ADVERTISEMENT

RPI After 3 Games

KidSilverhair

Varsity
Aug 31, 2008
www.thirdandamile.blogspot.com
As I said earlier, I'm kind of a nerd when it comes to numbers, so even though the state said they'd start publishing RPI after Week 4 I built myself a spreadsheet to calculate Class 3A RPI on my own. It was a bit of a pain, and putting in the won-loss records every week is a pain, too, but ... I guess I have too much time on my hands (my wife would not agree I use my time wisely, though).

After three weeks, assuming my sheet was built correctly and I didn't get bad score information from somewhere, here are the top 16 RPIs in Class 3A so far. Teams that also have the best record in their district are indicated with (*):
  1. Sioux City Heelan / .7433 *
  2. Lewis Central / .7207 *
  3. ADM / .7135 *
  4. Clear Creek Amana / .6934 *
  5. Independence / .6816 *
  6. Xavier / .6728 *
  7. Sergeant Bluff Luton / .6698
  8. Solon / .6687 *
  9. Western Dubuque / .6677 *
  10. Waverly Shell Rock / .6574 *
  11. Pella / .6528 *
  12. Storm Lake / .6497
  13. Harlan / .6343
  14. Glenwood / .6096
  15. Carlisle / .6091
  16. Center Point Urbana / .6008
You'll notice there's nobody from District 2. The top RPI in D-2 is Humboldt at .5736, followed by Boone at .5463 and Webster City at .5437.

Anyway, purely for fun. Please, no wagering.

Can you plug these into your formula?
Team a is 3-0
Team A opponents are 2-7
Team A opponents opponents are 17-9

Team B is 3-0
Team B opponents are 3-6
Team B opponents opponents are 20-7

Thanks

It will be interesting to see how ADM stacks up against Lewis Centrals weapons.

Two teams that are getting better every week are Heelan and SBL.

I tend to think so too, LC appears to be executing at a high clip. Running clock in every game and doing all their work in the first half.

Heelan is probably the next best team on the west side of the state.

Can you plug these into your formula?
Team a is 3-0
Team A opponents are 2-7
Team A opponents opponents are 17-9

Team B is 3-0
Team B opponents are 3-6
Team B opponents opponents are 20-7

Thanks

I get .6218 for the first example (own WP 1.000 x .375 = .375; OWP .2222 x .375 = .0833; OOWP .6538 x .25 = .1635).

Second example .6852 (own WP again = .375; OWP .3333 x .375 = .1250; OOWP .7407 x .25 = .1852)

(You’ve also got Team A’s opponents’ opponents with 26 games and Team B’s with 27 - not sure if that’s what you meant or not.)

I get .6218 for the first example (own WP 1.000 x .375 = .375; OWP .2222 x .375 = .0833; OOWP .6538 x .25 = .1635).

Second example .6852 (own WP again = .375; OWP .3333 x .375 = .1250; OOWP .7407 x .25 = .1852)

(You’ve also got Team A’s opponents’ opponents with 26 games and Team B’s with 27 - not sure if that’s what you meant or not.)

Thanks

Good job. There'll be lots of movement among these teams as some have had fairly easy schedules thus far and the tough games are ahead, and vice versa with others. The power teams that everybody's been talking about will cluster near the top as the weeks go on. Two are there already.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Good job. There'll be lots of movement among these teams as some have had fairly easy schedules thus far and the tough games are ahead, and vice versa with others. The power teams that everybody's been talking about will cluster near the top as the weeks go on. Two are there already.

Who are the two?

I would agree. It is still early.

These early season rankings are just talking points. It is the best anyone can do.

It will be interesting to see how ADM stacks up against Lewis Centrals weapons.

Two teams that are getting better every week are Heelan and SBL.

ADM is 3-0 with a combined margin of victory of 16pts against teams with a combined record of 3-6. It will be downright ugly Week 9 in Council Bluffs.

LC will be able to give minutes to the bench before heading into the playoffs.

Another thing that has happened since these have been released is that West Delaware picked up a forfeit win against Mount Vernon, and Storm Lake did the same against Humboldt.

Silverhair I would guess that you didn't include teams that haven't been played yet, where as the state did.

adm vs lewis central...i was at one site that predicts scores, it says lewis central 46, adm 0

Stick - since you are a DCG homer and always negative vs ADM, your comments are not unexpected.

Let's be honest, Lewis Central is going to thrash a lot of 3A schools this year.

ADM is 3-0 with a combined margin of victory of 16pts against teams with a combined record of 3-6. It will be downright ugly Week 9 in Council Bluffs.

LC will be able to give minutes to the bench before heading into the playoffs.

3 games in.....and none of these RPI's are accurate. There is no reason to complain and/or criticize them, the lack of games for comparison just doesnt give enough information.

Stick - since you are a DCG homer and always negative vs ADM, your comments are not unexpected.

Let's be honest, Lewis Central is going to thrash a lot of 3A schools this year.

Gotta be honest Dew, it isn't easy being a Stang fan this year.

Impressive continuous clock win over Boone for your Tigers. Still gotta side with Harlan next week but if you can beat them you should be 8-0 going into Council Bluffs. Good luck.....might even jump over and watch your game next week..

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Heelan is horrible in the secondary and really thin at WR too. They have decent size and are really good upfront, which I know means a lot, but their secondary and receivers just don’t seem to be as athletic as most teams

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT