ADVERTISEMENT

Radio for tonights games

Oct 3, 2014
Hey I am posting this to all the forums to try and get the radio stations covering tonights games. I can't make it out to any of the games tonight but I would love to flip around to various games using the tune-in app or online. Thanks!!

Extremely physical. I feel beat up after just watching it. I figured Pella would have a tough time against Xavier's defense, but Pella's defense really showed up tonight, too. Pella didn't even try to run the ball, threw it 53 times for about 225 yards - Aaron Downs, the sophomore receiver, caught almost everything in his zip code in the first three quarters, even with Xavier defenders hanging on him. Xavier never really got a steady running game going, as Pella's defensive front was not allowing a push from Xavier's line.

Xavier missed a couple of chances (Ben Conrad missed a 36-yard field goal, which never happens; Schulte had a shot at maybe a TD pass in the 2nd quarter that was intercepted on a good play by Gustafson; some really badly timed penalties hurt a bunch) but Pella wasn't making it easy on them. The defense forced two Xavier fumbles (the Saints had three turnovers tonight, after having only five all year). Meanwhile Xavier kept Pella out of the red zone until the final 5 minutes or so.

Xavier's scores came on big plays - Schulte hit Kyle Moeder for a 51-yard TD in the first quarter (must have been busted coverage, because nobody was near Moeder) and then they ran the double-pass that they used against Pella in the championship last year, with Schulte throwing a long lateral pass to Bryson Bastian, who then threw to Moeder down the sideline for a 72-yard score with 8 minutes left. Pella responded after that with a 15-play drive and scored on a halfback pass, but they burned all their time outs (and also failed on the extra point after a bad snap).

Pella forced a fumble near midfield three plays after their touchdown to give them a chance, and they were able to drive inside the 10 (converting two 4th downs on the way, although one was by a Xavier penalty), but a loss on a draw play and three incomplete passes gave Xavier the ball back with 33 seconds left.

Reactions: Iowasportsnut
Xavier - Pella was a great game again. Very, very physical as Kid said. Lots of sore kids today, I'm guessing. To nobody's surprise, Pella had trouble moving the ball on offense, but I was pleasantly surprised how stout Pella's D was. Did better than in the championship game last year. Ended up being a very exciting ending with Pella inside the 10 trying to get a potentially game tying TD (but would have needed a 2 point conversion which would have been far from a gimme).

Great year for the Dutch again. Pella and Xavier are both very physical. I don't think many teams will be able to stand up physically to Xavier. Look for them to steamroll Decorah next week and potentially set up the showdown with LC. Looking forward to seeing that game if they both win next week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT