the Big 12 was the most at risk. They lost Texas and Oklahoma, and picked up AZ, AZ St, CO & Utah? 🤔 not much substance there.
The Alliance popped back onto fans' radar last month when College Football Playoff expansion negotiations collapsed after an 8-3 vote, with the ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 later revealed as the only dissenters against a proposed 12-team model.
Had to be a money concern.
Six months in, the Alliance has accomplished some of its stated goals, namely stability within its ranks. Although conference realignment continued after the initial announcement, the ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 have remained intact.
Oops for the PAC
The three leagues have aimed to increase games between them in the highest-profile sports, while pooling resources to address areas impacting student-athletes, such as ……., social justice and diversity, equity and inclusion.
They should collapse just for that.🙄
The CFP fallout, meanwhile, underscores the confusion and mystery that still surrounds the Alliance. Commissioners Jim Phillips (ACC), Kevin Warren (Big Ten) and George Kliavkoff (Pac-12)

Hope Ole George gets a good reference from the other two 😊

Reactions: IrishPokerDog
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT